As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Krazy Ken steps down! (SONY Reshuffles)

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    I wrote a blog post ages ago entitled "Dear Ken Kutaragi: Please Shut The Fuck Up."

It doesn't just apply to him. Dick waving pisses me off - whether it's Ken (The "I want people to thing I will work harder for a PS3" is a very Japanese sentiment. Translation: It doesn't fucking fly anywhere else in the world) , J. Allard (you want the man's resignation on your wall? Stow the fucking hubris you tarted up marketing bitch.) or Reggie (kicking ass and taking names, eh? Guess someone in market research told you that there was an image you had to change.). Perhaps I've mellowed with age, but I find the corporate smack talk to be tiring and a little embarrassing for all of us.

A quick note to both the purveyors and the users of these products: You are not your $599 US DOLLARS/Motion Sensing/Live Anywhere/Blast Processing Widget. You don't need to wear the gang colours, drink the kool aid or do the safety dance. Settle the fuck down.

At the end of the day, Kutaragi is leaving the industry with a cloud over his head. The man deserves it for the gaffes he committed last year, but it's a horrible fate for anyone. I can't say I'm sad to see him go, but celebrating that fact seems crass.

That being said, I think they need to take a hard look at Kaz next; unless the man has a solid strategy for this system, they need to turf him and find someone who does. I recommend... let me think on this... me :)

Nice post dude.

:^:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To be serious for a second, this does give me some level of hope that Sony is actually realizing not all is well with the PS3.

Now it just remains to be seen if they're going to do anything about it beyond replacing one blowhard with another.

Furu on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How? Ideally they could buy off MS sell it off and just have Nintendo vs Sony vs a future Japanese company. But thats my dream.
    ...you think Sony can buy Microsoft.

Sony.

Buying Microsoft.

In other news, Mom's Book Shop just bought out Barnes & Noble

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    People keep saying that MS has more money than Sony but on Wikipedia

Sony
    Revenue $63.980 billion USD (2006)[2]
    Operating income $14.578 billion USD (2006)[2]
    Net income $1.042 billion USD (2006)[2]
    Employees 158,500 (March 31, 2006)[1]

Microsoft
    US$44.2 billion (2006)[2]
    Operating income US$16.4 billion (2006)[2]
    (36.3% operating margin)[3]
    Net income US$12.6 billion (2006)[2]
    (31.6% net margin)[3]

I know that MS has a lot more free cash flow, but they're the similar sizes

DesertBox on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

Sony

Microsoft
    (31.6% net margin)[3]

Um.... those figures say that Microsoft has more money than Sony. MS' yearly profit is about 12 times greater than Sony's.

This says nothing about video games, though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How? Ideally they could buy off MS sell it off and just have Nintendo vs Sony vs a future Japanese company. But thats my dream.

Sony.

Buying Microsoft.

It's Katchem_Aids talking about something non-Japanese. Logic has no place here, only madness.
    Madness? This. Is. Sparta! (sorry, I watched it recently and I bloody loved it)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007

Sony
    Microsoft
    (31.6% net margin)[3]
    Right, but the fact of the matter is that Sony doesn't have a War Chest, let alone one witht he capacity to buy Microsoft... where Microsoft could effectively destroy themselves financially by plundering their war chest and buy Sony's gaming division.

It would be a completely idiotic move, but they could do it.

Also, Microsoft has to be worth more than that, if for no other reason that what Billy G is worth.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Sony.

Buying Microsoft.

It's Katchem_Aids talking about something non-Japanese. Logic has no place here, only madness.

C'mon, what's with all this Katchem bashing? He's a video gamer too!

Can't we just all be friends? :(

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Sony

Microsoft
    (31.6% net margin)[3]

Um.... those figures say that Microsoft has more money than Sony. MS' yearly profit is about 12 times greater than Sony's.

Yes sony spent a lot more money than MS last year, but sony also brought in more money. I'm not disagreeing with the argument that MS has more cash on hand. I'm just saying the "Mom's book shop" to "Barnes and Noble" comparison is very bad

DesertBox on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    plufim wrote: »
    graizur wrote: »
    Little Big World is nice and all, but it isn't going to appeal to the mass market sony is chasing. Infact, a good 50% of your list, graizur, they don't care about. And that's the issue I see here. $599 US is great for those of us who will use it to it's full potential, but the mass market, those who happily threw down $199 for a PS2 to play madden and singstar, who make up a huge chunk of the PS2 fanbase - well, there's just not much there for them.

My point is that Sony has a lot of negatives right now and thier positives are all in the future. With that we know about Sony's hype machine they will only diliver about 30% of their promise.

Their online will never compare to LIVE, their motion control will never compare to the wiimote and MetalGear and FF will eventually go to the Xbox 360.

