As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got Diabetus? There's a tat for that.

MeizMeiz Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Social Entropy++
The technology behind the MIT sensor, described in a December 2009 issue of ACS Nano, is fundamentally different from existing sensors, says Strano. The sensor is based on carbon nanotubes wrapped in a polymer that is sensitive to glucose concentrations. When this sensor encounters glucose, the nanotubes fluoresce, which can be detected by shining near-infrared light on them. Measuring the amount of fluorescence reveals the concentration of glucose.

The researchers plan to create an “ink” of these nanoparticles suspended in a saline solution that could be injected under the skin like a tattoo. The “tattoo” would last for a specified length of time, probably six months, before needing to be refreshed.

To get glucose readings, the patient would wear a monitor that shines near-infrared light on the tattoo and detects the resulting fluorescence. One advantage of this type of sensor is that, unlike some fluorescent molecules, carbon nanotubes aren’t destroyed by light exposure. “You can shine the light as long as you want, and the intensity won’t change,” says Barone. Because of this, the sensor can give continuous readings.

Development of the nanoparticles and the wearable monitor is being funded by MIT’s Deshpande Center for Technological Innovation.

Barone and Strano are now working to improve the accuracy of their sensor. Any glucose monitor must pass a test known as the Clarke Error Grid, the gold standard for glucose-sensor accuracy. The test, which compares sensor results to results from a lab-based glucose meter, needs to be very stringent, since mistakes in glucose detection can be fatal.

They are still years away from human trials, says Barone, but they may soon start trials in animals. Those tests will be key to determining the value of this approach, says Buckingham. “You don’t know how good it will be until you put it in someone and see how strong the signal is,” he says.

tattoomayhel.jpg

Article:
http://www.physorg.com/news194248207.html

There's a few people I know whom are living with this stupid fucknut of a disease. Seriously, it's bullfuck. You prick your finger, check your levels, need to pay through the teeth for insulin and your prise is a shorter life span.

Fuck you Diabetus.

Meiz on

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you've to pay for insulin in the US, yikes

FAQ on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    in Canada we have insulin fountains

you just swim in it at your leisure

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FAQ wrote: »
    you've to pay for insulin in the US, yikes

Yeah, I'd be fucked if my coverage wasn't pretty awesome right now.

That's not a boast. I got two kinds of insulin AND syringes, and test strips to worry about. This shit is some maintenance, lemme tell you.

And Medi-Cal is going down the fucking toilet. D:D:D:D:D:

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Meiz can I interest you in this mule pancreas

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Larlar wrote: »

What do you do with the bodies?
    Because you would die of insulin shock, see

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Meiz wrote: »
    There's a few people I know whom are living with this stupid fucknut of a disease. Seriously, it's bullfuck. You prick your finger, check your levels, need to pay through the teeth for insulin and your prise is a shorter life span.

Fuck you Diabetus.

Well, that's pretty much the cost of living without one of your vital organs functioning as intended.

There's no proper substitute for the Pancreatic Beta Cells; but if they go broke, your choice is either to deal with the maintenance or go into a diabetic coma.

I damn near did just that, when my pancreas' beta cells went kaput. It was probably a gradual process, considering how long I was feeling sick before I finally called the hospital.

I called 911 one night, after putting up with the worst of the symptoms for at least a week.

I was informed that I had a glucose level of about 950. That's the average of ten people.

Goatmon on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is the lead story on our homepage today: http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/glucose-tattoo-0528.html

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    awesome. my son will get a kick out of this. incidentally, i've been meaning to look up the average monthly cost of diabetic supplies. anybody got any round figures? i'm assuming with insurance. and type 1.

and countdown to stale coming in with an all-over body design idea in 10.....

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Larlar wrote: »

What do you do with the bodies?
    Because you would die of insulin shock, see

No one dies in Canada.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    cadmunky wrote: »
    awesome. my son will get a kick out of this. incidentally, i've been meaning to look up the average monthly cost of diabetic supplies. anybody got any round figures? i'm assuming with insurance. and type 1.

and countdown to stale coming in with an all-over body design idea in 10.....

thats a loaded question, but I can give you an idea.

Glucose monitor - $150-$450 (replace every 12-16 months minimum)
    Test Strips - $35-$75 per bottle of 100 you test 2-3 times a day
    Ketostix (urinalysis) - $35 per bottle of 40 (test daily)
    Glucose tablets - $10 per pack of 5 (in case of emergencies)
    Glucogon Injection - $75 per needle (in case of emergencies)
    Insulin - $35-$75 per bottle (usage varies, 1000 units per bottle, I go through 3800 units a month)
    Syringes - $45-$65 a box of 100 (usage varies, when I injected I did so 3-5 times day)

Ok, so thats your first month of maintenance. This does not include the initial hospital visit, in which you'll probably be admitted and kept for at least a couple days as it's almost a given you'll be in rough shape at first. Also does not include initial education classes, material, coaching. This can easily run up to $50,000. WHen I was initially diagnosed in 1992, I ran up a $72,000 the first two months of medical bills.

Now, if you go with a pump, and not individual injections, the pump itself will run upwards of $5,000 and will last years. The pump supplies run about $150 - $200 a month.

Now obviously insurance will offset a chunk of this, but this really is one of the most annoying and expensive diseases one can have.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh

Who says you have to replace the monitor every year or so? I have never heard that.

Goatmon on

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You shouldn't have eaten so much cake and stuff, Stale.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh

Who says you have to replace the monitor every year or so? I have never heard that.

Heh, the test monitor manufacturers. Probably to keep sales driven.

Really, if you watch it, they come out with a newer, better, more accurate and easier generation about every 16 months. So, it makes sense to change it out.

Hell I still have my original cave-man style monitor and if they still made strips, I'm sure it would work. But it wouldn't do 1/30th of the cool shit my current one does.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uhh, okay

Long as I can put my blood in the strip and get a reading, I'm good.

I mean, the newer one I was given (<3 my insurance) when I lost my last one is dandy; It's nice to be able to add some details to my readings, but honestly, the readings are all I really need to keep tabs on.

And if this one goes kaput or gets lost, I can pick up one that does that for $15 at wal-mart.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Uhh, okay

I mean, the newer one I got when I lost my last one is dandy; It's nice to be able to add some details to my readings, but really

The readings are all I really need to keep tabs on. And if need be, I can pick up one that does that for $15 at wal-mart.

ahh, see, mine talks to my pump. I'm all fancy and bourgeois and shit.

Really the smaller sample, the no-coding (especially the no-coding), and the wireless communication with my pump is key.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    they have wi-fi now?!

fffffffffffffffffffff

I just stepped into an iphone commercial

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    they've been wi-fi compatible for 4 or 5 years now

My pump is 4.5 years old and was the first gen with the 802.11a receiver.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Stale wrote: »
    Uh

Heh, the test monitor manufacturers. Probably to keep sales driven.

Really, if you watch it, they come out with a newer, better, more accurate and easier generation about every 16 months. So, it makes sense to change it out.

Hell I still have my original cave-man style monitor and if they still made strips, I'm sure it would work. But it wouldn't do 1/30th of the cool shit my current one does.

If you're paying for monitors you're doing it wrong (unless you have a real fancy pants one). A number (if not all) of the manufacturers give away their monitors since it's the strips that keep the money rolling in. If you happen to be in an area where you can't get one for free, go see your PCP and they'll likely just give you.

The cost for everything related to diabetes is retarded though, insulin cost in the USA is far too high (I go through approx 4 vials a month which without insurance would cost approximately $75 each, plus the syringes, plus the blood test strips, etc...)

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Uhh, okay

I mean, the newer one I got when I lost my last one is dandy; It's nice to be able to add some details to my readings, but really

The readings are all I really need to keep tabs on. And if need be, I can pick up one that does that for $15 at wal-mart.

Really the smaller sample, the no-coding (especially the no-coding), and the wireless communication with my pump is key.

ok, that's a cool meter... have you thought about swapping that pump up for the glucose monitoring one? apparently the cost is through the roof, but gets rid of the cost test strips

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh, I thought all pumps had that advantage.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of not having to do injections.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Uhh, okay

ok, that's a cool meter... have you thought about swapping that pump up for the glucose monitoring one? apparently the cost is through the roof, but gets rid of the cost test strips

ahh, but it doesn't.

The test modules you insert next to the pump run about $350-400 a month. Problem being that while your pump knows what your blood is, you don't. Now, in my pump I can scroll back through the reporting, but it's extremely non-user friendly, it's really more of a machine log, not a ledger setup.

So, even though I get awesome control through the pump, I can't really pull the numbers to see any trends in front of me.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh, I thought all pumps had that advantage.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of not having to do injections.

most newer ones do, but it's not all-in-one.

you have to pay for a separate module that you inject alongside the cannula for the pump. Those are hundreds of dollars a month, and most insurance don't cover them.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that explains the lack of graveyards

THE INSULIN IS PEOPLE!

INSULIN IS PEEEEOOOOOPPLEEEE!!!!!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    well, this just became 100x more relevant. looks like he's coming to stay with me for a couple months this summer. he must be driving his mother insane. heh.

and those figures fall into the range i expected. keep in mind, he's already well on the road to familiarity with all this. so i was looking at anywhere in the $800-$1100/month spectrum, depending on usage habits. also looking at the advantages of buying in bulk for most items.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i just saw an awesome ted talk about linking pretty much all physiological functions to your iphone.

ah, here it is.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

THE INSULIN IS PEOPLE!

INSULIN IS PEEEEOOOOOPPLEEEE!!!!!

Bahahahah!

Sorry, I enjoyed that a little too much.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited May 2010

THE INSULIN IS PIGS!

INSULIN IS PIIIIIIIIGGGSSSS!!!!!

fixed

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

THE INSULIN IS SOME TYPE OF GENETICALLY MODIFIED BACTERIA!

INSULIN IS SOME TYPE OF GENETICALLY MODIFIED BACTERIAAAAAAA!!!!!

fixed

?

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No, see, the first publicly available...

it was harvested from...

nevermind

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    jackal wrote: »

THE INSULIN IS SOME TYPE OF BANDWAGON

I'M JUMPING ON THE BAAAANDWAAAAGON

fixed

?

???

Goatmon on

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No, see, the first publicly available...

it was harvested from...

nevermind

Well yeah. Just sayin'

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i thought it was sheep.

SHEEPLE!!

cadmunky on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i don't imagine insulin tastes very good.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    doesn't really taste like anything

only has a strong odor because they add it. So if you spill some you know it.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kinda like the gas used for heating and such.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    i know. i was just giving butters shit because he meant infused lollipops.

or something. i can't see the vid.

so insulin is flavored with poo gas?

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    photo-2.jpg

My Buddy! My Buddy! My Buddy and meeeeeeeeeee!

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg