As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XBLA]Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now Available on Steam!!!

• Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Id be up for that. I started playing this again recently myself, though I need to get some points and download the new dlc.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarkon needs to stop getting a turn 4 Nocturnus. That shit is fucking annoying as hell. He did it four times in a row!

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate those fucking pulse trackers!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    irnirn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Did anyone else lose all their unlocked cards after downloading this new expansion. Kinda pissed right now.

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do the expansions have more of the puzzles? That was really the only appealing aspect of the single player to me.

Yes. I really liked the puzzles.
    Minor Spoiler:
    Some of them need more turns to complete.

Overall, I like this expansion.

The 3 new decks are nifty, except the new red deck could be considered very cheap and easy to play.
    Some of the extra cards unlocks are just stupid. I keep the nicol bolas and landfall decks almost devoid of extra cards just to keep the mechanic behind the deck running smooth.

The extra cards from the older decks are hit and miss, but green finally got some enchantment removal, and white just upped the ante with a great new angel. Most decks get 1/2 usefull cards from this expansion.

I just hope they fix the bugs real soon: loading time are much looooonger, Ai became stupid and I love to be able to tap my own lands when playing the nical bolas deck: it always taps the wrong ones leaving me hung up to dry...

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I just hope they fix the bugs real soon: loading time are much looooonger, Ai became stupid and I'd love to be able to tap my own lands when playing the nical bolas deck: it always taps the wrong ones leaving me hung up to dry...

Yes. This. Glad they sped up some of the animations and stuff, but the loading screen's killing me.

Enjoying the new stuff so far, though frustrating at times (I admit to being a bit of a novice). First several games I was ready to swear up and down that they doubled the number of land cards in my decks :P Enjoyed empty-decking the vampire (both times! Thanks for bringing only 60 cards the second time, dude). <3 Traumatize and Memory Erosion.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do we know what unlocks the avatar clothing awards? If it's 100% completion I'll be most annoyed as the two headed giant offline campaign is a tad dull and clunky on your own, juggling two controllers.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Do we know what unlocks the avatar clothing awards? If it's 100% completion I'll be most annoyed as the two headed giant offline campaign is a tad dull and clunky on your own, juggling two controllers.

Unlocked cards for one deck, three decks, and six decks. I am up to 5 decks with all cards unlocked and I saw two black shirts with the Planechase logo on it. Not sure what the third unlock is but I'm getting it tonight once I finish unlocking everything for the Elf deck.

EDIT: For anyone having trouble with the final campaign, use the Chandra Ablaze deck that you unlock along the way and burn all his vamps.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I eeked out a win with the wings of light deck against him both times, but that is probably my favorite deck for whatever reason. I only have it maxed so far but have a couple others close from unlocking them previously. Now to decide to cheese my way through on single player or take it like a man on XBL for unlocks.

also how to play 8 land cards in one turn?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I had issues with him getting Nocturnus out. The Blue/White deck is too slow and the AI is quite aggressive with his Vampire Nighthawks so your walls are pointless. The White (Wings of Light) is really good but he can cancel out your expensive flyers with destruction and deathtouch. I found it easier to manage him with controlled burns (waiting for those Nighthawks and Nocturnus' to come out) and then got lucky with a couple of Lava Axes.

I still need to complete the co-op campaigns since the last expansion.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah fuck those vampire nighthawks too, are those the 2/3 lifelink, deathtouch, flying ones?

I think my victory was mostly luck I was about to lose when I got off a mass calcify and then just whittled him down with a Serra Angel or something.

but still, VICTORY OVER DARKNESS!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, my Blue/White wins over the Vamp deck certainly involved some luck in that he didn't draw a ton of his kill cards. A few walls and an air elemental were able to keep him from attacking. I persuaded Nocturnus and forget what I traded him for. I spent a good chunk of the game simply sitting still with cancels to keep him from making a big move while traumatize/memory erosion won the game.

Probably not as lucky as my win over Red though, which was almost entirely a Deft Duelist slowly knocking her down, 2 at a time. She had a hand full of spell cards and nothing to target. I sat with cancels at the ready, just chipping away at her.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think the 8 land cards in one turn would have to be done with the Nicol Bolas deck with those twigs and land fetching cards.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Most obnoxious way to win: I've got two Deathbringer Thoctars in play and my green opponent decides to play Howl of the Night Pack. Seven 2/2 creatures emerge and I terminate one. My thoctars each get a counter which I can remove to deal one damage. I use two counters to destroy another 2/2. Repeat. It almost felt like work and it took me so long the game decided I had to continue in my own turn...

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The third avatar unlock is a neat doodad for your dude. Your av gets plays around with 5 cards (with mana symbols) and then drops them on the ground and then a dragon flys out of one of them.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    2 Deathbringer Thoctars + 1 Vein Drinker. Scorched Earth policy on creatures.

I didn't realize how powerful the white deck was. 2 Voice of All means mono-decks are done for (except for itself and the new red deck) and Baneslayer Angel either has pro against or First strikes most big creatures of other decks. It's ridiculous.

P.S. Also Sorin Markov is a deck-stacking silly goose.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That white deck is my default for clearing stuff for the first time. Especially vs. Vamps, as you have a lot more pro black than he has pro white.

Huxley on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    White is awesome, but needs more artefact removal. Thank god the new expansion gave it some more. Thinned out nice and you get a strong hand most of the time.

I'm very curious about your favorite decks and what sideboards you keep in the decks?

Mine is the blue/black artefact deck.

I play with everything except the life giving artefacts and the font of mythos. The howling mines are tricky enough as it is. The lifegainers clog it up too much. I always prefer drawing more defence or aggro compared to a few life.

Most other decks I play are thinned out more for me to be convinced they are effective. Thoughts?

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Blue white deck and just win by milling.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Arikado wrote: »

I like this nasty stalling deck, though i only play it when i'm not in a hurry to win, but I win more just attacking with my/his/her creatures. Succesfully milling someone happened 2 out of 10 games.

You play with all the unlocks? I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I believe I did not like the 3 new unlocks enough to include them.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I like this nasty stalling deck, though i only play it when i'm not in a hurry to win, but I win more just attacking with my/his/her creatures. Succesfully milling someone happened 2 out of 10 games.

You play with all the unlocks? I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I believe I did not like the 3 new unlocks enough to include them.

The instant-counter that only costs an island seemed useful to me. Situational maybe, but the situation came up and I had it handy, so I call it a win :P

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bobble wrote: »

The instant-counter that only costs an island seemed useful to me. Situational maybe, but the situation came up and I had it handy, so I call it a win :P

Forgot about Dispel. Yeah, that's a nice addition. I just checked: I run this deck with all the walls, traumatizes, Dispel and dispellers capsule and counterbores.

The other creatures, lifegainers seemed redundant, and the white destroy all nonland permanets to(o?-english is haaaaard) expensive and situation dependent.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So.. any word on when the Window XP version of this game is going to come out?

I don't want to have to buy an Xbox to get my nostalgia.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Unlocked cards for one deck, three decks, and six decks. I am up to 5 decks with all cards unlocked and I saw two black shirts with the Planechase logo on it. Not sure what the third unlock is but I'm getting it tonight once I finish unlocking everything for the Elf deck.

EDIT: For anyone having trouble with the final campaign, use the Chandra Ablaze deck that you unlock along the way and burn all his vamps.

I only see avatar awards for 100% 3 decks, and 6 decks. Am I missing something?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, my mistake. 100% on 3 decks unlocked male/female shirts then 6 decks unlocks the little card/dragon thing for your avatar.

Arikado on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's pretty doubtful they'd release it for Windows considering that Magic Online exists and all new accounts come with all the cards contained within DotP.

metaghost on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    metaghost wrote: »

It's pretty doubtful they'd release it for Windows considering that Magic Online exists and all new accounts come with all the cards contained within DotP.

You don't even need to set up an account to play with the Duels of the Plainswalkers cards - I have Magic Online installed on my work computer and I just use the trial account whenever I'd like to play. It's limited to those cards, give or take.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Does this include the six new decks, new cards for the old decks and online play?

if it does... i'm missing out!

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Does this include the six new decks, new cards for the old decks and online play?

Ummm, I think it's just the first ~200 cards that were in the initial release.

But yeah, online play. And real rules. With deck-building.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

That's quite awesome! Especially the deckbuilding! Not sure what you mean with real rules though. Am I missing something? And if it misses the six decks and new cards its a tough tradeoff at the moment...

If deckbuilding ever becomes available on the xbox version (with its own rankingsystem perhaps) that would be soooo awesome.

Tough call.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm just afraid of opening the MTG Online can of worms.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

That's quite awesome! Especially the deckbuilding! Not sure what you mean with real rules though. Am I missing something? And if it misses the six decks and new cards its a tough tradeoff at the moment...

If deckbuilding ever becomes available on the xbox version (with its own rankingsystem perhaps) that would be soooo awesome.

Tough call.

DotP heavily streamlines a lot of the timing rules and the such. It's nothing too serious.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm just afraid of opening the MTG Online can of worms.

Let's not. I like what I have and what I pay for. MTG Online has its own thread already. I just hope this game gets a few little upgrades.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    dishbagdishbag Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    irn wrote: »
    Did anyone else lose all their unlocked cards after downloading this new expansion. Kinda pissed right now.

This happened to me as well. My primary profile is fine, but I have a second profile on which I've been completing decks, and this profile's decks and cards got wiped out. I was able to actually play some games in the expansion on this profile before my data was wiped out, so it's not obvious what event triggered the loss of all my data. Even though I lost all decks and cards, I was still able to play against any deck. So it remembered my progress through the campaign, just not my decks or cards.

I was sad for a second, but then I realized I don't mind rebuilding all the decks again, and that I actually look forward to it.

dishbag on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the avatar accessory really is pretty cool.

and that original red deck is crappier than I remember it being.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

You don't even need to set up an account to play with the Duels of the Plainswalkers cards - I have Magic Online installed on my work computer and I just use the trial account whenever I'd like to play. It's limited to those cards, give or take.

We stand corrected!

Duels of the Planeswalkers is coming to Steam next month!

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    GrainGrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ya...if you enjoy DotP then I highly recommend MTGO as the next step.

Grain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Can anyone explain the second last challenge from the DLC to me? I beat it but I want to know how it works and looking for an explanation online has led me to believe that perhaps the mechanic that lets you win is a flaw in the rules that they sort of force you to learn.

Arikado on
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the 8 land cards in one turn would have to be done with the Nicol Bolas deck with those twigs and land fetching cards.

Nah it's with the Green-White deck.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Can anyone explain the second last challenge from the DLC to me? I beat it but I want to know how it works and looking for an explanation online has led me to believe that perhaps the mechanic that lets you win is a flaw in the rules that they sort of force you to learn.

Not sure which part you're talking about...
    The part where it allows you to tap land cards, or where you bring the octopus in during the opponent's main phase?
    (I'm by no means an expert on Magic's ruleset, but figured a bump might help you out)

Bobble on