As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fancy [CHAT]

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hmm, I need to find like a database of items/relics/things used to ward off evil spirits/daemons/the horrors beyond the veil.

Watch Supernatural, all your supernatural killing needs and obscure beings in one place.

But that is a less convenient medium! I want like... a database!

Inquisitor on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, I need to find like a database of items/relics/things used to ward off evil spirits/daemons/the horrors beyond the veil.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com

Some of my favorite ones:

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-701

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-231

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-882

Edit: Shit, my bad, I thought you were looking for a database of evil things, not to ward them off.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh look nexus is here. Lets not make things too awkward nex.

i hate you so much preacher

nexuscrawler on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    I know it shouldn't affect the larger part of the game, but just knowing that Boob Tube achievment is there is such a major turnoff.

Meh. Video games cost money to make. If they got some cash from Verizon to put an obscure advert in a part of a level that you normally wouldn't access that contains no other bonuses, I personally wouldn't consider it that big of a deal.

Yeah, Microsoft has been hurting for cash lately.

I thought they were just publishing it, though.

I kind of agree with Sheep on this. Especially since Alan Wake in particular has been in development for a long-ass time. Gotta recoup those costs.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That paramore girl has nice titties.

Also twitter is awesome :D

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hahah Head of Skate.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know it shouldn't affect the larger part of the game, but just knowing that Boob Tube achievment is there is such a major turnoff.

Meh. Video games cost money to make. If they got some cash from Verizon to put an obscure advert in a part of a level that you normally wouldn't access that contains no other bonuses, I personally wouldn't consider it that big of a deal.

I kind of agree with Sheep on this. Especially since Alan Wake in particular has been in development for a long-ass time. Gotta recoup those costs.

Money comes from the publisher. Remedy isn't funding this, Microsoft would be.

Honestly though, if game sales aren't enough to recoup the cost then it isn't that great of a game and they can stick whatever shit in it they want. I can't imagine the money made from that advertisement is very significant when compared to how much money is brought in from game sales, though, the game is supposed to be a pretty big deal.

Sarksus on
    edited May 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Edit: Shit, my bad, I thought you were looking for a database of evil things, not to ward them off.

As my character in Cthulhu is becoming progressively more and more paranoid I want him to be carrying more and more relics/things to ward off evil.

Inquisitor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh look nexus is here. Lets not make things too awkward nex.

i hate you so much preacher

There was a warning and a spoiler, you challenged I answered!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

I saw!

Nice little A cups.

Sheep on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will say that if Sarah Palin becomes President, Jon Stewart will have the easiest job in the world.

He won't even need to provide commentary.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWT07iRvI9M

All you need, my friend.

Premier kakos on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I will say that if Sarah Palin becomes President, Jon Stewart will have the easiest job in the world.

until he's shot by assassins on snow mobiles.

Dynagrip on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

As my character in Cthulhu is becoming progressively more and more paranoid I want him to be carrying more and more relics/things to ward off evil.

List of good luck charms/wards against evil. And it's Apotopaic magic if you're looking for the new age term.

Thomamelas on
    edited May 2010

Honestly though, if game sales aren't enough to recoup the cost then it isn't that great of a game and they can stick whatever shit in it they want. I can't imagine the money made from that advertisement is very significant when compared to how much money is brought in from game sales, though, the game is supposed to be a pretty big deal.

Sales have absolutely no bearing on the quality of a product.

I also don't see the point in turning down easy money because it's "not a significant portion of development costs".

There's no problem in developers penny pinching and the like. Especially in this day and age.

Sheep on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I think she'd invoke executive privilege, and just lean out of her helicopter and pop him herself.

firewaterword on
    edited May 2010

The body was never found due to wolves

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I saw!

Nice little A cups.

how do I make it so I am seeing this

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    kakos i will take two elder sign (mint) please

Arch on
    edited May 2010

I also don't see the point in turning down easy money because it's "not a significant portion of development costs".

There's no problem in developers penny pinching and the like. Especially in this day and age.

Slippery slope man, everytime one of these fucking things comes up its just a path to watching commercials before the game actually loads.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2010
    Variable wrote: »

I saw!

Nice little A cups.

how do I make it so I am seeing this

:winky: :winky:

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited May 2010

Hahahahah!

Nikki Haley had a sex scandal?

Nikki "I love my Christian God fearing nuclear family" Haley?

Oh man sometimes I LOVEEEE SC

Arch on
    edited May 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

List of good luck charms/wards against evil. And it's Apotopaic magic if you're looking for the new age term.

Thank you mister.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2010

Slippery slope man, everytime one of these fucking things comes up its just a path to watching commercials before the game actually loads.

There are plenty of examples of much more blatant product placement that have happened in the past.

Sheep on
  • Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Owl City is dumb these lyrics try too hard

Best America on
    right you got it
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mmm 56k modem

hello from Iowa!

skippydumptruck on
    edited May 2010
    mmm 56k modem

hello from Iowa!

oh god why

Arch on
    edited May 2010

There are plenty of examples of much more blatant product placement that have happened in the past.

I can't recall in recent memory having watched an advertisement and got an achievement for it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    mmm 56k modem

hello from Iowa!
    what's poppin', corn

wait isn't Iowa potatoes?

what's pot, toes

Best America on
    right you got it
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mmm 56k modem

hello from Iowa!

Hebufferingbufferingbufferingllo!

Thomamelas on
    edited May 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    mmm 56k modem

hello from Iowa!

oh god why

Iowhut?

firewaterword on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Hm, for some reason I thought Remedy had another publisher for Alan Wake before Microsoft, but I guess I'm mistaken on that point.

Also, I don't know how the compensation for the ads are handled, but if the check was written during the game's development I can see how the cash flow can be attractive, even if the amount is relatively small compared to the amount generated by game sales.

One Thousand Cables on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I even hope to get some cell coverage when we go into town later

yay

skippydumptruck on
    edited May 2010

Hahahahah!

I liked the whole, "I don't care what you call it!" thing with regards to puerto rico. man, fuck those politicians.

i'm way more a fan of progressive intellectual snobbery than I am of bullshit ignorant populist crap.

Dynagrip on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

There can easily be a correlation between game quality and sales. Generally, if a game is very good, it will sell pretty well. However, the way I said it is probably slightly different, in which case what I meant was without strong game sales the game becomes easily forgotten and nobody cares what stupid advertising you put in it.

As for your second point, where do you draw the line? Should a developer take every opportunity available for "easy money"? I don't really mind the addition of advertising in a game so long as it's subtle and doesn't detract from it, but under no circumstance can it add to a game, unless part of the game's premise has something to do with advertising in some way. If something doesn't add to the game, if it doesn't make it better, then I would personally not add it. This is purely from the standpoint of the game itself, divorcing it from the reality that this is a business and not solely an art form. I value the art more than the business, though, so I will generally criticize the business side encroaching on the art side.

If Remedy was seriously in need of this money to continue existing then that's perfectly fine, but I doubt that is the case.

Sarksus on
    edited May 2010

I can't recall in recent memory having watched an advertisement and got an achievement for it.

But I can recall having to use 7Up bottle tops and Duracell batteries to get shit done in Pikmin.

As it stands, the advertisement in Alan Wake is almost separated from the game, doesn't influence the game, and you have to choose to seek it out and watch it.

In exchange you get a measly 5 gamer points.

Sheep on
    edited May 2010

Hahahahah!

I liked the whole, "I don't care what you call it!" thing with regards to puerto rico. man, fuck those politicians.

i'm way more a fan of progressive intellectual snobbery than I am of bullshit ignorant populist crap.

Can I steal that line?

Arch on
    edited May 2010
    Wasn't there a pepsi game? The Dot or something?

Also, didn't that Domino's mascot get his own game too?

firewaterword on
    edited May 2010
    Woo, I found my Mario Galaxy save.

Only 30 stars to go!

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.