As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Strikes [Chat]

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    with regards to the food topic, the offshoot I find interesting is the inherent conflict between vegetarian / vegan and the "buy local" movement. Mostly since it is often the same person advocating both, and how they rationalize the conflict (if they even think it through) to themselves.

Fact is, there are damn few biomes on earth (I can't think of any) that can locally support a vegan diet year round.
    California.

Hmm... I suppose with enough technology, greenhouses and foreign plant species you might be able to pull it off there.

The tricky part is 'year round'. Most vegans in the US would be screwed if it weren't for globalization and the ability to import produce from the southern hemisphere in the winter.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    my grandfathers never told war stories

one got a medal in the pacific war but I never heard any of it firsthand

I'm not even sure what my other grandfather did, besides a vague sense he was in Europe during the occupation

Elendil on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    podly what is this robot music

I think I like it for some reason

something I've been working on for the past couple of days

it's part of my musical project

am...am I supposed to like it

I hope so! it's mostly noise and digital artifacts, but I think it still sounds somewhat compelling.

Also, if you blast it, it's fucking powerful.

@Kakos: My grandpa would probably say of wolfenstein "that's a crock of shit! I took a lot more bullets than that. He must be gay. Sounds like a nazi to me"

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

I'm not even sure what my other grandfather did, besides a vague sense he was in Europe during the occupation
    Falling off guard towers, no doubt.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

He was there for the entire war because his colonel kept raising the missions he needed to go home.

Nerdgasmic on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One grandfather joined pretty early during the war to avoid getting conscripted, and spent it in lancasters. Other was merchant Navy until his ship went down, and then became one of the first people in the world to get cured of TB.

Now my grandmothers side, we don't dig too deep.

(Lufftwafe, Lufftwafe, Lufftwafe)

Leitner on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

yeah, that's one of my uncles.

word is that he might have well over 100 casualties from the pacific front, but he never mentioned a word of it, other than letting my dad and his brothers play with his guns/grenades

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I don't know a whole lot of details about my family members' military service.

I'm pretty sure my grandfather fought in the Korean War.

Nocturne on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I hope so! it's mostly noise and digital artifacts, but I think it still sounds somewhat compelling.

@Kakos: My grandpa would probably say of wolfenstein "that's a crock of shit! I took a lot more bullets than that. He must be gay. Sounds like a nazi to me"

i am going to weave such a thick web of bullshit when i am a grandfather it will be so great

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My grampa on my mom's side flew in the NZ Royal air force, which I was pretty cool.

I have this amazing picture of him when he was like 19 standing in front of an old ass biplane trainer. Dude looks like the quintessential fly boy in it. I kind of wish I could have a beer with him back then or something. I only knew him when he was pretty damn old, and pretty damn irritable.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    INFORMATION THEORY'S LAME, TURING

YOU'RE LAME!!

Shockingly having a lazy eye does not always mean the person is blind.

Passerbye on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Man, I'm sorry, Arch, I didn't realize that that was a serious question. I was just fucking around.
    Who are you and what have you done with Thanatos.
    That wasn't an apology for mocking his illness; it was an apology for making the most obvious possible fucking joke that he's heard a million times before.

I wouldn't feel bad about mocking his illness.

Thanatos on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    all the german i know i learned from return to castle wolfenstein multiplayer
    sometimes when i'm playing TF2, i yell out "schutzstaffel!" randomly

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thankfully my dad didn't get drafted for the Vietnam war. Having flat feet saved him.

Passerbye on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    My Granddad got deployed to Berlin after V-E Day and lied about his typing speed to get a post as the captain's secretary in his air-conditioned trailer. He spent the occupation wheeling and dealing with the goodies sent to him in care packages from home to the point where he had racked up enough accumulated dollars and favors that he and the company mechanic borrowed the company jeep and fucked off to Switzerland for three weeks

Anyone who knows my family knows how true to form this is

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

YOU'RE LAME!!

ow

Organichu on
    edited May 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

YOU'RE LAME!!

ow

<3

Passerbye on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

That's good. I basically live in constant fear of listening to experimental music only to find out that I'm doing the music equivalent of drinking wine at a tasting hall.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    so on glee the girls perform one number and the guys perform another, and the gay guy's on the girl's side

it just feels so goddamned hamfisted

Organichu on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The way my grandfather tells it, he was at both iwo jima and omaha beach, and if you let him go on he'll tell you he personally killed hitler.

My grandfather made similar claims, they would also be joined by a quick summation of whatever WW2 film he had seen recently.

