As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jack 'Batman' Thompson at it again: VS. Kotaku

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So if he reads up on all these random gaming sites, one has to imagine he's been by here at one point or another.

How many lawsuits do you think we've racked up? A few hundred?

He did it in Broward County no less? That means the idiot can't be further than half an hour away from me.

I could probably visit his law office.

Not that I would.

Go to his office, set down a yummy chocolate cake with the words "From the Gamers of the World" written on it at his door.

Knock on the door and leave.

The cake is not to tampered with in any way.

Let us see how he reacts.

And video tape his reaction to the cake.

EDIT: Your Ninja edit skills impress me.
    In fact, the cake should be expensive and delicious.

And yes, someone film him opening the box. Or calling in a bomb squad to inform him that he was given a fucking cake.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So if he reads up on all these random gaming sites, one has to imagine he's been by here at one point or another.

He did it in Broward County no less? That means the idiot can't be further than half an hour away from me.

Not that I would.

Go to his office, set down a yummy chocolate cake with the words "From the Gamers of the World" written on it at his door.

Didn't gamers send him flowers once? I believe he sued them.

Metalfoot on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I don't see a Thompson, but there's only a few hundred attorneys in Broward County. What's he classified as? Video Game Law?

Unless I miss my guess, he's not listed. Smart move.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Metalfoot wrote: »

I would send him some flowers. Maybe some chocolates and a singing telegram also - but only if its a barbershop quartet.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is anyone else tempted to send an email that just reads "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH BWAHAHAHA" to him?

Wallhitter on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Not that I would.

He must be allergic.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For hating video games, he seems to be reading a lot of blogs about them. Yes, Jack, I'm talking about you. One of us, one of us...

Firebrand on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, one has to know thy enemy. Or something. He should guest on a few podcasts.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    For hating video games, he seems to be reading a lot of blogs about them. Yes, Jack, I'm talking about you. One of us, one of us...

That nietchze quote at the beginning of baldur's gate seems appropriate: "Be careful about staring into the abyss, in case the abyss starts staring back @ u, noob."

Metalfoot on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I don't see a Thompson, but there's only a few hundred attorneys in Broward County. What's he classified as? Video Game Law?

Wasn't his license to practice law revoked or something, or was that just in Florida?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    "Virginal Tech"?

Wow, Freud would be having a field day with that slip

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, one has to know thy enemy. Or something. He should guest on a few podcasts.

I have a recording of him somewhere calling Penny Arcade a "terrorist website"

I agree, he should do more of that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    DesertBox wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out the point in history where Jack's sanity "jumped the shark".
    2 Live Crew... 1980s.

Was he really responsible for that?! Did not know that. Hilarious!
    Enraged by the explicit content of 2 Live Crew, a Coral Gables attorney named Jack Thompson launched an all-out war against the group, culminating in a Broward County, Florida judge deeming the album obscene under state law in March of 1990. Soon after, a record store owner in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and another in Huntsville, Alabama were arrested by local sheriffs departments for violating obscenity laws. Around the same time, 2 Live Crew was arrested for performing songs from As Nasty As They Wanna Be in a Florida nightclub and, when visiting the same town, alternative band Too Much Joy was arrested for performing songs from that album in an act of protest.

I am pretty sure this is his only "protect the children" based victory. Ever.

yes because you know that Parents should never have to police the content of materials that are brought into their house holds.

I find it funny that Jack Thompson a man who has made his living by enacting his own freedom of Speech and Freedom of choice is so quick to deny that to others because he disagrees with them.

I am sorry Mr. Thompson but Freedom of speech is a 2 way street. You have every right to say whatever it is you want and make yourself in some cames sound like a complete and utter fool. however other such as Kotaku, the poster on Kotaku, game companies, other websites and even myself have every right to say that you are wrong and to haul you out on the carpet and call you on it.

Artoria on
    edited April 2007
    Aegis wrote: »

Wasn't his license to practice law revoked or something, or was that just in Florida?

I think he took on the Florida bar, and lost horribly, or something.

I guess he's in hiding now. Probably Miami. He'd blend right in.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    He must have been on here, especially after that unpleasantness last year.

Maybe he just spends his Sundays Googling his own name?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited April 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »

I do that too.

Metalfoot on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    What is this 'Hompson' thing? Is it a reference to something I'm missing? Smacks of 'Zelda? More liek Celda!' to me.

Someone accidentally dropped the T in Thompson and someone noticed, pointed it out, and it stuck in the way that all internet memes do: well past the point of being clever or funny

Er, except there was also the thing where, long before this, people around here would use "homp" as a nonsense epithet. It's "homo" with one letter moved forward, you see.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I do that too.

Well who doesn't? Without Google I don't know what I'd do with my Saturday nights.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For those looking in the yellow pages, try under C for "Chaser (Ambulance)"

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For those looking in the yellow pages, try under C for "Chaser (Ambulance)"

or D for "Debate Dodger"

Artoria on
    edited April 2007
    13 J Thompsons in Ft. Lauderdale.

That's a lot of calls to make.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You'll only get through if you say you're from FOX News looking for a comment on a story from "School Shooting Expert" Jack Thompson.

When they put him on the air with that title I almost swallowed my tongue.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited April 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

You'll only get through if you say you're from FOX News looking for a comment on a story from "School Shooting Expert" Jack Thompson.

When they put him on the air with that title I almost swallowed my tongue.

He got his doctorate in School Shooting, you know.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Wait, so he's suing Kotaku for a post made by a random user in the comments section of that article? Is that right?

Yup.

no no no. Two different cases are going on here. First he is suing for slandering his good name. Second, he is asking the FBI (who has nothing better to do) to investigate a possible criminal case because of the 'threat' to take his life. Obviously, the FBI doesn't handle civil suits.

PS Does saying someone should be shot actually count as a threat? Its not as if he said he'd do it himself.

In Canada at least, and I believe your legal system is similar in this respect, for a threat to count as a crime, the individual has to at least appear to have legitimate intent (ie, there is no obvious sarcasm implied, nor is it meant as an off the cuff remark), and most importantly, the ability to follow through. If I'm sitting in MB and e-mail Jacko to tell him I'mma shoot him in half an hour, knowing full well that he's in Florida, I'm pretty safe from prosecution because it would be physically impossible for me to close the distance required to accomplish the feat.

If however I sent a threatening letter to my next door neighbour about how I'm going to kick in their door at 3 AM and slit their throat, I can pretty much expect to find myself in prison.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love how in the legal brief he actually went "......................not!" And "(is plaintiff allowed to say that?)" I write school papers that are more professional than that.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    I love how in the legal brief he actually went "......................not!" And "(is plaintiff allowed to say that?)" I write school papers that are more professional than that.
    Shit, I wrote school papers that were more professional than that when I was in middle school, and I'm sure that's true for just about everyone here.

JihadJesus on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What is this 'Hompson' thing? Is it a reference to something I'm missing? Smacks of 'Zelda? More liek Celda!' to me.

Someone accidentally dropped the T in Thompson and someone noticed, pointed it out, and it stuck in the way that all internet memes do: well past the point of being clever or funny

Er, except there was also the thing where, long before this, people around here would use "homp" as a nonsense epithet. It's "homo" with one letter moved forward, you see.

And I figured the homo/homp thing was also a case of a typo considering how close o and p are on the keyboard.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There should be some kind of recourse against really bad lawyers like this. Maybe Jack's school just screwed up... or the only time he felt he needed to type in a professional manner was so that he could get his law degree and go on a crusade.

It scares me to think you can practice law like this... our country's legal system is screwed up enough for them to have to put up with this.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Wait, so he's suing Kotaku for a post made by a random user in the comments section of that article? Is that right?

Yup.

no no no. Two different cases are going on here. First he is suing for slandering his good name. Second, he is asking the FBI (who has nothing better to do) to investigate a possible criminal case because of the 'threat' to take his life. Obviously, the FBI doesn't handle civil suits.

PS Does saying someone should be shot actually count as a threat? Its not as if he said he'd do it himself.

In Canada at least, and I believe your legal system is similar in this respect, for a threat to count as a crime, the individual has to at least appear to have legitimate intent (ie, there is no obvious sarcasm implied, nor is it meant as an off the cuff remark), and most importantly, the ability to follow through. If I'm sitting in MB and e-mail Jacko to tell him I'mma shoot him in half an hour, knowing full well that he's in Florida, I'm pretty safe from prosecution because it would be physically impossible for me to close the distance required to accomplish the feat.

If however I sent a threatening letter to my next door neighbour about how I'm going to kick in their door at 3 AM and slit their throat, I can pretty much expect to find myself in prison.

However, if you do this more than once, he has a solid case against you for harassment ... which might not land you in prison, but will make your wallet much lighter for certain.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited April 2007
    BTP wrote: »

And I figured the homo/homp thing was also a case of a typo considering how close o and p are on the keyboard.

The idea was that it was a parody of being so enraged and homophobic that instead of calling someone a homo you called them a homp instead, ala pwnd/owned. It was a satirical joke.

Pheezer on
    edited April 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Yup.

However, if you do this more than once, he has a solid case against you for harassment ... which might not land you in prison, but will make your wallet much lighter for certain.

Assuming it's taken seriously, and gets followed through to the court system, and they extradite me.

All of which would be extremely unlikely, unless it was ten letters a day for five months.

Pheezer on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

I do that too.

Maybe he's just trying to bridge the gap with all these weird-ass lawsuits. 8-)

Aegis on
    Characters
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What seems weird to me is that he lacks even the most basic understanding of the legal system, and yet somehow managed to pass the bar exam at some point.

If I'm the bar association of whatever state he passed that test in, I'm thinking it's time to seriously raise my standards.

JihadJesus on
    edited April 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    What seems weird to me is that he lacks even the most basic understanding of the legal system, and yet somehow managed to pass the bar exam at some point.

If I'm the bar association of whatever state he passed that test in, I'm thinking it's time to seriously raise my standards.

I'm guessing he passed before he went batshit insane.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I swear that JT has dementia.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cups42 wrote: »
    I swear that JT has dementia.

It must feel to JT that he is in an episode of the Twilight Zone and he is the only sane man left on Earth.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My only issue is the OP getting down on the legal system because any wacko can file any claim against anyone. It is actually one of the better things about our legal system in my opinion.

Lawyers who file stupid claims all the time should get their rights revoked at some point if they keep doing it. The process for that is in place, but it seems like the Florida bar is willing to put up with a lot of shit.

Anyone know if there is a limit to how many times a year the bar is able to investigate him? I would love to see him disbarred, I live in Florida and would be affected if he just gets a game barred in the state.

The funniest thing about it all is that most gamers are FINE with the thought that super violent games should be age restricted. But instead of that, Jack is trying to outright BAN them. Wrong approach.

Smudge on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Assuming it's taken seriously, and gets followed through to the court system, and they extradite me.

All of which would be extremely unlikely, unless it was ten letters a day for five months.

spoken from experience?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The fact is that even if they put a tighter restriction on M rated games, kids will still find a way to buy them.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    edited April 2007
    Cups42 wrote: »
    The fact is that even if they put a tighter restriction on M rated games, kids will still find a way to buy them.

You mean parents will keep on buying them, because 12 year olds don't have $60 anyhow.

Pheezer on