As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There are many Fantasies; but this, like the last, was Final [FFXI]

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Not going to be playing much this weekend, if at all. Company is in town.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Got my Coral Earrings and Amemet Mantle. Now, need to farm about 100k for Ruby (+4 STR) Rings. Got a Sun Ring (+3 STR) with my last 10k.

Tag wrote: »
    Fishing :P

Aside from that BCNMs and Meat / Sapling Farming?

Ladybug Wings if you can't think of anything else?

Edit: You should only need ~2mil to get to decent levels.

Why Ladybug Wings, btw?

KiTA on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    12k gil a stack in a repeatable quest with a 33% drop rate?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    12k gil a stack in a repeatable quest with a 33% drop rate?

Yep this.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Seeing_Spots

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • EdwinOfThayEdwinOfThay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just redid Royal Jelly.

First time we lost because we went Whm/Rdm(me) Drk, and Blm. Well that didn't work so well.

Second time blm went as war. Kicked so much ass, and since it was my orb I got Phalanx and Refresh. :mrgreen:

EdwinOfThay on
    edited May 2010
    What gear should I be looking for from 70-75? Fourth Brunne Set?

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    Ugh, 34 nin finally. Sooooo tempted to gimp it up and just quit at 37... BRD/NIN and COR/NIN don't need those other 3-12 /nin levels anyway right? ;P

'course the fact that I don't have a single level capped character is starting to piss me off.
    KiTA wrote: »
    What gear should I be looking for from 70-75? t Set?

As a general rule, the AN pieces are pretty good.

You may also want to consult:
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?fjob=13&mid=119991725962317515&page=1
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?fjob=13&mid=1194656127171325908&page=1

Tag on
    edited May 2010
    AN? Allied Notes?

That's the Fourth Brunne Set I linked, right? Or is there a better one.

I just barely hit Bronze Star $, so... I have at least 3 weeks to go.

Did a campaign. SAM/DNC. 5 NMs and died 3 or 4 times. Still walked out with 2130 XP and 1066 AN. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    Just redid Royal Jelly.

First time we lost because we went Whm/Rdm(me) Drk, and Blm. Well that didn't work so well.

Second time blm went as war. Kicked so much ass, and since it was my orb I got Phalanx and Refresh. :mrgreen:

Congrats.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So... I got into a Dynamis group a couple of weeks ago, got my Sandoria win, still need... everything else. After the missions and what not, I thought that raiding in this game was going to be a world of hurt. While it is really hard, it's a ton of fun.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    edited May 2010
    Here I sit at my desk, wishing I was at home logged in. So bored.

Edit 2 and one half hours to go.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2010
    XP Party, on imps and Jnuns. Woo. Will hit 72 in about 10 minutes or so, then 73 in... about 3-4 hours.

Ended about 30 minutes ago, and I'm now officially 73. Aiming for 75 tonight... maybe.

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    What are the quests for renaming Puppets and Wyverns, btw?

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2010
    Bleh, party was meh. I was at 126ish polearm, left the party at 139ish. Was fighitng L65 colibri.

2.6k till 74. Going to do that in Beau G Campaign.

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    Ding 74. Took a while. Beau G (As an aside to mean "past" is the dumbest fucking thing ever) campaign is made of ass and fail. I am so sick of Shadowwing and his little AOE spamming cockbags.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Even with CW2 I can't dance fast enough nor gain TP fast enough (and I'm a goddamned Samurai) to counteract 300-900 damage AOE every few seconds. Others are. Maybe it's a L73/74 thing, and things will get easier at L75, who knows?

KiTA on
  • tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ding 74. Took a while. Beau G (As an aside to mean "past" is the dumbest fucking thing ever)

I guess. Except, you know, it doesn't mean "past." It's the "shadowreign era."

tetsuoZshima on
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So apparently the NA trial is "currently not available."

I will never understand why some companies hate money.

Paragon on
    edited May 2010
    Paragon wrote: »
    So apparently the NA trial is "currently not available."

I will never understand why some companies hate money.

I believe that's cause it's the end of month billing maintenance period.

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    Okay my girlfriend and I might still be interested in buying it since it's only 15 bucks, people still play it on Carbuncle? :)

Also, in the OP it says that FFXI hates Steam...so I shouldn't buy it there? I'm not sure I quite understand what "run it as Apradar and rename it FFXI" really means, can I still buy it over Stream, then?

It's been a long time since I played FFXI, and I remember PlayOnline being a piece of garbage, do you still have to deal with that?

So many questions...

Paragon on
    edited May 2010
    I got my copy from Steam I believe, and it works fine.

