As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kamen Rider Double/OOO: Bro, Have You Seen My Underwear?

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5B9eMjjiw4

It looks goofy as heck but the Kamen Rider concept managed to last in Japanese media since it's birth in 1971. I've ended up watching the three recent series and out of the three, I can probably best recommend the latest one, Kamen Rider W (or Double) for anyone who wants to give this stuff a try. The series is set in Futo, a city set 'somewhere' in Japan much like Angel Grove was set 'somewhere' in the US. The city's is known for two things: a love of wind (to the point the top monument's a tower-sized wind turbine) and a serious addiction problem among the citizens. The latter's not due to liquor or hardcore drugs though but due to these.

kamenrideranomalocarisd.jpg

Called Gaia Memories, they look like fancy but otherwise innocent-looking USB flash-drives. That is until the owner uses the connector port implanted somewhere on their body to jack it in, turning them into a (usually rubber-suited) monster called a Dopant. The rush of power as well as the toxins the Gaia Memory release while in a person's body drives the user eventually insane and can even kill them with prolonged use. The only one who can save both the crackhead inside of the monster as well as the city from serious property damage is Kamen Rider. However, this time it's not just one guy inside of the bug-eyed suit.

doublephilip.jpgdoubleshotaro.jpg

The one with the hat is Shotaro Hidari, self-proclaimed hardboiled (or 'half-boiled' in the opinion of others) private detective of the Narumi Detective Agency and walking billboard of the fictional Windscale fashion brand. The one with the hairclips is Philip, Shotaro's partner who happens to be a living search engine for the Gaia Library (picture the gunrack-room from the first Matrix movie but with a crapload more bookshelves instead). The two usually handle cases that end up involving Dopants. When it's time to fight, the pair break out their own collection of Gaia Memories (used safely via their Double Dealer transformation belt) and turn into this guy below.

kamenriderdoubleforms.jpg

A walking rainbow of beatdown, Double is Shotaro's body (focused on the black/grey/blue side of Double) with Philip's mind added to the mix (focused on the green/red/yellow half). Battles usually have the pair telling Dopants to 'count their crimes' before they work together to knock the Gaia Memory out of the monster, swapping the two they're using at the moment with the rest of the six they own in mid-fight to adapt to any problems.

In Japan, Luna's power of 'illusion' apparently means 'stretchy limbs'

If you want to understand what they're saying, Youtube's got subs from two translation groups: TV-Nihon (they use more flashy subtitles and keep Japanese honorifics in) and Order Of Zeronos (they translate the honorifics into something more understandable but has been noted not to be proofread too well). Episode 36 came out today which means the series is past the two-thirds mark if they end it around episode 48 or so like they usually do with Kamen Rider series.

Owenashi on

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yo, can we talk Power Rangers and Beetleborgs too

apparently, beetleborgs had like four different guys they didn't carry over
    http://www.tokucentral.com/database/b-fighters_kabuto/bfk-hr-mac.htm
    bfk-hr-mac.jpg
    Mac Windy is from the New York branch of the Cosmo Academia, and often speaks in broken English phrases. He is a very outgoing man, flirting with Japanese girls at every chance and eating tons of sushi. He was chosen by the Dragonfly Medal to become Yanma, whose armor is modeled after a dragonfly and owns the medal. As B-Fighter Yamma, he is the Warrior of Wind. His attacks include the Spinning Bomber, a jumping spinning punch and the Dragon Flying, in which he spins at high speeds like a tornado and attacking his opponents as he flies by. Tonbou Gun is his gun and it becomes part of the powerful Input Rifle that Kabuto wields.

Antimatter on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mac Windy or Flabber. I'm not sure which is the worse name to come from either side of that particular property. Mac certainly looks worse.

Owenashi on
    edited May 2010
    man, at least he isn't the lovechild of Elvis and Jay Leno

Antimatter on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Attractive Asian people?!?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited May 2010
    I'd still probably would rather hang out with him then Mac Windy.

Which ones in particular are you talking about?

Owenashi on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man I can't read plot descriptions of stuff like this without getting a headache

Grey Ghost on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »

The one in the hat's pretty cute.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    fuck no

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited May 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Man I can't read plot descriptions of stuff like this without getting a headache

is "Alpha, Rita's escaped, recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!" more your speed? :P

Antimatter on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

is "Alpha, Rita's escaped, recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!" more your speed? :P

yes

as well it should be

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damn straight!

Grey Ghost on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shoe knows the score.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited May 2010
    look, sometimes you need silly, ridiculous, over-elaborate plots

Antimatter on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

comic books are similar

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited May 2010

Oh Shotaro. I suppose he is pretty good-looking. I tend to pay more attention to his hardboiled-poser personality and facial (over?)reactions.

Boooossssss!!

Owenashi on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

and sometimes you can just throw out over-elaborate and save everyone a lot of trouble

I ain't into Super Sentai, I'm into motherfucking Power Rangers

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited May 2010

and sometimes you can just throw out over-elaborate and save everyone a lot of trouble

fair enough
    where do you stand on Lightspeed Rescue? I love it because SUPERTRAIN MEGAZORD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1At1wpFdtKA

Antimatter on
    edited May 2010
    The first season was the best obviously.

I like Wild Force for some reason.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited May 2010

fair enough

honestly I tend to blank out after zeo

I watched a little dino thunder, but you can't beat the classics

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What about VR troopers? :(

Showing the same dogfight clip flipped and mirrored twelve times in a row per episode!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited May 2010

There's nothing really over-elaborate about KR-Double. If you want complicated, look to the series before, Kamen Rider Decade. The whole series was Kamen Rider + Sliders with a pinch of Quantum Leap.
    Fair enough

Hi5, Anti. MUCH love for the Supertrain Megazord.

Owenashi on
    edited May 2010

fair enough

honestly I tend to blank out after zeo

I watched a little dino thunder, but you can't beat the classics
    so true

Antimatter on
    edited May 2010

Oh Shotaro. I suppose he is pretty good-looking. I tend to pay more attention to his hardboiled-poser personality and facial (over?)reactions.

Boooossssss!!

I think it's his DSL.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited May 2010
    edited May 2010
    nah its his dial-up definitely

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited May 2010
    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited May 2010

Ah. Well, if you say so.

Owenashi on
    edited May 2010
    ITT I make everyone uncomfortable.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited May 2010
    nah he's just ugly

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited May 2010
    I think out of the three series I've seen so far, the vampire-based Kamen Rider Kiva probably has the most noticeable prettyboy. Mainly because the show's writers seemed to put him in a bathtub in almost every episode. That and the parts in the show's intro where he's also half-naked.

He's got a nice bike though

Owenashi on
    edited May 2010
    unf

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »

Showing the same dogfight clip flipped and mirrored twelve times in a row per episode!

I liked how the bad guy was a corporate businessman, secretly living a double live as a supervillain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYHcJhrMjS4&feature=related

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited May 2010
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Crashmo wrote: »

I liked how the bad guy was a corporate businessman, secretly living a double live as a supervillain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYHcJhrMjS4&feature=related

KR-Double's villain, Ryubee Sonozaki, is pretty much that. In public he's one of Futo's top benefactors. However, he and his family secretly run the underground organization known as Museum to sell Gaia Memories to some of the city's desperate residents. Usually to see how well and far the addicted user can go with it. Oh, and the extra cash it brings in.

Owenashi on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love this show so much. So glad I got into Kamen Rider before it started.

One correction, it's the Double Driver, not Dealer. And, I usually go with the W-Time/Rgreg subs, they're online the day after the episode originally airs. They also subbed the movie, which is great.

Have you seen the trailer for the new summer movie? Looks pretty awesome.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited May 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I love this show so much. So glad I got into Kamen Rider before it started.

One correction, it's the Double Driver, not Dealer. And, I usually go with the W-Time/Rgreg subs, they're online the day after the episode originally airs. They also subbed the movie, which is great.

Have you seen the trailer for the new summer movie? Looks pretty awesome.

Thanks for the correction and not yet on the trailer. Does the movie come off as needed viewing like Decade's movies?

Owenashi on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Double/Decade movie? Yes, it explains everything having to do with his Boss (and takes place right in the middle of the series).

The new movie? Doesn't seem like it. Seems more like a standalone extra adventure for after the season ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBl_I7sPEoA&playnext_from=TL&videos=BdOTsELTIvU

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am really excited for my SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Skull.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I am really excited for my SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Skull.

You mean this?

kamenriderkrskull.jpg

He looks pretty stylish. Too bad he's a film-only Kamen Rider so far. I heard though he's going to be making an appearance in the final film of a movie trilogy spun off from the time-traveling-based Kamen Rider Den-O series.

Owenashi on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, that's the one.

I've only seen a few episodes of Den-O, but I know me awesome action figures when I sees 'em.

My next Kamen Rider purchase will probably be SH Figuarts Cyclone/Joker. That guy is just fantastic-looking.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2010
    I want to have sex with all the kamen riders.

All of them.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you