As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter: Demon Armageddon, coolest ultra.

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
4425855063_578cd1edc6.jpg

24e2x75.jpg

2ch6lxk.jpg21ljx9w.jpgjgo4d1.jpg21jbqep.jpg7237lx.jpgvxkuq9.jpgf40ght.jpg
2wqspau.jpg33csvhz.jpg3wx3t.jpg34jbreb.jpg4ram3d.jpg21b6lb9.jpg11qrct0.jpg
2d0njuh.jpgdzv4nd.jpgnoc174.jpg2rlzo0o.jpg2mxegyf.jpg1108z1f.jpg2m4u5bo.jpg
2cdzy3r.jpg23msisk.jpg2d7uf6b.jpg2ih2lcl.jpgzoewwg.jpg33b1w8n.jpgzluh39.jpg
2pr89xs.jpgfeqb1c.jpg2dsiu8l.jpg2i6ow7r.jpg122n592.jpg2zqrg2r.jpgnmyst1.jpg

So you wanna be a Street Fighter?
Step 1: Fundamentals
The information in the spoiler will help you get started!
The Footsies Handbook
A list of common Street Fighter notations
A glossary of common Street Fighter terms
Shoryuken New Player Forum
Sirlin's Playing to Win Guide- Deals with mindsets and strategy.
Know your character! - a bit shallow, but good for basics
Know your character some more! Getting a little deeper.
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onvtbvgU_Rk"]Vesper Arcade Guide[/vidurl], pretty good for total newbies, gets into more advanced stuff in later chapters.
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMboPnznJc]Video on hit confirming.[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHoGHcgK9k]Video on option selects[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUe7HkRkNM]Video on spacing and zoning[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA]First in a good series[/vidurl] of videos on zoning, knockdown and something else good that I forgot.
Vesper Arcade shows you how to do the trials
Step 2: Getting more serious.
More information than you thought existed, and arcade stick info.
The Street Fighter Wiki page
Eventhubs.com
How to read frame data.
Shoryuken Forums - Character specific forums are great!
Why good players lose to bad ones.

The best thing you can do is play people better than you. Losing sucks but you learn a lot more than from people who you just steamroll. Get in lobbies with other PAers, since we run the whole skill spectrum. They're nice and will help you with advice and stuff. Furthermore, in Super, you can watch your own replays to see why you lost! How cool is that?
Step 2a: Getting a fight stick.
The Joystick Rant
Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.

Now that we have that out of the way, here are some stick related links:
The SRK Tech Talk Forums: Everything you need to know to mod or build your own stick.
Switching from a pad to a stick.
Arcade Stick Guide - Complete with reviews, faq and glossary!
Slagcoin's Ridiculously In Depth Joystick Guide
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY"]Ways to hold a joystick[/vidurl]
Step 3: Watching the pros, learning the matches Step 4: Learning and putting it in practice: The PA Mentor Program
So, if you need help actually doing the combos, or just want someone to give you a helping hand, we are rolling out the PA mentor program. These are people who are willing to devote some time here or there to help you out. So don't be shy! The mentors are listed with their PA name (so you can pm them to work out a schedule), their live name (so you can fight them) and the classes they're willing to teach and when they can do it. If you need help, don't be shy. We're generally pretty patient and helpful!

ChaosHat - XBL: EntropyHat
Availability: Most days and evenings during the week. Weekends not so much.
Classes:
Basics and Fundamentals: work on whatever you need that isn't super character specific. Zoning, theory, footsies, it's all good.
Chun-Li: Chundamentals (do you see what I did there?) to advanced Chun theory.
Juri: Basics to advanced.
Notes: I can be reached on IRC or AIM basically anytime ever. Also, if you want to work on learning the Chun or Juri matchups for your character of choice, I have no problem doing that.

GF-Boceifus - XBL: Boceifus
Availability: Weeknights that aren't wednesday, weekends by appointment.
Classes:
Abel: Beginner to advanced
Makoto: Beginner to intermediate

A Penny Arcade SSFIV RanBat?!
If you want a PS3 ranbat, message DasUberEdward. He is trying to get the ball rolling on it.
Ranbat Season 1 Spreadsheet
Ranbat Season 2 (Current)
Okay, revised ranbat rules for added clarification.
First off, let's start with some definitions:
  • RanBat - RANking BATtle. It's what you're reading about. Players compete in tournaments to earn points and get ranked based on how many points they have earned.
  • Round - A single round. The announcer usually yells "ROUND X" before these start, with X being the round number. In between rounds, a player does not access any menus and cannot change characters.
  • Game - A grouping of rounds, usually best of three or five rounds. After a game ends (online at least) both players are returned to the lobby ready screen and character select.
  • Match - A collection of games against one specific human opponent during a single round or period of a ranbat.

Next: generic ranbat rules.
  • 99 second, best of three rounds, best of three games in a match unless otherwise specified.
  • All characters allowed.
  • Only the loser may switch characters, the winner may not switch characters, but is allowed to change ultras if desired.
Nextly, scheduling and signups!
  • All ranbats @9pm eastern!
  • Xbox 360 ranbats on Tuesday and Thursday
  • PS3 ranbats on Wednesday
  • PM ChaosHat on 360, or DasUberEdward if you're going to come the day of!
  • Log onto IRC at the start time!

Anyways, onto the actual RanBatting.
There are two phases to a ranbat night, the pools period, and the playoffs period. The exact structure of these is up to the organizer, but here are some formats you can expect. First, the pools period. There are two ways the pools period is run generally, depending on turnout. On especially low turnout nights, it is not unprecedented to skip pools. The pools period is meant to select the players who will go to the playoffs period, usually a top 8 (but potentially more in the event of large turnout). Regardless of whichever method is chosen, it is vitally important that you record your match wins and losses, as well as the games wins and losses, as the games wins/losses can be used to break a tie in the event two people have identical match records.

The Pools Period!
Method 1: Group Seeds.
In this way, each player is randomly put into a seed with other players. Each player will then fight the other players in their seed. After everyone has fought the people they are supposed to, the top player from each seed will advance to the playoff period. In the event that there are fewer than eight seeds, then the next best records are selected (think NFL wild card seeding).

Mehod 2: Personal Seeds
When the number doesn't divide nicely for even group seeds, personal seeds will be created. All players will be placed in a random order on a list, and then told to play a number of players above them on the list, and below them on the list. That sounds complicated, but here is an example from a ranbat run by ChaosHat. In this example, players are instructed to play two players above and below them to determine their own personal seed. For instance, ChaosHat would have to play Kris, Yellow Ranger, Chadwalk and SkutSkut. In the event that a player is at the top or bottom of the list, they merely wrap around to the top to get their matches. For example, ZH would play Syrous Starr, SkutSkut, Kinderparty and DRTYWRX.

The Playoff Period!
After whatever method used to determine the top eight is finished, the top eight are then placed in playoff brackets. These can be simple and single elimination, or more complex and double elimination, preference and time available generally determines this. Single elimination brackets are pretty simple, here are example double elimination brackets. Generally, finals matches are played best of five games. In single elimination, these would be the finals, and in double elimination, these are winners' finals (game 11 on the sample bracket), losers' finals (game 13) and grand finals (game 14).

A special note for double elimination: the player coming from losers' finals (the player who won game 13) has to beat the player coming from winners' finals in two matches: one match to send the winner to the loser's bracket, and another match to win the ranbat. The player coming from winners' finals needs to only win one match.

After the playoff period is finished, then points are awarded and tallied on the ranbat spreadsheet (linked above the spoiler). Points are, as of now, given out in two ways depending on the playoffs format. For single elimination, all players are awarded one point for making it to the playoffs, and awarded two extra points for every match they win after that. This makes your points distribution in a top 8 single elimination playoffs look like this: 7 points for first place, 5 points for second, 3 points for people who lost in the semifinals, and 1 point for people who lost in the first round.

For double elimination, points are determined based on what place the player made, and how many participants there were. Players earn the opposite number of points of the place they came in, so for example in an 8 player double elimination playoffs, the first place player would win 8 points, and someone who came in eighth place would win 1. When players lose in the same round, they are considered tied for the highest possible place. Using the example bracket shown above, here are the entrants and the place they finished in:
ChaosHat - 1st place, winner of grand finals, 8 points
DRTYWRX - 2nd place, lost grand finals, 7 points.
Chadwalk - 3rd place, lost loser's finals, 6 points.
Kinderparty - 4th place, lost in loser's semifinals, 5 points.
Blackbeard and e2db - tied for fifth, lost in loser's round 2, four points.
Kris and TheUnsane1 - Tied for seventh, lost in loser's round 1, two points.

Ranbat Long Term Stuff
Ranbat points are accumulated over the length of a season, which is of indeterminate length and up to whoever is running the ranbat. At the end, the standings will finalize, and something will probably happen. Maybe ChaosHat will make someone a cool forum signature denoting that they won or something. Or maybe we'll have a big end of season bracket for all the marbles, consisting of the top eight players by points. Crossing that bridge when we get to that.

cj_iwakura is working on an old school ranbat!
cj iwakura wrote: »
Okay, let's get this rolling.
The First [strike]Annual[/strike] Street Fighter Alpha/3S/whatever GGPO Tournament

When?

sfa2-05-14-171742.png

Ideally next Monday, June 7th, 9PM EST.
(For one of the two, the other, if popular enough, will transpire either next week or somewhere in between.)

What?

-Street Fighter Alpha 2 OR 3

Street_Fighter_Alpha_2_flyer.png & Street_Fighter_Alpha_3_flyer.png

-Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike: Fight For The Future: Colons

21-1.png

(there's tons of other potential fighters, but for sake of being on topic and in regards to popularity, we'll stick with those two for now)

How?

sfa3-06-03-044002.png

GGPO allows online play between anyone from all over the globe with pretty sweet net code.

I can't go into more details than that, but if you want to contact me, I'll be glad to help you out.

Who?

sfa2-05-14-162253.png

You!

That is, if you PM me. Include your GGPO name, and preference between Alpha 2 or 3(we'll go with whichever game is more popular, not both) and 3s. Or you can enter both.

If you need help figuring out GGPO, I can help you out from there. Or add me to AIM/Messenger if you like.

Fine Print

-Seeding, RanBat style
-Double Elimination

The rest depends on how many people show interest.
It's also possible that I'll be recruiting from other boards and/or communities, just to up the roster.

The PA Fighting Game Community!
We have a friends list, you can access it here!
First, enter your data here, using this form!
Then, you can view the list of players here.

If you're on the 360, you can add the metafriend: A PA SSF4

We also made a super cool IRC room! #PAFighting at irc.slashnet.org:6667 You can use this web client if you're SUPER UNCOOL. So people know, we are naming ourselves LFG_YourName in irc if you're looking for a lobby, and LFM_YourName if you're looking for more people! Simply use /nick to change your name in chat. You should use a non web client because sometimes the web client breaks while the server is still up for some unknown reason. If you need help configuring IRC, Blackbeard made this super cool guide:
How to get mIRC working

Step 1: Go to http://www.mirc.com/ and click Download mIRC and install it. Just do all the basic stuff and let it do its thing. It's pretty fast.

Step 2: Go file > select server. Under connect, click on servers. Then click the Add button that appears on the right. Under description, put whatever you want. Under IRC server, put irc.slashnet.org, ports put 6667, and for group put #PAFighting. Password leave blank. Hit ok when done.

Step 3: Click connect again on the left menu, and fill out the nickname box and other info (I had to also do full name and email before it stopped giving me shit. I also unchecked invisible mode in case it did what it sounded like). Click the connect button under those info boxes, and wait a sec. A box should pop up asking what channel to join. Enter #PAFighting and click join. That should do it. If you get an error at this step, you may have to reopen the server select menu, click on firewall, and add port 6667. I had to, but your mileage may vary.

Know anything I'm missing? Let me know and I'll add it.

Thanks to MNC Dover, OP originator.

ChaosHat on

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love my goddamn TE.

I don't see a lot of Chun Li players, so I play her now. I love EX Legs -> Kikosho.
    Hosenka keeps getting me killed.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Continued from prev thread.
    Barrabas wrote: »
    chick - clothes = want.

Seems simple enough. :P
    I don't really get why people like her so much either. I was never a fan of that character

Same goes for R. Mika too I guess.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder why Arturo is trying to use Seth in these tourneys. He didn't seem all that fantastic with him when we played (I've seen better Seths online, in other words).

I keep thinking about trying to go to one of these things, but my hands and controllers and setting them up .... :(.

Gah.

(really this is a throwaway post so I can be lazy and look for the bullet marking this thread instead of reading).

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I wonder why Arturo is trying to use Seth in these tourneys. He didn't seem all that fantastic with him when we played (I've seen better Seths online, in other words).

I keep thinking about trying to go to one of these things, but my hands and controllers and setting them up .... :(.

Gah.

(really this is a throwaway post so I can be lazy and look for the bullet marking this thread instead of reading).

just do it man. you can be the next wolf krone. get that convertor or dual mod that sucker.

for the pride of PA!

edit: maybe the dictator matchup is heavily anti-seth? I think arturo's sim looks better anyway.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I believe the Elena assumption comes mostly from the Africa stage being in.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hope if poison does make it in, she has a bulge like all the male characters do. Maybe even as prominant as Zangiefs.

SkutSkut on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And I hope you're never allowed to do character design. D:

Even given Poison's "special nature" we don't really need that.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember an interview right after the SF3 characters were announced were the interviewer asked how close Elena had been to become included, and that Ono stated that had they added another one she would have been the one.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
    edited May 2010
    bwanie wrote: »

just do it man. you can be the next wolf krone. get that convertor or dual mod that sucker.

for the pride of PA!

edit: maybe the dictator matchup is heavily anti-seth? I think arturo's sim looks better anyway.

I don't know. The first few times, back in vanilla, that I fought a Seth I got demolished just trying to understand the match up.

I've gotten a lot better, but it doesn't feel like it's slanted in my favor. Arturo's Seth has been the only one I ever killed with an Ultra in both rounds (the second off the jumping mp combo at that lol).

He just was easier to hit then others.

You are correct, though. His Dhalsim was good and I thought his best guy.

I'll give him props, though, he seems to go at everybody online and not care about his stats. I'm starting to see more and more people avoid you in ranking if they think they have a chance to lose (Jackness25 in Canada is the current big offender....which is annoying as he's good and it's a fun fight).

Bizazedo on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

He'll bust out Seth when he feels the sim matchup is much worse. I also think it's silly to judge someone's offline play with his online play, but whatever.

aBlank on
    edited May 2010
    aBlank wrote: »

He'll bust out Seth when he feels the sim matchup is much worse. I also think it's silly to judge someone's offline play with his online play, but whatever.

Mainly because his tactics sucked with Seth while being excellent with 'Sim. I wasn't knocking his execution.

I've never been able to jumping 2x mp a Seth before.

It's not like I'm saying he was missing links and thus sucked :).

Bizazedo on
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    aBlank wrote: »

Mainly because his tactics sucked with Seth while being excellent with 'Sim. I wasn't knocking his execution.

I've never been able to jumping 2x mp a Seth before.

It's not like I'm saying he was missing links and thus sucked :).

It did smell off. Even if he got in and actually created an opening, he didn't always seem to make the best of them. His follow ups weren't as spectacular as normal either.

Sometimes folks just have off days. Maybe that was the case.

Kinderparty on
    edited May 2010
    i thought that was a target combo

edit: dic's jump mp x2

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For for reason I was expecting inthul to be a twelve year old skinny asian kid.

Imagine my surprise.

chamberlain on
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of Seth as a tourney character, separate from who uses him, I think he's a lot like Akira from Virtua Fighter.

On paper he seems unstoppable due to his speed, range, combos....but in reality he can still lose (mainly due to his HP deficiency).

Akira was a better example of this due to the fact that he had a wide range of counters, probably, so I might not be making sense.

Bizazedo on
    edited May 2010
    so why did everybody stop playing akuma?

i never run in to any good akuma's anymore

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In all fairness good Akumas were pretty rare in the first place. But if that means that there are less "lol jump back air fireball, fireball, demon warp" Akumas then my Makoto will be rather happy.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    THere are plenty of terrible akuma's to take his place.

Also 95% of those Akuma's are playing Ibuki.

Transporter on
    edited May 2010
    But those are the best akumas!

Dash, fukiage, for massive damage, etc. etc.

Antihippy on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Who won in ranbats last night?

stigweard on
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Preach it brother Makoto! I love fighting jump back air fireball akuma's with Makoto. Thanks for giving me all that extra time to either Fukiage or EX Hayate and push you to the corner.

That matchup is just weird though. I want to think that it should be heavily in Akuma's favor, but it really never seems all that bad. Even playing good Akuma's it's always close, and I never feel like I'm getting steamrolled. I guess Makoto's dmg output really makes a difference.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
    edited May 2010
    stigweard wrote: »

KinderParty won the first PA RanBat Double Elim. Bracket.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Preach it brother Makoto! I love fighting jump back air fireball akuma's with Makoto. Thanks for giving me all that extra time to either Fukiage or EX Hayate and push you to the corner.

That matchup is just weird though. I want to think that it should be heavily in Akuma's favor, but it really never seems all that bad. Even playing good Akuma's it's always close, and I never feel like I'm getting steamrolled. I guess Makoto's dmg output really makes a difference.

Well, she doesn't seem to have any outright terrible matchups. :lol: Just alot of kinda bad and even ones.

Antihippy on
    edited May 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

KinderParty won the first PA RanBat Double Elim. Bracket.

Grats Kinder. Have to play you sometime, still, I think.

It's annoying, last nights was the first Ranbat I could've made and the 360 RROD'ng a second time just shoved a gigantic.....

Well, I wasn't happy.

Bizazedo on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Need more people to vote on ranbat start times. Voting form is in big letters in the op.

ChaosHat on
    edited May 2010
    According to a friend who has worse luck then anyone I know with 360s repairs from a private party are the way to go. He has RROD 6 times. He got it fixed at a private place and is 15 months rrod free. Same guy has had 2 yellow light failures on ps3... I think he keeps his systems in a sandbox in a sauna room or something...

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You already have my votes Chaos. I'll be around for most Ranbats Thursday's from now on, whatever time they start.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Double elimination was an exciting format. I'd like to use it more. Maybe a shorter pools period with a double elimination playoffs or something.

I'm thinking about having the points matter by entering you into an end of season tournament with some sort of prize (some sort of custom forum avatar or signature denoting your awesomeness). Maybe the top 8 or 16 point counts (depending on how many people we have) are seeded into a big double elimination bracket.

ChaosHat on
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    According to a friend who has worse luck then anyone I know with 360s repairs from a private party are the way to go. He has RROD 6 times. He got it fixed at a private place and is 15 months rrod free. Same guy has had 2 yellow light failures on ps3... I think he keeps his systems in a sandbox in a sauna room or something...

o_O

Yeah, I think that's more "operator error" than anything.

House of Paincakes on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah Kinder clutched it out. His Gouken just kept me zoned, very hard to break through the wall. Of course this now means I have to play Gouken whenever possible until I know what to do in that matchup in my sleep.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited May 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Yeah Kinder clutched it out. His Gouken just kept me zoned, very hard to break through the wall. Of course this now means I have to play Gouken whenever possible until I know what to do in that matchup in my sleep.

I got wrecked by a Gouken the other night as well. Made me blink and go "Wtf?".

I beat him down in my sleep in vanilla, but now? I dunno what happened.

Bizazedo on
    edited May 2010

I figured he used Gouken. Gouken's zoning game takes out a good chunk of Hawk's offense by keeping him out of the air. On the ground, he can easily keep distance and chip away. It turns into a long, lame match that is heavily in Gouken's favor.

stigweard on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I figured he used Gouken. Gouken's zoning game takes out a good chunk of Hawk's offense by keeping him out of the air. On the ground, he can easily keep distance and chip away. It turns into a long, lame match that is heavily in Gouken's favor.

You. Me. Gouken. Hawk. Practice Matchup. NOW.

Actually how about tomorrow night?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The last few Ryu trials are just damn stupid and useless. If I have a full super bar, why in the name of all that is fuck would I waste it focus canceling into MP three times in a row? If I can land the initial MP, why wouldn't I just lp shoryuken into super hadoken?

Just boggles the mind

joshofalltrades on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Playing against Gouken as Abel always felt dirty in SF4. Is that matchup still heavily in Abel's favor in Super?

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The last few Ryu trials are just damn stupid and useless. If I have a full super bar, why in the name of all that is fuck would I waste it focus canceling into MP three times in a row? If I can land the initial MP, why wouldn't I just lp shoryuken into super hadoken?

Just boggles the mind

Almost all the big trial combos are like that. At best, one combo from those lists is useful and the rest are made intentionally long/hard for people to show off.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited May 2010

I can play for a bit after I get knocked out of ranbat, but not too late - I'm working in another city on Friday and Saturday.

stigweard on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I can play for a bit after I get knocked out of ranbat, but not too late - I'm working in another city on Friday and Saturday.

Metro City? If so, be careful where you park your car. Also, check all of the trash cans, barrels, and phone booths for assorted gems, weapons, and food.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited May 2010
    Ok so grappler players which characters give you fits? I am looking for a second character to start on and figure I should try and cover Ibuki's weak spot which seems like Abel,Gief,Hawk, Rufus. I think generally Sagat and Sim are good vs all of those characters but I'd rather go a different way since I don't care for either of them**. Bonus points if the character is also offensive minded since I need help with turtles for Ibuki as is.

**Chun Li is NOT on the character select screen as far as I am concerned, nor is Bison,Boxer,E. Honda, or Guile.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Chun is probably one of the hardest, she can fight in the air really well and can zone very effectively, and c.lk c.lk exlegs is easy, reliable damage that can shut down plenty of grappler pressure.

Gief is a pretty good anti-grappler-grappler. Abel players still tremble in fear at the sound of his name and clutch their Ultra II tightly at night.

In general I find good jabs or shorts (that can turn into combos) and good crossups are ideal for fighting grapplers. Depends on the grappler.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves