As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] ITT we await [Chat]aclysm

1606162636466»

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fear was a perfectly viable CC when you could break it with Curse of Recklessness. No idea why they removed that; it was one of my favorite strategies.

It's still reasonably viable now, as long as you know how to redirect the mob if it's going in the wrong direction. Re-applying Fear, or changing the target's movement speed in some way (Curse of Exhaustion), will force them to choose another path.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    *Whet.

Just sayin'.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    shosarshosar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    thanks, thought something looked screwy.

shosar on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I guess the link has a lot of in-lined images because it sure doesn't like loading on my connection. <_<

Just tell me what the hell it is in a spoiler! D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok, so to sum up
    Rambling writeup of the stuff at the link ahead, you've been warned. Also I did this quickly, so it's not very well written.
    You start as a human in Gilneas, which is under attack by the Worgen, get ordered by the king to rescue a "traitor", then an alchemist, then you and the traitor head to the cathedral to draw off the worgen from some fleeing survivors, then you kill a bunch of Worgen with cannons. You escape into the cathedral where the Worgen break through your defenses and it jumps one year later.

You're in the stocks, the alchemist is trying to cure you, the king's advisor wants to kill you, the king shows up and says to give you a double dose of worgen-b-gone and you're then back in control. You're sent off to get more of a treatment to help you out, but you find the treatment trashed and the Forsaken attacking. You do some nifty fighting including killing a forsaken general with dogs and tossing explosives at Abominations. Then there's an earthquake that destroys the forsaken ships, sinks large portions of the land and I'm assuming breaks down the greymane wall. Forsaken begin invading by land, but you lure an Ettin to kill them. (Otre + Giant + Bow Chicka Wow Wow = Ettin)

You're sent to a house, where you find a Nelf, who sends you to a funky tree where you find another Nelf and the "traitor" from before, he's a worgen too. Turns out that the tree was once the home of a sect of druids who could turn into wolves, but they went nuts (I'm gonna guess this is the new origin of Worgen). The Nelf uses the Scythe of Elune and some magic water-wells to allow you to conquer the beast, thus giving you the ability to switch between ugly human and badass wolfbeast.

The king shows up, has a convo with the traitor, and reveals that he too is a Worgen. The king's advisor goes a little nuts, kidnaps the king, and plans to turn him over to the forsaken in a gesture of surrender. You save the king, the advisor kills himself and then you get to lead an army of Worgen against a rotface look-alike. Sylvanas and the king fight, sylvanas goes to shoot the king with a poisoned arrow, the king's son takes the hit. Sylvanas runs off, you're sent to spy on her leading to a convo between her and one of Garrosh's generals whereupon the general threatens her, tells her Garrosh forbids the use of the plague, then leaves. Sylvanas says to her helper that she's still gonna use the plague and then some stuff happens (it's unfinished apparently) and you end up at Rut'theran.

shosar on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Holy balls dude.
    That's not a new origin of Worgen. It's a fucking follow-up on the Scythe of Elune fiasco.

Henroid on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's the
    Scythe of Elune fiasco?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Re: Westfall, again, HUGE spoilers, and written to be quick, not good.
    Everything starts with Old Blanchy, you enter the zone to see David Caruso - I mean, Horatio Laine - and some investigators checking out the bodies of Old Blanchy and her humans. Horatio Laine makes a pun then sends you to a nearby farm to check for clues. You head off and find the farm filled with homeless people who really really don't like the king, apparently their homes were destroyed in the Cataclysm and Mr. Chin is too cheap to help. From there you go to check out the local Murlocs and Gnolls, to see if they had anything to do with it. After killing a few of them, you find some red cloth, and a letter that says this:

<the letter is missing entries as the ink has washed away in many places>
    Every Form of ... has been based ... on the antagonism of oppressing and oppressed...
    ...nothing to lose but your chains...
    ...the past cannot be forgotten...
    ...cannot be forgiven...
    will RISE AGAIN!

Horatio can't figure it out from this, and sends you off to see an informant, two-shoed Lou. Lou sends you to Jangolode mine with a crate, you head off and use the crate, solid-snake style to hide and you witness a meeting between an ogre mage, Glubtok and a shadowy figure. (who is literally a shadowy figure, it's a woman who's all black, as if she didn't have a model.) The shadowy figure promises power to Glubtok if he joins her. You head back to Lou and he sends you behind a nearby barn, where he noticed some thugs skulking. You go back and do your thing, then return to find Lou dead, with the investigators all around. Laine shoots off another one-liner and sends you off Saldean Farm, where you do kill some harvest golems and make some westfall stew (the more things change...) They tell you about a little girl they adopted who had amnesia, so they named her Hope. She's very close to the homeless people in Westfall and so they send you to find her up at the newly renovated Sentinel Hill. You meet up with Gyran Stoutmantle, who has returned from his efforts in Northrend (looks like he got a gear upgrade too). Stoutmantle and Laine have a conversation about a nearby Worgen who's in the stocks for killing some local sheep. That conversation leads to this exchange:

Ripsnarl says: When I break out of these stocks I'm going to rip out your heart and devour it whole!
    Lieutenant Horation Laine says: Wow, the marshal wasn't kidding.
    Lieutenant Horation Laine says: But is your bark...
    Lieutenant Horation Laine says: worse than your bite?

