As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate Challenge

SentaphSentaph Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Critical Failures
Alright, so here's the deal. I've been talking to a few friends and we want to start a superhero PnP RPG game. After looking around, I (the potential GM) have decided on Mutants and Monsters as our best bet. However, that's not really the issue here.

You see neither I, nor any of my friends that I know, have ever played a PnP game. Ever. *Dun dun duuun* I honestly don't know anyone that plays. But to me, the idea sounds great, and as such, I am now determined to bring PnP games to my circle of friends.

So my question is two-fold: is this going to be possible? Can 4-6 people with zero experience create and play a solid gaming experience? Secondly, if so, how do I go about putting this together and setting it up? I have previously convinced all said friends to play City of Heroes for some time, so creating characters, playing together, and fighting villains is not a new concept. The whole group has a good sense of humor and is easy-going, however, stat sheets, math, and pure imagination are a bit unfamiliar. I don't want to bore anyone.

Thus I turn to you, the Masters of Men and Dice, for advice in creating a campaign that my friends will enjoy and want to continue.

Sentaph on

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My advice for tackling a new tabletop RPG, is to make a sample game, and see how it goes. Do one combat encounter and some role-playing with test run characters just to get a feel for the mechanics down, before you get to seriousness.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You guys are just starting? Make sure you're all on the same page. Seriously, the same page. First 'game night' is everyone sitting around the table and talking about what they like, the character they're making, and what they want in the game.

This is SO important. Seriously. Just make it a normal night with a beer or two and some casual discussion, you just have the books out and are writing characters and brainstorming. Don't get too attached to any idea you have until AFTER you know what people are looking for. If your guys are thinking gritty Watchmen-style antics and you're thinking four-color Captain Planet style, you'll have a disconnect.

When you actually get to running the game, make sure you have a piece of paper set aside for nothing but rules issues. When you come up against something and say 'I'm not sure...'

DON'T OPEN THE RULEBOOK AND SEARCH FOR FIVE MINUTES!

Just ask someone to roll a die and give them a bonus if they have skills/powers that would affect what's happening. Then write the rules issue down on your piece of paper and look it up after the game, so NEXT time you can rule it properly.

Keep the game flowing, otherwise people get bored, lose interest, and fall out of the game. This is bad. Just make sure that people understand ad-hoc rules probably won't be in play next session.

The other last piece of advice that I have, that I give to literally every budding GM?
    Don't plan your sessions too heavily. Don't write a script for your villains(although if you have a good idea for a line or two, jot it down!) Don't write a script for the action, because the players WILL fuck it up(although if you have a good idea for a badass move someone could do, jot it down!)

Loose framework. Let the players go wild inside of it, and if they punch a hole in the wall, then try and make shit up as you go, or worst case scenario say 'hey guys I need a 5 minute break while I figure out what happens.' It's been done before, and usually just makes the players feel good about themselves.

But I wish you good luck! The world needs more GMs.

EDIT: I remember starting from scratch, not too long ago! It's definitely possible, fun, and just a good way to spend time with friends. As long as you're having fun, it's a solid gaming experience. That's what is important to remember. Full stop.

Rainfall on