As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Project Natal - Peter Molyneux wants you to touch his child

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zephos wrote: »
    the ridiculous thing about that image is that welll.... aside from the buggy showing (which performed fairly admirably up to that point), last time I checked the Wii didn't do facial recognition and full body tracking...

I think the idea is that it's better to not have it at all if it can't be done competently.

But you're right, at least it's a real attempt at something different, rather than offering almost no difference over the Wii's capabilities like Sony's Move.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mean that was the first public showing, of very early hardware. Plus it wouldn't be a E3 conference without us internet nerds picking apart every little mishap.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's gonna be a lot of returns once the majority of the Xbox owners' memberships figures out that they don't have the required 4 meters in their basement for the thing to have accurate depth perception.

BlackDove on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    There's gonna be a lot of returns once the majority of the Xbox owners' memberships figures out that they don't have the required 4 meters in their basement for the thing to have accurate depth perception.
    Same with my trailer parked out back, it has no room. O_O At least I have a five acre yard to myself. WAIT! Solution = play outside. D:

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, uh, does anyone really care what color the camera comes in?

Shady3011 on
    edited May 2010
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, we've already had a good laugh at it in the industry thread.

That price is just all kinds of stupid.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    You'd be better off spending 150$ on Reach Legendary at that point. At least you'd get a flaming helmet out of it.

FyreWulff on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll probably buy it. :\

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    edited May 2010
    I'll probably buy it. :\

That's why they priced the $30 item at $150.

BlackDove on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't see the joke. It will probably sell really well during the holiday period.

Turkey on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Should have priced it at thirty pounds per piece, and split it into four parts.

Leitner on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Natal is really just Voltron in disguise.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    I don't see the joke. It will probably sell really well during the holiday period.

Well, the skepticism comes from the fact that add-ons don't really have a good track record of taking off in the first place. That and MS hasn't really shown off anything that compelling software wise. Add in a price not too different than what a casual consumer might pay for a console and it's hard to see where MS thinks this is going.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, other than the Steel Battalion controller we've never had a peripheral priced this high.

And maybe seven people bought the Steel Battalion controller.

cloudeagle on
    edited May 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, other than the Steel Battalion controller we've never had a peripheral priced this high.

Wii Fit?

Leitner on
    edited May 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

Wii Fit?

Wii Fit was nothing, it was less expensive than many of the recent band bundles.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited May 2010
    Wii Fit was nothing, it was less expensive than many of the recent band bundles.

As I recall it, it was £89 at launch? Which is not much shy of what this would be unless they do the $ = £ thing, which of course they may well do.

Leitner on
    edited May 2010
    Wii Fit = $89.95 at launch

Rock Band = $159.99 at launch

UncleSporky on
    edited May 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

As I recall it, it was £89 at launch? Which is not much shy of what this would be unless they do the $ = £ thing, which of course they may well do.

Yeah, but even WiiFit didn't really take off as a platform the way that MS wants Natal to. And the overlap between people that might want a Wii and might want WiiFit has to be a lot higher than the overlap between the likely demographic for Natal and for the 360 itself.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Wii Fit = $89.95 at launch

Rock Band = $159.99 at launch

Please do not taunt PAL people with US RB prices. It's not nice.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, but even WiiFit didn't really take off as a platform the way that MS wants Natal to.
    Didn't it, though? I thought it outsold the PS3 install base. Microsoft would be thrilled if they could do that.

UncleSporky on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, but even WiiFit didn't really take off as a platform the way that MS wants Natal to.
    Didn't it, though? I thought it outsold the PS3 install base. Microsoft would be thrilled if they could do that.

They would. Right until 3rd parties gave it no real support.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010

There was that one Rabbids game where you could ski with your butt.

cloudeagle on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

There was that one Rabbids game where you could ski with your butt.

Truly a paragon of game development. :D

Nintendo has been fairly passive about 3rd parties, in a "Eh, if they develop for us great.. maybe toss out some incentives, but meh.) Microsoft can and has thrown money around during these kinds of things, so that may help.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited May 2010
    Not if they overprice themselves.

And not that this rumored price is a sure thing, either.

I'm just saying it would be pretty stupid not to have learned anything from 599 US dollars.

UncleSporky on
    edited May 2010
    Not if they overprice themselves.

And not that this rumored price is a sure thing, either.

I'm just saying it would be pretty stupid not to have learned anything from 599 US dollars.

