As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Backwards Compatibility] I Want to Play My Game Dammit!

2»

• Options
    RandomVinceRandomVince Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

My heart sinks whenever I think about the fact that games like Timesplitters and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory aren't on the BC list.

huh??

*snip*

I agree with you on Timesplitters though . . :(

I'm looking at the Australian list, and it's only Double Agent there.

Oh, and Beyond Good and Evil.

I dont care what the australian list says, an australian 360 categorically, guaranteed 100 percent certain runs chaos theory. I even had polar base running on it a few months ago but you cant get it now.

I think you need to check your disc if its not working. Its definitely compatible.

RandomVince on
    ULTIMATUM, n. In diplomacy, a last demand before resorting to concessions.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Bought the special edition of Mark Ecko's Getting Up in New Jersey for $20 about 3 years ago, but thanks to it not being backwards compatible on the 360 I still haven't played it.

Honestly that's an act of mercy, not of hatred on your 360's part

Just play JGRF if you want to get your graffiti on, and you're not playing a game produced by an entitled egotistical prick who said with a straight face that his game was a landmark for art in video games

Landmark of suck maybe

Hey, it was alright. A decent rental, but not much more.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Fortunately, I just kept my oXbox. BC isn't an issue to me. I'll always keep it as long as Panzer Dragoon Orta isn't BC, and I'm sure it never will be.

(Also Xyanide, both Fatal Frames, SvC Chaos, Phantom Dust, etc.)

Panzer Dragoon Orta, both Fatal Frames and Phantom Dust are all BC.

Panzer Dragoon freezes on PAL systems and the original Panzer Dragoon can't be played at all, FF1 works but FF2 doesn't have the bumpers count as the black and white buttons so you can't zoom the camera in or out which makes combat a pain, and Phantom Dust apparently does work but can lag up sometimes.

Basically if you're thinking of buying a game for the original Xbox and it says it's BC on xbox.com, you should immediately head to Wikipedia and see how compatible it really is. The website also says Silent Hill 2 is compatible. It's compatible in the sense that the sound is bugged, the flashlight goes crazy, and there's a 90% chance that if you make a second save file the game will refuse to boot and you have to do this huge pain in the ass process to fix it.

It's the Panzer Dragoon Orta freeze that hurts the most and just shows how poor their testing process was as that freeze after level 3 can be replicated 100% of the time. That they never went back to fix it for PAL gamers is really shameful. My favourite Xbox game, abandoned! :(

Really they never should have bothered with Xbox BC given the sorry state it was eventually left in.

Moioink on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So yeah, they're buggy. Why bother when I can just play them flawlessly on my XB?

(Besides, I still have a good 200 songs of custom OST stuff on there)

I also have Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, another gem. Xbox was great for quirky stuff.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Not to drag this thread into the PC gaming area, but backwards compatibility is one big reason I prefer my PC games and only rarely buy games for my PS3.

If only it were that easy! Getting old Windows games to run on modern Windows editions can be an absolute hair pulling nightmare. Combine it with the massive variation in potential hardware making your problem fairly unique to you alone. I've given up in frustration many times.

At least, for the most part, if you are willing to put in the hard yards, most are possible to get working.

No amount of fiddling will get console games backwards compatible.

Also, It really depends on what you define as backwards compatible.

the last ten years or so of PC games will, pretty universally, run on any modern PC. 2000-2010. A few games before that, too, such as Starcraft will do fine.

Before that, it can be tricky. If you go really old, however, you've got DOSBox which can run almost anything (One Must Fall 2097 YES)

I mean, even if you only accept 2000-2010 as working backwards-compatibility for PC gaming, thats still a HUGE amount of gaming possible. The original Xbox wasn't even announced in 2000, was it?

Yeah, there's really only a relatively small window (after 3D acceleration became common, but before things got more or less standardized) where PC games are a huge issue...before that, you've got VirtualPC/DosBOX, after that it'll likely run on newer OS's.

With some exceptions, of course.

I miss the days of hardware backwards compatibility...which is one thing I liked about the Wii (and the PS2). The software bullshit they did with the Xbox 360 seems spotty at best, honestly I'd rather they just re-design the oXbox and sell them. But of course the volume would be so low that it would drive the price up (plus lots of exclusive hardware issues) that that can't be done anymore. It's not like the 16-bit era where the hardware was either off the shelf or first-party (Sega was making new Genesis models into...what, about 1998 or 1999?...I know we had them on the shelf when I worked at Wal-Mart, which was 1998 at the earliest).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

My heart sinks whenever I think about the fact that games like Timesplitters and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory aren't on the BC list.

huh??

*snip*

I agree with you on Timesplitters though . . :(

I'm looking at the Australian list, and it's only Double Agent there.

Oh, and Beyond Good and Evil.

I dont care what the australian list says, an australian 360 categorically, guaranteed 100 percent certain runs chaos theory. I even had polar base running on it a few months ago but you cant get it now.

I think you need to check your disc if its not working. Its definitely compatible.

Really? I'll have to try it out :D

PaperLuigi44 on