As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    donkyhotay wrote: »
    OK so Arch and OpenBox are outstanding. Trying to find a way to force a title on an application (i.e. make Chromium always show up in the pager as Chromium instead of the current page's title) and my google-fu is apparently too weak.

Never used openbox but Arch is the best distro I know of for learning. I used it for a few months before switching back to ubuntu (I'm lazy and arch is too much work) but I feel much more confident about manually modifying my system because of it.

It definitely reminds me of learning Linux and FreeBSD in the late 90s/early 2000's - definitely manual mode for everything all the time. I really enjoy the minimalist way Arch comes off the presses.

Anyways, still searching for a solution to forcing window titles in OpenBox - anyone have any ideas?

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    Ugh. Alright guys, need some advice.

I'm running Crunchbang 10 alpha 1. I'm having some trouble mounting a portable HDD. Usually what happens is I turn it on, and it auto-mounts it. In previous #!s, it would auto-detect it and add it to the "favorites" side pane in Pcmanfm and I'd have to click it, but it was still pretty painless.

Recently, it's taken to popping up a dialogue telling me I don't have the privs to mount it. I've found that if I just turn it off and on often enough, it'll work its problem out by itself and just work, but it's annoying that it's happening at all. How can I force this bitch to mount?

I can see the device using lsusb, but I can't mount it because it's "not a block device".

Unfortunately I can't be much more specific because it's working properly at the moment, but... any general tips on this sorta thing?

Are they using the new GIO pcmanfm? I know the latest Thunar uses a different mechanism then the Xfce Desktop to mount drives, so you get that problem when trying to unmount drives in Thunar that were mounted on the Desktop (automounting also breaks).

Nope. The openbox version, at least, just uses Thunar. No "desktop" that I'm aware of.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I may be a new convert.

I stumbled across a link for puppy-linux, seemed cool, so I made a usb bootstick. 4 hours later, I'm dualbooting into Ubuntu.

I enjoy this.

Keamien on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Here is a recommendation from me guys. It's pretty much openbox + lucid + some different nice apps.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/3384/madbox-liveusb-toram/

It has a nice skin and comes with nice apps. It's completely unprofessional but is a good default install.

Lynx based live cd + install iso(~350mb) here:

http://download.tuxfamily.org/madbox/madbox-10.04/

zeeny on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Keamien wrote: »
    I may be a new convert.

I stumbled across a link for puppy-linux, seemed cool, so I made a usb bootstick. 4 hours later, I'm dualbooting into Ubuntu.

I enjoy this.

cautionary.png

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Ok, so I'm running into tons of questions.

Can anyone point me at a good source of information for using ubuntu, or linux specifically.

For instance, I have an executable file, unetbootin, to be specific, and I want to run it. It's the linux version of the file, but ubuntu says I don't have an app installed for executable files. Should I run it with Wine, or what?

Keamien on
  • darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Can anyone point me at a good source of information for using ubuntu, or linux specifically.

For instance, I have an executable file, unetbootin, to be specific, and I want to run it. It's the linux version of the file, but ubuntu says I don't have an app installed for executable files. Should I run it with Wine, or what?

Stick to the package manager when using Ubuntu.

darkphoenix22 on
  • RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Whereas Windows relies heavily on filename extensions for such things, Unix/Linux systems don't consider a file to be executable unless its permissions are set accordingly.

If you're certain that this is an actual executable (not a package), it may be that the permissions on the file are not set to allow execution. You can set the file to be executable in the right click->properties window, or navigate to its location in a shell and issue a "chmod +x thisfileiwanttorun". Your preference.

Edit: As darkphoenix22 stated, it is generally wise to use the package manager for installing software when possible. This makes it easy to keep your system up to date, and to uninstall software you don't need anymore.

RSP on
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the help.

I found the program I was looking for in the software manager.

Keamien on
    edited May 2010
    You'll also want to keep an eye on both the Ubuntu forums and linuxquestions.org. Excellent all-round places to get info.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Has anyone tried !#'s new alpha release?

http://crunchbanglinux.org/downloads/statler/alpha-01/

Impersonator on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I use it on my netbook. I tried the XFCE version of it and it works really well for me.

Edit: On a side note Unetbootin wouldn't work right for me with it so I just used the dd procedure to write it to my USB stick.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure which version I want to try out. :(

Impersonator on
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure which version I want to try out. :(

Go Xfce. It's Unix in a GUI. :P

darkphoenix22 on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hasn't that alpha been around since March? Darkphoenix said something about it taking forever in the last thread. How much development is actually going on over in crunchland?

Frem on
    edited May 2010

I mentioned it in the previous thread I believe, if you have a radeon 5xxx, forget about using the ATI drivers with the version of X it ships with.

Edit: everybody thinking about trying crunchbang should try madbox instead, if 32bit works for you.

zeeny on
    edited May 2010
    zeeny wrote: »

I mentioned it in the previous thread I believe, if you have a radeon 5xxx, forget about using the ATI drivers with the version of X it ships with.

Edit: everybody thinking about trying crunchbang should try madbox instead, if 32bit works for you.

Does Madbox use the PAE kernel? Just curious.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010

Does Madbox use the PAE kernel? Just curious.

Do you judge distributions solely on PAE support? It says right in the Google search result that it's based on Ubuntu. ;-)

Frem on
    edited May 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    Do you judge distributions solely on PAE support? It says right in the Google search result that it's based on Ubuntu. ;-)

I was just curious. It's pretty similar to infinityOS but it uses a lot of the Xfce applications which are kinda crappy. Xfce is great and its included utilities are awesome but the surrounding applications are meh. Using the Gnome applications doesn't hurt system resource usage as they aren't always running, but you lose a lot of functionally by using the Xfce applications. The Gnome applications integrate completely into Xfce as well.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    Dude, you need to stop mentioning InfiniBLARGHBLARGH

Impersonator on
    edited May 2010
    Dude, you need to stop mentioning InfiniBLARGHBLARGH

Well I keep on getting criticized for it so...

I try not to mention it unless someone else implies it or mentions it themselves. I also try not to directly recommend it to anyone when they ask a question about Linux or another distribution, unless it's a question involving media centers or audio/video media. I can always try harder, I guess. :P

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    Do try harder, I don't think I'm alone on this but it's getting slightly irritating. Why not just a link in your signature? I think that'd achieve your goal better.

Impersonator on
    edited May 2010
    Do try harder, I don't think I'm alone on this but it's getting slightly irritating. Why not just a link in your signature? I think that'd achieve your goal better.

I don't like explicitly advertising it (I prefer *willful* discussion) but I'll think about it.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    Thanks, keep in mind it's just a suggestion, though. :)

Anyway, I'm now trying to decide between trying out Moblin's Ubuntu 9.10 based release or Crunchbang's latest version. :(

Impersonator on
    edited May 2010
    I don't like explicitly advertising it ...

As opposed to name dropping it at every opportunity? ;-)

Frem on
    edited May 2010
    I don't like explicitly advertising it ...

As opposed to name dropping it at every opportunity? ;-)

Like I said, I have no problem discussing it when it is mentioned or implied. :P

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010

Yup. I've been using it as my primary for about two-ish months now. Pretty much ever since it came out.

I'm using the Openbox version. Plenty fast, all of the crunchbang goodness you've come to know and love. There were a couple of pretty big bugs for me: First, it doesn't shut down properly. Either to reset or halting. Second, every time it boots into the OS (hard boot, not openbox "rebooting"), the time is set incorrectly. I think that's my fault, since I set it to something weird during the initial install, but I can't find a way to set it and make it "stick".

So now, every time I reboot I have to use the "date" command. Not a huge problem I guess, since this is linux we're talking about and I haven't had to reboot in over 50 days now.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited May 2010
    Yup. I've been using it as my primary for about two-ish months now. Pretty much ever since it came out.

I'm using the Openbox version. Plenty fast, all of the crunchbang goodness you've come to know and love. There were a couple of pretty big bugs for me: First, it doesn't shut down properly. Either to reset or halting. Second, every time it boots into the OS (hard boot, not openbox "rebooting"), the time is set incorrectly. I think that's my fault, since I set it to something weird during the initial install, but I can't find a way to set it and make it "stick".

So now, every time I reboot I have to use the "date" command. Not a huge problem I guess, since this is linux we're talking about and I haven't had to reboot in over 50 days now.

Did you try setting up NTP? It won't fix the base problem but it'll keep your clock in check.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    en... tee.... pee?

I shall have to look into this.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited May 2010
    en... tee.... pee?

I shall have to look into this.

Network Time Protocol ;P
    The ntp daemon ntpd is far more subtle as it calculates the drift of your system clock and continuously adjusts it in small increments. Using ntpd there are no large corrections that could lead to inconsistent logs for instance. The cost is a little processing power and memory, but for a modern system this is negligible.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime#Command%20Line%20ntpd

darkphoenix22 on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Real men set a 'ntpdate' cron job.

theSquid on
    edited May 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    Real men set a 'ntpdate' cron job.

Lazy men let dpkg-reconfigure do it for you.

darkphoenix22 on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hm, that Madbox looks nice, but I know I won't like XFCE, unless it has changed dramatically. Maybe I'll just go Archbang next. My system is getting a little crowdy.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    This is an interesting benchmark comparing Arch and Ubuntu Lucid in terms of speed (both were tested using Gnome). There appears to be no difference. Likely, most of the difference in speed that users see comes from using another desktop environment, in lieu of Gnome.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_arch_faster&num=1

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Hm, that Madbox looks nice, but I know I won't like XFCE, unless it has changed dramatically. Maybe I'll just go Archbang next. My system is getting a little crowdy.

The one based on 10.4 boots into openbox + tint2 by default, but yeah, it does use the xfce desktop for the applets or config apps.
    I carry an archived .config folder to all my new installs and there are always applets or tools I need to replace, so xfce or no I'm not too bothered.
    Anyway, I'm a bit annoyed with the linux world right now, because of the blank screen bug in 10.4 and EVERYTHING based on 10.4, because of the lack of 64bits indie distros and because all my custom isos keep installing the fucking open office;o(
    I'm going to self mutilate and try slack 13.1.

zeeny on
    edited May 2010
    Anyway, I'm a bit annoyed with the linux world right now, because of the blank screen bug in 10.4 and EVERYTHING based on 10.4, because of the lack of 64bits indie distros and because all my custom isos keep installing the fucking open office;o(
    I'm going to self mutilate and try slack 13.1.

You can probably get any Ubuntu-based distro working by disabling "nouveau" and using "vesa" as the video driver.

Just boot the Live CD using vesa/video safe mode and boot the resulting install in recovery mode and set it to blacklist "nouveau" and use "vesa". Then just install the Nvidia binary drivers using Jockey/Hardware Drivers.

Instructions (they differ ever so slightly from my suggestion above, but they result in the same thing): http://duopetalflower.blogspot.com/2010/04/installing-and-running-nvidia-inside.html

<rant>Using nouveau by default in Lucid was the worst decision ever. It is nowhere near ready for widespread use. Someone should be fired.</rant>

Aside: If you're using remastersys to make your ISO, there's a line in it you can uncomment to stop OpenOffice from installing (it's line 241 BTW, the language packs don't get downloaded if you tell remastersys to clear the package lists before it makes the Live CD). Alternately, just click skip when Ubiquity starts downloading the language packs (at around 85% done). The language packs are what pull in OpenOffice because of dependencies.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    If there's something I hate about 10.04 is how they locked down the GNOME panel, you can't add or remove anything from it. That's the kind of bullshit that drove me away from Jolicloud (walled garden concept).

Impersonator on
    edited May 2010
    If there's something I hate about 10.04 is how they locked down the GNOME panel, you can't add or remove anything from it. That's the kind of bullshit that drove me away from Jolicloud (walled garden concept).

What are you talking about? You can still unlock stuff and add/remove applets. Besides, all the applets on the panel defaulted to locked since like, over four years ago?

Frem on
    edited May 2010

What are you talking about? You can still unlock stuff and add/remove applets. Besides, all the applets on the panel defaulted to locked since like, over four years ago?

Woops, forgot to add that I'm running UNR. :(

Impersonator on
    edited May 2010

This is why Xfce is better (than Gnome). No distros actually lock it. Everything is customizible. :P

Edit: Added qualifier.

darkphoenix22 on