As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's Our Generation's Evilness?

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    we will be derided for our inability to take furries seriously or something

like, we'll object to the little census boxes that lets you claim you're a fox or ocelot or something

and that will be bigotry

I actually think this is going to happen. Not to the suggested extent, but thanks to the internet (which is going to grow in dominance in our day to day life) will let various unusual or extreme subcultures thrive, and they'll end up being seen as 'a bit silly' as opposed to any massive flaw. And in general they'll be far more accepting of things that fall outside the norm.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CliffCliff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Alright, this thread has decided me. I know what I will be a crotchety old man about:

MEAT

Fuck you all, you can take my delicious dead animal from my cold dead delicious hands you vegan motherfuckers! Now get off my lawn!!!!

Don't worry, meat will never be banned.

Cliff on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

like, we'll object to the little census boxes that lets you claim you're a fox or ocelot or something

and that will be bigotry

*stares longingly at Dalmation costume hanging in the closet*

Someday, people will understand someone like me ... *sighs*

We shall overcome.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Ah. I'm not sure how common it is in the United States. Pretty common, I'd guess, though I can only speculate (thankfully, having evidence would be....awkward...) compared to other parts of the world.

It's still prevelant in the U.S. and will be for a long time. It's still legal in places where it's very rare too. Decreasing rapidly as a practice in Canada. Still a long way off from being widely considered unacceptable.

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Factory farming.

Prejudice against robots/AI stemming from the modern mythology of films like Terminator 2 and the Matrix.

Qingu on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am willing to make a bet that nobody will be taking qualia very seriously in 50 years. Or John Searle's Chinese Room.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am willing to make a bet that nobody will be taking qualia very seriously in 50 years. Or John Searle's Chinese Room.

Or the philosophical zombie.

Couscous on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DOWN WITH THE ZOMBIE

Long live the zimboe!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Ah. I'm not sure how common it is in the United States. Pretty common, I'd guess, though I can only speculate (thankfully, having evidence would be....awkward...) compared to other parts of the world.

It's still prevelant in the U.S. and will be for a long time. It's still legal in places where it's very rare too. Decreasing rapidly as a practice in Canada. Still a long way off from being widely considered unacceptable.

I'm from East Asia, so it's a mystery to me.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

This is hilarious; I didn't even remember Searle's original argument using the thought experiment, and had to look it up just now. When I first read your post I was wondering what on earth the problem is with an explanation of Turing-completeness. I had entirely forgotten that the Chinese Room was originally formulated to dismiss strong AI, probably because I hang out with more computer scientists than philosophers. I guess we're fifty years ahead of the curve.

Seriously, the last several (and it really has been quite a few) times I've heard the thought experiment described, the end wasn't "a-ha, but that guy speaks English so the system doesn't really understand Chinese" it was "So we could replace this english-speaking guy reading from a book with a Quantum Gobbledygook Singularity Processor, and our examination of the system would be exactly the same because of Turing-completeness"

nescientist on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They'll all be wondering why the hell we made a film about them all which started with "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away". Pondering as to how we predicted it and yet thought it would be in another galaxy.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: Whoops

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    Prejudice against robots/AI stemming from the modern mythology of films like Terminator 2 and the Matrix.

Like shoe polish and black face from last century, humans will wear glued-on microchips and circuit boards?

cyborgp.png

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seriously, the last several (and it really has been quite a few) times I've heard the thought experiment described, the end wasn't "a-ha, but that guy speaks English so the system doesn't really understand Chinese" it was "So we could replace this english-speaking guy reading from a book with a Quantum Gobbledygook Singularity Processor, and our examination of the system would be exactly the same because of Turing-completeness"

I like using it to explain to people why they don't understand English. And then they're all like WAIT YOU CAN'T DO THAT

And I put on my awesome hat

like this

<:V

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Future generations will wonder why we all didn't join the glorious hive mind.

Couscous on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Future generations will wonder why we all didn't join the glorious hive mind.

For three or four nanoseconds, then it's back to pondering the nature of Cosmos.

nescientist on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some issues from the top of my head:

Mandatory voting.
    The fact that we only have a census every ten years and our stupid desire for privacy.
    Walling off the cities and the war on townies.
    Individual government watchdogs constantly monitoring every mine and oil rig.
    Mass automation of manufacturing.
    Why we didn't model society on Brave New World.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Walling off the cities and the war on townies.
    They will wonder why we didn't do this earlier.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure if it'll happen, but I kind of wonder how, in say, 50 years, our various media "eccentrics" will be looked at, especially at the height of their influence (assuming it hasn't happened already).

Very famous people like Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, of course, but the more interesting view might be that of the huge wave of faceless personalities who merely refer to themselves as "your resident blogger" (like this chap) and have envisioned themselves as the natural evolution of media. Or did five to ten years ago anyway.

Of course, that assumes there is a decline in eccentric bloggers.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CliffCliff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know all this talk of cyborg prejudice being the new racism makes me think

this guy

Cyborg-gj-761855.jpg

can't catch a break.

