As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Walking Dead

Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
One of the best Zombie books being published right now I'd say. But that's obviously my own opinion. Kirkman has a writing style that seems to evoke some pretty strong emotions out of me. The story line moves pretty damn fast, without leaving you scratching your head for answers. He's honestly done a hell of a job with it.

I'm also equally excited that Marvel is choosing to elaborate on the Marvel Zombies series.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tucanwarrior13 on

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Walking Dead is the shit, and shows that Kirkman has range outside of humorous stories. The intent to leave "curing" the plague or finding it's origin out of the book leaves a lot of room to just focus on the characters.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ya, I definitely love that paranoid, anxious feeling the book gives you. Well Invincible gets pretty serious in it's own respects. But Battle Pope, while still the shit, is funny as all get out.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I use to think that Kirkman was a racist because he consistantly humiliated his black characters (Invicible and TWD etc) while only bringing his white characters to points of defeat. But I don't think that too much any more. I changed my mind. I think he is just a good writer who makes writes very good dramatic turns of events.

I was glad that the fetus has a normal heartbeat. It was cool that the main character, who we know will survive, lost his hand. It's sort of an homage to Army of Darkness' Ash.

I really enjoy TWD and it was the first TPB that I actually purchased to read over and over instead of just reading it at the bookstore like I usually do. The black and white art and the reallistic characters gives you a reason to really dwell and think about it. Sort of like 28 Days Later in that realistic sense.

graizur on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm also equally excited that Marvel is choosing to elaborate on the Marvel Zombies series.
    Marvel Zombies was shit, but adding in Ash gave it that perfect campy Army of Darkness element which makes it actually enjoyable.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    B:L you wil find a lot of people here you disagree with you. Have fun.

graizur on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have an irrational fear of zombies. Like I know their not really but I can barely watch a movie let alone read anything with them in it. Just freaks me out.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    I hope I'll find a lot of people with better grammar, because I have no idea what you just said.

Anyone read Zombies vs. Robots? It has some pretty stylish art, but the writing is simple and the plot is even worse.

I'm not gonna catch the sequel: "Amazons vs. Zombies vs. Robots".

• Options
    edited April 2007
    I am sorry I wrote the word "you" instead of the words "who will". Thanks for being so gratious about it.

graizur on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    B:L wrote: »
    I hope I'll find a lot of people with better grammar, because I have no idea what you just said.

Anyone read Zombies vs. Robots? It has some pretty stylish art, but the writing is simple and the plot is even worse.

Good to know, 'cause I was considering picking this up and kept putting it off. Robots have an unfair advantage anyway - they're immune to the zombie plague and have no brain meats for zombies to feed off of. One-sided, henh?!

Also, youwith I you disagree with you with you. You. Marvel Zombies rocked, both the original Ultimate FF story, and in it's various follow-up stories. Thus far, MZ vs. AoD has been relatively enjoyable, but I don't think anything has topped the 5 issue mini-series. Looking forwards to the MZ story coming up in the new FF book (Zombie Hulk Galactus? Can you say... Zombulktus?)

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Any idea when the next TPB will be out?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »

Good to know, 'cause I was considering picking this up and kept putting it off. Robots have an unfair advantage anyway - they're immune to the zombie plague and have no brain meats for zombies to feed off of. One-sided, henh?!
    Well the thing with that story is...
    The robots are breaking apart because there're no more humans to maintain them. They have their hopes set on the last human baby girl they have in their possession. But uhh...realspoilers:
    They DO get infected by the zombie plague, because outdated robots analyze the infected blood and it becomes a computer virus. Other than that it's one-sided, yeah.

I just didn't care for the characterizations in the Marvel Zombie miniseries. I can forgive the whole different take on Zombie-ism thing they have going on, and the art is good...it's just that the characters felt WRONG when I read it. I guess it IS an alternate reality, but still, it constantly nagged at me and I couldn't get into it.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I totally get what you're saying and I know what you're talking about re: Character wrongness. Just doesn't happen to bother me. Different strokes, etc.

And that Robots vs. Zombies story doesn't actually sound half-bad. Shame it didn't seem to take off.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I was glad that the fetus has a normal heartbeat. It was cool that the main character, who we know will survive, lost his hand. It's sort of an homage to Army of Darkness' Ash.

man, i don't think it's guaranteed that rick is going to survive at all

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Actually, I kind of get the feeling they're all pretty much fucked.
    Especially if the Governor is still alive.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    I thought Kirkman said that he wanted to tell the story as one man surviving this kind of thing? I have a feeling that if Rick dies, it means the series is over.

Unless he hands the status on to his kid or something.
    I don't know if the kid is still alive, I haven't read past volume one

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a friend who's really into this. He has informed me that as of issue 30, there has not been one chainsaw killing. What fucking gives?

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Walking Dead is in black and white? That's a pity... I know it's probably a bit shallow but I'm really not a fan of black and white comics, but I'd been thinking about checking this out. I'll have to see if I can find some scans and see how it looks.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a friend who's really into this. He has informed me that as of issue 30, there has not been one chainsaw killing. What fucking gives?

Its not really a goofy zombie book... Its more serious, focusing on the emotions and interactions of the living characters as they struggle to survive in a dead world.
    Virral wrote: »
    The Walking Dead is in black and white? That's a pity... I know it's probably a bit shallow but I'm really not a fan of black and white comics, but I'd been thinking about checking this out. I'll have to see if I can find some scans and see how it looks.

Thats a pity. While I enjoyed the art from the first trade alot more than its current artist (they had to switch off due to taking too long for each issue,) the black and white art fits the series very well. Perhaps its just me, (I do my own art with ink) but I can't imagine it being done in color.

edit: If you guys want a more humorous, gory, and colorful book check out Marvel MAX's Zombie or Marvel Zombies/Army of Darkness, but Walking Dead is the best Zombie book I have ever read.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    edited April 2007

There are multiple katana killings. Like a whole shitload.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    I thought Kirkman said that he wanted to tell the story as one man surviving this kind of thing? I have a feeling that if Rick dies, it means the series is over.

Kirkman has in fact said the opposite. He has a general idea of where the story is going and continually emphasizes that NOBODY is safe in his story.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »

Kirkman has in fact said the opposite. He has a general idea of where the story is going and continually emphasizes that NOBODY is safe in his story.

I bet his Rick's wife is going to get the axe pretty soon. Probably after she gives birth.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've been thinking the same exact thing. They've been building up her death for a really long time.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've been thinking the same exact thing. They've been building up her death for a really long time.

You think so? I don't know. There's a few things that they should really deal with before. Like the fact that Blondie pretty much wants to be under-study wife.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I don't know. It's just the fact that they've kept her so safe, and nothing substantial has really happened to her physically that leads me to believe something catastrophic is going to occur. If not her the baby? That would really take the comic into a terribly-realistic form.

Ya, that girl is definitely creepy. Something tells me it's going to be a "If I can't have you...no one can'' scenario between the two of them.

but that's pure conjecture.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SA wrote:

Its not really a goofy zombie book... Its more serious, focusing on the emotions and interactions of the living characters as they struggle to survive in a dead world.
    Zombies? Emotions? What?

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Those guys are so fucked now.
    Rick has lost a hand, and the Katana chick is...doing worse. Asian guy has disapeered, and, with the Governor going to find the prison, everyones going "Man, I wish we could find more people!"

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Suds wrote: »

I actually think I saw a thing that VOL. 6 is out.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Suds wrote: »

I actually think I saw a thing that VOL. 6 is out.

That would be awesome. I only have up to volume 5

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Somethings I am wondering about a

Motorcycle gangs, Street gangs, American families that are like Gypsies, and over all geniuses and how they have got a along since the fall. And also militias.

graizur on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ive read up through #36 and I gatta say, Im liking this. Ive never been a real zombie fan, a little resident evil here and there, Shaun of the Dead, and now this, thats about it. But I might have to find some more stuff. You guys got any suggestions?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There are tons of Zombie comics all over the place. Deadworld, etc I don't even remember all their names. Ask your local comic shop owner.

graizur on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ya, there is a whole plethora of comics devoted to zombie. Some are really serious like "The Walking Dead" and some are downright hilarious like "The Zombie King"

Just what you're into I suppose.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

You think so? I don't know. There's a few things that they should really deal with before. Like the fact that Blondie pretty much wants to be under-study wife.

Track down the covers for 39,40, and 41. It's not looking good for Lori.
    (I'd link them but I'm having horrific internet issues tonight)

lessthanpi on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    walking dead got me back into comics. the first trade was easily the best when tony was still drawing it. i think the comic slowed its pace way too much at the end of last year, and the shiping delays made that even worse. the comic has picked up again which is good, but nothing beats reading like 4 volums of the TPB. waiting month to month blows. i'm tempted to wait like 6 months then just read em all at once.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    lessthanpi wrote: »

Where should I be looking for them imagecomics.com doesn't have them up?

graizur on
  • Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    lessthanpi wrote: »

Where should I be looking for them imagecomics.com doesn't have them up?

Here they are. Sorry that 41 is so big. It's all I could find.
    mar071860d.jpg
    apr071884d.jpg
    walkingdead41.jpg

lessthanpi on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fuck man. I REALLY wish I could unsee those covers.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, we're just now getting a walking dead thread? Shame.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There's been a few. I know I started one months ago and I'm pretty sure some other guy started one after me.

SatanIsMyMotor on