As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Backwards Compatibility] I Want to Play My Game Dammit!

minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
So back in the days of the first Xbox, I had myself a game called Bloodwake:

Blood_Wake_Coverart.png

I really loved the game, and when the time came to sell my Xbox to get some spare money and space for a 360, I kept this game, in hopes that I will one day be able to play it again. Much to my disappointment this day never came and never will come because Microsoft stopped working on making old Xbox games compatible with the 360. And so I am sad, but I refuse to let go of the game. I retain some hope that by some miracle I will be able to play it once again.

So fellow forumers, what games did you hope would become compatible with new consoles but instead your hopes and dreams were smashed to bits?

minirhyder on

• Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm just really hoping that a backwards compatible PS3 gets released eventually. I'd rather not go hunting on Ebay.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Like half my collection for the original Xbox. They really disappointed me with their backwards compatibility. The disc drive failed on my original XBox and since the original Xbox was discontinued by then I was rather SoL. I ended up trading in a large amount of them for there PS2 equivalents, but there are still some I can't play.
    I probably miss the Otogi games the most.

Lars on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder what the chance is of them brute-forcing the oXbox BC on their next console (ie: What the PS3 does with PS1 games).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Battlezone and Heavy Gears 2.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not to drag this thread into the PC gaming area, but backwards compatibility is one big reason I prefer my PC games and only rarely buy games for my PS3.

I just don't think backwards compatibility is ever going to be a big priority for console developers because as much money as there is in making old games possible to play, there's a lot more in making new games.

Some have made pretty good steps in this direction, Nintendo with their VC and Microsoft with Live for things like the remake of Conker or remake of Perfect Dark, but I think for consoles your only real possibility to play old games is to keep your old consoles around.

I recently rebought a mint-condition N64 from a collector who had decided to abandon his collection and its definitely worth the purchase if you liked N64s back then.

Dhalphir on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I recently rebought a mint-condition N64 from a collector who had decided to abandon his collection and its definitely worth the purchase if you liked N64s back then.

Having pulled out the 64 fairly recently, I can second that the AKI wrestling games are still just as awesome as they were back then with four players.

None of the other guys had played it before and it was a lot of fun.

Kelor on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm still upset that I'll never be able to enjoy Future Perfect again on my xbox. Though being able to play Jet Set Radio Future is a nice consolation prize (and damn does it look good on a 360).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll second TS3 and add in Capcom vs SNK 2.

Shutdown on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The lack of backward compatibility is one of the main reasons I bought a 360 over a PS3.

Well, that + cost + Mass Effect. But, ya know, it's in there.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Buy it again!

Only 1500 Microsoft points!

Barcardi on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I joke about this from time to time, but if you look at the BC list on Wikipedia for the 360 I can almost guarantee you that whatever good game you're thinking of does not run perfectly without some kind of a hitch to it. Panzer Dragoon? Not if you live in Europe. Jet Set Radio Future? It's got slowdown in certain sections and the map is bugged. Silent Hill 2? Hahahaha. MvC2? I don't even know why they bothered saying it was BC, but now that it's on XBLA it's not an issue.

Just to list some games that do run mostly fine, barring some resolution shenanigans: Aquaman, Circus Maximus, Robin Hood, and so many other great games! Basically what I'm saying is that I wish JSRF didn't have the slowdown, because the map sucks anyway and I never bothered with custom sprays. If the slowdown was gone it would be perfect for me.

Gilder on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gen 2 and before pokeymanz games :(

But that's literal hardware limitations. Still though

Edit: And I meant BC in the sense of trading with them, not anything else

Rent on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The whole PoP: SoT Trilogy. I have SoT on PS2 and my PS3 is new enough that it doesn't do BC. I have WW and tTT on Xbox, and those 2 never made it onto the 360 BC list. :(

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd kill to have Blast Corps on Virtual Console. Fuck Nintendo for selling Rare. Fuck Microsoft for buying Rare. Fuck Rare for letting themselves get bought. And fuck you 360 owners who will probably get Blast Corps someday.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not to drag this thread into the PC gaming area, but backwards compatibility is one big reason I prefer my PC games and only rarely buy games for my PS3.

If only it were that easy! Getting old Windows games to run on modern Windows editions can be an absolute hair pulling nightmare. Combine it with the massive variation in potential hardware making your problem fairly unique to you alone. I've given up in frustration many times.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    I joke about this from time to time, but if you look at the BC list on Wikipedia for the 360 I can almost guarantee you that whatever good game you're thinking of does not run perfectly without some kind of a hitch to it. Panzer Dragoon? Not if you live in Europe. Jet Set Radio Future? It's got slowdown in certain sections and the map is bugged. Silent Hill 2? Hahahaha. MvC2? I don't even know why they bothered saying it was BC, but now that it's on XBLA it's not an issue.

Just to list some games that do run mostly fine, barring some resolution shenanigans: Aquaman, Circus Maximus, Robin Hood, and so many other great games! Basically what I'm saying is that I wish JSRF didn't have the slowdown, because the map sucks anyway and I never bothered with custom sprays. If the slowdown was gone it would be perfect for me.

My heart sinks whenever I think about the fact that games like Timesplitters and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory aren't on the BC list.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Big reason why I bought the Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle and not waiting later for when it had more games I wanted.

Its just nicer having a all in one console ready to go rather then having 3 waiting to be hooked and in storage.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • lpburk2lpburk2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kelor wrote: »

Having pulled out the 64 fairly recently, I can second that the AKI wrestling games are still just as awesome as they were back then with four players.

The AKI games are still the greatest wrestling games ever made. It boggles my mind that no one has been able to match the quality of games from a system two generations past.

lpburk2 on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lpburk2 wrote: »
    The AKI games are still the greatest wrestling games ever made. It boggles my mind that no one has been able to match the quality of games from a system two generations past.

I certainly agree on that. AKI-man is also a force of destruction that pummels everything into submission.

and backwards compat.... my original xbox died 6 months prior to the 360 coming out and surprisingly 3 other friends of mine had their original xbox die in the same exact week. I'm on my 4 360 system now too. However I still have many older consoles...cough cough Nintendo that still work how many ridiculous years later.

my point is now that we are in an era of systems not lasting a lifetime or even the current gens life cycle for that matter it seems only fair they implement backwards compat for all games. I don't want to start a discussion about hardware and understand why the past generation or two of complex consoles are more prone to failure and shorter life spans. I just think it would be nice considering that they give us an option to continue playing games a bit longer.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

If only it were that easy! Getting old Windows games to run on modern Windows editions can be an absolute hair pulling nightmare. Combine it with the massive variation in potential hardware making your problem fairly unique to you alone. I've given up in frustration many times.

Well most XP games work well enough in Vista/7. If you need to run a game that needs Win98, just install Win98 on some garbage drive that you have laying around.

If Win98 won't run on your new hardware (which is most likely), you could probably run Win98 in a Virtual PC.

So while it may be hard to get some old games working, its 100% possible to do. Whereas on your PS3s and Xboxes you're SOL.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah...my old DOS games don't run exactly as I remember them. Maybe it was my shitty PC back then but Sim City, PoP2 and Zeliard are way too fast for my tastes on my current gig.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't even want full PS2 BC back in my PS3. I just want a few games either gussied up like God of War was, or downloadable PS2 games.

Basically I want to play MGS1-4 on the same console.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I feel like Backwards Compatibility is really only a bullet point feature in the early part of a systems life cycle when the old systems are still kicking out potentially good games. For as many people who replay games all the time and hold on to game they love to play over and over there are 2-3 people who only play the newest games and get rid of them for what ever the new hotness is and really don't care about the old systems games.

I find I replay a VERY low number of games and often will set games aside when I get something new and never end up going back often as well, if it keeps systems cheaper I am ok with ditching BC.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to replay games back in college. Nowadays I just don't have the time. Heck, I'm abusing Amazon's Super cheap shipping to buy time to play new games this month.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

My heart sinks whenever I think about the fact that games like Timesplitters and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory aren't on the BC list.

huh??

chaos.gif

I agree with you on Timesplitters though . . :(

The Burnin8or on
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lpburk2 wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »

The AKI games are still the greatest wrestling games ever made.

Man, that's just not true in the slightest. However importing did used to be pretty expensive so I can understand people not having played the true greatest wrestling games ever made.

I really would like the 360 to have better backwards compat, however I still have my original xbox so it's not the end of the world. The PS3 I have not being backwards compatible is a real disappointment for me though since my PS2 doesn't work anymore which leaves me with a lot of pretty great games just sitting there getting no use.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know a ton of people don't care about BC. I am not one of those people, which is why I'm not even considering buying a PS3 right now. I may be be in the market for a PS2, though. I've been without one for years, and I'd really like to play the Persona games.

JihadJesus on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

huh??

*snip*

I agree with you on Timesplitters though . . :(

I'm looking at the Australian list, and it's only Double Agent there.

Oh, and Beyond Good and Evil.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not that hung up on backwards compatibility, but in the case of some games (like exclusives) I really have no other choice other than buying the old console. Which is kind of silly. Can't the port it to PC or something? I'd take that! Or put it on XBL like they did with oh so many games.
    I mean ideally I'd like it to be BC, since it would cost me a fraction of the price to play it, as compared to buying a game off XBL, but really at this point, I'll take anything.

minirhyder on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fortunately, I just kept my oXbox. BC isn't an issue to me. I'll always keep it as long as Panzer Dragoon Orta isn't BC, and I'm sure it never will be.

(Also Xyanide, both Fatal Frames, SvC Chaos, Phantom Dust, etc.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

At least, for the most part, if you are willing to put in the hard yards, most are possible to get working.

No amount of fiddling will get console games backwards compatible.

Also, It really depends on what you define as backwards compatible.

the last ten years or so of PC games will, pretty universally, run on any modern PC. 2000-2010. A few games before that, too, such as Starcraft will do fine.

Before that, it can be tricky. If you go really old, however, you've got DOSBox which can run almost anything (One Must Fall 2097 YES)

I mean, even if you only accept 2000-2010 as working backwards-compatibility for PC gaming, thats still a HUGE amount of gaming possible. The original Xbox wasn't even announced in 2000, was it?

Dhalphir on
    edited May 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Fortunately, I just kept my oXbox. BC isn't an issue to me. I'll always keep it as long as Panzer Dragoon Orta isn't BC, and I'm sure it never will be.

Panzer Dragoon Orta, both Fatal Frames and Phantom Dust are all BC.

The Burnin8or on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Panzer Dragoon freezes on PAL systems and the original Panzer Dragoon can't be played at all, FF1 works but FF2 doesn't have the bumpers count as the black and white buttons so you can't zoom the camera in or out which makes combat a pain, and Phantom Dust apparently does work but can lag up sometimes.

Basically if you're thinking of buying a game for the original Xbox and it says it's BC on xbox.com, you should immediately head to Wikipedia and see how compatible it really is. The website also says Silent Hill 2 is compatible. It's compatible in the sense that the sound is bugged, the flashlight goes crazy, and there's a 90% chance that if you make a second save file the game will refuse to boot and you have to do this huge pain in the ass process to fix it.

Gilder on
    edited May 2010

Panzer Dragoon freezes on PAL systems and the original Panzer Dragoon can't be played at all, FF1 works but FF2 doesn't have the bumpers count as the black and white buttons so you can't zoom the camera in or out which makes combat a pain, and Phantom Dust apparently does work but can lag up sometimes.

Basically if you're thinking of buying a game for the original Xbox and it says it's BC on xbox.com, you should immediately head to Wikipedia and see how compatible it really is. The website also says Silent Hill 2 is compatible. It's compatible in the sense that the sound is bugged, the flashlight goes crazy, and there's a 90% chance that if you make a second save file the game will refuse to boot and you have to do this huge pain in the ass process to fix it.

I do not remember ever having a problem with Orta or Phantom Dust, but maybe I'm not remembering well. The consistency of BC titles actually working is a joke though. Their definition of 'compatible' and my definition are clearly not the same . . .

The Burnin8or on
  • wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been enjoying my xbox's BC lately, playing through the splinter cell games, on my way outta Pandora Tomorrow. I've had these in my backlog for 6yrs, I regret not playing the multiplayer though.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Red Dead Revolver's BC, too. In the sense that one of the early boss fights is bugged so that if they use their melee attack at all, it will hard freeze the game. If you manage to get past this boss without them using said attack, a later level just plain refuses to load up, so no matter what, only half the game is playable.

I still wanna replay Stranger's Wrath somebody. :(

l337CrappyJack on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I just kept all of my old consoles.

I deeply fear that my PS2 or oXbox will someday die. I would love to have backwards compatibility solely for the peace of mind in case the unspeakable happens.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bought the special edition of Mark Ecko's Getting Up in New Jersey for $20 about 3 years ago, but thanks to it not being backwards compatible on the 360 I still haven't played it.

It's a shame, because back when it first came out I was really excited to get my hands on it but couldn't since I was too young to get it on my own and my brother was a dick and didn't want to buy it for me.

My Name Is Luke on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bought the special edition of Mark Ecko's Getting Up in New Jersey for $20 about 3 years ago, but thanks to it not being backwards compatible on the 360 I still haven't played it.

It's a shame, because back when it first came out I was really excited to get my hands on it but couldn't since I was too young to get it on my own and my brother was a dick and didn't want to buy it for me.

You're not missing much. It had a lot of potential, but it all just felt really clunky which isn't what I want out of a game that should have been urban Prince of Persia with spray paint.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Honestly that's an act of mercy, not of hatred on your 360's part

Just play JGRF if you want to get your graffiti on, and you're not playing a game produced by an entitled egotistical prick who said with a straight face that his game was a landmark for art in video games

Landmark of suck maybe

Rent on