Cliff on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    00000274.png

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

and that will be bigotry

Your granddaughter brings her boyfriend to the family barbeque and he's wearing a fursuit

Your son has to tackle you before you can grab your shotgun

Nobody even knows if that shotgun even works - you haven't used it since the Zombie Apocalypse of 2023

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the people of the future will be amazed that we relied so heavily on oil and made no attempt to find any other real reliable fuels.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What people.

Oh, that's a little pessimistic. I guess I'd say the evils of our generation will be generally the same as those we ascribe of our forefathers. Sort of banal, but that's how I think these sort of things work.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm actually going to change my vote to 'excessive navel gazing' :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

hard to see your navel through that fursuit

just sayin

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Republicans

Magus` on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Our generation's evilness, and this is going along with what the OP had in mind I think, is drinking culture.

Let me clarify; the glorifying of going out clubbing and getting drunk off our asses, etc. I think in 50 years time, people are going to look back on that shit and think "What in the fuck is the matter with you?"

The trick is, I think we're going to progress enough to where drinking becomes more widely accept, but as a result less people are going out to get shitfaced. I've seen lots of people get disinterested in alcohol with time and they only jump in because OMG IM 21 LETS DO THIS SHIT.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Our generation's evilness, and this is going along with what the OP had in mind I think, is drinking culture.

Let me clarify; the glorifying of going out clubbing and getting drunk off our asses, etc. I think in 50 years time, people are going to look back on that shit and think "What in the fuck is the matter with you?"

The trick is, I think we're going to progress enough to where drinking becomes more widely accept, but as a result less people are going out to get shitfaced. I've seen lots of people get disinterested in alcohol with time and they only jump in because OMG IM 21 LETS DO THIS SHIT.

This is a pretty good point. This whole culture of getting wasted is really fucking stupid. I mean, people got drunk on previous generations as well, but it wasn't nearly as obnoxious. And people didn't brag about how drunk they were last night either.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »

Like shoe polish and black face from last century, humans will wear glued-on microchips and circuit boards?

cyborgp.png

That one, yeah, no. The Machines in the Matrix movies ended up that way because we were pompous pricks who reacted to our autonomous servants suddenly seeming to show emotion with "KILLITBURNITSMASHITUP".

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

hard to see your navel through that fursuit

just sayin

that's not a fursuit!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

This is a pretty good point. This whole culture of getting wasted is really fucking stupid. I mean, people got drunk on previous generations as well, but it wasn't nearly as obnoxious. And people didn't brag about how drunk they were last night either.

It was extremely taboo back in the day too, but as things expanded for the youth the drinking came out of the closet (as it were). So now you've got shit where going to college for some people is defined by the parties they go to. You've got shows like Jersey Shore and The Real World playing up the drunken rampage / shitfaced antics and people find it entertaining and put themselves in those positions. You've got a genre of music talking about getting "crunk" or whatever (to be fair, I think a lot of 80's rock had that going on). And it's not helping that police let celebrities off the hook for drunken and disorderly conduct, which enables people...

I mean, one of these days the brakes are gonna be hit on that shit and it'll stop being cool.

Henroid on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, all these jokes about massive furry popularity in the future remind me of The Forever War.

Except in that book it was teh gays

Qingu on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All of our generations from the Boomers on will be seen the same way historians have traditionally seen the last days of the Western Roman Empire and the entirety of the Eastern. Extreme greed, decadence, lack of national character, concern only with personal pleasure.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The notion that everything is subjective and that we should try and cater to everyone.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Our inability to move on from our dependence on fossil fuels, and instead waging wars half way across the world to cling to it.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Who else is going to be joining the Luddite backlash against our evil AI overlords, when the time comes? :P

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Going to go with apathy

Gumpy on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It was extremely taboo back in the day too, but as things expanded for the youth the drinking came out of the closet (as it were). So now you've got shit where going to college for some people is defined by the parties they go to.

When, in the entire history of the Western University, have the students not drunk?

Also: see Mad Men for a portrayal of our grandparents' relationship to alcohol. I'll give you a hint: it involved a lot of drinking at work, a lot of drinking and driving, and a lot of getting absolutely three sheets to the wind at cocktail parties.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    It was extremely taboo back in the day too, but as things expanded for the youth the drinking came out of the closet (as it were). So now you've got shit where going to college for some people is defined by the parties they go to.

When, in the entire history of the Western University, have the students not drunk?

Also: see Mad Men for a portrayal of our grandparents' relationship to alcohol. I'll give you a hint: it involved a lot of drinking at work, a lot of drinking and driving, and a lot of getting absolutely three sheets to the wind at cocktail parties.

We drink far less than our ancestors. And the people depicted in Mad Men have nothing on our founding generation and their children. Political rallies used to be excuses to just hand out alcohol to people and get drunk. :lol:

But we also have a more fucked up culture when it comes to drinking, and they didn't have automobiles.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg