As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]aclysm: still not here

• KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Well, 60. Hell, if the new 1-60 is really good I could see staying there until the xp/quests run out then skip past HFP completely perhaps.

I shall also be doing this, seriously fuck HFP

Kaglicious on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Well, 60. Hell, if the new 1-60 is really good I could see staying there until the xp/quests run out then skip past HFP completely perhaps.

Hmmm. There was that time on my rogue I got to 61 on old Azeroth stuff before stepping into HFP.

I dunno, you're kinda right. Maybe HFP can be skipped and Zangar and Terokkar will be brief stops along the way. See, now it's not so bad. Yay.

Henroid on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's wrong with HFP? I've only been through it once, but I don't remember it being remarkably good or bad in any way.

Drool on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drool wrote: »
    What's wrong with HFP? I've only been through it once, but I don't remember it being remarkably good or bad in any way.

It's ugly, the ridiculous boars are more powerful than elite mobs, the Fel Reavers. Oh and it's dull.

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2010
    The Fel Reavers aren't really a problem I didn't get killed by them once, you can hear them coming a mile away. It is pretty dull though. Kind of crazy they decided to open their first expansion with such a ho hum zone.

Drool on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    HFP's not a good repeat zone due to how sprawling and boring it is but unfortunately everyone levelling more than one character past 60 will hit it at some point.

Opty on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Everything is so...brown.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drool wrote: »

See, there's the disconnect right there.

Henroid on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Everything is so...brown.

I would say it's more reddish-brown.

But goddamn, it's so weird to me how ugly HFP is compared to Zangarmarsh or Nagrand. Hell, even Terrokar is better.

The real question is, how many people who didn't level to 70 during BC have ever actually set foot in Shadow-whatever? I think I might have walked into the zone once, but I've never actually gone there to quest, and it's kind of a shame that it works that way.

I really don't understand why Blizzard designs new expansions in such a way that you can go in 2 levels before the previous cap (58 in BC, 68 in WotLK, etc), but then gives you so much experience that you don't actually have to quest in all the new zones. It seems counterproductive to me, and I hope that isn't the case in Cata.

Vincent Grayson on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hellfire was utterly fantastic my first time through on TBC's release day/week, even with the vast numbers of people there. Lots of people doing group quests, plenty of mobs to go around, and even - gasp! - consensual PvP!

Then you did it again a month or three later with an alt.

And again.

And again.

Then you go to take a character of the opposite faction thr-- nope, still crap.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it holds up pretty terribly to repeat playing.

I mean, even zangar tires me after the nth time, but at least zangar isn't completely fucking ugly.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Every zone will get old if you go through it a million times. Its worth with desolate brown zones though. Except for Strangle Thorn Vale, for some reason I can't stand that zone and I avoid it when leveling now. I guess it's all the bad memories of getting ganked, or maybe it's huge terrible runs through fields of animals bunched close together.

Drool on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Hellfire was utterly fantastic my first time through on TBC's release day/week, even with the vast numbers of people there. Lots of people doing group quests, plenty of mobs to go around, and even - gasp! - consensual PvP!

And again.

And again.

The first 3 days on my server after TBC came out was loads of lag and crashes which gradually became workable, followed by about 4-5 months of active leveling and world PvP in the area for both factions. Then, gradually, it went from being "OMG THE SKY IS SPACE!", to "Oh shit the Fel Reaver stepped on me again when I wasn't looking", or "Zeth'Gor still has waaaaay to many mobs close together that respawn in like 5 seconds", or trying to "look for people for ramparts and shit back in the good ol days when you used a chat channel for that". I kind of miss when it was active, just like I miss the glorious wars we used to get up to in Blackrock Mountain while trying to run dungeons and raids. Throwing each other with MC into lava.. good times.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

And again.

And again.

The first 3 days on my server after TBC came out was loads of lag and crashes which gradually became workable, followed by about 4-5 months of active leveling and world PvP in the area for both factions. Then, gradually, it went from being "OMG THE SKY IS SPACE!", to "Oh shit the Fel Reaver stepped on me again when I wasn't looking", or "Zeth'Gor still has waaaaay to many mobs close together that respawn in like 5 seconds", or trying to "look for people for ramparts and shit back in the good ol days when you used a chat channel for that". I kind of miss when it was active, just like I miss the glorious wars we used to get up to in Blackrock Mountain while trying to run dungeons and raids. Throwing each other with MC into lava.. good times.

On Chromaggus, the little landing right in front of the entrance portal to Blackrock Spire was essentially a little BG unto itself.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember my first character, a Tauren hunter on Lothar. My very first BWL run we were waiting for some people to log in to start our fresh run, and I happened to be chilling outside the portal. Not five seconds after I sat down near the doorway to the area where the blackrock orcs were, a human paladin in nearly full T2 comes running by me, bubbled and spamming a /lol macro, and jumps off the edge of the balcony. Shortly after I heard the usual death throes of a human, and a troll laughing. My guess is his bubble ran out right before he hit the ground.

For some reason I've never forgotten that amidst all the actual PvP that went on in there and near that elf guy who gets you into MC. Was crazymode on raid nights.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hellfire was awesome to see and do that first week and onto months later
    Now it's like a western ghost town with tummble weeds every so often rolling along

Brainleech on
    edited May 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Now it's like a western ghost town with tummble weeds every so often rolling along

Fel Reaver likes to glitch through mountainous terrain these days as well, futile in his attempts to find fresh victims for his bloodlust.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Fel Reaver likes to glitch through mountainous terrain these days as well, futile in his attempts to find fresh victims for his bloodlust.

I was flying through HFP while levelling my lock, and I saw him get all shaky like he was having a seizure and path through EVERYTHING, mountains, walls, everything as he shook towards Zangarmarsh. Fel Reaver was PISSED.

mrsnackroad on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So are all new characters going to start in the new versions of the old areas, or what? I'm actually kind of a noob so I'm wondering if I'm going to actually miss the old content if I buy the new expansion right away. How exactly is this all going to work?

LockedOnTarget on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still haven't levelled an Alliance character through Northrend.

Javen on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So are all new characters going to start in the new versions of the old areas, or what? I'm actually kind of a noob so I'm wondering if I'm going to actually miss the old content if I buy the new expansion right away. How exactly is this all going to work?

The world changes are going to be for everyone, no matter if you bought the expansion or not.

So short answer is yes. The old 1-60 experience will as you know it cease to exist.

Javen on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

everything's changing whether you buy the expansion or not. only thing expansion specific are the 80-85 zones and the ability to create goblins/worgen. I would say talents but most likely those will be updated in a patch prior to expansion and make things hilariously unbalanced until context is applied.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited May 2010

It doesn't matter if you buy the expansion or not, the low level content is changing. When patch 4.0 drops, even if you have just a vanilla WoW client or TBC, all the old world content is updating to the Cataclysm stuff.

The expansion will give you access to the new 78 - 85 content, as well as getting you the level cap of 85. You'll need WotLK and TBC, of course.

As for the starting areas, I think I saw a note on one of the sites keep track of official Cataclysm info that they're sort of consolidating starting areas for the original races, like Orcs / Tauren / Trolls / Undead will start in the same area. But I don't buy that. Whether or not they're doing that, the starting stuff is definitely changing. I think it's going to be the same zones, but the content will be way different.

Henroid on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I actually like Hellfire Peninusla... and I can't stand Zangarmash. Nagrand is alright, I guess.

aunsoph on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My highest horde character, not counting a faction change, is only 34. I'm debating taking something 1-60 just to see the Horde quests before they all change. Now that I can mail heirlooms crossfaction, I might be able to do it...

tehmarken on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    aunsoph wrote: »
    I actually like Hellfire Peninusla... and I can't stand Zangarmash. Nagrand is alright, I guess.

Wow, that's really weird. Most everyone feels the exact opposite. Personally I love Zangarmarsh and BEM. I enjoyed my first time through Nagrand, but now I skip it. I force myself to complete all the HFP quests because I know them, and with a flying mount it's efficient. Then I do everything in Zangar, a few cherry picked quests in Terrokar, and some BEM and I'm ready to go to Northrend.

Regina Fong on
  • XynnXynn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are you all sure that at 58/60 you need to go to HFP? I could swear I remember them talking about how they want EK/Kalim to be able to take you to 85 and are reworking the level of areas to fit that. I could be wrong though...

Xynn on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No, they never said, and you do need to go to Outland and Northrend.

reVerse on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

Wow, that's really weird. Most everyone feels the exact opposite. Personally I love Zangarmarsh and BEM. I enjoyed my first time through Nagrand, but now I skip it. I force myself to complete all the HFP quests because I know them, and with a flying mount it's efficient. Then I do everything in Zangar, a few cherry picked quests in Terrokar, and some BEM and I'm ready to go to Northrend.

I like the LOOK of Zangarmarsh, but it's far more annoying to quest in.

shryke on
    edited May 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »

I like the LOOK of Zangarmarsh, but it's far more annoying to quest in.

There's too many swimming quests in Zangarmarsh. Also, the mobs there are annoying: mosquitoes and insects and more mosquitoes, oh my. This really feels like a fantastical world of magic.

reVerse on
    edited May 2010
    The only bad thing about Zangar is that the quests weren't as well laid out as HFP or other TBC zones. Like they don't spiral outward from hubs necessarily, there's a lot of running around wildly. But they're easy, and it carries you for a bit in levels.

It's also blue and easy on my eyes.

Henroid on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like Zangar the most out of all the BC zones. I like the style, the mobs (nice variety compared to other zones) and I don't think the quests are badly laid out. You need to have plan, though, you can't just do every quest in the order it's offered. I think HFP and Nagrand both have worse running around. (might not apply to Alliance?)

Blade's Edge just sucked when you couldn't fly in it. Now it's not so bad, although everybody dings 68 in Nagrand anyway. it has some funny quests (the Rexxar line basically).

Grobian on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    With flying at 60 now, HFP and Zangar aren't bad, but Nagrand still fucking sucks. Those kill quests are stupid. (Speaking of the nessingwary quests)

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited May 2010
    Terokkar and Zangar are probably my two favorite zones. Their scenery isn't really intense, sorta tranquil. Nagrand is vibrant and pretty in that way, but it's a big pain in the ass zone.

Edit - Favorite as far as TBC goes, mind you. Quel'Danas was cool and not cool at the same time. On a PvP server, there's a joy to be had when you're actually co-existing with the other side for a bit, doing dailies. But that doesn't last long or happen often.

Henroid on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

When I went to Hellfire first time, it was on a PvP server, so I was really taken aback to see Horde and Alliance players working together to mutually help each other take down quest mobs. Watching a mixed-faction group of about ten people stick around Arazzius the Cruel and taking turns to bring him down was pretty awesome to watch. Felt proud to be part of that community.

Of course by the time I reached Netherstorm everyone was just back to ganking again. :(

Dunxco on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still think though that hte best BC zone is the BElf starting zone. I think it's called Eversong Woods, but I might have it mixed up with another. The entire thing just "fits" IMO, and the music in it is awesome.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I always thought that one belf 'town' in the next zone over had the best rep system attached to it. By the time you've done all the quests for the town you're exalted with it. I think there should be more like that, where it doesn't take forever.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
    edited May 2010
    The Belf starting zone is easily the best area in the game.

reVerse on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

It was/is? terribly unfortunate though if you were leveling a warrior there with guildmates.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    KingMole wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

It was/is? terribly unfortunate though if you were leveling a warrior there with guildmates.

Or a Shaman. At least as a Warrior you could use the orb of translocation to get to/from Undercity.

Dunxco on
This discussion has been closed.