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    I got my copy from Steam I believe, and it works fine.

Alright, sweet.

Carbuncle it is. Hopefully Steam will actually allow me to buy it...sigh. Region mismatch is the dumbest thing.

Paragon on
    edited May 2010
    Steam works fine. Carbuncle is still a go. I will be in game this evening.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2010
    In game now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2010
    The game is so much better with a cleaner font pack inserted in. So much easier on the eyes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2010
    I'm having trouble getting the game bought for us, Steam is being lame because I can't uncheck "I'm currently living in this country (Norway)." It's not the first time I'm having trouble just because I'm using my Norwegian credit card (which works fine most places and is in fact more advanced than anything over here in Canada).

Direct2Drive does the same thing, Gamestop's download service is horrendous.

I'm going to try to call my bank in Canada (Scotiabank) and see why I can't just use my debitcard online.

Stupid systems, I want to give you my monies dangit.

Paragon on
    edited June 2010
    I has a L75. It is pretty.

KiTA on
    edited June 2010
    Drk War
    Drk Dnc
    Whm Sch
    Sch Whm
    Dnc Nin
    Dnc Nin

I was tanking as the Dark Warrior. Not a bad party considering what I had to work with.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2010
    So. 75.

What do I do to start endgame stuff? Or should I just go with my original plan -- work on Dragoon to 40 as a sub?

KiTA on
    edited June 2010
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2010

So do I just ask around my social LS for Dynamis LSes that will accept newbies?

KiTA on
    edited June 2010
    Basically yeah.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2010
    Don't forget merits! Only something like 1 million EXP to go before you *really* level cap :P
    ( 5/5 strength is 360k exp iirc, another 360k to cap G.Katana and Polearm, and 370k for job specific merits. Then 490k in optional things like HP, +crit, and defensive ability, if I added everything right.) That should take you 50-150 hours of party play.

There's also a lot of gear you can get before endgame events. The campaign (AN) gear I think you said you were already going for but there's also a bunch of NM stuff and popped NMs and BCNMs. You could camp Lava and Kush's ring set if you want to save a bunch of gil on sniper rings, for instance. If you can get Sea access you can go after the Soboro G.Katana, although that might be worth waiting to see what they do with the level cap raises coming this month (in theory).

So if you can't find a dynamis run right away, don't despair, there's still plenty you can do.

Tag on
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And we don't know if the new content will completely negate any old content. No point in busting you ass for lvl 75 gear for a month if there's gonna be easy to acquire lvl 76 gear thats 95% effective. We've never had a level cap raise and while I think ffxi had great horizontal advancement, they might be ready to release a new flood of items.

draw4wild on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    draw4wild wrote: »
    And we don't know if the new content will completely negate any old content. No point in busting you ass for lvl 75 gear for a month if there's gonna be easy to acquire lvl 76 gear thats 95% effective. We've never had a level cap raise and while I think ffxi had great horizontal advancement, they might be ready to release a new flood of items.

Errr...there's been many level cap raises. 50 was the first cap when the game launched in Japan.

Level 76 gear certainly won't make 75 gear worthless; thats just not how itemization works in FFXI. Many jobs have stuff they can get at like 30 that is still good at 70.

But you can bet it'll be better than what is immediately available to a fresh 75.

I would agree though that if you're going to try to gear up in Dynamis or something now it might not be the best use of your time unless you just really want to do them. I never got the chance to see any of them and I hope when the cap is 99 there is still some reason to go back in to at least have had the experience.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited June 2010
    Yeah, that's my thing about grinding for gear right now -- all signs point to L75-80 being small group content like MMM, and there will be L75-80 gear. So why would I haul ass to farm 5 million gil for a single L75 upgrade when I can wait 2 weeks and start grinding "Abyssea Scrotums" or whatever for L80 gear?

I was thinking of waiting for the IRL Friends in my LS to finish moving and then asking them to introduce me to their Dyna guild...

KiTA on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd farm that money anyway :lol:

You'll always find use for gil. Maybe just don't drop it on that equipment until we see fully what the next tiers of gear will bring.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd farm that money anyway :lol:

You'll always find use for gil. Maybe just don't drop it on that equipment until we see fully what the next tiers of gear will bring.

That's my thought. I've been farming per usual (well, maybe a little lightly); but I've more or less just been saving it so I'm ready to level when the time comes. Well.. except the potent belts I keep wasting trying to augment, lol.

tetsuoZshima on
    edited June 2010
    No loggin in for me on Tuesdays these days. Just now got home from the volunteer meeting.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SE should have used this version for the Promies:

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)