As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jack 'Batman' Thompson at it again: VS. Kotaku

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    BTW, is the punitive/disbarment Bar hearing cancelled after the take2/Thompson settlement? I thought the judge was one of the people who filed an official complaint.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Smudge wrote: »
    My only issue is the OP getting down on the legal system because any wacko can file any claim against anyone. It is actually one of the better things about our legal system in my opinion.

Lawyers who file stupid claims all the time should get their rights revoked at some point if they keep doing it. The process for that is in place, but it seems like the Florida bar is willing to put up with a lot of shit.

Anyone know if there is a limit to how many times a year the bar is able to investigate him? I would love to see him disbarred, I live in Florida and would be affected if he just gets a game barred in the state.

The funniest thing about it all is that most gamers are FINE with the thought that super violent games should be age restricted. But instead of that, Jack is trying to outright BAN them. Wrong approach.

Jack thompson should be disbarred. It is clear he has no real regard for the law or doing whats right.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was reffering to the fact that my friend, who was 15 and had a job, still found a way to buy grand Theft Auto III, even though his parents were one of the few parents who didn't actually buy the game for him because it was too violent.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    What seems weird to me is that he lacks even the most basic understanding of the legal system, and yet somehow managed to pass the bar exam at some point.

If I'm the bar association of whatever state he passed that test in, I'm thinking it's time to seriously raise my standards.

Keep in mind there's always someone at the bottom of the class.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What seems weird to me is that he lacks even the most basic understanding of the legal system, and yet somehow managed to pass the bar exam at some point.

If I'm the bar association of whatever state he passed that test in, I'm thinking it's time to seriously raise my standards.

Keep in mind there's always someone at the bottom of the class.

Yeah, there is - and that person probably shouldn't pass the bar exam and get a liscense to practice law.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Cups42 wrote: »
    The fact is that even if they put a tighter restriction on M rated games, kids will still find a way to buy them.

You mean parents will keep on buying them, because 12 year olds don't have $60 anyhow.

You and I come from an age of allowances of ~$10 a week. Twelve years old today with their cell phones, ipods, and their constant need for expensive entertainment are getting bigger allowances today. Didn't you see that South Park episode with Scott Tenorman. He was fucking with Cartman cos he wanted his $10 back until he finally lit the $10 on fire and said "Whatever kid. My parents give me $50 a week." Quite a few kids today get similar amounts.
    Then cartman made Scott eat his parents. Great episode.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    BetaflameBetaflame Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That has got me thinking. Has JHompson ever been in an episode of South Park?

Betaflame on
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This reminds me of the part in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back when they buy plane tickets to random flamers' houses for the sole purpose of kicking the snot out of them.

Jack: "Are you Kyle81?"
    Kid: "Uhm... what?"
    Jack: "EAT JUSTICE YOUNG MAN! SUBPOENA PUNCH!" (WHAM)

thegloaming on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I... I've never gotten an allowance... I mean, my parents always gave me a little money to go see a movie, or to grab some clothes at the mall, etc... but...

Bah. I'm living it up now, anyways. No cost of living, and working.

Err, tangetical...

Jacko is crazy. He should run into a burning building and wait for it to collapse.

Did I do that right?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yes, and even back then it wasn't really hard to save up for a new game. it took you about 5-6 weeks to save up for one IF your parents didn't buy it for you.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just had a strange desire to email Jack and tell him that a group of pixelantes are spreading lies and unwholesome ideas on the forums of that vile penny-arcade website.

They must be stopped!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    I... I've never gotten an allowance... I mean, my parents always gave me a little money to go see a movie, or to grab some clothes at the mall, etc... but...

Err, tangetical...

Jacko is crazy. He should run into a burning building and wait for it to collapse.

Did I do that right?

I got money for school lunch (which I sometimes saved up by not eating), and I got $10 if I mowed the lawn

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

Err, tangetical...

Did I do that right?

I got money for school lunch (which I sometimes saved up by not eating), and I got $10 if I mowed the lawn

Yeah it wasn't hard to save lunch money by not eating. I mean, i would take maybe a bite of the lunch and want to throw up.

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I had an idea a couple of years ago, and I think I've shared it on the forum before, but I shall share it again because... well, because I can. It involved a fundraising site where visitors could make donations via PayPal to amass enough money to buy Jack Thompson a GameBoy Micro and a few games. Stuff like Dr. Mario + Puzzle League, Worms World Party, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario Tennis, Sheep, and so on. I even started designing a website, although I trashed it ages ago. I figured there were better things for people to spend their money on... like Child's Play, for instance.

I think I'm past the point now, though, where Jack Thompson can be considered important or noteworthy. We report on his unique brand of stupidity every so often over at RealVG, but really it doesn't interest me. Ultimately, he's like Philip Howard, the Winner or Sinner guy at Oxford Circus; I'm aware of his existence, but he just doesn't register anymore.

Edit: On the subject of allowances, I used to get £1 a week when I was younger provided I could say my times tables for that week. That stopped after Junior School, and after that the only money I got from my Mum was to cover bus fare to school. Ho hum.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out the point in history where Jack's sanity "jumped the shark".

A long time ago. I remember seeing him in a sex documentary a long long time back and he was crazy in that.

Leitner on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    SC wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out the point in history where Jack's sanity "jumped the shark".

A long time ago. I remember seeing him in a sex documentary a long long time back and he was crazy in that.

HE FOUGHT IN THE PMRC CRUSADES

HE'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS

DAMNIT YOU KIDS HAVE NO SENSE OF HISTORY

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I had to recite the 4 yorkshiremen sketch 5 times before I was allowed to go to work down the mill for tupench a week, and I was glad of it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    SC wrote: »

HE FOUGHT IN THE PMRC CRUSADES

HE'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS

DAMNIT YOU KIDS HAVE NO SENSE OF HISTORY

take your medication, grandpa ;-)

Guek on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Err, tangetical...

Did I do that right?

Similar for me. Except I actually bought lunch, and only got a fiver for the lawn.
    And by senior year of high school, I was saving up my lunch money for cigarettes.

:/

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hell, i remember paying an extortionate amount of money to buy the X-Wing collection, and then having to convince my parents that even though the age-rating was 12 or something, and i was 11 (it was something like that, anyway) that it'd be okay.
    And not once have i ever used my piloting skills for evil.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    hell, i remember paying an extortionate amount of money to buy the X-Wing collection, and then having to convince my parents that even though the age-rating was 12 or something, and i was 11 (it was something like that, anyway) that it'd be okay.

Well... except for that time you and I blew up that artificial planet that the Russian government had made on the dark side of the moon. But I suppose it should be noted that we only knew it was a super-orphanage eight days before the mission, and that was too long to cancel it.

Hompson (incidentally, for the longest time I thought that arose to foil vanity searches) simply doesn't understand the Internet. If the likes of the FBI or MI5 kept near their faxes, itching to read complaints from some clanked-out old fart politician regarding how some bloke down the pub had said "he deserved to be shot", then the world would fall over and be unable to get up and would kind of roll around like a crying, confused fat person.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Well... except for that time you and I blew up that artificial planet that the Russian government had made on the dark side of the moon. But I suppose it should be noted that we only knew it was a super-orphanage eight days before the mission, and that was too long to cancel it.

Hompson (incidentally, for the longest time I thought that arose to foil vanity searches) simply doesn't understand the Internet. If the likes of the FBI or MI5 kept near their faxes, itching to read complaints from some clanked-out old fart politician regarding how some bloke down the pub had said "he deserved to be shot", then the world would fall over and be unable to get up and would kind of roll around like a crying, confused fat person.

porkins?! PORKIIIIIIINS??!!!!!!!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    What is this 'Hompson' thing? Is it a reference to something I'm missing? Smacks of 'Zelda? More liek Celda!' to me.

Someone accidentally dropped the T in Thompson and someone noticed, pointed it out, and it stuck in the way that all internet memes do: well past the point of being clever or funny

Also, it's worth noting that in SE, long before Thompson came around, "homp" was used in place of "homo," so it's doubly funny to me. I don't know if that schtick is on other sites.

Pb on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    2 Live Crew... 1980s.

Was he really responsible for that?! Did not know that. Hilarious!
    NINJA EDIT for quoting the wrong song

Yeah, he also mixed it up with Janet Reno while campaigning for the office of attorney general in Florida. Say what you like about Janet Reno (and most people will), but at least she prevented Jack Thompson from controlling the legal system of an entire state. If Jack had won that election, everyone in Florida would be wearing burkas and churning butter for fun right now.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    2 Live Crew... 1980s.

Was he really responsible for that?! Did not know that. Hilarious!
    NINJA EDIT for quoting the wrong song

Yeah, he also mixed it up with Janet Reno while campaigning for the office of attorney general in Florida. Say what you like about Janet Reno (and most people will), but at least she prevented Jack Thompson from controlling the legal system of an entire state. If Jack had won that election, everyone in Florida would be wearing burkas and churning butter for fun right now.

Something about a note to Reno that said
    Are you a lesbian?
    • Yes
    • No

I'm not sure that was the exact wording, but it was close...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    About looking up ol' Jack Homp

Try "B", for BATSHIT INSANE

Or "F" for fucking retard.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Are you a lesbian?
    • Yes
    • No

That was about it.

She responded by putting her arm around him and saying "I only like virile men, that's why I'm not attracted to you."

Then I believe he sued her for battery.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Are you a lesbian?
    • Yes
    • No

That was about it.

She responded by putting her arm around him and saying "I only like virile men, that's why I'm not attracted to you."

Then I believe he sued her for battery.

Retract that statement or I'll sue you for slander.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Metalfoot wrote: »
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So if he reads up on all these random gaming sites, one has to imagine he's been by here at one point or another.

How many lawsuits do you think we've racked up? A few hundred?

He did it in Broward County no less? That means the idiot can't be further than half an hour away from me.

I could probably visit his law office.

Not that I would.

Go to his office, set down a yummy chocolate cake with the words "From the Gamers of the World" written on it at his door.

Knock on the door and leave.

The cake is not to tampered with in any way.

Let us see how he reacts.

And video tape his reaction to the cake.

EDIT: Your Ninja edit skills impress me.

Didn't gamers send him flowers once? I believe he sued them.

Yes, I think so...I don't recall exactly what happened though, now that it's come up again. I think he was trying to claim it was harassment. Anyone have a link?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Damn. I'd hate to get harassed with gifts. Brutal.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Almost as bad as getting attacked by HUGS.

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You would probably get sued for battery.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Might as well add sodomy charges for making a homosexual advance towards him while you're at it.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Might as well add sodomy charges for making a homosexual advance towards him while you're at it.

I think that... I think that requires penetration

megabarf.gif

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CharaChara Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't remember the specifics but some gamers sent him flowers and a note. The note was basically "Jack please stop we are not insane. Love Gamers" He sued for harassment.

Chara on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Smudge wrote: »
    My only issue is the OP getting down on the legal system because any wacko can file any claim against anyone. It is actually one of the better things about our legal system in my opinion.

Lawyers who file stupid claims all the time should get their rights revoked at some point if they keep doing it. The process for that is in place, but it seems like the Florida bar is willing to put up with a lot of shit.

Anyone know if there is a limit to how many times a year the bar is able to investigate him? I would love to see him disbarred, I live in Florida and would be affected if he just gets a game barred in the state.

The funniest thing about it all is that most gamers are FINE with the thought that super violent games should be age restricted. But instead of that, Jack is trying to outright BAN them. Wrong approach.

Yeah, but you also have the problem of shit like the RIAA filing a bunch of lawsuits and fucking subpoenas against anyone their BS programs say owes them money. And when people actually fight back, they drop the cases. That's horseshit. Seems like its a form of slander... you call me a cheat, I prove I'm not, you don't just go "Oh my bad", you pay me for slandering my name.

Its not the same as a criminal suit; this is a private organization bringing forth (mostly) bullshit charges just to seem like a badass. There needs to be serious repercussions for this sort of bullshit.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

megabarf.gif
    Since when have the facts ever stopped ol' Jack from tossing something into a lawsuit?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't get it. Isn't there SOME penalty for filing frivolous lawsuits in an attempt to harass or coerce others? If not, why not? Jack Thompson is clearly abusing the legal system here.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    edited April 2007

barf
    Since when have the facts ever stopped ol' Jack from tossing something into a lawsuit?

Come to think of it, I would love to see Jack claim he'd been anally assaulted.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Did anyone else get to 'Dear FBI:' and just start laughing really hard?

Frostozuna on