Watching him tell my wide-eyed and gullible cousins how he took a break after taking omaha beach to go build the bridge over the river Kwai was comedy gold.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My grandfather on my mom's side was a marine in the Pacific. A machine gunner none the less. He told me more war stories than he told anyone else in the family it seems. He said he was preparing me for my generations war. I loved that man he was awesome. He also got called up for Korea where he was a non-com. He fucking hated that war. From what we hear that war really screwed with his mind. He got caught behind enemy lines twice, was mia at least once and at one point the military told my grandmother they didn't know if they should mark him as kia or mia since the Chinese basically cut off his position. He was at most of the major engagements. Including Iwo Jima(second wave) and a few others. He came in at Guam if I remember right.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Kakos, Galahad, what are your last names if you don't mind?

If I tell you Kakos might come for me!!! D:

York, now, would be Cacciari if I used my father's name, would have been Jellinek if WW2 hadn't happened.

Galahad on
    edited May 2010
    Ffffffff, just as I'm leaving for the meeting, it starts raining. :x

Be good to each other, [chat].

Passerbye on
  • Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    so on glee the girls perform one number and the guys perform another, and the gay guy's on the girl's side

I saw a banner ad for this 'Glee' program and I couldn't figure out what the fuck it was. I actually went to the website but it didn't give me any further insights! I couldn't even tell if it was reality TV or not. :x

Best America on
    right you got it
    edited May 2010

I saw a banner ad for this 'Glee' program and I couldn't figure out what the fuck it was. I actually went to the website but it didn't give me any further insights! I couldn't even tell if it was reality TV or not. :x

I think it is a sitcom with a lot of bad singing

Elendil on
    edited May 2010

You live in a hole man? Glee is a musical high school drama series. It is highly entertaining if you like musicals. Or are in love with a character like Chu. A lot of people here don't care for it but there are few who really like it as well.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's a lighthearted teen drama with grossly overproduced pop covers integrated into the show as musical numbers.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

You live in a hole man? Glee is a musical high school drama series. It is highly entertaining if you like musicals. Or are in love with a character like Chu. A lot of people here don't care for it but there are few who really like it as well.

What if I like musicals but hate songs by popular bands crammed into stories?

Couscous on
    edited May 2010
    overproduced

what do you mean by "overproduced?"

I'm not a glee fan, just wondering how you use the term.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

What if I like musicals but hate songs by popular bands crammed into stories?

Then you should watch it just for the hotness that is Quinn.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Kakos, Galahad, what are your last names if you don't mind?

Didn't see this until know. Eret is my last name.

Premier kakos on
    edited May 2010

You live in a hole man?
    Glee is a musical high school drama series. It is highly entertaining if you like musicals. Or are in love with a character like Chu. A lot of people here don't care for it but there are few who really like it as well.
    I've never used my television to do anything other than play PS2 or Wii, and I've owned it for three years!

Also, I like musicals. Also I like teen drama. I think. It's been a while since I was a teen, I'm not sure if teens nowadays are similar to teens back in the day (I'm 22). Maybe I'll stumble onto it one day, if I first stumble onto my TV's remote...

Best America on
    right you got it
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WW II, eh?

My great grandfather was arrested after the war

Yeah.

jakobagger on
    edited May 2010

You live in a hole man?
    Glee is a musical high school drama series. It is highly entertaining if you like musicals. Or are in love with a character like Chu. A lot of people here don't care for it but there are few who really like it as well.
    I've never used my television to do anything other than play PS2 or Wii, and I've owned it for three years!

Also, I like musicals. Also I like teen drama. I think. It's been a while since I was a teen, I'm not sure if teens nowadays are similar to teens back in the day (I'm 22). Maybe I'll stumble onto it one day, if I first stumble onto my TV's remote...

If you have Hulu, use hulu. It is what the cool kids are doing now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    I tend to think of them more as just profoundly white

I don't know how else to explain it

Elendil on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For some reason I find it weird when I imdb an attractive actress and find out they are my age or a little bit younger.

It makes me feel like I should have accomplished more by now.

Nocturne on
    edited May 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    For some reason I find it weird when I imdb an attractive actress and find out they are my age or a little bit younger.

Scriabin wrote his first sonata at 18

sigh

Elendil on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, why would the gay guy be in the girl's group? I don't get it. Are they separating by sexuality now?

Silas Brown on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

It's ok, we hold ugly people to a lower standard
    i'm sorry

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited May 2010

You live in a hole man?

If you have Hulu, use hulu. It is what the cool kids are doing now.
    I can't hula for the life of me

Best America on
    right you got it
This discussion has been closed.