I am actually wondering why any one anywhere is buying a PS3 at all.

Oh man. So much flaming will ensue from this post.

Quick! Change it before I hear about Lair, Heavenly Sword, God of War III, Gran Turismo et al for the umpteenth millionth time.

Lair is going to be utter shit. Factor 5 do not deserve the level of trust and hype this game is getting. Sure, it's pretty, but so was Rebel Strike. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I doubt it.
    Oh god, yes.

I haven't even heard about this one till the Unreal Engine debacle, and I've been thoroughly unimpressed.

It could very well be fun, but seriously, what the hell?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Metalfoot wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »

Sony.

Buying Microsoft.

C'mon, what's with all this Katchem bashing? He's a video gamer too!

Can't we just all be friends? :(

I don't know about you, but I always make fun of my crazy Japanese worshiping friends.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I don't know about you, but I always make fun of my crazy Japanese worshiping friends.

:^:

DesertBox on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Sony

Microsoft
    (31.6% net margin)[3]

Yes sony spent a lot more money than MS last year, but sony also brought in more money. I'm not disagreeing with the argument that MS has more cash on hand. I'm just saying the "Mom's book shop" to "Barnes and Noble" comparison is very bad
    Get a dictionary and look up the word, "hyperbole".

The point isn't that Microsoft has more "cash on hand", it's that they have a far greater net income. Bringing in $100 billion isn't a huge feat if you're spending $99 billion to do it.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Sony

Microsoft
    (31.6% net margin)[3]

*blink*

Sony brought in $1.042 billion. Microsoft brought in $12.6 billion. That's not quite "more" money on Sony's part.

They are both staggeringly huge companies, though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Sony

Microsoft
    (31.6% net margin)[3]

*blink*

Sony brought in $1.042 billion. Microsoft brought in $12.6 billion. That's not quite "more" money on Sony's part.

I was talking about Revenue, not income. But anyway, this is totally off topic. But either one buying the other would be ridiculous, if not impossible

DesertBox on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    IBM will buy them both

and make the xbox playstation 360 3

just you see

bongi on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ken and Kaz are interchangeable in my book. Basically, it's one down, one to go.

Oh, and also Jack Tretton. Tretton needs a whoopin' too.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    A quick note to both the purveyors and the users of these products: You are not your $599 US DOLLARS/Motion Sensing/Live Anywhere/Blast Processing Widget. You don't need to wear the gang colours, drink the kool aid or do the safety dance. Settle the fuck down.

Genesis 4 Lyfe, yo.

GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T!

get it right or your out of the gang.

Pretty sure in the PAL regions is was "sega does what nintendon't". I certainly don't remember any "MEGADRIVE does what nintendon't" ads.

"Genesis Does what Nintendon't!" was the slogan that was created by college students in america hired by sega to advertise the Genesis to the US market. PAL regions used the slogan "To be this good takes AGES, To be this good takes SEGA." Both were parodied by competitiors; "Nintendo is what Genesisn't" and "It would take SEGA AGES to be this good"

Hurray for Commodore ^_^

Pity their CD32 was a piece of crap... just an Amiga 1200 with a CD drive and no keyboard or expansion slots. Not many know that it was the very first 32-bit console.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Sony

Microsoft
    (31.6% net margin)[3]

*blink*

I was talking about Revenue, not income. But anyway, this is totally off topic. But either one buying the other would be ridiculous, if not impossible
    Revenue is irrelevant to the point you were trying to make, since income is what denotes actual profit and market value.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Revenue is irrelevant to the point you were trying to make, since income is what denotes actual profit and market value.

I'm not a business guy at all, so you might be right, but I don't think if a company loses money on the year it means that the company is worthless.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    It's not exactly the most fair comparison, considering those numbers were taken when Sony was dumping shittons into the PS3's development. That said, Sony has a higher revenue but with more expenditures. I don't even know what that implies.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I thought a company's worth was a combination of its assets (factories, etc) and income (or debts).

DesertBox on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought a company's worth was a combination of its assets (factories, etc) and income (or debts).

it's allot more complex than anything anyone has said so far.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

So .... magic?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

So .... magic?

mostly.

edit: tbh, I'm not qualified to explain it really, but I know that looking at annual information to do with revenue/profit is, on its own, useless. You have to look at recent performance, market share, return on capital employed, capital, share ownership, infrastructure, corporate culture, legal requirements (regarding anti-competition and other laws) reserves, inventory, and a bunch of other stuff I have probably forgotten when one company wants to 'buy out' or 'merge' with another.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    On one hand: His first console handed industry leadership to Sony right out of the gate, while his second is arguably the best console ever made.

