As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jack 'Batman' Thompson at it again: VS. Kotaku

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Frivolous lawsuits, ahoy!

You may remember not too long ago Kotaku had some choice words regarding Thompson, after he used the Virginia Tech massacre to push his political hobby horse before the bodies were even cold. http://kotaku.com/gaming/feature/feature-dissecting-jacks-lies-252914.php

You know what that means! That's right, Thompson is not only suing Kotaku, but he sicked the FBI on them. Well, tried to anyways. http://gamepolitics.com/2007/04/25/breaking-thompson-sues-kotakus-parent-company/

Here is the letter he faxed to the FBI in Colorado:
Dear FBI:

This web site at the below url is targeting me:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-tech/breaking-idiot-thompson-blames-va-shooting-on-games-252702.php

I ask that something be done by the FBI to stop this or prosecute it:

Kyle81 says: Actually the VT shootings are now the biggest mass shooting in US history with 31 dead, not just school shooting. Jack should be shot for taking the opportunity to leech off a tragedy to push his own agenda 04/16/07 03:25 PM

Regards, Jack Thompson

Which basically translates to "Dear FBI: I'm a jackass and these guys called me on it."

http://kotaku.com/gaming/original/thompson-calls-for-fbi-investigation-of-kotaku-254631.php

So... thoughts?

Personally, I'm appalled that our legal system allows idiots like Thompson to toss frivolous law suits left and right at any man woman or child who says or does something he doesn't like. Ridiculous!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    lawl

Guek on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This man has absolutely no idea how the world works, does he?

"Mom! Mom! I kicked Billy in the crotch and he went and told on me to Dad!!"

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I will personally kill jack hompson myself.

*patiently awaits impending lawsuit*

Guek on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait, so he's suing Kotaku for a post made by a random user in the comments section of that article? Is that right?

Marty81 on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Wait, so he's suing Kotaku for a post made by a random user in the comments section of that article? Is that right?

Yup.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I feel sorry for his son.

Couscous on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man this guy is fukken comedy

Ledneh on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    All these kids going crazy and killing the parents, and it's never the right ones...

And now I wait for Jack to sue me to. I wonder, if enough people threaten him, could he over-sue and have a heart attack from the stress?

Snake Gandhi on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

He will probably think that is some kind of threat and sue us all.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Yup.

no no no. Two different cases are going on here. First he is suing for slandering his good name. Second, he is asking the FBI (who has nothing better to do) to investigate a possible criminal case because of the 'threat' to take his life. Obviously, the FBI doesn't handle civil suits.

PS Does saying someone should be shot actually count as a threat? Its not as if he said he'd do it himself.

DesertBox on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    Ya see, the safest bet to how to discuss the weird and quirky Jack is to suggest he inflict violence on himself. He can't sue you, as you aren't threatening him, and you still feel better after saying it.

Lines like "Jack, you should do us all a favor.. run into a burning building and wait for it to collapse." Are completely unactionable, because the onus is on HIM to die in a fire, not on us threatening him with the act.

And the thought of Jacko dieing in a fire amuses me.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ya see, the safest bet to how to discuss the weird and quirky Jack is to suggest he inflict violence on himself. He can't sue you, as you aren't threatening him, and you still feel better after saying it.

Lines like "Jack, you should do us all a favor.. run into a burning building and wait for it to collapse." Are completely unactionable, because the onus is on HIM to die in a fire, not on us threatening him with the act.

Video games have clearly demented your fragile gamer mind.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder how much of your American Dollars has he wasted with his numerous lawsuits?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

PS. Please don't kill anybody.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I hope that if the president's daughter is kidnapped they'll send Jack in to rescue her!

I really think Jack and Dr. Salvador could get along great.

Metalfoot on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm still trying to figure out the point in history where Jack's sanity "jumped the shark".

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out the point in history where Jack's sanity "jumped the shark".
    2 Live Crew... 1980s.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I wonder how much of your American Dollars has he wasted with his numerous lawsuits?

Considering most of them never go through? Probably not a whole lot.

Furu on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wish them luck in trying to subpoena Kyle81.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What is this 'Hompson' thing? Is it a reference to something I'm missing? Smacks of 'Zelda? More liek Celda!' to me.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm guessing sometime in childhood. Maybe even a few seconds after birth.

Maybe the doctor slapped the wrong end when he was born?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jack's legal complaint reads like a forum post.