You talk to Hope, she sends you off to feed westfall stew to some of the homeless people, Gyran sends you to kill some Gnolls. You find an attack plan which mentions someone named Helix and signed with a V. Gyran realizes that Helix is probably a goblin named Helix Gearbreaker whom SI:7 has been shadowing, and sends you off to meet with the agent who's following him. You find the agent at the tower near the duskwood border, she gives you an invisibility potion and you head in to spy on Helix, who's involved in another conversation with the shadowy figure!

It turns out the gnolls were actually part of a plan to rescue " The Admiral" but they failed because you gave them a serious case of dead. The shadowy figure says it doesn't matter, and orders Helix to gather people together so they can speak to them one last time before "the dawning" (dun dun dunnnnn) and sends him off to Moonbrook. Gyran sends you to a small alliance outpost near moonbrook and you collect some propaganda leaflets that are all about rising up against the oppressors, and are signed with a V. You also find a newspaper with a story about how a local group of homeless samaritans were killed by a crazy man behind a barn.

You are then sent to the meeting between many of the homeless & the shadowy figure. She calls themselves the “abandoned, orphaned children of Stormwind” and talks about how Varian needs to be made accountable, as he doesn’t care about their plight. She declares that they all are reborn by today – “as men and women, not nameless faceless numbers!”

You head back to the outpost, and you're sent to talk to a Shaman who sends you into the Deadmines, the actual dungeon with some incense. You head in (not a defias in sight, turns out they were all wiped out by alliance heroes). You make your way through and use the incense to witness the fight between some jingoistic Alliance heroes and Van Cleef, they kill him, praise Stormwind and leave. After they leave a little girl, Vanessa Van Cleef comes out of the little room Van Cleef was in, goes up to him and says "daddy..."

You head back to Sentinel Hill, and a scene unfolds in which Hope reveals herself to be Vanessa Van Cleef, frees the Worgen - Admiral Ripsnarl - stuns Gyran and Laine and lets you go because you've been a big help. She also explains that she killed the Furlbrows and Blanchy because the Furlbrows recognized her as Van Cleef's daughter. She rallies the new Defias with the guys you saw her conversing with earlier (I'm gonna guess they're the new deadmines bosses) and then she orders Sentinel Hill to be burned to the ground, and Gyran yells at you to get to Stormwind and warn the king.

You go to SW, warn the king, and he sends some soldiers to Westfall, you head back and find Westfall burning, the soldiers fighting and...

That's all the guy has at the site, seems to be unfinished.

shosar on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    What's the
    Scythe of Elune fiasco?
    The scythe quest starts from a quest chain in Ashenvale. A nelf priestess goes missing and you are sent to track her down and find out what happened. Turns out she was battling the Legion forces on Mt Hyjal and looking for a better way to deal with them. Elune gave her a magic scythe which summoned worgen from....somewhere. The worgen under her control were kicking butt and taking names but after awhile the scythe kinda started summoning more of them on it's own and she lost control over some of the worgen troops.

They started going missing as some of them went awol. So she took the ones under her control and ordered them to guard the shrine of Mel'thandris in the Howling Vale in northern Ashenvale on the border to Felwood(they're still there) and she went to look for the others. She traveled south through the barrens to Ratchet, took the boat to Booty Bay, and traveled north.....to Duskwood. She died there and was buried in a shallow grave in a mine. An npc named Jitters disturbed the grave and found the scythe and it started summoning more Worgen again, hence the problems in Duskwood. He fled the mine and dropped the scythe somewhere in the process.

The dark mage Morganth(tower of Ilgalar, Redridge) is looking for the scythe as are Dark riders that came from the direction of Deadwind Pass. It's unclear whether they found it or not. Arugal took an interest in the worgen. He either kidnapped some or found a way to make his own(possibly he found the scythe), hence the problems in Silverpine and Gilneas. Hints are that the worgen in Grizzly Hills may have had possession of the scythe. It's current location is not known.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought Arugal summoned his worgen from another world?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Some more neat pics from the same post, these of Darkshore and Hyjal, as well as a pic of the new spellbook and the new SW AH, for those of you who can't read the other forum:
    11bb.th.jpg11bb.th.jpg53469642.th.jpg50957195.th.jpg78361499.th.jpg21bho.th.jpg19bo.th.jpg18boc.th.jpg
    17bqt.th.jpg12bq.th.jpg11bnb.th.jpg32890343.th.jpg60062928.th.jpg

shosar on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe? Some of the lore seems to indicate he did summon them to fight the scourge but the worgen betrayed the Kirin'Tor. Some of the quests indicate he found a way to turn people and was using magical bracelets of some sort(either as part of the process to turn them and/or keep them under control).

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It could be that he summoned them from another time, instead of another world, thus matching with the whole " ancient druids who became wolves and went crazy" thing. Or the Scythe is just being used to allow them to control themselves, as it allowed those druids to be able to control themselves.

shosar on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, interesting ilevel on that quest reward. So we may indeed be replacing things fresh off the boat after all.
    Guess I'll spoiler that just to be safe-ish.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    It's certainly possible to do H HoR without using CC, but I'm pretty sure that instance was designed for CC to be used. Bliz is trying to get us back in the habit of using CC. That's no secret.

