As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

20 Comics That Can Change Your Life

• Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    indy cred list

Lucifer, Hellboy, Hellblazer, War Stories, Fables V for Vendetta all come to mind. It basically reads like NPR's most wanted from the last year or so when it talks about comics with the addition of stuff from Gaiman et al to give it some sort of credibility.

So yeah, limed for truth.
    Er....While all of those are fantastic stories, they really aren't "Life-changing".

Oh and Sandman, Transmet, Preacher, Fantastic-Fucking-Four, Alias and Planetary are all verrrrrrrry indy.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Oberon311Oberon311 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Needs Watchmen.

Glad Alias and Transmet were on it though.

I've put maybe the Green Arrow Green Lanters in there though.

Throwing my hat in with the astounding, if dated, Green Arrow/Lantern run in the seventies. Only O'Neil and Adams could make me realize that John Stewart was once the shit.

Oberon311 on
    Cap's dead. I'm with Ares.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    indy cred list

Lucifer, Hellboy, Hellblazer, War Stories, Fables V for Vendetta all come to mind. It basically reads like NPR's most wanted from the last year or so when it talks about comics with the addition of stuff from Gaiman et al to give it some sort of credibility.

Er....While all of those are fantastic stories, they really aren't "Life-changing".

Oh and Sandman, Transmet, Preacher, Fantastic-Fucking-Four, Alias and Planetary are all verrrrrrrry indy.

I was suprosed that I knew about and am even reading a few on the list. I love Preacher and Planetary. I need to pick up Transmet and Alias.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Charmy wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Watchmen is a good story

just not really life-changing

I wouldn't really say Fantastic Four is life changing, either. I'm not saying it's good, but when I think "life-changing", I think "actually makes you think differently than before"

I'd say that Watchmen actually is quite life-changing, if not for the public in general than at the very least for comic readers. It critizes so many of the fundamental aspects of superhero comics that it colors everything the reader has read before.

And, of course, many of those same criticisms can be applied to society at large. With it's political commentary, Watchmen is probably one of the more life-changing comics out there.

Watchmen was mainly life changing for me because it totally and utterly destroyed the way I looked at comics before I read Watchmen.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Transmet is an essential name on that list, but goddamn, no From Hell? No Watchmen, no Dark Knight Returns? This is BS!

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Transmet is an essential name on that list, but goddamn, no From Hell? No Watchmen, no Dark Knight Returns? This is BS!
    The thing is, this isn't a "The Best of Comics" list. All of those earn a spot on that list, but not so much on this one. Life-Changing=/Best Comic Evar.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    dark knight returns wasn't life changing

it's "how to get batman wrong and be a bad influence for the next twenty years"

i mean, it's not a bad story

but batman's like, number 1 rule is "don't use guns"

and he shoots people in it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thems fighting words.

I can see where you're coming from though. Miller's blatant homophobia (towards dudes, anyways) is quite apparent when you see Joker's creepy behavior in that. But if you're going to mention being a bad influence, you can't say that and not mention Watchmen. I mean it wasn't a bad influence but it was misinterpreted quite badly.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    dark knight returns wasn't life changing

it's "how to get batman wrong and be a bad influence for the next twenty years"

i mean, it's not a bad story

but batman's like, number 1 rule is "don't use guns"

and he shoots people in it

Well yeah, isn't the point of it that he's sort of going nuts? The guy took his fight against crime to the point where he raised an army of fanatics and pretty much defied the entire government.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from though. Miller's blatant homophobia (towards dudes, anyways) is quite apparent when you see Joker's creepy behavior in that.
    Actually one of the lines that most made me think is when they're showing interviews of different reactions to Batman's return and one guy goes "I'm all for it, he's doing what needs to be done! Hope he goes after the homos next!" Kinda pulled me up short from the "yay, go Batman!" mindset.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    indy cred list

I don't see how Preacher was really life changing. I thought Lucifer was much deeper, but that's all opinion.

And I'm not really sure what your second "point" is.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Wasn't Usagi Yojimbo in tmnt?

Yeah, he apeared atleast on the TV show I know that much. He might have shown up in some of the comics too. The guy who does Usagi Yojimbo (Stan Sakai) is a big fan of the turtles and their creators if memory serves. I mean, one stars an anthropomorphic bunny and the other stars anthropomorphic ninja.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Needs more Ghost World.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from though. Miller's blatant homophobia (towards dudes, anyways) is quite apparent when you see Joker's creepy behavior in that.
    Actually one of the lines that most made me think is when they're showing interviews of different reactions to Batman's return and one guy goes "I'm all for it, he's doing what needs to be done! Hope he goes after the homos next!" Kinda pulled me up short from the "yay, go Batman!" mindset.

To be fair to Miller, he did use a number of fairly ignorant people in those interview things throughout the book. I've always assumed that was just another one of them.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Proto wrote: »

To be fair to Miller, he did use a number of fairly ignorant people in those interview things throughout the book. I've always assumed that was just another one of them.

There was a lot of it in 300 too, though.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh I agree, I always get some homophobia vibes from Miller's work. I just don't think that's the case in Batman.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the story where Robin died was the first and last time I ever saw comics make mainstream tv and i never saw it again until Cap just died. so thats kinda influencial

i had that issue when it went for over a 100 bucks. if i knew what i knew know about supply and demand sheesh n rice would i have sold it...

if its hot then sell sell sell

Aliens was the other overpriced now worthless book i own. Kind of a dumb comic too.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    the story where Robin died was the first and last time I ever saw comics make mainstream tv and i never saw it again until Cap just died. so thats kinda influencial

did you miss when superman died

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Proto wrote: »

No, I agree - the guy was obviously supposed to be ignorant and probably put in for the express purpose of pulling people like me up short and thinking twice about vigilantism. I meant that i'm a bit surprised to hear Miller called homophobic when he uses homophobia as a sign of ignorance.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

;>.> actually i did. i've been on comic sabbatical for years and i dont recall that making a big national splash. then again, I was probably drunk and wouldnt have noticed if superman came into my bedroom under the whisper of night in real life.

Oh Supes your hair really is as beautiful as it is in the picture...

Rapture!

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Or the whole lesbian Batwoman ordeal? That got quite a bit of mainstream press.

Alright everyone, I have a quick question. Why does everyone love Watchmen so much? I just finished reading it a few weeks back because most comic fans are so in love with it. I thought it was just ok. Maybe it's like a "it matters WHEN you read Catcher in the Rye for whether or not you thought it was a good book" type thing, but I just don't get all of the Watchmen love.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, it depends on how much you enjoy comic books, or personal preference. At the library at my school Watchmen was the only "comic" there, so I read that and requested we get more. Everything that came after felt really strange to read, in stark contrast to this.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Raggaholic wrote: »

Or the whole lesbian Batwoman ordeal? That got quite a bit of mainstream press.

Alright everyone, I have a quick question. Why does everyone love Watchmen so much? I just finished reading it a few weeks back because most comic fans are so in love with it. I thought it was just ok. Maybe it's like a "it matters WHEN you read Catcher in the Rye for whether or not you thought it was a good book" type thing, but I just don't get all of the Watchmen love.

I felt like that

then like four months later I was like "Fuck, I want to read it again."

and then you notice more stuff and it's awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, it depends on how much you enjoy comic books, or personal preference. At the library at my school Watchmen was the only "comic" there, so I read that and requested we get more. Everything that came after felt really strange to read, in stark contrast to this.

I think one of my problems with Watchmen, and why it may not have been life changing for me is that it was the first comic I'd ever really read. So, while it's off shattering all our notions about comic book super heroes, I didn't have any of those notions to smash. I still did enjoy it though.

On a related note, due to this thread I picked up the first two volumes of Transmetropolitan when I saw it at my local bookstore the other day. I devoured those pages. It's amazingly good. It's the first comic that I've really been able to get behind the art. I'm really loving the writing, the characters (especially that glorious gonzo jounralist bastard Jerusalem) and everything else about it. I also really badly want to make the costume that the "Non-tactile society" or whatever people wear.

Basic Summary: Buy it, love it. It will make you into a fan of comics.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    *snip* Transmetropolitan: Basic Summary: Buy it, love it. It will make you into a fan of awesome.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I thoroughly enjoyed Transmetropolitan, and a lot of comics on this list have me thoroughly intrigued. I think I need to do some digging.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I think one of my problems with Watchmen, and why it may not have been life changing for me is that it was the first comic I'd ever really read. So, while it's off shattering all our notions about comic book super heroes, I didn't have any of those notions to smash. I still did enjoy it though.

On a related note, due to this thread I picked up the first two volumes of Transmetropolitan when I saw it at my local bookstore the other day. I devoured those pages. It's amazingly good. It's the first comic that I've really been able to get behind the art. I'm really loving the writing, the characters (especially that glorious gonzo jounralist bastard Jerusalem) and everything else about it. I also really badly want to make the costume that the "Non-tactile society" or whatever people wear.

I agree, I think Watchmen is only amazing to an already long time comic book lover. If you are just getting into comics its not really that amazing (especially since most stuff after it has been effected by it).

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Doodmann wrote: »

I agree, I think Watchmen is only amazing to an already long time comic book lover. If you are just getting into comics its not really that amazing (especially since most stuff after it has been effected by it).

Lies.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I second that emotion. Seriously, it was my first comic and then I jumped into goddamned Ultimate Marvel, son.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You really just need to know what a superhero usually is to appreciate what Moore has did with the book.

Hell, knowledge of American history might be more important than comic knowledge when it comes to understanding Watchmen.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    indy cred list

Read my mind.

I'd rather reread Superman: Secret Identity than 80% of the books on that list.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I guess I'll just never get the Watchmen, then. I've been reading comics off and on since the late 80s, but I just didn't see any greatness in the book. Ah well.

I'm reading Maus now. Good stuff.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ok, just finished reading Transmetropolitan. Shit, they were right about that one.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    i just finished watchmen like 30 seconds ago.
    what the hell are you guys talking about?
    i got chills in that last panel
    so subtle
    a lot of subtle meaningful shit like that
    I probably missed a lot.
    and the over all message? id say it definately got me thinking and i think thats the best a book could do in terms of "chaning your life"

Drano on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, the Journal? I saw that and I was all

"OH SHIT"

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    indy cred list

Read my mind.

I'd rather reread Superman: Secret Identity than 80% of the books on that list.

I'd rather Morrison JLA than most of the junk on that list

Algertman on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Though I'm not gonna pretend I've read even half of what's on that list that's not from the Big Two, "life-changing" books tend to be ones that are easier to relate to by the reader (YMMV). And, apart from Vertigo (which is almost all "Dark Fantasy", whatever that means), neither DC nor Marvel publish non-superhero comics. So, the "lol indy" comments might be a little unfair.

But, fuck, even Jimmy Corrigan isn't listed.

Sure, it's depressing. Miserable even, but it's one of the best damn comics ever published. Cerebus is something special, too. Well, half of it.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    well notice each comic was chosen by a different person.
    people probably just wanted to pick something unique and not waste their opinion on something everybody already likes.
    i imagine the thought process was like "hmm, watchmen? nah someone else will probably pick that."

Drano on
  • Options
    MosBenMosBen Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think at least part of the reason things like Watchmen and From Hell aren't on the list is that no matter how important he is, it'd be pretty boring to have a top 20 list with half of them being Alan Moore's books. Granted, this is partly contradicted by having two Bendis books on there, but I'm sure I could squirm out of that if I had to. Besides, I long ago stopped expecting every Top __ list ever produced to be the same list I would make. Alias definitely didn't change my life, but it's certainly a good book and an interesting pick, so I'm not concerned that they didn't include something I might have liked better.

MosBen on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    After getting the first Kabuki book I can see why it got it's place on the list. It's at the very least good, and I can see how the themes in the book would resonate with some people pretty strongly.

Pb on