As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] Free Weekend and earbuds for Mac players.

BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
baru.jpg
NEW HAT SPOILERS
4625150469_dbd0b87f1b_b.jpg
1zvgaqq.jpg

4625761832_796cb1b146_b.jpg
n32151.jpg
rkzqk6.jpg
soldier_sargehat_large.png
f5841.jpg
NEWEST CRAFTING INFO
Fabricate Crit-a-Cola= 1 Kritzkrieg + 1 Bonk! Atomic Punch
Fabricate Dalokohs bar = 1 Sandvich + 1 Bonk! Atomic Punch
Fabricate Gunboats = 1 Chargin' Targe + 1 Razorback
Fabricate Homewrecker = 1 Eyelander + 1 Equalizer
Fabricate Pain train = 1 Sandman + 1 Scrap Metal
Fabricate Scotsman's skullcutter = 1 Axtinguisher + 1 Jarate
Fabricate Tribalman's shiv =1 Huntsman + 1 Dead Ringer

The rest can be found at http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Crafting
THE Servers

Hey You & Quaz and Wally's
TF2PRO.COM / TEAM ZISSOU SERVER Donate!
Come test custom PA made maps and mods for the PAMTU (Contact an admin to join).
Server IP: 208.167.242.188:27015
Password: wang

Job's
Hyperbolic Drama Chamber Donate!
Normal server with SourceMod.
Server IP: 216.155.146.69:27015

JonXP's
JonXP's server Donate!
Regular vanilla server. No plugins whatsoever.
Server IP: tf2.finalmeasure.com

PMAvers'
House of Non-Conformity Donate!
Custom map server.
Server IP: 208.167.243.68:27015
Download the Map Pack. 232 MB download.
Contents of the map pack (updated: US Tax day!/ April 15, 2010):
cp_coldfront_rc1
cp_indulge
cp_generator_b4b
cp_mainline_rc5
ctf_cloudburst_b3
ctf_landfall_a9
ctf_mercy_b5
koth_garbage_day
koth_lighthouse_rc5
koth_moonshine_rc
koth_persia_b4
koth_switcheroo_b3
koth_trainwreck_b1
pl_cashworks_rc2
pl_swiftwater_frc3a1
Extract to: Steam\steamapps\<your account>\team fortress 2\tf\maps

UEAKCrash's
+2 Pub of Pubbing Donate!
Public Server
Server IP: 68.232.172.181:27015
No password required.

b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png
b_160x400_T1_F-2.png

SICK OF 32 INSTASPAWN PUBS?
Try the Blacklist Updater
Follow the info in the link and it'll provide you with all the info you need to create a customized blacklist.
So, you want to play competitive TF2?
This guide will set up you up with the basics on how to get in on some quick 6v6 competitive play without having to commit to a clan, schedule, practice, etc. This is purely for 6v6 and not Highlander (9v9 with a class limit of 1 for each class) because I do not believe highlander has their own pug gather system yet.

PUG stands for Pick Up Group, which is what it sounds like; A group of players interested in playing a tight 6v6 game. The 'gather' system is a system built into the #tf2.pug IRC channel that automatically assembles players who've opted in into teams and provides a server with league rules to play on.

This is done through 2 programs:

-Mumble, for voice chat
-IRC, for the gather system.

Personally, I love getting in a few 6v6 matches here and there, especially when the PA servers are empty. It's active at all times of the day, and you'll be set against players of a wide range of skill, ranging from merely interested folk like maybe yourself, to ESEA and CEVO level players.

As well, I think the gather system is a great way for people who knock 6v6 or have the wrong impressions about it to try it out for themselves and see what people like myself mean when we described it as just another level of play.

IRC
Open up your preferred IRC client it, be it something like mibbit.com or mIRC.

You need to connect to the irc.gamesurge.net server, and go into channel #tf2.pug

There is also a #tf2.pug.na channel, but its regulars are a bit more advanced, most coming from the top place teams, so #tf2.pug is much more entry level, which is what you'll want if you're looking to get into 6v6. Being immediately put up against slardel when you're a scout isn't going to do much good for your skills or your love of the game.

Mumble
Mumble is a third party voice chat software similar to Ventrilo and is used for communicating with your teammates during the match. Every team, clan, what have you uses a third party voice chat program instead of the in-game voice because it allows you to communicate when you are dead in-game.

Mumble is preferred over Ventrilo because of its ease of use and it provides several nifty features like an in-game overlay and pop-up messages telling you who's coming and going.

Download Mumble Here

Once installed it just needs some basic set up, and will ask you to create a certificate. Just enter in a name and an email, and then save it on your Desktop or any other place you keep misc. files.

Once you have Mumble set up, you will want to hit 'Add New' and enter in the relevant information. The tf2pug mumble server is:

Voice server IP : mumble.tf2pug.org:64738
Password : tf2pug

You'll want to keep the user-name you use in mumble and the server the same as the one you use in-game and in the tf2pug IRC channel so you can be easily identified. You will also want to stay in the 'Root' channel until you are assigned a game. Each of the respective channels (Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta) are server locations and each have a Red and Blue channel which you'll use during the matches

It may ask you if you want to run Mumble in compatibility mode when entering the server, just say yes to that.

First thing you'll want to do is make sure your Mumble is set to 'Push to Talk' instead of 'Voice Activity'. If you have it set to 'Voice Activity', your mic will turn on whenever you say anything without having to press a button, which can be annoying for your teammates.

Just go to Configure > Settings
settiings.jpg

and under Audio Input changed the Transmit drop down box to Push to Talk. Hit Apply.
settings2.jpg

Then go to Shortcuts along the left side, and hit add. It will add a new field into the white box. Double click on the 'Unassigned' and change it to Push to Talk, then double click the blank field under shortcut and select what button you want to use with the voice activation.
settings3.jpg

And that's it!

Getting into a match
So now that that is all set up, you're ready to look for a game.

Once you enter the #tf2.pug channel, the first thing you typically do is type !players
playersn.jpg

This will show you everyone who is queued up to play and what as. Because this is basic 6v6, the class layout that is supported in the pug channel is:
2 Scouts
2 Soldiers
1 Demo
1 Medic

Once there are enough of the above for two teams, the game will start. To add yourself to the queue, just type !add [yourclass]
addm.jpg

I am now added to the match queue.

Now you simply wait. The queue will fill up with 12 players, and the following message will appear
38862784.jpg

It will then sort you into teams
teamso.jpg

You may sometimes get a message similar to this:
readyl.jpg

All you have to do is type !ready into the #tf2.pug channel and it will leave you in the match

Your final message will be:
22648206.jpg

This provides the ip and password of the server you will be playing on, but as well as the mumble room you will be using. In this instance, I will be using the Atlanta 1 room, under Red team. Connect to the ip, get on your assigned team, and wait for everyone else to get ready

The Game
So as we know, the standard class make up is as follows:
2 Scouts
2 Soldiers
1 Demo
1 Medic

Demo and medic are limited to 1 per team, and everything else is limited to 2, but you won't see much deviation from this. The most common change is one scout switching to sniper on maps like badlands, gravelpit, or well. Heavies and engies are rare but still appear when some last ditch defense is needed
on gravelpit or badlands, typically when you're down to your last point. Pyros and spies are sometimes used to try and kill the opposing team's medic quickly in a clutch play situation.

The maps you will be playing on mostly are:
cp_badlands
cp_granary
cp_follower
cp_well
cp_gravelpit
sometimes cp_yukon

These are the maps that have just been found to be the most balanced and enjoyable, offering some great back and forth play over the center and second to last points. cp_follower is a custom map that combines the spawn areas of granary with a middle area similar to badlands. It is very fun and worth having in your maps folder.

In terms of gameplay, no matter what class you are, conservation is the key. The only outright battles you'll be fighting are in the opening minutes on the middle point and in pushes (either uber, counter, or when opposing team's medic is down). With everything else, you should be holding back, building uber, sticking with teammates and trying to pick off a few members of the enemy team. Never try to engage alone unless you're a decent scout. Attempting to jump into a group of opposing players alone will only get you killed again and again.

Hit and run strategies are never frowned upon, and knowing when to fight and when to fall back is a key skill you'll need to learn quickly.

As well, the opening moments of the game, where each team are heading to the middle, are critical. You'll soon pick up on the paths each class takes for each map, but generally scouts and demos should arrive first, with soldiers and medic not far behind, with medic sitting at about 50-60% uber. As a soldier/demo, you really should only be walking the last few bits of the map towards the center, the rest should consist of rocket/sticky jumping. The medic will heal you as you go down.

The following are some general strategies and expectations from the standard classes:

Scout
-Typically, unless stated otherwise, the two scouts are supposed to act as 'roamers': They move away from the rest of the team and work in tandem to try and take out the enemy medic or pick off fleeing soldiers/demos.
-They also play a crucial role in the opening of the game, as they will, along with the demo, be the first people to get to the middle point, where they will engage the opposing scouts/demo for about ten to twenty seconds. Any kills or damage that can be done during this time is integral for your team's position post-mid-fight.
-Do not try to engage a combo (soldier + medic) alone
-Engage demo + medic combos, try to get into close and try to take out the medic or jump around him and peck off the medic if you can
-When all else fails, just kill the medic. You are expected to die much more than anyone else, but if you get this one job done, it is worth it in spades.

Soldier
-You and the other soldier are the blunt force of the team. You deal the damage, jump the jumps, and protect the medic.
-The soldiers are typically designated as pocket and roamer.
-Pocket soldier stays with the medic and protects him from everybody. He is not expected to go rocket jumping onto points or pushing the objective (unless the medic has an uber)
-The Roamer is exactly that, he has some leeway to rocket jump onto points and push without a medic, but typically, unless he wants to get screwed over, he will stay close to the pocket combo or the team demo
-Pockets should always use the normal rocket launcher and shotgun as it is the best to counter to scouts
-Roamers can use the DH if they're good but it's not expected.
-You should know how to rocket jump everywhere. This takes practice.
-Airshots are balla and will look nice in your frag videos

Demo
-You got to know the sticky jumps. For pretty much all the maps listed above, you must be able to sticky jump decently enough to get to the middle point at the same time the scouts would, or just behind them. This is particularly critical on badlands and granary, where a good few stickies set up at where the enemy team are coming out could decide who gets mid.
-You're a bigger damage dealer than the soldiers, and can fire more indirect. But you're all alone, so you dieing is kind of a big deal. Hang back and spam pipes into the middle point, and sticky up essential choke-points.
-This pretty much applies for both attack and defense.
-Stickying up choke-points is particularly essential when you're getting pushed back. A sticky trap on the gates on cp_well can practically turn the game to your favor.
-Personally not a big demo, so can't say much either way, but you have to be fairly competent in sticky usage and knowing when and where to fight, but also how to use your regular pipes to smack down scouts and soldiers

Medic
-You're the key to a lot of what goes on. Your uber and kritz are essential, and your death means your team is unsupported and will probably get pushed in on.
-That said, hang back. Stick with your pocket soldier at all times, don't try to advance ahead of him
-Scream ungodly sounds into the mic when being attacked
-Don't pull out your needlegun or saw unless you are completely and utterly alone and there is nowhere to run to. You will have people defending you, your job is to keep them up and to build the uber/kritz
-Jump a lot
-You can pop your uber if you're in trouble, no one will blame you, just stay alive.

That just about covers the basics of it.

GotFrag has a great page that goes a little more in depth not just into general strategy, but particular strategies for specific maps and such

Click here for GotFrag's Tips & Tricks section

Of particular interest should be Jaeger's general tips and tricks videos. There's only 5 so far, but they look at some specifics that are definitely worth knowing if you're looking to pursue this type of game-play a bit further

Tips & Tricks Volume 1 - Scout Energy Drink
- A few points about the Bonk, although the recent Valve fix made the first-person tip impossible :(
Tips & Tricks Volume 2 - Soldier Jumps on cp_gravelpit, point C
- Examples of how to quickly get up the C tower on cp_gravelpit out the left and ride side of spawn.
Tips & Tricks Volume 3 - Spamming Through Doors on cp_freight
- This is technically a glitch, and is not allowed by ESEA.
Tips & Tricks Volume 4 - Pre-firing Rockets
- Some safety tips for soldiers about spamming around corners.
Tips & Tricks Volume 5 - Medic Healing
- A little love for our healers as guest star creepin outlines the basic healing order, and why.

Now it's time for....

!!!PRO VIDEOS!!!

Post with any questions for clarifications.

BlindPsychic on

• Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is it out now?

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I need to seen some screenshots. Dump, people!

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can quote me on this, but I think it will probably drop either June 1 or 3, with the announcements starting next week at some point.

edit: Also I'll dump some fan art and stuff once photobucket lets me into my account.

BlindPsychic on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This game needs an update. I want to be addicted again.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    despite lack of engi update i am quite glad lately we have been filling the servers

i guess in anticipation

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The engineer doesn't deserve an update. Crit wrenching bastards.

Jakorian on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really don't understand why TF2 crashes so frequently. No other Source games do.

Peewi on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I really don't understand why TF2 crashes so frequently. No other Source games do.

Other Source games lack the sheer amount of hat-magic that overloads the pathetic computers of lesser men. They cannot handle the hats.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Italax wrote: »

Other Source games lack the sheer amount of hat-magic that overloads the pathetic computers of lesser men. They cannot handle the hats.

Or your computer is jealous of all the hats, and is crashing in protest of it's lack of hat.

Solution: Buy your computer a hat.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I can almost confirm that we will be getting a valve modified, community plr map (project name - nightfall) and a community, "possibly," valve modified pl map (project name -grand shores, by the guy who made fastlanes) soon, if not both with the engineer update.

Hey You on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Italax wrote: »

Or your computer is jealous of all the hats, and is crashing in protest of it's lack of hat.

Solution: Buy your computer a hat.

If I could find a brainslug to stick to the lid of my laptop, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And now, a hey youish small image dump.
    heyyou.jpg
    heyyou2.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey You wrote: »
    So I can almost confirm that we will be getting a valve modified, community plr map (project name - nightfall) and a community, "possibly," valve modified pl map (project name -grand shores, by the guy who made fastlanes) soon, if not both with the engineer update.

I kind of hope neither of these maps suck, but I have little hope for Grand Shores, as I hate Fastlane

Huntera on
    edited May 2010
    cp_steel0000-2.jpg
    cp_granary0000-1.jpg
    ctf_landfall_b10000.jpg
    koth_harvest_final0000.jpg
    YES.jpg
    smoketrees.jpg
    pyromikaku.png
    NAUGHTY.jpg

BlindPsychic on
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't gotten a drop in three days, is there a limit to items per week?

Jakorian on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder how many people have engineer tokens from when it was possible to make them.

EDIT: Spoiler those screens, please.

Nerdgasmic on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    • Natascha needs to be fixed/nerfed to hell and back
    • Targe needs a small buff
    • Razorback needs big buff/new abilities (Yes this is ever so high on valve's list of priorities)
    • Shiv needs a small nerf
    • Targelander demo talking about bottles needs to be fixed
    • Regular Heavy Fists, shovel, and bone saw should get buffs so people actually use them. Maybe make the heavy fists do a bit more damage and give the bonesaw a bonus to medigun heal rate with no impact on uber charge rate? I have no ideas for the shovel
    • I really want the bonk cooldown to be shortened but its fine as is
    Also, OP needs cleaning

And yes Jakorian.

gunwarrior on
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jakorian wrote: »
    I haven't gotten a drop in three days, is there a limit to items per week?

Yeah, it's like 4 +/- 2 items or something like that. I always hit the cap on Thursdays or Friday morning. Not fun, Valve.

D:

CheesecakeRecipe on
    edited May 2010
    Fist buff: Give the taunt infinite range and make it aim-able

BlindPsychic on
    edited May 2010
    Verflutche wrote: »

I kind of hope neither of these maps suck, but I have little hope for Grand Shores, as I hate Fastlane

I'm pretty excited about Grand Shores. All the screens looked really, really nice, very sawmill like in theme. The pictures have recently been removed, otherwise I would post them.

Hey You on
    edited May 2010
    Fastlane guy hasn't failed us yet
    edit:
    grandshores1.jpg
    grandshores2.jpg
    grandshores3.jpg

Also I was thinking of the Freight guy.

BlindPsychic on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hey you

not to suck your dick

but moonshine is so good why haven't they picked it up i know it uses the swamp resources but ughhh it's literally the best nonvalve koth (and hell, might be the best period i dunno, it's just really fun and seems pretty balanced for all of the classes)

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    cp_granary0000-1.jpg

Holy shit, I think that's the first time I've been in a posted screenshot

Huntera on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

How do you know? Did valve finally contact you about moonshine?

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
    edited May 2010
    http://3decade.com/

His portfolio with pictures of grand shores.

Hey You on
    edited May 2010
    Posted them already hey you

BlindPsychic on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    okay so I am really liking the new kukri

I want the axe and am still waiting to find the crit-a-cola

also holy shit does the standard TF2 OP need a trim something fierce

TheySlashThem on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do we really have a slot reservation on jobs now? Like, it's going to be stuck at 23/24 players 80% of the time? Because that's pretty dumb.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited May 2010
    hey you

not to suck your dick

but moonshine is so good why haven't they picked it up i know it uses the swamp resources but ughhh it's literally the best nonvalve koth (and hell, might be the best period i dunno, it's just really fun and seems pretty balanced for all of the classes)

Not sure. I'm pretty sure it's the lack of koth popularity, cost of the swamp materials (they would have to purchase 28 new items, most maps they have purchased average about 5 or 6 (except egypt.) I plan on making a 5cp soon of it and a ctf possibly too, just to see if it would be more popular.
    davincie wrote: »

How do you know? Did valve finally contact you about moonshine?

No, I've heard nothing about moonshine.

This is really based off an educated guess. There has been a lot of stir in tf2maps.net over the last few months on their forums about Valve starting to purchase and modify community maps, like freight recently. Nightfall is a no brainer, I believe this map won the plr competition which had a valve employee as a guest judge. After the competition the update tread and info went dry with no updates, except the map maker saying this, You'll see something soon. How soon? I do not know but I can tell you that the wait is killing me.

For grand shores, pictures were updated on the steam forums, map page about 9 months ago. I wrote the author a couple of times, asking if he needed help with testing, making props/overlays/textures, or any other service. Since then his picture links no longer work (or were taken down) and no updates have been made. Since he's already had one map picked up, he's an moderator on the steam forums, and the map was never released to the community, it would only make since for valve to pick it up and possibly modify it much like nightfall. Just an educated guess though.

Hey You on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

Do you have a spare kritz and a spare bonk, sir?

Nerdgasmic on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Do you have a spare kritz and a spare bonk, sir?

nope, and also I don't want it badly enough to use precious hat making materials

TheySlashThem on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    Engineer's cap get. wootles

fuck

you

i

got

the

bald

engi

the

other

day

FUCK
    bald engi is best engi, sorry you're terrible

edit; actually, texas ten gallon, but bald engy is second best

SithDrummer on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I want the god damn Choo Choo Engie hat. :( Wasted multiple hats trying to get that one. :/

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I am crashing. Every. single. fucking. map. change.

It's really annoying.

Ginger Mijango on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The two times TF2 has crashed so far in this evening were both when loading a website in the overlay browser. Maybe I should stop using it when playing TF2.

Probably won't help with the cases where I crash on map change, though.

Peewi on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    Engineer's cap get. wootles

fuck

you

i

got

the

bald

engi

the

other

day

FUCK
    bald engi is best engi, sorry you're terrible

edit; actually, texas ten gallon, but bald engy is second best

i would kill you AND savoo for the texas ten gallon

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't stand using the overlay browser.

Roland_tHTG on
    edited May 2010
    I'm trimming down the OP a bit. Sorry Delish

BlindPsychic on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Every time I uber Peewi I pray for his wrench to crit

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I am crashing. Every. single. fucking. map. change.

It's really annoying.

I'm sorry ginger. I'll be more gentle from now on.
    :winky:

UEAKCrash on
This discussion has been closed.