As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

End of Semester Dump Page 2 [NSFW]

Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
So, hey, I finally got off my ass and have been studying at the Academy of Art since February, majoring in illustration. Hasn't even been two months, but I think I'm seeing improvement, so I thought I'd share.

Gestures! I've actually got a ton of these, but I only really started to get the hang of it, like, this past Monday, so not a whole lot to show in this area. These were 3 or 5 minutes; I can't remember.

gesture1.jpg

gesture2.jpg

gesture3.jpg

Long poses, ranging between 40 minutes and an hour and a half. I'm really slow here, probably because I get lost in the details really early. It also doesn't help that my figure drawing classes are only two and a half hours.

figure1.jpg

figure2.jpg

figure4.jpg

figure3.jpg

figure5.jpg

And a couple of head studies. First was with charcoal pencil, second with vine charcoal mostly, both on smooth newsprint. Guess which medium I like better.

headstudy1.jpg

headstudy2.jpg

Analysis of Form stuff. Vine charcoal on rough charcoal paper.

sphere.jpg

stilllife.jpg

torso.jpg

Drapery for AoF. First was in-class, second was at home for the midterm. I got a C- for obvious reasons. Unfinished; sloppy. I need to stop being lazy. Teacher's giving me a chance to fix it up over the break, and he said I could potentially bring it up to a B, but I think I'll just start again from scratch.

draperyclass.jpg

draperymt.jpg

There was something important here. It's gone now.
Nineteen Hundred on

• KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dont know if its the picture blowing out the contrast. But on the analasys if form with the cup you are exageratting the reflected light on the cylinder and the cup to much. Needs to be knocked back a bit.

The drapery studies look good.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, that one's very unfinished. Of the two or so hours I spent just rendering, most of it went into the sphere and the orange. Unfortunately, exaggerating seems to get you far in this class, but I'll try to tone down that mindset when working on my own stuff.

EDIT: On the draperies, they look okay in the photos, but in person there are obvious flaws. I don't know what it is with the lighting in my room, but my works tend to look a 1000 times better than they really are.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    drapery looks good and I like the third figure drawing down.

Food on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The cloths look awesome, man!

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who are your teachers for these classes?

The first two figs are looking pretty good, as well as the last cloth study. You definitely need to put a little more love into your torso and your still life.

Don't be so down on the school. There are a lot of really amazing and inspiring teachers that you would do well to listen to and learn from. Art school isn't this magic, "well make you good at art" place. You have to take what you learn in class and apply it on your own time. This school is really really good for illustration and if you apply yourself and have a positive attitude you can come away with a lot.

DeeLock on
    edited March 2010
    I've got David Lee for AoF and Henry Yan for Figure Drawing. Both fantastic artists, but David's value as an actual teacher is debatable. I'm also taking Figure Modeling, but I forgot to take pictures before I tore down my pieces. There's also a Photoshop class where nothing important happens.

Did you go to AAU, DeeLock?

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    You and your damned Henry Yan, I can totally see his influence. One of these Fridays I'll make it to a fucking workshop with you. But, these are looking great, no need to feel self conscious. I think they're developing nicely.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Henry Yan for Figure Drawing

Tell him that some hat-wearing dude from the internet thinks his book is friggin' awesome for me.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited March 2010
    Mars: That monkey will never let it happen.

Bacon: I really need to get around to buying that book....

Nineteen Hundred on
    edited March 2010
    It's my first semester.

You're in really great hands with Henry Yan, dude's a master, and I think David Lee is a really good as well, you do have to ask him for help because he probably won't actively help you out unless your drawing has some major issues.

I'm actually in his class right now, Monday and Wednesday in the morning.

Who's your figure modeling teacher? It would be trippy if we were in the same class.

DeeLock on
    edited March 2010
    Wait... Morning class on Monday and Wednesday...? WHAT THE FUCK WE ARE IN THE SAME FUCKING CLASS.

Shit. I'm the Indian guy. Look for me after the break.

Oh, and my Figure Modeling teacher is Mark Zwawi... Zhawin......

My teacher is Mark.

EDIT: Just remembered there's another Indian guy in that class. I'm the skinny one named Chris.

Nineteen Hundred on
    edited March 2010
    What...the...fuck...

My name's Dylan, I'm the tall white dude with glasses.

edit: Oh man I know you! You were wearing a MS Paint Adventures t-shirt one day and a Penny Arcade one the next! I was totally going to talk to you but then I didn't :P

DeeLock on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I smell a love connection!

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2010
    DeeLock wrote: »
    What...the...fuck...