It's almost the perfect place for CC. It has a big wide open area(which no one utilizes) and no chance of pulling additional mobs.
    Except that everything is undead which negates a lot of classes' ability to CC anything.

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    shosar wrote: »
    It could be that he summoned them from another time, instead of another world, thus matching with the whole " ancient druids who became wolves and went crazy" thing. Or the Scythe is just being used to allow them to control themselves, as it allowed those druids to be able to control themselves.

Yeah that's what we need.
    More time travel.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Time travel can fix anything!

shosar on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The new spellbook looks pretty spiffy.

Toothy on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Wow, interesting ilevel on that quest reward. So we may indeed be replacing things fresh off the boat after all.
    That ilevel is pretty much on par with the last two expansions in comparison to the currently available gear. Keep in mind that a 272 green is usually not going to beat a 251 epic.

One thing that makes me happy though is that quest itemization in the new 80+ content seems to be more like TBC (and even slightly better) so far, instead of the awful 3-stat shit that was barfed out in WotLK. If everything continues to be 4-stat gear, it's going to be a lot more competitive with rare/epic gear than before.

forty on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hah hah, so much for
    Sylvanus
    not being a total villain. At last the Horde has it's Varian allegory, and surprise!
    It's not Garrosh.

Fixed with spoilers. Wasn't quite sure how to spoilerize and still give people a clue before clicking, resolved.

-double edit-

Man I am a failboat today.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hah hah, so much for Sylvanus not being a total villain. At last the Horde has it's Varian allegory, and surprise! It's not Garrosh.

SPOILER THAT SHIT YO.

But yeah I'm glad that she's still sticking to her guns on things.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    What's the
    Scythe of Elune fiasco?
    The scythe quest starts from a quest chain in Ashenvale. A nelf priestess goes missing and you are sent to track her down and find out what happened. Turns out she was battling the Legion forces on Mt Hyjal and looking for a better way to deal with them. Elune gave her a magic scythe which summoned worgen from....somewhere. The worgen under her control were kicking butt and taking names but after awhile the scythe kinda started summoning more of them on it's own and she lost control over some of the worgen troops.

They started going missing as some of them went awol. So she took the ones under her control and ordered them to guard the shrine of Mel'thandris in the Howling Vale in northern Ashenvale on the border to Felwood(they're still there) and she went to look for the others. She traveled south through the barrens to Ratchet, took the boat to Booty Bay, and traveled north.....to Duskwood. She died there and was buried in a shallow grave in a mine. An npc named Jitters disturbed the grave and found the scythe and it started summoning more Worgen again, hence the problems in Duskwood. He fled the mine and dropped the scythe somewhere in the process.

The dark mage Morganth(tower of Ilgalar, Redridge) is looking for the scythe as are Dark riders that came from the direction of Deadwind Pass. It's unclear whether they found it or not. Arugal took an interest in the worgen. He either kidnapped some or found a way to make his own(possibly he found the scythe), hence the problems in Silverpine and Gilneas. Hints are that the worgen in Grizzly Hills may have had possession of the scythe. It's current location is not known.

There's nothing conclusive that even says she died in the mine, and the nelf you ultimately turn the quest into suggests that it's unlikely she perished. I wouldn't be surprised if she turns up in the expac.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Toothy wrote: »
    The new spellbook looks pretty spiffy.

It really does. Though now we have a sneakpeak at some things. Victory Rush being available at low levels rules. And Battle Shout at level 24, the hell?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Victory Rush is already available at low levels. It does indeed rule.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hah hah, so much for Sylvanus not being a total villain. At last the Horde has it's Varian allegory, and surprise! It's not Garrosh.

SPOILER THAT SHIT YO.

But yeah I'm glad that she's still sticking to her guns on things.

I find some satisfaction in being right about the Forsaken all along, but then I'm racist against the Horde pretty much anyway.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well I mean, anyone expecting them to be honorable is a silly goose.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What do you mean when you say right about the forsaken?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Would somebody mind explaining all this in a spoiler?

tehmarken on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ever since Sylvanas died, she's been an undead bitch really. It looks like the Forsaken have made themselves a nasty new enemy.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, this is about cataclysm stuff. Nevermind, I'm just gonna wait for it then. But I am now looking forward even more.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »
    That ilevel is pretty much on par with the last two expansions in comparison to the currently available gear. Keep in mind that a 272 green is usually not going to beat a 251 epic.
    Certainly, but it'll likely blow away 232 gear, which is what most people will have (and what a majority of alts will have), so that will be nice. I don't mind having my endgame-geared dude sit in his gear for five levels, but the T9 that my alts (and others mains) will have had for a year plus should definitely be replaceable.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    People in on the raiding for the glory / conquering won't mind I think. But people in on it specifically for loot are going to shit a brick.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    People in on the raiding for the glory / conquering won't mind I think. But people in on it specifically for loot are going to shit a brick.

Excellent.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.