As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gulf Coast Oil]: Spill, Baby Spill. Volunteer Info at the top of OP

1575859606163»

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I heard that BP wants Twitter to shut down an account someone made parodying BP.

SpillBPSpill?

http://twitter.com/BPGlobalPR

Henroid on
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    "Of course, bp cares about the fishing industry as well. Now, all tuna from the gulf coast comes pre-packaged in oil. #you'rewelcome #yum"

That's fantastic.

Protein Shakes on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked a couple from yesterday:

"One of Jesus' miracles was walking on water, now everyone can do it!"

"There are approximately 30,000 incidents of marine life attacking humans each year, at BP we're working to reduce that number."

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any thoughts on the "pause" in the operations? They are supposed to start up again tonight but I am not optimistic. NY Times take is much less rosy than what the company is saying

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/28/us/28spill.html?hp

Roanth on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thank god BP came out against this twitter account - otherwise I might never have heard of it!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-27/bp-oil-spill-probes-find-deficiencies-disagreements-correct-.html
    BP’s Higher Estimate

BP has estimated the well is leaking about 5,000 barrels of oil a day. A BP document shows it may be leaking about 14,000 barrels daily, U.S. Representative Edward Markey said yesterday.

The internal BP document from April 27 put a high estimate for the leak at 14,266 barrels a day, Markey, a Massachusetts Democrat, said yesterday at a House Natural Resources Committee hearing. At the time, BP was saying publicly that its well was leaking 1,000 barrels a day, Markey said.

The congressional memo provides an account of events on the rig in the 24 hours before the explosion, based on the BP investigator’s interpretation. It doesn’t include information from Transocean, the owner of the rig, or Halliburton Co., the contractor involved in cementing the well.
    Pieces of shit.

Couscous on
    edited May 2010
    i might make another one this weekend

Protein Shakes on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    ...First of all, where did I say that you said the spill was good? I quoted you on saying the test was a success, which you did say and which you were wrong about.

It is bad that the valve and/or valve control system failed the test and that oil was spilled.
    It is good that the test revealed flaws in the SOP of pipeline operations, which can now be corrected.
    In that sense the test is a success, even though their SOP failed, because the purpose of testing is not just to rubber-stamp a passing grade on everything. We already have someone who does that, the MMS.

BubbaT on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Its finally coming out pretty strong that BP and the Govt down there are blocking the press. Here is the Newsweek article on it. I wonder how long until some reporter grows some balls and just goes out into the blocked off areas on his own.

Also there are more and more conflicting reports that the whole mud thing is working, or is half working.

Hee, reporters with balls. I love idealists.

BP publicly: Everyone is free to go anywhere, it's a free country.

BP to reporters as they enter the area: Hey buddy, all I'm sayin' is that it's a big, dangerous ocean out there, and sometimes a guy might "accidentally" set his own boat on fire or shoot himself in the head 4 times. I'm just sayin' I'd hate to see you end up like those reporters in that Iraqi Wikileaks video, capiche?

BubbaT on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i liked the rachel maddow video where she compares this spill to one that happened in 1979 and basically the same stuff happened, except they ended up having to drill relief wells anyway.

tyrannus on
    edited May 2010
    It is possible that BP is trying to make sure that people don't accidentally contact oily water, which might lead to health complications and increase BP's liability even more.

I mean, there is no real reason why they would prevent people from checking out the contaminated areas anyway. By now everyone knows what they look like.

Protein Shakes on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There is a very real reason
    Humans are very visual
    A powerful image can be much more damaging to BP than 1000 words

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In case people have not seen the pictures, Boston's The Big Picture has some from May 24th and May 12th.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There is a very real reason
    Humans are very visual
    A powerful image can be much more damaging to BP than 1000 words

1963_monk_on_fire_vietnam.jpg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In case people have not seen the pictures, Boston's The Big Picture has some from May 24th and May 12th.

there are some stronger images, but all in all the visual media from this disaster is pretty weak, with the exception of the oil leak video
    Although that could need a counter

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    It is possible that BP is trying to make sure that people don't accidentally contact oily water, which might lead to health complications and increase BP's liability even more.

I mean, there is no real reason why they would prevent people from checking out the contaminated areas anyway. By now everyone knows what they look like.

you're kind of a BP apologist

Dynagrip on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And thus God created liability waivers.

Couscous on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We're almost there!

Divert all power to the engines!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked a couple from yesterday:

"One of Jesus' miracles was walking on water, now everyone can do it!"

I'm not a physicist, but I don't think that's how it works.

Schrodinger on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Going to TOTP kill this thread

MKR on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In honor of the subject, I vote that we don't close off the thread until we have confirmation that the top kill has worked.

The thread is a metaphor.

Schrodinger on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Um, like all those BP clean-up workers who are out there without proper equipment? Or is that not the same, because that's BP purposefully exposing people to the oily water?

hippofant on
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why is BP planning to drill only two relief wells and not four? Especially since they expect hurricane season to interfere with those efforts?

The government really needs to put more pressure on BP on this issue.

Perpetual on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Why is BP planning to drill only two relief wells and not four? Especially since they expect hurricane season to interfere with those efforts?

BP was only going to drill one but the feds made them do two.

deadonthestreet on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They should do twenty, no, one hundred relief wells

maybe more

fuckin BP

The Black Hunter on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seems things aren't going as planned.

Can't say I'm really surprised. There's no telling what kind of complications they are dealing with.

Drake on
    edited May 2010
    This is the best Facebook group.

enlightenedbum on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Wouldn't it be hilarious if THOSE wells began leaking?

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Wouldn't it be hilarious if THOSE wells began leaking?

No, no it would not be hilarious.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So Junk Shot + Top Kill = Top Junk?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So Junk Shot + Top Kill = Top Junk?
    Junk Kill.

HS5Sm.png

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kill Shot sounds better.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I figured out how to fix the problem... we need to find the Thirteen Treasures of Rule to stop the "dark water". :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited May 2010
    Problem with that plan is they never finished the series.

enlightenedbum on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We could go with the Uri Geller technique?

I'm willing you to stop leaking, wellhead. I'M WILLING IT!
    The investigative hearings have grown increasingly combative. Three scheduled witnesses have changed their plans to testify, according to the Coast Guard. Robert Kaluza, a BP official on the rig on the day of the explosion, declined to testify on Thursday by invoking his Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate himself.

Another top ranking BP official, Donald Vidrine, and James Mansfield, Transocean’s assistant marine engineer on the Deepwater Horizon, both told the Coast Guard that they had medical conditions.

...They have a disease that that hinders their ability to testify in court?

I hope it's not contagious.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited May 2010
    It's a major disease, oith wily discharge

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.