On the other hand: He made obvious mistakes with his two most recent efforts; stood out as obnoxiously hyperbolic in an industry fueled by hype; and is responsible for that hideously inappropriate Spiderman font being on a console under my TV.

In the end, I'm glad to see him go, but I admit to having some respect for his accomplishments.

Raughn on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    Raughn wrote: »
    On one hand: His first console handed industry leadership to Sony right out of the gate, while his second is arguably the best console ever made.

On the other hand: He made obvious mistakes with his two most recent efforts; stood out as obnoxiously hyperbolic in an industry fueled by hype; and is responsible for that hideously inappropriate Spiderman font being on a console under my TV.

In the end, I'm glad to see him go, but I admit to having some respect for his accomplishments.
    Right; but you cannot let past laurels cloud your judgement when a person is obviously slipping.

They should have canned him well over a year ago. He has delivered massive damage to the Sony Brand name.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    Raughn wrote: »

Right; but you cannot let past laurels cloud your judgement when a person is obviously slipping.

They should have canned him well over a year ago. He has delivered massive damage to the Sony Brand name.

I see what you did there.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    "After completing the launch of PLAYSTATION 3 worldwide, Mr. Kutaragi has decided to pursue his dreams beyond PlayStation..."

So he's going to... play beyond?

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    since i guess it's vaguely relevant, anyone else read this interview with Peter Moore at 1up? http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3158868

shame it was done before this news came out, as i would've loved to see his take. I guess his attitude in it will come over as arrogant to some, but i just read it as confidence. It's good to see him acknowledge both the PS3 and Wii, and not totally 'talk smack' about them.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    edit: tbh, I'm not qualified to explain it really, but I know that looking at annual information to do with revenue/profit is, on its own, useless. You have to look at recent performance, market share, return on capital employed, capital, share ownership, infrastructure, corporate culture, legal requirements (regarding anti-competition and other laws) reserves, inventory, and a bunch of other stuff I have probably forgotten when one company wants to 'buy out' or 'merge' with another.

True to a point, but if you don't care about being super-accurate, a good layman's view is to just look at each company's assets. Sony has about $75B in assets. Microsoft has about $50B. One is a little bigger than the other, but they're pretty close. Close enough that talking about who's bigger is pretty damned pointless in the context of this argument.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    "After completing the launch of PLAYSTATION 3 worldwide, Mr. Kutaragi has decided to pursue his dreams beyond PlayStation..."

So he's going to... play beyond?

I think he has a beach house in the third place.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

True to a point, but if you don't care about being super-accurate, a good layman's view is to just look at each company's assets. Sony has about $75B in assets. Microsoft has about $50B. One is a little bigger than the other, but they're pretty close. Close enough that talking about who's bigger is pretty damned pointless in the context of this argument.

Exactly, saying which company has more money is like saying which nuclear bomb is more powerful, both are still fucking powerhouses with insanity levels of cash at hand.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So ...... I was right (sorta) ? How many Internet Achievement points is that worth?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So ...... I was right (sorta) ? How many Internet Achievement points is that worth?

Listen, I'm out of IAP.

Do you take rape dollars?

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Listen, I'm out of IAP.

As long as its enough for some good old-fashioned tentacle rape.

*cue Katchem_Ash

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Listen, I'm out of IAP.

*cue Katchem_Ash

Does that even cost extra?

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Listen, I'm out of IAP.

*cue Katchem_Ash

Does that even cost extra?

Since I have no witty response, I'll just post the first post that comes up in Katchem_Ash's post history.
    So Weaver wants to set into a portal full of tentacles that come out of flowers, where he is also violated by Zombies and back home meteors fall cause a rupture in the space time continum where the tentacles are unleashed in the world and as a result a deep and depressing fog flows and unicorns come up and kill for pleasure and as he lays there with goos and jucies of the zombies and tentacles all over him, a dog comes and has his way with weaver because he is out of it from all the pleasure?

Meanwhile as Weaver is getting ravaged by the dog, Katchem_ash's sends for his battle fleet to blast the earth and capture the tentacle. Meanwhile as Weaver comes too, he wanders over to what look like a group of girl, who smells the goos on him and thier dicks start to grow. Weaver is then taken in as they ravage him further.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sony

So, Nintendo's profit is almost twice that of the entire Sony group?

According to Kotaku, Nintendo made USD$1.89 billion in the past year.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/nintendo-double-yearly-profits-255429.php

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Sony

Microsoft
    (31.6% net margin)[3]

*blink*

Why would you talk about revenue? It completely fails to take into account costs. Revenue doesn't mean shit if you've got bills up to your eyeballs. It a poor indicator of "how much money X has."

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg