As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's Our Generation's Evilness?

• HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    It was extremely taboo back in the day too, but as things expanded for the youth the drinking came out of the closet (as it were). So now you've got shit where going to college for some people is defined by the parties they go to.

When, in the entire history of the Western University, have the students not drunk?

Also: see Mad Men for a portrayal of our grandparents' relationship to alcohol. I'll give you a hint: it involved a lot of drinking at work, a lot of drinking and driving, and a lot of getting absolutely three sheets to the wind at cocktail parties.

...Yeah.
    People are going to continue to get smashed until the sun burns out of the sky.

Hachface on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    It was extremely taboo back in the day too, but as things expanded for the youth the drinking came out of the closet (as it were). So now you've got shit where going to college for some people is defined by the parties they go to.

When, in the entire history of the Western University, have the students not drunk?

Also: see Mad Men for a portrayal of our grandparents' relationship to alcohol. I'll give you a hint: it involved a lot of drinking at work, a lot of drinking and driving, and a lot of getting absolutely three sheets to the wind at cocktail parties.

...Yeah.
    People are going to continue to get smashed until the sun burns out of the sky.

It seems like I heard once that the worlds oldest known written recipe is for beer.

Getting a good buzz on is pretty much hardwired into us.

Drake on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It will probably be the ignoring of global warming, and the really kind of almost comical destruction of the environment in many places

Yeah, that's what we'll be remembered for, and hated for. We had the resources to deal with it, and we did almost nothing. 50-100 years in the future, that will likely be our greatest (and worst) legacy.

Melkster on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I believe it will be that we played video games with our hands, they will be like baby toys to them.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would like to say religion. At least in the US.

I mean isn't there a pretty good amount of young people in the US just giving up on it?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    It seems like I heard once that the worlds oldest known written recipe is for beer.

Getting a good buzz on is pretty much hardwired into us.

There's a good amount of evidence that the first organized agriculture, settlement and commerce - i.e. civilization - came about because of the infrastructure needed to produce large amounts of beer and wine. Basically, human civilization rose out of the need to get more people drunk.

Phillishere on
  • LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    So I was looking through a collection of sexist vintage ads, and I thought to myself, "isn't it weird that so many people went along with this and didn't realize how wrong they'd be 50 years later?"

Honestly, with a little tweaking I could see some of those ads coming out right now.
    vintageads6.jpgEvony8.jpg
    vintageads24.jpgbk%20ad.jpg

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I mean isn't there a pretty good amount of young people in the US just giving up on it?

Mostly they just come back to it after college, when they're feeling scared again, but make it "personal" so that they aren't under as many restrictions.

Incenjucar on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Mostly they just come back to it after college, when they're feeling scared again, but make it "personal" so that they aren't under as many restrictions.

Also distressing to me at least, is that a lot of these people end up in some sort of prosperity gospel too. I grew up Catholic and loathe the things it does on a global scale. But good god I just here Creflo Dollar and I want to break something.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Going to go with apathy

meh

Seriously, though, this is pretty much it. I mean, I throw out a half jug of milk because I can't decide if it smells bad or not, and there are people in my city who starve every night. It makes me a shitty person, I guess, because I just don't care. My brain can only account for the problems of so many people on any kind of personal level, and the hungry population of this city, let alone 3rd world countries just aren't a part of my monkeysphere. It's not my problem, and I doubt I'll feel any different at 70. And the youth of that generation will say "man, what a wasteful, self-centered prick", and I'll tell them to get off my lawn.

Perhaps a bit ironically, though, I'm in favor of letting the government take money from my paycheck to help these people.

Delzhand on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My vote is for manogamy.

Most people are still manogamous. I could certainly see my 70 year old self going "When I was young we actually considered only marrying one partner at a time!"

It fits, there are some people who are poly now (as some who believed in womens rights back then), just in this case it's not a bad thing to be mongamous.

Or it might be, I dunno, damn kids.

Sipex on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Eating horrible food that fucks up the environment and our health.
    Still being crazy for money, even if it fucks up third world countries.
    Ostracizing anyone who has somewhat different views on sex.
    Not understanding the culture of other countries at all.

This.

As with the current old generation, I'm sure with our generation there will not be some consensus on what is hated. Some older people are still racist or hate gays but thats not all of them. For our generation I'm sure we will still have some people hating homosexuals but I hope that the overt racism that we have today is gone when we are old.

Edit: I whole heartedly agree with what Delzhand said and I feel the same way.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Going to go with apathy

meh

Seriously, though, this is pretty much it. I mean, I throw out a half jug of milk because I can't decide if it smells bad or not, and there are people in my city who starve every night. It makes me a shitty person, I guess, because I just don't care. My brain can only account for the problems of so many people on any kind of personal level, and the hungry population of this city, let alone 3rd world countries just aren't a part of my monkeysphere. It's not my problem, and I doubt I'll feel any different at 70. And the youth of that generation will say "man, what a wasteful, self-centered prick", and I'll tell them to get off my lawn.

Perhaps a bit ironically, though, I'm in favor of letting the government take money from my paycheck to help these people.

Yeah, it's apathy but it isn't actively destructive apathy. I can see our generation not care as much about taxes, defenitely in Europe. And I can also see us voting for equality for gays, different religions, etc. I'd say that the time of grand military interventions is going to be over for us. The generations after ours will look at us and say "How could you not care about this? Why didn't you stop them?", but then again we aren't a generation actively pushing for measures to fuck people over (looking at you, Baby Boomers). We just don't care one way or another.

All generations before us have had to deal with near constant war. The Greatest had of course, WWI and WWII. Baby Boomers had Vietnam. Our generation just about got to the ride to Iraq and Afghanistan but the losses are nothing compared to previous wars. We have been raised in relative comfort and safety. While we are way more progressive then our parents or grandparents, we don't have the same sense of sacrifice in us anymore. So you know, while I'd totally donate to charity and push for social justice, I probably wouldn't grab a rifle and volunteer for war if some country somewhere that wouldn't be my own was being attacked.

DarkCrawler on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    So, all these jokes about massive furry popularity in the future remind me of The Forever War.

Except in that book it was teh gays

As I recall, that book also required soldiers to participate in mass orgies with other soldiers to relieve stress and promote group cohesion.

:winky:

emnmnme on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I was looking through a collection of sexist vintage ads, and I thought to myself, "isn't it weird that so many people went along with this and didn't realize how wrong they'd be 50 years later?"

Honestly, with a little tweaking I could see some of those ads coming out right now.

The connections to 2 and 3 yeah, but the first one is an Old Spice commercial from their clearly humor-based ads satirizing that type of ad. That's like putting a picture of Ross Perot next to a picture of Tina Fey as Sarah Palin.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited May 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

The connections to 2 and 3 yeah, but the first one is an Old Spice commercial from their clearly humor-based ads satirizing that type of ad. That's like putting a picture of Ross Perot next to a picture of Tina Fey as Sarah Palin.

Oh the Old Spice ad is hilarious, don't get me wrong. I can barely breathe from laughter when I watch that series.

At the same time, I'm not sure the intense celebration of manliness is 100% satire, and I'm definitely not sure that everyone who watches it will recognise the satire. It's the "I don't use them, because I'm a woman. Hah hah! Just kidding, I'm not a woman" that gets me.

I hope that in 50 years time people will look at that ad and think, "wow, I can't believe they actually thought that joking about how sexist they were would make it okay to continue being sexist."

Lieberkuhn on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If some people don't get the satire, I'd say that's just - what - reverse Poe's Law I guess?

I mean Republican Conventions - the shit which is celebrated and staged their, in complete seriousness - is terrifying. Or those freaky religious camps. It would be funny if it weren't completely serious.

electricitylikesme on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can't blame the satirist for the stupid people they're making fun of. First comes the stupid people, then the satirical response.

I mean I guess more idiots who don't get the joke could be influenced by the satire, but once I again I tend to blame the idiots in that situation.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a sneaking suspicion it will be how we are dealing with Mexican immigration.

EDIT: Also, I like the idea someone said about privacy. I doubt they'll think it's evil, but they'll probably see privacy as cute and silly. I hope so.

As for teh gheys, I don't think so. That's already got traction. I mean, obviously not a solved problem, but my guess is that 50 years from now people will remark on how, relatively speaking, we moved pretty quickly from homosexuals being something hardly anyone knew about or thought about, to something that was generally accepted and treated respectfully.
    Man, fuck disc golf.
    Man what?

Yar on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll throw my hat in with environmentalism and/or sentient rights. I look forward to the day when my grandkids look at me funny talking about being able to buy highly flammable liquids through a pump on a street corner.

moniker on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    I'm kind of confused as to why people seem to think we should get rid of privacy. There are plenty of situations where it's unwise to let people know specific things about you. Maybe if we completely purge our society of homophobia, transphobia, racism and sexism then we won't need so much privacy, but until then there are specific groups of people who benefit greatly from having things about them not known.

Shivahn on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Adrien wrote: »

Although you just wasted a half-hour of my life.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited May 2010

Although you just wasted a half-hour of my life.

Muahahaha!

Lieberkuhn on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Um, did you guys forget about the Twenties?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the biggest thing will be living above our means.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Religion - I can hope, right?

Sex Stuff - I wouldn't be surprised if most taboos broke down over time, especially if we get VR or the like; pedophiles, zoophiles, etc. are a lot less 'icky' if they aren't actually hurting anyone/thing. Also expect the eventual legalization of polygamy, though that'll be tough.

Meat - Definitely agree that artificial meat will make completely change the way eating animal flesh is perceived. And old people will rail against it. This is pretty much inevitable, I have zero doubt about this one.

"Playing with life" - Whether it's genetics, cybernetics, uploading your mind into a computer to become immortal...this stuff will not sit well with a lot of people. We get mind uploading and AI around, expect a hard battle for equal rights, or for 'the internet' to become its own nation with its own rules and laws.

Then again, I don't plan to be one of the crazy old people on any of these issues.

Edit: Also, expect a very strange legal battle over whether or not mind uploading is suicide or attaining immortality. (Assuming you do it all at once. Gradual conversion to a cybernetic brain that can then move freely through networks would be less questionable, I imagine.)

Kamar on
  • Dead ComputerDead Computer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Are you guys nuts

The number one evilness that defines this generation is our self-absorbed narcism and obsession with ourselves, brought upon us by the social networks and myspace.

Our generation is the most shameless, antisocial, entitled, exploitative, arrogant, delusional and envious generation that we've seen in a long time.

You got these "social" networks where people add you as a "friend" but most of the time they actually don't really give a shit about you and just want to have a high friend count and secretly want you to be envious of their super awesome action packed lives they post on their profile pages because they are envious of other people they saw doing the same thing.

And somehow, no one even questions this, or how healthy it really is.

Hopefully someday future generations will look back and see just how wrong we really were. Maybe there, things could be different.

Dead Computer on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are you guys nuts

The number one evilness that defines this generation is our self-absorbed narcism and obsession with ourselves, brought upon us by the social networks and myspace.

Our generation is the most shameless, antisocial, entitled, exploitative, arrogant, delusional and envious generation that we've seen in a long time.

You got these "social" networks where people add you as a "friend" but most of the time they actually don't really give a shit about you and just want to have a high friend count and secretly want you to be envious of their super awesome action packed lives they post on their profile pages because they are envious of other people they saw doing the same thing.

Hopefully someday future generations will look back and see just how wrong we really were. Maybe there, things could be different.

this has already happened it was called the 80's

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    edited May 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    Are you guys nuts

This is like the 80's but with high technology.

Dead Computer on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And '70s. And '60s. And '50s. And '40s. And '30s. And '20s. And '10s. And '00s. Don't even get me started on the gay nineties.

Couscous on
    edited May 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    Are you guys nuts

This is like the 80's but with high technology.

You sound like Socrates. Lousy kids today with their papyrus and their alphabets.

moniker on
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Self obsession has been building since the early 20th century and just continues on. It's nothing new.

There's a good doc named 'Century of the Self', for more information on this.

Lucid on
    edited May 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    Self obsession has been building since the early 20th century and just continues on. It's nothing new.

Yeah, people were a lot more humble back when they were ruled by the physical incarnations of gods.

moniker on
    edited May 2010
    Satanism is worship of the self, and the belief that you are your own god

Dead Computer on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

O.o

Wouldn't this qualify everyone who isn't religious as a "Satanist"? I mean, if I have a 'god' it is definitely myself; I'm my own ultimate moral authority.

Kamar on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not quite. Satanists have religious rituals and belief structures just like any religion. Just because they are the centre of their universe does not mean they are non-religious.

Magus` on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Actually Satanism is just plagiarized Objectivism.

Hachface on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Lucid wrote: »

Yeah, people were a lot more humble back when they were ruled by the physical incarnations of gods.

Or when they claimed that hte vast majority of humanity will be going to hell why they will be doing A-OK.

Couscous on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

Actually Objectivism is just Satanism without the charisma and with manly-looking women.

Fix'd it for you. I'm an atheist, I'd know this stuff.

Synthesis on