As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBC][Heroes] - Officially Cancelled. This thread is about Summer Glau now.

1363738394042»

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They killed any characters?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The original plan was to get a mostly new cast for S2 wasn't it? Then the fans bitched and they relented and brought back nearly everyone.

Probably would've been better that way. Hell, it would've been hard to be worse than the S2 we got (although if all of the new ones were like maya, than maybe we didn't want a bunch of new characters).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow. Even with Summer Glau and a midget in that extended trailer, the show still looks like crap.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You sure Summer Glau isn't part of the problem?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't make a judgment on her role from the 2 seconds she was in the trailer.

But what I can judge, is that the entire premise is stupid (from what I was able to deduce from the trailer).

A town full of corrupt cops. The only good cop gets framed and becomes a super hero and gets trained by circus performers. And his super power is the ability to put out candles by wooshing his cape around. And apparently spider silk is stronger than Kevlar?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Summer's character as written may be the problem. As someone else said earlier, a blogger????

But Summer herself cannot be faulted ;)

VoodooV on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Didn't look so bad, except for the bizarre "cape grabbing things" part.

They should have just made him a Batman clone, use a bunch of homemade gadgets and kung fu to fight crime.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't know, it looks good. Ill give it a shot.

I'm glad I never saw past season 1 of heroes now though.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I can't make a judgment on her role from the 2 seconds she was in the trailer.

But what I can judge, is that the entire premise is stupid (from what I was able to deduce from the trailer).

A town full of corrupt cops. The only good cop gets framed and becomes a super hero and gets trained by circus performers. And his super power is the ability to put out candles by wooshing his cape around. And apparently spider silk is stronger than Kevlar?

Edit- Stupid mouse

Spider Silk is stronger than Kevlar but it still requires a certain degree of thickness to be used like that. Way more than an easily manipulated cape would have.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote:
    And apparently spider silk is stronger than Kevlar?

Actually yes it is just as strong as Kevlar and actually its tensile strength is better than steel. This means that spider silk is one of the strongest natural materials in the world, the only complication with using it for armour is getting it to the required thickness so that it would be usable (the world doesn't exactly make giant spiders). In order to make a simple 11' by 4' cloth out of spider silk took four years and a whole LOT of golden orb weavers spinning away.

If you could through movie logic or having a giant angry talking spider in your basement, the size of a large dog would be good enough I would think you could fashion the silk into armour. Silk armour would be immensely lightweight (far less than Kevlar and other materials), have a higher tensile strength than iron and be as protective as Kevlar is. Again, the problem here is getting silk of the required thickness and even in making enough of it to begin with. Of course before continuing this guy *could* have a giant spider in his basement - it's a TV show after-all.

Firstly, making spider silk artificially in a lab is a real bastard. While it has amazing properties, it's made by an organism that itself has a pretty complicated way of making the silk actually form into what it is. Silk actually has two different "parts" to it: A rigid part and a part that basically is elastic. The spider makes this through a complex protein gradient, pH and pressure as the silk is squirted out through organs called spinnerets in the animals rear. This bonds the silk molecules together and forms the actual strands (noting this is not sticky, a further chemical is dotted onto spider silk to actually make it sticky by the spider). Replicating this process in the lab has proved extremely difficult, so making large enough synthetic spider silk strands has proven to be unfeasible (at the moment...).

Edit: Either way I doubt the writers would manage to address this at all.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ..Though they have managed to genetically engineer goats to produce spider silk protein in their milk...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/889951.stm

Not sure where the tech is currently.

southwick on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This thread is so much better since it stopped being about Heroes.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's strange that I have this strong impression that Cape will be just as bad, if not worse than Heroes, yet I am looking forward to it and am so glad that Heroes is finally put out of its misery

VoodooV on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would just like to say I would NOT watch a show where the hero kept a giant, talking spider in his basement.

Fuck that show.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like a job for Spiderman

9 to 5, with dental

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.