As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SOLVED

Triple BTriple B Bastard of the NorthMARegistered User regular
edited November 2020 in Games and Technology
na

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
Triple B on

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The thing has both a normal 3/8th inch stereo jack and the dual RCA cables. Do you have anything to plug those into? Even just normal PC speakers? Then you should be fine.

Daedalus on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The thing has both a normal 3/8th inch stereo jack and the dual RCA cables. Do you have anything to plug those into? Even just normal PC speakers? Then you should be fine.

I don't have PC speakers, and I think you mean 1/8th inch stereo jack, don't you? Could I just leave my PC on, plug the stereo jack from the VGA cable into the microphone plug on my PC, and get sound through my headphones that way?

Triple B on
  • ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dont really mean to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question. Is it possible that the convertor plug that it comes with can be plugged into sound card and have the sound be rewired to headset?

ObstSkwerl on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The VGA cable is the one reason the 360 is in my list of future purchases. I'll be able to play the game in semi-HD on my 17" CRT, along with my DC.

Especially seeing as I won't be getting a HDTV before the end of the decade.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited April 2007
    The VGA cable is the one reason the 360 is in my list of future purchases. I'll be able to play the game in semi-HD on my 17" CRT, along with my DC.

Especially seeing as I won't be getting a HDTV before the end of the decade.

Not to be a dick, but, how does this help?

Triple B on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was just commenting.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Without some kind of software solution (and a quick look through the intertubes is coming up empty for me), I don't think there's a way to dump sound from the 360 into your line-in jack on your sound card and get it to simultaneously pump out through your headphones.

Put the included RCA-to-mini-jack adapter on the audio cables. Then, stick a mini-jack coupler (tah dah) on the adaptor. You now have a "headphone jack" on your 360. Pop in any thing that spits out sound and has a mini-jack plug.

This is more or less what I did for my set up.

Edit: Hm. That explanation could be clearer... if the above doesn't make sense, yell and I'll take a picture of my set up.

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MrPsycohed wrote: »
    Without some kind of software solution (and a quick look through the intertubes is coming up empty for me), I don't think there's a way to dump sound from the 360 into your line-in jack on your sound card and get it to simultaneously pump out through your headphones.

Put the included RCA-to-mini-jack adapter on the audio cables. Then, stick a mini-jack coupler (tah dah) on the adaptor. You now have a "headphone jack" on your 360. Pop in any thing that spits out sound and has a mini-jack plug.

This is more or less what I did for my set up.

Hell, on Windows you can make it work within your damn audio preferences. That's how I did it on my old windows machine. I also used it to listen to TV with headphones.

On my mac, I use a freeware program called LineIn for the same purpose.

yalborap on
  • AegiesAegies Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Triple B wrote: »

I don't have PC speakers, and I think you mean 1/8th inch stereo jack, don't you? Could I just leave my PC on, plug the stereo jack from the VGA cable into the microphone plug on my PC, and get sound through my headphones that way?

Not microphone; speaker. Mic is red, speakers are green, and line in is usually blue. Then you would go into your audio preferences and make sure it isn't muted. It should work fine. I run VGA on my HDTV and it's a marked improvement over component.

Aegies on
    eat. sleep. game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MooTMooT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hell, just the other day I brought mine over to my friends house, and hooked it up to his new monitor. For sound, we plugged the stereo jack into his mac mini and opened up garage band. Crackdown was trippy as fuck with some of those filters on.

It's obviously possible. There's settings for it in Windows, as was said already.

Though the best way is to simply plug it into any stereo with the red white jacks, or if you have en expensive audio system, it has optical out too(not relevant, I know, but just throwing that out there).
    Aegies wrote: »
    I run VGA on my HDTV and it's a marked improvement over component.
    Here's one wildcard. Some people complain "the colours are all washed out and faded with the VGA". When I used my friend's monitor, this was the case, but in my own personal setup, it looks absolutely gorgeous on my monitor over VGA. What the hell is with that?

MooT on
    Doomfield.png
    Wii #: 1141 2210 4181 0985
  • ToniousTonious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have this VGA cable for my Xbox 360. http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HD-AV-Cable/dp/B000H96ZJE/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-7576337-0288658?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1177645474&sr=8-3

I have a ViewSonic 22inch widescreen LCD. It has an stereo in port, so to get sound I have to use a Y cable to turn the red and white audio (I dunno what it's called >.>) to play through the speakers in the monitor. So if you want, just get the VGA cable then buy a Y cable with a female stereo plug instead of a male I used on mine. That way you can get sound through your speakers. It should work and it's pretty cheap. That Y cable should only run you about 3 bucks... Hope I helped. I've been lerking for a while ^_^;; I've posted a few times to get technical support but that's about it. Good luck!

Tonious on
    edited April 2007
    Okay, so I put the headphone jack attached to the RCA wires into the blue line-in jack on the back of my computer. I then plugged my headphones into the front panel headphone jack, and voila. As long as the computer is turned on, it works like i want it to.

Triple B on
  • AegiesAegies Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MooT wrote: »
    Hell, just the other day I brought mine over to my friends house, and hooked it up to his new monitor. For sound, we plugged the stereo jack into his mac mini and opened up garage band. Crackdown was trippy as fuck with some of those filters on.

It's obviously possible. There's settings for it in Windows, as was said already.

Though the best way is to simply plug it into any stereo with the red white jacks, or if you have en expensive audio system, it has optical out too(not relevant, I know, but just throwing that out there).
    Aegies wrote: »
    I run VGA on my HDTV and it's a marked improvement over component.
    Here's one wildcard. Some people complain "the colours are all washed out and faded with the VGA". When I used my friend's monitor, this was the case, but in my own personal setup, it looks absolutely gorgeous on my monitor over VGA. What the hell is with that?

People see the washed out colors issue because there are two ways that VGA is implemented insofar as the colorspace it uses: computer monitors use a specific colorspace because they expect their source to be output from a computers VGA source, while televisions expect a consumer video colorspace through VGA. The 360, as a consumer electronics device, is outputting a consumer electronics colorspace, which leads to "washed out" colors on displays that are expecting a PC output. The fall update will enable a feature that allows you to switch between these color settings and solve the issue. Some of the AVS Microsoft Insiders have gone so far as to suggest that people who are looking at the Elite because of this issue wait until the update to see if that solves their problem, and seem confident that it will.

Aegies on
    eat. sleep. game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]