I'm not sure there's an equivalency there. One is a console which has contemporiaries to compare it to. The other is a single unit motion control addon. I don't see a direct correlation there. Two different items at two very different price points.

Basically, the PS3 at $600 being a bad idea doesn't automatically make Natal at $150 a bad idea.

Undead Scottsman on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The other is a single unit motion control addon. I don't see a direct correlation there.
    REALLY?

Couscous on
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    The other is a single unit motion control addon. I don't see a direct correlation there.
    REALLY?

YES REALLY!!!!!!1111

Seriously, there's a world of difference in paying $600 for console, of which you have other consoles to compare it to: and paying $150 for a VINBARGLDOOG that doesn't have any other VINBARGLEDOOG's to really compare it to. MAYBE the Camera+Move starter kit, but even then that's only one player and who know how much it'll be.

It's unknown territory, IMO, and pointing out a situation where where we could quantify the silliness doesn't mean we can currently quantify this one.

Is $150 too much? Probably, but we don't have anything to compare it to and go "Yes, this is definitely silly."

EDIT: What I mean is saying "Piece A of consumer electronics with that purpose H, sold for X price doing badly isn't a good predictor for whether Piece B of consumer electronics with purpose Q, sold for Y price will do badly or not."

Undead Scottsman on
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    REALLY?

YES REALLY!!!!!!1111

Seriously, there's a world of difference in paying $600 for console, of which you have other consoles to compare it to: and paying $150 for a VINBARGLDOOG that doesn't have any other VINBARGLEDOOG's to really compare it to. MAYBE the Camera+Move starter kit, but even then that's only one player and who know how much it'll be.

So Rock Band/Guitar Hero instruments, Dance Dance Revolution pads, DJ controllers, the Wii Zapper, the original Zapper, every light gun, the Wii balance board, massive fighting game controllers, the Steel Battalion controller, the Motion Plus, the revised oXbox controller, the original Dual Shock that came out midway through the PSOne's life, the Power Glove, the NES Max, the NES Advantage, the EyeToy, etc. etc. don't count for some reason?

cloudeagle on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The niche is the same one as two other certain controllers...

Couscous on
    edited May 2010
    Hell, I'd argue the niche is "controllers that don't come standard with the console."

Honestly, while Natal does in fact give you a new way of controlling a game, it is, technically, a controller. And that's how the public will view it.

Of the list I gave above, only one (outside of a multi-controller bundle) cost as much as the rumored price of the Natal.

cloudeagle on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, while Natal does in fact give you a new way of controlling a game, it is, technically, a controller. And that's how the public will view it.

I think this is incorrect. Surely we might see it that way. But the public? The same public that shells out MAD $$ for things like 50 CENT: Bulletproof? I think they might see it as far, far more than "just a controller."

EDIT: MAD $$ of course being relative to how the game should have done. In my horribly biased opinion.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I think this is incorrect. Surely we might see it that way. But the public? The same public that shells out MAD $$ for things like 50 CENT: Bulletproof? I think they might see it as far, far more than "just a controller."

EDIT: MAD $$ of course being relative to how the game should have done. In my horribly biased opinion.
    How the general public reacts to Natal is dependent almost entirely upon how it's marketed.

Considering Microsoft's history in trying to appeal to people that don't (A) play multiplayer shooters or (B) play Madden, I'm going to wager that Natal's going to be received poorly.

Monger on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Regardless of how it's marketed, if Natal launches at $150 it's going to be a bloodbath. Even with a pack-in, launching at $150 would be the equivalent of Harmonix going straight to Rock Band without the benefit of a slow build up from Guitar Hero onwards.

It's going to be alien and intimidating and worst of all, expensive.

a puddle on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The general public is probably going to compare it to the PS3 Eye by itself, since that's the most direct comparison (both are currently available console cameras with directional mics). Even with a pack in game, it's still $110 more expensive.

-Loki- on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And the PS3 eye has that cute pet game.

This thing is cool, but it's fucked right off the get go. People don't want to stand around and play games, they want to sit on their ass and enjoy entertainment. The technology for this however, really needs to be pushed for the future of awesome. I hope it does at least that.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So the rumor goin' round is that the official name for this is now "Wave".

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    edited May 2010
    Which actually isn't a bad name.

cloudeagle on
    edited May 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »
    So the rumor goin' round is that the official name for this is now "Wave".

The new name was going to be shit no matter what it was.

Well, it could have been something good I suppose.

BlackDove on