I read through it and expounded on some of my LOL moments here: http://jabbertracks.blogspot.com/2007/04/truth-and-lies-wait-no-just-lies.html

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited April 2007
    2 Live Crew... 1980s.

Was he really responsible for that?! Did not know that. Hilarious!
    NINJA EDIT for quoting the wrong song

DesertBox on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    My anaconda don't want none if you ain't got buns, hun

D:! (That's Sir Mix-a-Lot!)

What do I get for $10?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    What is this 'Hompson' thing? Is it a reference to something I'm missing? Smacks of 'Zelda? More liek Celda!' to me.

Someone accidentally dropped the T in Thompson and someone noticed, pointed it out, and it stuck in the way that all internet memes do: well past the point of being clever or funny

Ledneh on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    2 Live Crew are from Florida, and JT's from here too, regrettably. I wonder if that's a coincedence.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yup.

Kotaku should reply with an open letter that just reads:

Dear Mr. Thompson,

Fuck off.

- Kotaku

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    2 Live Crew are from Florida, and JT's from here too, regrettably. I wonder if that's a coincedence.

I hear there's something in the water down there.

Makes men violent and quick to anger, gives them a mean edge which makes them gnaw and bite at things.

Just a rumor, maybe.

Want to check it out?

Yes/No

Metalfoot on
    edited April 2007
    2 Live Crew... 1980s.

Was he really responsible for that?! Did not know that. Hilarious!
    Enraged by the explicit content of 2 Live Crew, a Coral Gables attorney named Jack Thompson launched an all-out war against the group, culminating in a Broward County, Florida judge deeming the album obscene under state law in March of 1990. Soon after, a record store owner in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and another in Huntsville, Alabama were arrested by local sheriffs departments for violating obscenity laws. Around the same time, 2 Live Crew was arrested for performing songs from As Nasty As They Wanna Be in a Florida nightclub and, when visiting the same town, alternative band Too Much Joy was arrested for performing songs from that album in an act of protest.

I am pretty sure this is his only "protect the children" based victory. Ever.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited April 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    My anaconda don't want none if you ain't got buns, hun

D:! (That's Sir Mix-a-Lot!)

What do I get for $10?

DAMN YOU! I would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!

DesertBox on
    edited April 2007
    So if he reads up on all these random gaming sites, one has to imagine he's been by here at one point or another.

How many lawsuits do you think we've racked up? A few hundred?

He did it in Broward County no less? That means the idiot can't be further than half an hour away from me.

I could probably visit his law office.

Not that I would.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jesus, this poor bastard satirizes himself. I wonder if he even realizes he's turned his name into a punchline over the years?

JihadJesus on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »

Considering most of them never go through? Probably not a whole lot.

Oh well...Hurray!

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura, I grew up in Palm Beach county and there is no santa monica (your location) around there

DesertBox on
    edited April 2007
    The Santa Monica's for a game I'm running. I live in Coral Springs. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So if he reads up on all these random gaming sites, one has to imagine he's been by here at one point or another.

He did it in Broward County no less? That means the idiot can't be further than half an hour away from me.

Not that I would.

Go to his office, set down a yummy chocolate cake with the words "From the Gamers of the World" written on it at his door.

Knock on the door and leave.

The cake is not to tampered with in any way.

Let us see how he reacts.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    first thing's first I think Jack Thompson should have to pay the American taxpayers back every last cent the courts have wasted on his frivolous lawsuits. Suing a web site because they called you out?!? Calling the FBI to investigate someone because they said ON THE INTERNET that "Jack should be shot for taking the opportunity to leech off a tragedy to push his own agenda"?!?!? The guy never said that he wanted to shoot Jack Thompson he said that "Jack Thompson should be shot" I would assume he means by the government. Once again Jack shows us that his reading comprehension is not the greatest in the world.

Secondly Jack has not responded to my call for a public Debate with him. But then again that would require the man to grow some scruples as well as a spine. Both of which I am sure he is currently lacking.

Artoria on
    edited April 2007
    I think I'll go check a phone book.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007
    The Santa Monica's for a game I'm running. I live in Coral Springs. :P

My parents live there now

Please don't go kill them, you demented gamer you

DesertBox on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Not that I would.

Go to his office, set down a yummy chocolate cake with the words "From the Gamers of the World" written on it at his door.

Knock on the door and leave.

The cake is not to tampered with in any way.

Let us see how he reacts.

And video tape his reaction to the cake.

EDIT: Your Ninja edit skills impress me.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.