As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm off to go check that out. Thanks, Barrakketh.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Know what I love about Linux? Mirrors. I'm in Indiana, so: Why hello there Indiana University's mirror of {lots of distros}. Hello to you too, Purdue University's mirror of {lots of distros}. And GA Tech's mirrors always seem lightning-fast.

This post brought to you by too much coffee this morning while installing arch in a VM.

I use powerpill as an interface to pacman. It accepts the same arguments as pacman (and has some extras), but uses aria2c for simultaneous and segmented downloading from multiple sources. It also retrieves a list of the most recently updated mirrors and can also rank them by speed (I never need to rank them).

what?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Know what I love about Linux? Mirrors. I'm in Indiana, so: Why hello there Indiana University's mirror of {lots of distros}. Hello to you too, Purdue University's mirror of {lots of distros}. And GA Tech's mirrors always seem lightning-fast.

This post brought to you by too much coffee this morning while installing arch in a VM.

I use powerpill as an interface to pacman. It accepts the same arguments as pacman (and has some extras), but uses aria2c for simultaneous and segmented downloading from multiple sources. It also retrieves a list of the most recently updated mirrors and can also rank them by speed (I never need to rank them).

what?

It uses voodoo to do things like downloading multiple packages at the same time and downloading pieces of a single package from multiple sources to maximize download speed.

It (the underlying program that actually does the downloading) is also smart enough to cancel a download from a slow source that you may be using and use a faster source that you have already downloaded a piece of the file from.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    We've got one national mirror, that's more than enough.

What. In Portugal we have close to a dozen and it's a smaller country!

Impersonator on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think tonight I'll try out moneydance and kmymoney as a quicken alternative.

It's the only app that requires windows for me (and 2010 has issues with wine)

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited May 2010
    "Oh hey, Visti, are you still using that Linux? How is that?"

"It's pretty much exactly like this. All the time."

2010-05-21-005351_1280x800_scrot.png

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder, why hasn't anyone made a version of that matrix screensaver that actually will use all of the character sets you have installed, instead of just latin characters

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    I wonder, why hasn't anyone made a version of that matrix screensaver that actually will use all of the character sets you have installed, instead of just latin characters

Because it's only recently that developers are taking notice of the existence of other languages.

I'm happy to say my crappy throwaway HTTP client supports IDN. :rotate:

MKR on
    edited May 2010
    What the shit is this fuck.

Impersonator on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay, so I'm about to flip out over my attempt to set up a test environment for my websites on my Ubuntu LAMP machine. I had originally set up apache to use /var/www as the DocumentRoot. However, since I'm testing multiple sites, I have them checked out from SVN to /var/www/site1/trunk, /var/www/site2/trunk, etc. As you can imagine, having your site address as home-PC:port/sitename/trunk makes it difficult to formulate paths that work both at home and at the real web host.

So, I next tried to set up virtual hosts. My aim is to have each web site on a different port. I.e. SVN is being served on templewulf-LAMP:51008, while one site is supposed to be served on templewulf-LAMP:51001. Unfortunately, every time I try 51001 it redirects me to 51008. What do I do about this?

apache conf files:
    httpd.conf: empty

apache2.conf: no changes

ports.conf changes:
    Listen 51001
    Listen 51008

NameVirtualHost *:51001
    NameVirtualHost *:51008

sites-available/default:
    <VirtualHost *:51001>
    	ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
    	ServerName templewulf-lamp:51001
    	DocumentRoot /var/www/site1/trunk

<Directory />
    		Options FollowSymLinks
    		AllowOverride None
    		Order deny,allow
    	</Directory>
    	<Directory /var/www/site1/trunk>
    		Options +Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    		AllowOverride All
    		Order allow,deny
    		allow from all
    	</Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
    	<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
    		AllowOverride None
    		Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    		Order allow,deny
    		Allow from all
    	</Directory>

ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
    	# alert, emerg.
    	LogLevel warn

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined

Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    	<Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
    		Options -Indexes
    		AllowOverride None
    		Order deny,allow
    		Deny from all
    		Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
    	</Directory>
    </VirtualHost>

mods-enabled/dav_svn.conf:
    <VirtualHost *:51008>
    	DocumentRoot /var/www
    	ServerName templewulf-lamp:51008
    	<Location /svn>
    		DAV svn
    		SVNParentPath /home/svn
    		SVNListParentPath On
    		AuthType Basic
    		AuthName "Subversion Repository"
    		AuthUserFile /etc/subversion/passwd
    		Require valid-user
    	</Location>
    </VirtualHost>

Any ideas? Any other improvements I can make to my conf files?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Having been intrigued by Linux for awhile, I finally decided to try it out. Posting through my new Slax OS, woohoo! Since I've finally gotten wireless working on this, I'm probably going to sleep. Tomorrow I'll be working at getting Java installed, and moving Slax to a less dinky Flash drive (250 megs, it fit the OS, but now my changes directory has ballooned up to 32 megs just because of Firefox).

Peccavi on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm about to flip out over my attempt to set up a test environment for my websites on my Ubuntu LAMP machine. I had originally set up apache to use /var/www as the DocumentRoot. However, since I'm testing multiple sites, I have them checked out from SVN to /var/www/site1/trunk, /var/www/site2/trunk, etc. As you can imagine, having your site address as home-PC:port/sitename/trunk makes it difficult to formulate paths that work both at home and at the real web host.

So, I next tried to set up virtual hosts. My aim is to have each web site on a different port. I.e. SVN is being served on templewulf-LAMP:51008, while one site is supposed to be served on templewulf-LAMP:51001. Unfortunately, every time I try 51001 it redirects me to 51008. What do I do about this?

apache conf files:
    httpd.conf: empty

apache2.conf: no changes

ports.conf changes:
    Listen 51001
    Listen 51008

NameVirtualHost *:51001
    NameVirtualHost *:51008

sites-available/default:
    <VirtualHost *:51001>
    	ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
    	ServerName templewulf-lamp:51001
    	DocumentRoot /var/www/site1/trunk

<Directory />
    		Options FollowSymLinks
    		AllowOverride None
    		Order deny,allow
    	</Directory>
    	<Directory /var/www/site1/trunk>
    		Options +Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    		AllowOverride All
    		Order allow,deny
    		allow from all
    	</Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
    	<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
    		AllowOverride None
    		Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    		Order allow,deny
    		Allow from all
    	</Directory>

ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
    	# alert, emerg.
    	LogLevel warn

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined

Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    	<Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
    		Options -Indexes
    		AllowOverride None
    		Order deny,allow
    		Deny from all
    		Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
    	</Directory>
    </VirtualHost>

mods-enabled/dav_svn.conf:
    <VirtualHost *:51008>
    	DocumentRoot /var/www
    	ServerName templewulf-lamp:51008
    	<Location /svn>
    		DAV svn
    		SVNParentPath /home/svn
    		SVNListParentPath On
    		AuthType Basic
    		AuthName "Subversion Repository"
    		AuthUserFile /etc/subversion/passwd
    		Require valid-user
    	</Location>
    </VirtualHost>

Any ideas? Any other improvements I can make to my conf files?
    Can you use httpd to check the current virtual hosts?
    Use:
    apachectl restart

to restart the daemon and get it to include the latest config changes then:
    httpd  -tD DUMP_VHOSTS

to get a list of virtual hosts running on your machine.
    If your svn site(s) aren't listed, you might want to check for appropriate include lines in your master configs and make sure the .conf files you are editing are actually being read.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited May 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Can you use httpd to check the current virtual hosts?
    Use:
    apachectl restart

to restart the daemon and get it to include the latest config changes then:
    httpd  -tD DUMP_VHOSTS

to get a list of virtual hosts running on your machine.
    I've been using init.d/apache2 restart for my changes, so I'm pretty sure that's working. I restarted with apache2ctl, but I couldn't find an httpd command with which. Is it a service or something?
    If your svn site(s) aren't listed, you might want to check for appropriate include lines in your master configs and make sure the .conf files you are editing are actually being read.
    The weird thing is that my SVN URL is fine. I have the DocumentRoot as /var/www, and index.php is working there. The Location /svn for host templewulf-lamp:51008 leads to the repository, and that works too.

I added a virtual host for port 51001, and that should lead to e.g. /var/www/site1/trunk, but it gets redirected to templewulf-lamp:51008.

templewulf on
    edited May 2010
    Uh... httpd is the Apache web server daemon - if you have an accessible site it's there somewhere.

As for the other thing, does your master apache config file have any 'include' statements in it and if so, where do they point?

Mr_Rose on
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, installing Java is being more of a bitch than at first anticipated, and the only advice I can find on the Slax forum is "Download this unverified module I made."

Granted, everybody I see on those forums recommends using unverified modules, but even if they were safe, I'd rather learn how to fish rather than have to hope that everything I want has been converted to .lzm and put up on the Slax site.

Peccavi on
    edited May 2010
    Hm, I don't think I remember anybody using Slax or even Slackware extensively around here. Maybe Ubuntuforums.org or Arch-forums can help you? They're generally quite knowledgable.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    I genuinely dislike how Slax works on the basis of unverified packages. Ugh.

Impersonator on
    edited May 2010
    Uh... httpd is the Apache web server daemon - if you have an accessible site it's there somewhere.
    I know what httpd stands for, but I don't know if it's a program in a path, or a service, or what. Would it be named something else since I'm running apache2?
    As for the other thing, does your master apache config file have any 'include' statements in it and if so, where do they point?
    I've got the usual Includes:
    Include /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/*.conf
    Include /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
    Include /etc/apache2/ports.conf
    Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/
    Include /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/

oh, and also phpmyadmin:
    Include /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf

templewulf on
    edited May 2010
    httpd should just be a program that takes arguments. Details here in the Apache 2 docs on-line.

So if it's not already in your path, you might have to go looking for it. Uh /etc/bin/ maybe?
    Theoretically apachectl should also take exactly the same arguments but I've not had that work for me ever; YMMV however.

The includes look right though, since you're adding the virtual host in a .conf that's in a location covered by them....

Also it occurs to me that you might want to define a DocumentRoot for your second vhost; I think I remember something about failing over to the default parameters if the extras don't define them or something.

Mr_Rose on
    edited May 2010
    httpd should just be a program that takes arguments. Details here in the Apache 2 docs on-line.

So if it's not already in your path, you might have to go looking for it. Uh /etc/bin/ maybe?
    Theoretically apachectl should also take exactly the same arguments but I've not had that work for me ever; YMMV however.

The includes look right though, since you're adding the virtual host in a .conf that's in a location covered by them....

Also it occurs to me that you might want to define a DocumentRoot for your second vhost; I think I remember something about failing over to the default parameters if the extras don't define them or something.

Well hurf-fucking-durf. I just picked the first site to migrate to a new virtual host by alphabetical order. That site happened to be a wordpress site which redirects URLs to those stored in wp_options in mySQL. *facepalm*

Thanks for helping me find my nose on my own face, Mr_Rose! :lol:

edit:
    I tried find-ing and grep-ing all over the file system, and I never did find httpd.

templewulf on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some distros rename the binary to "apache2" or something similar instead of "httpd".

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Man, good thing I didn't really accomplish much on that install. Managed to mess things up real good, forcing me to eventually reformat the mp3 player it's loaded on. But at least I'm getting a feel for linux and the terminal, so I should be able to redo everything much quicker now (and I have a plan of attack for Java now, realized I shouldn't be downloading the RPM version).

Peccavi on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The real question is what is Visti typing into that terminal that isn't "scrotum".

theSquid on
    edited May 2010
    Sorry to disappoint!
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Taking_a_Screenshot#scrot

I feel like this was brought up the last time I posted a shot as well..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OK so Arch and OpenBox are outstanding. Trying to find a way to force a title on an application (i.e. make Chromium always show up in the pager as Chromium instead of the current page's title) and my google-fu is apparently too weak.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OK so Arch and OpenBox are outstanding.

Agreed. I got Arch + OpenBox up and running on a virtual machine this weekend, it only took me 2 tries!

It was pretty educational. Maybe this fall when I'm back in school I'll switch my main machine over. Shouldn't be playing all those games anyways.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010

Agreed. I got Arch + OpenBox up and running on a virtual machine this weekend, it only took me 2 tries!

It was pretty educational. Maybe this fall when I'm back in school I'll switch my main machine over. Shouldn't be playing all those games anyways.

Can you elaborate on what's so outstanding about them? I tried OpenBox, but all it seemed to be was a lighter WM on top of Gnome (on top of Ubuntu).

templewulf on
    edited May 2010
    For me, it is just cleaner and faster than the standard WMs along with having a solid theming engine.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Can you elaborate on what's so outstanding about them? I tried OpenBox, but all it seemed to be was a lighter WM on top of Gnome (on top of Ubuntu).

Openbox really shines when you're not running it on top of Gnome. Login times are instant (although at the expense of everything but a right click menu by default). You can also pair it with a lightweight taskbar and file manager to get something both feasible for long-term use and amazingly snappy.

Frem on
    edited May 2010
    Frem wrote: »

Openbox really shines when you're not running it on top of Gnome. Login times are instant (although at the expense of everything but a right click menu by default). You can also pair it with a lightweight taskbar and file manager to get something both feasible for long-term use and amazingly snappy.

Is there a recommended DE to pair it with?

templewulf on
    edited May 2010
    I usually don't run a DE with it and just install independent programs, but... LXDE, perhaps?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When I set it up I just set it up with OpenBox. Not sure what to add beyond that. Still new at this stuff >.>

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When I set it up I just set it up with OpenBox. Not sure what to add beyond that. Still new at this stuff >.>

This page says almost everything you need to know about Openbox and recommended apps that you can run with it to jazz things up.

I recommend Nitrogen for wallpaper management.

Frem on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ugh. Alright guys, need some advice.

I'm running Crunchbang 10 alpha 1. I'm having some trouble mounting a portable HDD. Usually what happens is I turn it on, and it auto-mounts it. In previous #!s, it would auto-detect it and add it to the "favorites" side pane in Pcmanfm and I'd have to click it, but it was still pretty painless.

Recently, it's taken to popping up a dialogue telling me I don't have the privs to mount it. I've found that if I just turn it off and on often enough, it'll work its problem out by itself and just work, but it's annoying that it's happening at all. How can I force this bitch to mount?

I can see the device using lsusb, but I can't mount it because it's "not a block device".

Unfortunately I can't be much more specific because it's working properly at the moment, but... any general tips on this sorta thing?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    Ugh. Alright guys, need some advice.

I'm running Crunchbang 10 alpha 1. I'm having some trouble mounting a portable HDD. Usually what happens is I turn it on, and it auto-mounts it. In previous #!s, it would auto-detect it and add it to the "favorites" side pane in Pcmanfm and I'd have to click it, but it was still pretty painless.

Recently, it's taken to popping up a dialogue telling me I don't have the privs to mount it. I've found that if I just turn it off and on often enough, it'll work its problem out by itself and just work, but it's annoying that it's happening at all. How can I force this bitch to mount?

I can see the device using lsusb, but I can't mount it because it's "not a block device".

Unfortunately I can't be much more specific because it's working properly at the moment, but... any general tips on this sorta thing?

Are they using the new GIO pcmanfm? I know the latest Thunar uses a different mechanism then the Xfce Desktop to mount drives, so you get that problem when trying to unmount drives in Thunar that were mounted on the Desktop (automounting also breaks).

darkphoenix22 on
  • donkyhotaydonkyhotay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OK so Arch and OpenBox are outstanding. Trying to find a way to force a title on an application (i.e. make Chromium always show up in the pager as Chromium instead of the current page's title) and my google-fu is apparently too weak.

Never used openbox but Arch is the best distro I know of for learning. I used it for a few months before switching back to ubuntu (I'm lazy and arch is too much work) but I feel much more confident about manually modifying my system because of it.

donkyhotay on
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to start a Linux From Scratch build pretty soon. Anything I should know?

darkphoenix22 on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to start a Linux From Scratch build pretty soon. Anything I should know?
    The asprin's in the bathroom cabinet, and the bourbon's on the top shelf of the pantry. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited May 2010
    Good to know. It'll be one hell of month, at the very least.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Dead!Dead! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just wanted to say thanks to the people who suggested fixes for my video freezing problem. I haven't found the source yet, but I appreciate the suggestions.

Dead! on