As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

internet explorer heavily locked down, need access.

AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened OptimistThe Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I am having a Hell of a time unlocking internet explorer.

For some reason, iexplore.exe looks to the system like a dos file. If I try to execute it, it says it isn't there. If I edit the name, it denys me, saying it is write protected. If I change permissions, it doesn't affect the file.

If I try to install ie 7, the installer crashes when it starts to unpack the executable.

I need ie available for a program to run. The computer is part of a domain, but the server can't edit the file either. I downloaded an unlocker file, and it says winlogon is locking the file, but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
Athenor on

• Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Googling the crash you get in the IE installation is your best bet.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Googling the crash you get in the IE installation is your best bet.

It's the same error: Access is denied.

I can't change any file to be named iexplore.exe, I can't change iexplore.exe's name, and it really, REALLY thinks it is an MS-DOS file.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are you logged in with an account that has administrator access or a limited user account?

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    ... are you the system administrator?

if yes: you more than likely have some hardcore virus (one of the favorite pastimes of some of them is to replace NOTEPAD and IEXPLORE)

if not: you need to talk to the sysadmin about getting this program to run

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I'm the admin. I'm trying to undo something a former employee did.. maybe. Honestly, I'm starting to suspect he didn't do this, as it seems way too complex.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like it's infected with something.

pacbowl on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Version of Windows? Have you run anti-spyware-anti-virus programs like MalwareBytes?

If you can right click a Windows-created shortcut for IE (on the desktop or in the start menu) there should be an option for Internet Properties which brings up the IE properties page without actually opening IE. From there on the last tab you can reset IE's settings to default. Generally this solves problems for me but your problem may be beyond this.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Version of Windows? Have you run anti-spyware-anti-virus programs like MalwareBytes?

If you can right click a Windows-created shortcut there should be an option for Internet Properties which brings up the IE properties page without actually opening IE. From there on the last tab you can reset IE's settings to default. Generally this solves problems for me but your problem may be beyond this.

Local's running XP. I can get to the internet options, and I cleared out all the proxy settings (which we did find a script for, implying he did that). Virus scanners are Trend and Kapersky, or however you spell it. Dunno which is actively running.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What happens if you open My Computer, delete the address and type in a website?

Edit: also Start > Run > www.whatever.com

pacbowl on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    pacbowl wrote: »
    What happens if you open My Computer, delete the address and type in a website?

Edit: also Start > Run > www.whatever.com

i'll have to let you know tomorrow. I'm off the clock ATM, doing some research on my own.

Athenor on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sounds like one of the fake AV virii floating about. I've been cleaning thost things off of people's PC's like crazy the last few weeks. Sounds like the worst one too. Most executables will not run, but explorer.exe should. If it does, download Process Explorer on another machine and drop it on a thumb drive. Make a copy and rename the copy to explorer.exe, plug the thumb drive into your machine and run the new explorer.exe. See if there's a weird process running branching from explorer.exe towards the bottom of the list of running processes: that's likely the source of the problem. kill it and see if IE will run.

krush on