As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Batman: Co-Starring The Justice League?!

2»

• Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spider-Man... Unlimited, anyone?

I was quite the fan, truth be told.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I loved the 90s X-Men cartoon. If they would release the seasons on DVD I'd snatch them up in a heartbeat. As is I don't feel like paying for the pirated ones floating around.

Accualt on
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spider-man Unlimited was okay. I always felt like it was Marvels answer to Batman Beyond, although it wasn't nearly as good as BB.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I tried to get into Spider-Man Unlimited but it gave me a headache after three minutes

90s Spider-Man was so so so good

X-Men TAS hasn't aged well however

Try to listen to Storm's voice and keep a straight face

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I couldn't stand that whole 1990's Marvel stuff.

It was all cross-show continuity: Spider-Man, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Hulk, X-Men, etc.

The problem with them was mostly that each episode had so much baggage from the prior episodes they were impossible to watch. I'm not asking for self-contained stuff, just don't give me The Punisher for the sake of giving me The Punisher. Give me a REASON to have him show up.

And there was so much stuff that they seemed to just expect you to know, like The Starjammers guy being Cyclops' dad or whatever. If you hadn't been reading the books, you'd have lost half the cool stuff. Too much in-joking, not enough explanation.

X-Men Evolution did it all better; it went the Batman: Animated Series route.

Oh, and don't get me started on how crappy the recent Ultimate Avengers and Iron Man cartoons are.
    Because they're crap. It's not just storylines, it's overall piss-poor production value.

Anyway, "The Batman" isn't all that bad. It's not BtAS, but it's an ok "modern" replacement.

Squashua on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It seemed less to me like they expected you to know it and more like they acknowledged it but didn't want to waste time actually explaining it. So instead they made brief references that went nowhere if you didn't know what they were talking about- throwaway lines, not central to the plot that didn't really affect anything.

But maybe that's just me.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wasn't a comics reader when I watched X-Men, but I followed it just fine.

Saph on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Saph wrote: »
    I wasn't a comics reader when I watched X-Men, but I followed it just fine.

Some of the later-season stuff was sketchy, and my complaint is more oriented towards the Spider-Man series.

Squashua on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that they've sucked a lot of the tragedy out of the villains. A lot of the changes they made are not changes for the better from the point of view of conflict/drama. About the closest they've come to a tragic villain is Ethan Bennett/Clayface I. He basically takes the place of Two Face as being someone Bruce is close to who has their psyche shattered.

A lot of Batman's Rogues work because you feel like under the right (wrong) circumstances, anyone could snap and become Two Face, the Joker or Mr. Freeze.

And they even cured Bennett and made him a good guy again.

Really, you hit the nail on the head. That's my problem with the show exactly.

Well, that and the overuse of the same dramatic music sting every five seconds.

Furu on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Inspired by this thread:

batchin.jpg

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The inherent problem with being an ugly mind-reader.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    1st off: While I can safely say that I've never been a huge fan of the Martian manhunter and frankly thought he had a horrible costume, I have to agree with everyone else about how terrible this incarantion of him is in the looks department. I could deal with the shorts, but that chin... It's like a horrible political cartoon.

2nd: Personally, I loved the 90's marvel toons; X-men was a pretty good and had a decent ending, And there was just somthing about the incredible hulk series that made it impossible to ignore. Sure the Hulk was a big advertisement for a pile of other characters (thor, Iron man, she hulk, ghost rider, ect.) but over all I found it to be really enjoyable. And the opening music was awesome.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A terrible incarnation?

Aside from a longer chin and shorts, he's more or less spot on.

Do we need to post pictures of Bane and The Joker? Or the Riddler? Bah.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder if he'll have his John Jones identity as well. I've always liked the idea of a Martian detective, especially as depicted (albeit briefly) in New Frontier and JLA: Year One.

A Martian Manhunter: Year One or Martian Manhunter TV series would be awesome if it took that approach.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    A terrible incarnation?

Aside from a longer chin and shorts, he's more or less spot on.

Well his cape/shorts should be blue and not greenish blue

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder if he'll have his John Jones identity as well. I've always liked the idea of a Martian detective, especially as depicted (albeit briefly) in New Frontier and JLA: Year One.

A Martian Manhunter: Year One or Martian Manhunter TV series would be awesome if it took that approach.

There's an image of him as John Jones sitting down with Bruce Wayne, looking pretty much exactly like a mid-30's private eye.

I don't have it on hand, however D:

Furu on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I watched this, and the best part was probably when Joker, Bane, Penguin and Mr Freeze fought the invaders alongside GCPD.

The stuff with the justice league just served to make me miss JLU.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    So what's been the best episode of The Batman, so far?

The introduction of Harley is probably the one I've enjoyed the most. Though, overall, the third and fourth season really haven't been that bad. Hell, even the Joker's grown on me. Mr. Freeze can go to hell though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TJ287TJ287 Registered User new member
    Tank wrote: »
    It's not his chin that bothers me. It the fact that it looks like he's wearing hot pants.
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Looks like?

um, you guys don't know what hot pants are, do you? yes, obviously; do a web search for "hot pants". the most comparable article of clothing to what J'onn is wearing is bicycle shorts.

Reatheran wrote: »
    Well, he is a shapeshifter. Last time I checked, he doesn't actually wear anything.

well if he was human, from Earth, probably, but not necessarily:

jonn-and-zook.jpeg?psid=1

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    One of the disadvantages to posting in topics that have been inactive for five years is that the people you are arguing with have moved on. Not just from the argument, but from the whole dang forum. On a related note, please don't post in topics that have been inactive for five years.

This discussion has been closed.