My name's Dylan, I'm the tall white dude with glasses.

edit: Oh man I know you! You were wearing a MS Paint Adventures t-shirt one day and a Penny Arcade one the next! I was totally going to talk to you but then I didn't :P

Yeah, I've got one of those "Fuck off I don't want to talk to you" faces. I'll try to turn it off when I see you.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was talking to Glen Orbik recently and I think he said he was going to do a workshop or something at the Academy of Art in the near future. You guys should check it out.

rts on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, these are awesome. Your still life and the female torso drawing are both amazing.

Your 5 minute studies seem to show a lot more form than your longer studies. Though not as detailed in rendering, they are more believable. Perhaps its the loose aproach. Just an observation :)
    Keep posting!!!

winter_combat_knight on
    edited March 2010
    cake: Man, he's got some swanky stuff. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

wck: Yeah, I've noticed that too. I think the ultra-slow pace I take with long poses actually messes with my line quality. I'll try moving at a more moderate pace next Monday.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Great studies man.

earthwormadam on
    edited April 2010
    Finally got a sculpture on camera. Gonna get a mold made of this one on Saturday so I can apply a patina and possibly put it in the Spring Show.

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

EDIT: Was a little to close when I took the pics, so there's a bit of a fisheye distortion going on there. He has feet and proper proportions, I assure you.

Nineteen Hundred on
    edited May 2010
    WIP of a fantasy head for Figure Modeling. Not quite too late for design suggestions.

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00677.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looks like it has a sort of Victorian Era theme with the tall collar.

Nice work.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Your 5 minute studies seem to show a lot more form than your longer studies. Though not as detailed in rendering, they are more believable. Perhaps its the loose aproach. Just an observation :)
    Keep posting!!!

Ninteen Hundred, I totally agree with WKC here. Overall, your stuff looks good. A lot of your choices are going in favorable directions. Your 3-5 minute sketches (especially the first two) are sympathetic, and they look great. Also, those cloth pieces are nice. Incidentally, the proportions on that shapes study are really off; that piece doesn't belong with the rest of your work.

The longer studies kind of fall apart. They're (like you said) too fixated on details, which happens here at the cost of form/proportions/gesture/overall quality. It doesn't seem like a big problem though, simply because you appear to have a knack for self-improvement. You'll work it out.

p.s. This longer study is pretty good:

6t2ykn.jpg

The facial expression/body language is bizarre, and the figure is plopped-down in an interesting way. The legs could be a little bit less dirty, and then they would support the rest of your shading choices. Oh, and maybe turn those big dark shadows on her left and right into shapes, or define them with some dark lines like I did here in MSpaint.

Paradise on
    edited May 2010
    Thanks, guys!

Paradise: I've completely changed my approach to long poses since I drew that one. I'll have some up in the next week or two, but I think I'm on my way to remedying the issues you brought up.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That girls eyes look totally off, too big and close together and strangely shaped. Love her lips and nose and hair and everything else about her though, not sure about the diamonds on the throat, but really, really love the side of her jaw with the long narrow strips. LOOKIN' GOOD

Kochikens on
    edited May 2010
    Thanks! And yeah, the "diamonds" are actually supposed to be something resembling latticework, but I made them too thick, so they're not reading very well. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to just shave them down. I totally agree with you on the eyes; they're just not working at all. The thing is, I want them to be large to make her look younger and slightly more otherworldly, but the petals for eyelids/eyelashes make them really hard to shape and define. Even one of the instructors was a little stumped as to how to fix it.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You just need more shape to them, IMO. They don't look enough like eyes. Sure, her eyelashes are petals or whateva, but they're still eyes, right? Make an eye, and then make her eyelashes wacky as fuck. Thinking something like this might work??

eyetest.jpg

Just a suggestion

also omfg gecko eyes

gecko_eye.jpeg

edit: seeee, crested geckos and whatnot would be a great example because they sort of have shit goin' on there already, sorta flowery

442150443_4b2eae1af0.jpg

Kochikens on
  • PukioPukio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think essentially you have one of two options: either go for the eye with petals for eyelashes thing, or make her eyes straight up the centers of flowers. I think either would work, but at the moment you're kind of at an awkward in-between. That said, her jawline is extremely lovely and those vertical stripe sections of the collar-esque shape around her neck are really visually interesting.

Pukio on
    edited May 2010
    I think you should just tone down on the pedals around the eyes like in Ko's design.

So have you been draping a wet towel over it to keep it moist? I wish i could take a ceramic class.

As for the diamond like lace, can you convert them into leaves? Like long banana leaves or something?
    ex.
    http://mayang.com/textures/Plants/images/Leaves/long_thin_veined_leaves_031225.JPG
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/122475896_828210ed55.jpg?v=0

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it's officially too late to change the design. Or anything, really; I'm handing it in on Tuesday and won't have time to make any changes. I did manage to fix her eyes, though. Instead of the bulbous ones I had before, I made the pupils concave and that seemed to help a lot. Didn't shave down the lattice work. Everyone who happened to see it seemed to really like it the way it is. I guess it looks a lot better in person?

And yeah, SOP is to put something wet on there to keep it moist when you're not working on it. I was using a t-shirt, hence the bluish smudges around her shoulders (which she doesn't have anymore. Didn't feel like designing anything past her neck, so I just cut 'em off).

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Nineteen Hundred on
    edited May 2010
    Well, if you ever need help designing a flower girl you know where to look lol.

Shiekahn_boy on
    edited May 2010
    All done, only for the teacher to look at it for two seconds, say "pretty good," then move on. I know it's the last day and you want to get out of there, but come on!

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looking at the obvious Bart Simpson in the background in comparison to yours makes it all the better.
    Yours isn't pretty good it's pretty rad.

Arden Canelo on
    edited May 2010
    Well, that's it for my first semester. Here's the best I have from the last half. I'm not sure if I just didn't do that many long poses, or if I just lost a lot of them somehow. Ah, whatever. Gestures:

gesture3-1.jpg

gesture4.jpg

gesture5.jpg

gesture6.jpg

gesture7.jpg

gesture8.jpg

gesture9.jpg

A few long poses:

longpose_1.jpg

longpose_2.jpg

gesture1-1.jpg

gesture2-1.jpg

Figure drawing final. A copy of a master work:

mastercopy.jpg

Analysis of Form final. Portrait of Phillip Glass from a photo by Chuck Close:

portrait.jpg

Flash washed out some of the detail by his left eye, but I don't feel like doing it over.

Nineteen Hundred on
    edited May 2010
    can you post the master work you studied for that figure? Im seeing a lot of things that Im kindve reading as a mistake but could be you not quite nailing his stylization."

one overall issue that can be solved easily with a blending stump. or if you are anal you can layer more tone on with a pencil. The issue being he looks like hes made out of metal- mainly because youve got your highlight value showing up on forms all over the place. I cant tell where the lights coming from specifically but its somewhere up top. His abdomen and chest need to be knocked back. along with the shoulder hes casting a shadow onto.

stump is easiest method. then you can restablish your form line hatching over the new greytone the stump gave you. or brush on powdered graphite.

hed also have a hell of a time finding shoes.. looks like he wears a size 15 on his right and a size 8 on the left.

you also need to practice cleaner drawing habits. They have gloves that will keep you from smearing shit all over the place or you can just get a peice of tracing paper to rest your hand on. Its a big thing.. and its an easy fix. It immediately screams amateur when you cant even keep your hand from rubbing shit everywhere.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I'm perfectly willing to admit that I had no idea what I was doing with that one. Also, I got started late and had a lot of other work to do so I couldn't try more than one approach to see what worked and what didn't and you know what I'm just lazy.

mastercopysource.jpg

And bonus: The original sketch for the Flower Girl up there:

flowergirlsketch.jpg

EDIT: Also, I never liked blending stumps. They always seem to do a whole lot of nothing, even with really soft charcoal. My fingers are far more effective. I don't see how, but maybe I'm just not using them right?

Nineteen Hundred on
    edited May 2010
    I dirty my blending stumps with powdered graphite if they are new, so even if Im touching a pure white surface they leave behind tone. It also depends if you are using really smooth paper I have found them to be terrible. They just smear shit around. But I prefer a bit more toothy paper (Bristol Vellum vs Bristol Smooth). Im not sure if its your drawing on a rough surface or a really toothy paper but you have a lot of pure white gaps showing up in your shadow that a blending stump would knock back. Disciplining your stroke so that you dont leave such big gaps to begin with is even better. Its just a patience and muscle memory thing.

I use differnt stumps for graphite and charcoal so I dont get one drawing medium on the other drawing etc.. Again I think its just a paper thing. Depending on what type of charcoal you are using a soft round brush is a better blending tool.

Do you have intentions of taking that master copy further? Correct mistakes? I can pick some things apart if you want..

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2010
    Nah, I'm done with that thing, thanks. I know I should really be doing more traditional stuff like this, though, so maybe I'll try again with a difference piece soon. Right now, though, I want to work on more fun things for a while, just to see how well I can apply what I've learned over the past three months.

Nineteen Hundred on
    edited May 2010
    Painting and sculpting are two of my faves. I like to work with my hands and experiment with color.

Drawing on the other hand has started to become dull, but at least i can get some of my ideas on paper so it's not something a despise.

Shiekahn_boy on
  • CR!CR! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Very impressive stuff. Never quite got the hand of charcoal so I has great respect that can use it well and this more that qualifies.

Your clay figures are really good as well.

CR! on
    edited June 2010
    Whoa, zombie thread. Thanks, CR!(!). Still a long way to go, though.

Nineteen Hundred on