As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] No Provenance

simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a differencetoday, a differenceRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Critical Failures
"For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion."

- - -

"We went west. We went through massive canyons, dryer than they were deep. We roughed mountains, so high they held the angels. We knew fields so long they must've surely circled the Earth their length over. We saw oceans and sinkpits, we drank from His pools, and we felt their cool refrain on our faces. We walked until our horses gave out, and our feet went ragged, and we knew, yet, we were not but a fraction of the road to be traveled, a bead of sweat towards the work that had to be done."

- - -

"You got two choices, boy - I'm'll count to three, and you either got that gun on the ground and you're prayin' to the King I don't blow yer head off right here, or you still standin' on the shoulders of demons. Either way, that thing's still pointed at me in three seconds, I'm gonna get real ornery, boy, REAL ornery. Look me in the eyes - God's will is in these eyes. You know it, Praise Be.

Don't make me waste a bullet.

One.

I'm countin', boy.

Two."

- - -

DOGS IN THE VINEYARD

dogs.jpg

Dogs in the Vineyard is about God’s Watchdogs, young men and women called to preserve the Faithful in a hostile frontier territory. They travel from town to isolated town, carrying mail, news, and doctrine, healing the sick, supporting the weary, and pronouncing judgment upon the wicked. Sharpshooters, Cowboy-Priests, and Holy Horsemen alike - a town welcomes you with celebration and honor, but what you’re there to do is stir up its dirt and lay bare its sins.

The setting is a fantasy inspired by pre-statehood Utah, the Deseret Territory, toward the middle of the 19th century. Picture a landscape of high mountains, icy rivers and cedar woods, falling away westward into scrublands, deserts, buttes and swells. The summer skies are heartbreaking blue, but the winters are long and killing. "Mountain Men", ancestors of those who properly own this land before it was ravaged from them, maintain an uneasy truce with the frontiers in some places, and outright wage war with them in others,

Picture religious pioneers, fleeing persecution and violence in the East. They’re trying to establish a society based on faith and righteousness out in this frontier. They’ve made the long trek westward but they’re still in danger: their towns are small and isolated, vulnerable to attack from without, sin and corruption within. Under pressure, their pride becomes sin, their anger becomes violence, their resentments become hate. Winter and the demons howl...

You are God’s Watchdogs, holding the Faith together.
- - -

"I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment."
- - -

Cornelius patrolled, shotgun slung over his shoulder, coat rusting about his ankles but not once touching the dust road. He had but two more days before he was due out, after the marriage he was asked to bless. All the mail had been sorted, and his belongings were packed into the small rucksack he kept tied to Bessie's saddle.

He heard footsteps, then, and from the corner of his eye, he saw it - a tall, dark man, standing idle, under hat and coat, no weapon at his side. None that could be seen, anyway.

The Dog kept walking, wiggling his fingers along the hold of his gun. His eyes locked straight ahead to where he planned to call rest before checking the far end of town. He was steel, full and focused.

From his left came a sound: a sort of low, crackling growl, and a hiss, and the tall man who was there was not upright and imposing, but instead hunched over, wringing his hands together... except his hands were dark red, bruised and scratched, long, broken claws jutting from the tips. His face had become a snout, his eyes dark as the night air around him. The demon's long coat ripped open at the back, revealing a ridged, humped spine full of quills.

It ran straight for Cornelius, yet he did not blink - he hadn't the time to, his body whipping around to face thing, firing before he had even come to a stop. The evil beast went flying against the wall of the saloon, ragged holes ripped out of him from the blast.

Yet still it rose back, growling and drooling, and behind Cornelius, he heard the scampering of many a like beast, cackling and whispering. He didn't know how many rounds he had left on him.

- - -

Old_Cross.jpg

Each session is a single town, where the Dogs arrive to deliver mail, perform ceremony, preach wisdom, and, most importantly, deal with any problems that may arise. The Watchdogs have unspoken authority to drag sinners out into the street and shoot them, convert them to the Faith, or try to ease them of their hardships (even if their authority is sometimes challenged by non-believers, or the local Law who doesn't want any trouble in his town).

The Dogs must deal with the sin, they must lay Judgement, but how they do that is up to them: do they preach and speak wisdom? Are they diplomatic? Are they fair? Or will all sins meet the same fate at the end of a gun?

The ethics and moral problems of how to deal with each case are what makes Dogs in the Vineyard so fun to watch. One Dog is out for blood, the other seeks to find a more peaceful solution: how will things resolve?
- - -

"Whatsoever thou takest in hand, remember the end, and thou shalt never do amiss."

- - -

THE FAITH
The whole name of the Faith is the Faith of All Things in the King of Life, Reborn.
The whole name of the Dogs is the Order Set Apart to the Preservation of Faith and the Faithful. Casually, the King’s Dogs or Life’s Watchdogs. Dogs are always called Brother or Sister by their first name: Brother Jeremiah, Sister Patience.
The Faith is the only true religion in the world. All other religions are a) actively demonic, cults created by Faithful leaders fallen into sin; b) corrupt and decadent, like the majority religions of the East; or c) idle nonsense, like most of the religions in the wider world.

TERRITORIAL AUTHORITY
Representatives of the Territorial Authority will generally be either a claims officer or other bureaucrat, or a circuit rider not unlike you Dogs. Only larger towns will have any sort of Territorial law enforcement — a sheriff — but he’s most likely to be Faithful, elected to the job by his congregation. The Territorial Authority’s real concern is that taxes are paid and nobody interferes with the mail — it worries about “keeping the peace” only insofar as lawlessness interferes with taxes and mail.
It’s worth pointing out that the Dogs are authorized by the Faith to do some things — like shoot sinners in the street — that are against the law. Exercise your authority cautiously.
- - -

But all this fluff is useless unless we have some players! You don't need the rulebook: The requisite rules for character creation are below. A good group of Dogs has three members, so that's what we're shooting for - three players. Depending on interest level, I'll extend signups for a while, but they'll most likely close within a week. May the best characters win?

A few points about this game:
- The game itself will be played in PbP format.
- If you want to run your initiation conflict with me on IRC, that's great! I am usually on most of the time, but American evenings are generally my zone of habitation. Also, American mornings. Also, whenever you ask me to be around.
- If you want to see how the game looks in play, I suggest you check out either of these two (abandoned) games - robotsunshine's and my old one.

Some Helpful Things
Antique Guns
Appropriate clothing for the era (and again)
Fiery Words for a Dog to say, from the Book of Life

This OP was shamelessly stolen from robotsunshine's Dogs in the Vineyard OOC thread!

simonwolf on

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CHARACTERS

You play one of God's Watchdogs, called to service in the Faith. You travel between isolated congregations called "Branches" and hold the Faith together. You have a long coat - colorful, beautiful, hand-pieced and quilted by your friends and family back home. It is your badge, a powerful symbol of your authority. You represent Judgment and Mercy on behalf of God, whom we call The King of Life.

Starting characters can be male or female, but are between 18-23. They've had two months or so in training, education, and ceremony to prepare, and they know one another. They are unmarried virgins, trusted to travel in mixed company.

When your character arrives at a Branch and finds a problem, he or she can take whatever steps are necessary, and non one can justly complain. Your character acts on behalf of the King of Life - if anyone has a problem, they can take it up with Him.

Does this mean you can't sin? No. But you're the only one allowed to judge your character's actions. Your conscience is in your own hands - are you a remorseless monster, or a destroying angel? The game can't tell the difference.

STEP ONE: What's your background?
    - Well-Rounded: Your character is straightforward, balanced, and effective, a good choice for men born into the Faith.
    17d6 in Stat dice, 1d4 4d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

- Strong History: Your character has a good education, lots of experience, or specialized training.
    13d6 in Stat dice, 3d6 4d8 3d10 in Trait dice, 1d4 3d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

- Complicated History: Your character had a troubled, dangerous, or challenging upbringing. It's a good choice for those converted into the Faith.
    15d6 in Stat dice, 4d4 2d6 2d10 in Trait dice, 5d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

- Strong Community: Your character is socially adept, and from a strong, caring family. It's a good choice for women born into the Faith.
    13d6 in Stat dice, 1d4 3d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d4 4d8 3d10 in Relationship dice

- Complicated Community: Your character is socially vulnerable, or from a broken or destructive family.
    15d6 in Stat dice, 6d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d4 2d6 2d8 2d10 in Relationship dice

STEP TWO: Place your stats
    Divvy up those Stat dice between your stats (don't roll them!). If you had, say 10d6 in Stat dice, you could put 2d6 in one Stat, 3d6 in another, another 3d10 in a third Stat, and the last 2d6 in another.

The minimum for each stat is 2d6, with no maximum.

ACUITY - You are perceptive, alert, educated, clever, savvy, or well-read.
    BODY - You are big, healthy, strong, wiry, muscular, tall, graceful, quick, or steady.
    HEART - You are compassionate, attractive, charming, gentle, courageous, enduring, faithful, or likable.
    WILL - You are tenacious, aggressive, confident, unflinching, strong-willed, or unshakable.

STEP THREE - Traits!
    You get to make these up. Whatever you think would be relevant or interesting to your line of work: Horsemanship is a good one, and so is Preaching and Biblical Lore. But you can also word them to be little tidbits of history, like, "My mama used to read to me from the Book of Life every night before bed" could be a Trait. Or it could be facts about yourself - "I taught myself how to shoot a gun".

Either way, give yourself some and assign your Trait dice to them. You can double up dice as much as you want, but only one type of die per Trait (you can have Horsemansip 1d6 or 7d6, but you can't have Horsemanship 1d6 1d10 or anything like that). If you need some Trait inspiration, write "I'm a good shot" as your first Trait, and then use that to branch out - where did you learn to shoot? From whom? Why did you learn to shoot? etc.

When assigning dice, don't match die size to Traits by competence (higher die sizes are better), but by how important or interesting that Trait is to your character. "I can shoot a can from a mile away 1d4" versus "I'm not sure about my line of work, and I doubt myself 3d10" means that the latter is a lot more important to you, and factors in prominently to how things will unfold.

d4 - such Traits make it more likely you'll suffer consequences in conflicts. Take them as disadvantages, but also as complications: "I'm a good shot 1d4" means that you can shoot, but when the guns come out, your life gets more complicated.

THE RULE - You HAVE to either take "I'm a Dog" as a Trait, or in the next step, take a Relationship with the Dogs. Your choice.

STEP FOUR - Relationships
    Name a couple of people your character has some sort of relationship with and assign them dice (following Trait dice rules above). Don't make many, save the dice for later on in play, when you can make new Relationships on the fly.

Blood - when you meet kin, you get then as a Relationship for fre at 1d6. You can spend dice if you want to change that.

STEP FIVE - Belongings
    Name some things you carry with you. If you decide they need dice, give them to them (as in, do you imagine they'll come up in a relevant way in conflict with other characters? Weapons will, and so may bibles. Use your judgement, but don't worry - you can improvise their dice on the fly if you need to). There's no limit, just what you could reasonably carry with you. We won't get picky.

Dogs might carry books, stationary and pens, a water flask, or other things. They definitely carry their coat, a gun, the Book of Life, a horse, and a jar of consecrated earth,

Giving them dice - give them the appropriate dice if normal.

Normal thing - 1d6
    Excellent things - 2d6
    Big things - 1d8
    Excellent and big - 2d8
    Crap things - 1d4

A good knife 2d8
    Old boots 1d6
    An old, bad revolver 2d4 (1d4 for being crap, +1d4 for being a gun)
    Massive shotgun 1d8 1d4

If the thing is a gun, it gets an additional 1d4 no mater what it is.

Your coat - give this dice, and write down what patterns and colors it has. Most coats start at 2d6, being excellent. Feel free to change that though.

SIXTH AND FINAL STEP - Your accomplishment
    Say something that you have your character accomplished duirng initition into being a Watchdog. (Maybe it's, "I hope I earned the respect of my peers," or, "I hope I learned to solve conflicts without violence," or, "I hope I shook my fear of all things demonic and corrupt." Don't pick something that'll break your character if it goes sour.)

Next, you and the GM (hey, me!) will have a mini-conflict, which will perfectly explain the dice rolling rules of the game to you (if you can tell if one number is higher than another, you can do this). At the end of it, we'll discover how your accomplishment went, and you'll get a new d6 Trait for it, even if it went bad.

HELPFUL RESOURCES
    Your name is going to be Brother or Sister something. Here's some great names, just for Dogs in the Vineyard: http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/projects/names/milk_and_honey2.pdf

BACKGROUND
    By the time you're 12 or 13, your Branch Steward is possibly considering you to be a Dog. The Steward guides and watches you up until about age 17. At 18-20, the Steward interviews you and asks you to be a Dog. You say your goodbyes, pack, and head East to the Dogs' temple in Bridal Falls City. You train for two months, along with about 15 others, depending on the spiritual haul.

Your teachers' goal isn't to make you a Dog - that's your job. They are there to:
    - prove or cull you
    - train you
    - educate you
    - initiate you
    - inspire you,
    and what you do with that is up to you.

Meanwhile, at home, your family and town are busy making your coat. Everyone comes to ceremoniously give a stitch. The condition and beauty of your coat reflects those back home. Afterwards, it is blessed with consecrated earth and a laying-on of hands. Towards the end of your training regimen, you receive mail from home, and it's your coat, along with letters and notes.

You serve as a Dog for about three or four years. Your coat gets damaged, and the communities you serve will repair it or replace it out of respect. This is a typical case, and your Dog's mileage may vary.

Next, you get a route and companions. You return to the Temple about twice annually.

Your duties:
    - deliver mail and news
    - participate in local ceremony or office
    - deliver doctrine or interpretation to the Branch and its Steward
    - preach
    - participate in (but hold yourself away from) social functions and celebrations
    - help out with physical work

It goes without saying that Dogs don't drink (booze, coffee, or black tea - instead, they go for herbal tea or soft drinks), and only old people smoke anyways.

So now you have all that done, what's your character sheet going to look like? Here's an example I whipped up:
    Brother Eli Messenger - Well-Rounded History

Statistics - 17d6
    Acuity - 5
    Body - 5
    Heart - 3
    Will - 4

Traits - 1d4, 4d6, 2d8
    I spent a year in the Territorial Armies - 1d4
    I had discipline beaten into me - 1d6
    I'm loyal to a fault - 1d6
    I'm know how to shoot - 2d6
    I was born in the saddle - 1d8
    I've got a big iron on my hip - 1d8

Relationships - 4d6, 2d8
    The Order Set Apart to the Preservation of Faith and the Faithful - 2d6
    Territorial Army - 1d6

Possessions
    Eli's coat is a brightly-decorated object, covered with patterns put down by his extended family. Although a diverse range of colours are used, a bright, peaceful blue was chosen as the primary motif, reflecting his old cavalry uniform. His old insignia was also incorporated into the design, with the stripes of his rank snaking their way up his arm from the cuff. 2d6
    Colt Dragoon revolver- 2d8 1d4
    A dulled cavalry saber - 1d6
    Archippus (his horse) - 1d6

My Accomplishment
    "I hope I learned to move beyond my army days."

See how easy that was? As you can see, my character has a strong sense of what he can do, as well as where he wants to go in the game, but also leaves a lot of options open for development.

Now you know what a character will look like, here's a blank sheet that you can use:
    Your character's name here!

Statistics - [whatever your history says]
    Acuity -
    Body -
    Heart -
    Will -

Traits -
      Relationships -
        Possessions

My Accomplishment

simonwolf on
      • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
        edited May 2010
        Here's how the rules work: Say yes or roll the dice. Repeat that to yourself every second of every scene. Look at what's happening - the cobbler's wife seems unhappy. Say yes, or roll the dice. She's ducking out of service, saying she feels ill. Say yes, or roll the dice. She's been doing this for weeks now.

Say yes (I agree, that is acceptable, it makes sense) or roll the dice (oh-no-you-fucking-don't, I don't want the scene to go this way, it would be better if someone intervened)

You constantly want to move towards the next conflict (conflict, here, means when we roll dice to see what happens). See, here, you don't roll the way you do in say, D&D or White Wolf. If you want to do something, then you do it. Do you see the ambush before it happens? Depends - is it dramatically appropriate? Does the rest of the group care? Say yes or roll the dice. You have the option to interrupt anything, even what the GM says, and force it into a fight. So look for the next possible conflict. Be aggressive! You don't have to roll to see if you can pick a lock, or things like that. It's on a grander scale. Let's look at how to do a conflict, first, and this will make more sense.

There's a problem. Someone didn't say Yes. The GM decided to pick on you. Something's wrong.
        1. Establish what's at stake, anyone can suggest this. The stakes are what the conflict is about, what we're fighting over, what's so important.
          - What's at stake is, does your brother shoot the woman?
        2. Set the stage. Fancy up the scene and get everyone in the mood.
          - Dust swirls around our feet, only to spiral down the road behind me. I've got my finger on the trigger and I'm shaking my head. It's unbearably hot, everyone's sweating. By now, school's out, and the kids nearby are wise that something's up - they're crowding around. The woman's crying, and my brother's pointing his gun straight at her.
        3. Who's participating in this conflict?
        4. Take up dice depending on how you want to enter the conflict (these are called Arenas):
          - We're just talking (Acuity + Heart)
          - Things are getting physical, but we're not fighting (Body + Heart)
          - Fist-fights (Body + Will)
          - We pulled out the guns (Acuity + Will)

You can roll your Relationship dice if the Relation is what's at stake or is your opponent.
        5. Everyone rolls their dice for all to see.
        6. Take turns Raising and Seeing.
          To Raise, say what your character does and put two dice forward. Do something your opponent can't ignore.
          - (dice: 5, 6) I stare him down, not even flinching when he shifts the gun to me. I act like I hadn't even noticed. "Jed. Stop this. You ain't got it in ya, and there ain't no reason for all this. Put it away. I don't wanna have to put my hands on you, but I will if I gotta."

To See, put forward any amount of dice that equals or exceeds the standing Raise (less dice is better). So, the current Raise is 5 and 6 (above), with is 5 + 6 = 11. So you need to put forward some of your dice that equals or betters 11.
          - (4, 3, 3, 2) I see he's not kidding. And, honestly? I don't have it in me. I can't shoot my brother. I couldn't shoot this woman... I won't say it out loud, but I'm afraid. My gun lowers to my side, and I take a few steps back, not wanting to get tackled right off. "Alright, Samuel. Alright. We gotta talk, though, okay...?" I'm almost in tears. "She done me wrong, brother..."
          • When you See, if you can do it with one die, that's Reversing The Blow. You turn the Raise back on your attacker somehow (he swings, but you grab his fist and squeeze, forcing him down; he tells you the King of Life has a place for him, and you remind him how the Steward said Heaven had no place for a sinner such as he). Keep your See die - you get to (and have to) use it for your next Raise!
          • If you See with two dice, that's a Block or a Dodge. Say how you defend against the attack.
          • If you See with three or more dice, that's Taking The Blow. Say how the blow lands and how your charater reacts. You also get Fallout Dice, which will later on change and affect your character, possibly for the worse. You take a number of dice equal to how many you used to See, and set them aside - if the blow wasn't physical, those dice are d4s. If they were physical, then they're d6s. If a weapon was used against you, it's a d8, and if it was a bullet, it's a d10.
          • If you don't want to See, you can Give. This is a pretty standard action, don't be afraid to do it. You lose the Stakes and the conflict, but you get bonus dice for a follow-up conflict! You do NOT Take the Blow or anything, you basically get out of the conflict free, and you don't win it. Take your single highest die and keep it for a follow-up conflict. A follow-up conflict's stakes follow directly from the previous conflict's resolution. You can actually try the exact same Stakes again, but to do so, the number of participants, the location, and the opening arena (Just Talking, Fist-Fighting, etc.) must be different, all three.

Follow-up conflicts and Giving are important parts, and we will all be pushing towards them. Fight with all your heart, but don't be afraid if you need to Give.

That's the structure:
        - Stakes?
        - Stage?
        - Who's involved?
        - Roll dice
        - I Raise, you See.
        - You Raise, I See,
        - etc., until someone doesn't have the dice to See

Also, if more than people need to See a given Raise, that's acceptable. Their Sees are different and exclusive, though - they don't add their dice to beat yours. They beat you separately. And yes, you will sometimes be Raising and Seeing against each other as players!

ESCALATING
        That's all well and good. Let's say we're Just Talking, and I'm about to run out of dice. What I can do is Escalate, and move out of Just Talking into, let's say, Fist-Fighting (the arenas are Just Talking, Physical but not fighting, Fist-Fighting, and Guns). I get to roll my Stats for Fist-Fighting and add those dice to my already standing dice, and of course, the conflict's taken a turn, where we're not just talking, we're actually fighting.

You can only roll a Stat once per conflict, so if an escalation calls for you to roll Acuity + Heart, and you've already rolled Heart, just roll Acuity.

TRAITS AND THINGS
        When you use one of your Traits as a Raise or See, you get to to roll its dice. Same for a Belonging. You can only roll a Trait / Belonging once per conflict. You can keep using in the conflict as much as you want, you just don't get the dice for it.

You roll their dice before putting them forward, and you don't have to use them if you don't like them. You can even use them for a separate See or Raise.

CEREMONY
        You can do neat spiritual things, like Call someone by their True Name (said to summon demon's attention and obedience), Sing Praise, Recite from the Book of Life, or Make the Sign of the Tree (right hand, palm out, shoulder level, fingers wide spread) as part of a Raise or See, especially against demons. It looks badass.

FALLOUT
        Nasty stuff!
        - Roll all your Fallout dice after conflict. Add the two highest together.
        - You'll be presented with a list of Fallout Consequences according to the sum, and you get to pick something to add to your character. Less than 8 is pretty safe, with only short-term damage. More than 8 is lasting harm, bad stuff, and more than 12 is injured. 20 or higher, and your character is dead.
        - Fallout will be dealt with as it happens, since it's not immediately relevant. Just know that it's bad.

Here's the list of Fallout Consequences, for quick reference when I tell you what to choose from!

Short-term Fallout:
        - Subtract 1 from one of your character’s Stats for your next conflict.
        - Take a new trait rated 1d4 for your next conflict.
        - Change the dice of one of your character’s Relationships to d4s for your next conflict.
        - Have your character leave the scene and spend some time alone. Only choose this one if nobody else launches a follow-up conflict.

Long-term Fallout:
        - Subtract 1 from one of your character’s Stats.
        - Take a new trait at 1d4.
        - Take a new relationship at 1d4.
        - Add 1d to an existing d4 trait or relationship.
        - Subtract 1d from an existing d6+ trait or relationship.
        - Change the die size of an existing trait or relationship to d4.
        - Erase a Belonging from your character’s sheet.
        - Change the description of your coat to include bad damage. Reduce your coat’s dice as appropriate.

Experience Fallout:
        - Add 1 to one of your Stats.
        - Create a new Trait at 1d6.
        - Add or subtract 1 die from an existing Trait.
        - Change the d-size of an existing Trait.
        - Create a new Relationship at 1d6.
        - Add or subtract 1 die from an existing Relationship.
        - Change the d-size of an existing Relationship.
        - Write a new Belonging on your character sheet and give it its usual dice.

simonwolf on
      • jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
        edited May 2010
        holy yes

everyone sign up for this right now, this game rocks

jimninja on
        0198ec55.jpg
        edited May 2010
        Here is an example conflict

RAISE
        I shoot jimninja in his fat mouth.
        (10, 10)

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        (dice: 10, 8, 5, 5, 2, 1)

TAKE THE BLOW
        i am shot in my fat mouth
        dice: 10, 8, 2)

RAISE:
        i shoot simonwolf in his butt
        (5, 5)

(dice: 10, 8, 5, 5, 2, 1)

jimninja on
        0198ec55.jpg
        edited May 2010
        REVERSE THE BLOW
        i got a rubber butt so the bullet bounces back at you
        (10)

RAISE
        the bullet totally pokes out your eye it's so gross
        (10,1)

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        GIVE:

ouch!

I keep my highest die (1) for my next conflict with simonwolf, and I take 3d10 fallout

jimninja on
        0198ec55.jpg
        edited May 2010
        It is that simple, ladies and gentlemen!

hurry up and make a dog

simonwolf on
      • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
        edited May 2010
        I must dig out my book (my housemate's book) and read up on this again. I don't remember any of the rules off-hand other than say 'yes' or roll the dice, but that's the most important one.

Kay on
        ew9y0DD.png
        3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
      • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
        edited May 2010
        So, is this as awesome as it looks? Because it looks pretty awesome.

How often would you want interaction? This obviously wouldn't work as a one-post-a-day sort of thing.

GoodOmens on
        steam_sig.png
        IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
        edited May 2010
        My general policy is around one or two posts a day, though depending on who's around (like Jim, for prolonged periods), we'll run entire encounters in a single night, just posting back-to-back. It does work as a once-per-day posting thing, but the more active you can be, the better.

EDIT: also on a scale of awesomeness, from oatmeal to the Fonz, this game is like two Fonzies wrapped with snakes.

simonwolf on
      • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
        edited May 2010
        I am so interested

I'm going to actually look at the rules for character creation tomorrow, when I'm not inebriated

Farangu on
      • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
        edited May 2010
        I'm incredibly interested, having just taken a deep look at the Dogs in the Vineyard handbook. I'll have a character sometime soon.

The Everyman on
        edited May 2010
        Brother Abiah Richardson

BACKGROUND
        Strong History: Your character has a good education, lots of experience, or specialized training.
        13d6 in Stat dice, 3d6 4d8 3d10 in Trait dice, 1d4 3d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

STATS
        ACUITY 3d6
        BODY 3d6
        HEART 2d6
        WILL 5d6

TRAITS
        2d10 - I don't care why you done it, I care what you done.
        1d10 - I'm not gonna be talked down to by nobody.
        2d8 - I'm a Dog.
        1d8 - I got a thing about being short.
        1d8 - I was raised a ranch hand.
        2d6 - I'm a Steward's son.
        2d6 - I got a hard heart and hard hands.

RELATIONSHIPS - 1d4 2d6 2d8 unspent
        Steward Thaddeus Richardson / Papa - 1d6
        Brother Emmanuel from Broken Rock - 1d6

BELONGINGS
        Book of Life - 1d6
        jar of consecrated earth - 1d6
        revolver - 1d6+1d4
        Watchdog's coat - 2d6
        The body of the coat is a deep yellow, brown when it's dusty, or dark out. Lines of green bend and chase around it, forming semicircles and demicircles, evoking the Garden. At one knee is a coil of red lurking in the vines of the Garden, a reminder from Abiah's mama that the Serpent dwells everywhere. The cuffs are a riot of color, where the people of Charity Branch added a flourish of stitches in all thicknesses and shades of thread.
        Charlie - 1d8
        A two-and-a-half year old stallion, acts a damn fool sometimes but he's a good horse despite it.
        travelin' gear
        bedroll, spare blanket, oilskin parka, waterskin, tin cup, tin plate, spoon and knife, dried corn, spare bridle and reins, cloth for wrapping wounds

ACCOMPLISHMENT
        "I found a friend in the hills."

HISTORY
        Abiah was practically born into Doghood. His father is the Steward of Charity Branch. Since he was a baby, he grew up with the fiery preachings of his papa, and his mama's quiet warnings that the Serpent lurks in every crevice and shadow. His father, she said, was charged by the King of Life with shining His light into those shadows. Abiah was of the opinion that this was very excellent, and that he wanted to be just like his father.

The children of Charity Branch did not much like Abiah, the Steward's son. They thought he was a holier-than-thou little brat, even for a Faithful. He tried to bully them in imitation of his father; they poked fun at him for his small frame. Abiah did not have good friends among his peers at Charity Branch.

As a young man, he worked on Brother Seth's ranch. There was never any doubt in anyone's mind in Charity Branch that Abiah's father would send him to Bridal Falls City when he got older. Of course, everyone had their own opinions about whether that was good or bad or correct or not, but everyone knew it would happen regardless. Come 18, and Abiah packed up his little bags and said thank you to Brother Seth and goodbye to his mother and father and went off to the temple of the Watchdogs.

jimninja on
        0198ec55.jpg
        edited May 2010
        Brother Virgil Green – Complicated History
        15d6 in Stat Dice; 4d4 2d6 2d10 in Trait Dice; 5d6 2d8 in Relationship Dice.

Statistics
        5d6 – Acuity
        2d6 – Body
        4d6 – Heart
        4d6 – Will

Traits
        1d4 – I ain't never rode a horse I liked
        1d4 – I know how hard it can be to find the Faith
        2d4 – I'm the King's Dog
        1d6 – Pa got killed in the army
        1d6 – I used to ride with a gang
        1d6 – The man I killed no longer haunts me
        1d10 – An eye for an eye blinds us both
        1d10 – I shot a man in cold blood once

Relationships [Available: 2d6 2d8]
        1d6 – The sin of Murder
        1d6 – Anderson's Boys (A gang of hoodlums-'come-bandits back home.)
        2d6 – Brother Gavin Morris (The Dog who converted me to the Faith.)

Possessions
        2d6 – My Coat (A pale yellow thing just like baled hay, with big hems and dark red vertical stripes running down my back and sleeves like rays of the sun, or lines on a map. I keep Pa's medal pinned to my lapel so I don't never forget 'bout where I come from nor what I done. I don't know the women who made my coat, but I'd surely like to thank them for giving a stranger something so fine.)
        1d4 – The Paint Horse (And that's what I call him, cause he ain't mine.)
        2d6+1d4 – Colt Single Action (I take good care of things I buy, doubly so if it'll save a life or take it.)
        1d8+1d4 – Winchester Repeater (With a thunder that puts the fear of God in folks.)
        1d4 – Book of Life (It's ragged and dog-eared, but God help me if this ain't the first book I ever read cover to cover.)
        2d6 – Tan Leather Stetson (A hat that purely shelters man from both rain and sun.)
        1d6 – Jar of Consecrated Earth

My Accomplishment
        “I hope I can stop having nightmares of the man I killed.”
        – – – – – – –

"I ain't never had an easy life, but then again I s'pose most men don't. I always seen it as The King of Life's way of bettering us though, strengthening our body, mind, and soul through hardship. I don't expect His providence to come easily; for I know that through His trials I will reach His bounty. Like you said, 'But be you strong and do not lose courage, for there is reward for your work'.

"I grew up back East, in a hard town too difficult for the railroad to reach, and with too little money to go 'round. Mama died when I was born, and so I lived with her sister and her sister's husband while Pa was away in the Army. I only ever saw him but for a handfulla' times 'fore he got killed. Some man in army greens come 'round a few months after the telegram come and he gave me a medal Pa had won. I was so rightly upset and angry that I threw it off the porch and into the brush when they handed it to. I ain't never told my Auntie, but later that night I snuck out and looked for hours 'till I found it. It ain't good to lose things like that, I reckon. If you forget, you might forget a little 'bout yourself too.

“I grew up faithless, I admit. Auntie ain't never said one word either way 'bout God nor Heaven nor the Faith, and besides I was too busy runnin' wild and raisin' hell to be preoccupied with readin' prayin' and such. I was without faith, and worse, I was a sinner, and rode with a gang. Anderson's Boys, they called us, on account of the two oldest being Mr. Anderson's sons, and that we always was hanging 'round his ranch. We did things like drink in the saloon and holler at ladies who was proper or not so proper. We done worse things too.

“It started when we held up a drunk man in the alley behind the saloon. Thomas had gotten ahold of his Pa's six-shooter, and we followed that poor man outside. He had almost twenty dollars in his pocket and we all laughed when he wet himself from fear. Johnny punched the man in the stomach and then in the nose and said that if he ever told anyone, we'd kill him. After that, we all wanted a taste. Robbin' innocent folk, holdin' up stages on the way into and out of town, russlin' cattle and horses. We even cracked the safe in a train on it's way from Chicago. We all had money and guns and blackness and greed in our hearts, but at the time we knew no other way. We was tainted with sin, and it was killin' us slowly.

“You told me before,
        'For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows'. I can surely believe in the words now, for I carry a heavy burden in sorrow for my own actions. It was late, and we was in the saloon and we was drunk as all get out. We was loud and rowdy, and 'fore long we was breaking glasses and antagonizin' folks just for the hell of it. To be honest I don't remember much of what happened that night until the gunshot.

“His face drained of color, and his hands was clutchin' his stomach to stop the bleeding as if one rock could dam a river. I could suddenly feel the weight of the gun in my hand and I dropped it, and I could feel the blood on my lips where I had been punched. We had been too loud, and too wild, and when I spilt a man's beer all down his shirtfront, he walloped me right in the mouth. I drew my gun, and I shot him. I shot him in the gut, and it got quiet then as the crowd backed away and the man dropped to his knees.

“I can still see his face when I shut my eyes as plainly as I can see your face now, Brother Gavin. I back away, and no one stopped me. I walked out of the bar, in a daze like, and skipped town that night. I rode west, survived on what I could beg, stole what I couldn't. I was lost and adrift like a small ship in a vast sea. And then I met you, Brother Gavin. You caught me in the middle of your larder, red handed, arms full of bread and cheese and jam and meat. You had a scattergun in your hand, but you didn't shoot. You said, 'What are you looking for, son?' and I said, 'I'm starving mister, I need food,' and you said, 'You are starving, but it's not food that you hunger for.' You remember those words, Brother Gavin? They saved my life.”

The Everyman on
        edited May 2010
        So here's my dog. Apologies if I messed something up.

Edit: Added a few more details, cleared a few up:

Brother Jaspar Samuels - Complicated history
        15d6 in Stat dice, 4d4 2d6 2d10 in Trait dice, 5d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

Jaspar grew up well educated and happy. His father and sister saw to that. He had always listened to the interesting stories in the Book of Life, and had fun imagining the big battle scenes, but never really saw its application to real life.

Then, one day, a band of heathen bandits raided his homestead while his sister and he were out getting supplies. Abigail, being the elder, tried to keep Jaspar safe and his mind busy, but Jaspar's ideal world had been broken. He searched and searched for something to make sense in his life again, and found nothing until the night he talked to Steward Mallory. That was what convinced him that he wanted to become a Dog. They rode out, righting wrongs, preventing those Mountain Men heathens from doing things like what he had suffered through. If he could keep even one little boy from having to go through that...he would do anything to attain that power. Mallory quickly noticed the zeal Jaspar had. It didn't take much to spread its energy out from areas other than shooting, to preaching, riding, passage memorization...he was a shoe-in for Dog training.

Abigail could see the steps his mind had taken, but she was always one to stop and look before leaping. She knew that she couldn't change his mind, no matter how much she wanted to. So she helped make his coat, gave it a little personal touch to let his brother know that she supported this foolish action, and waited for him to return.

She might be waiting a long while...

Statistics -
        Acuity - 4d6: The Book of Life was not the first book he's read by far, nor will it be the last
        Body - 3d6: Utterly average in build and bulk
        Heart - 3d6: He has his moments of wit, but his sister was always the better
        Will - 5d6: Tenacious is a God-damned understatement

Traits -
        I am a Dog - 2d4
        My pappy was killed by heathens, and I swore vengeance - 1d10
        There are them that stray and break their word. They get one chance. - 1d10
        I can make it on my own - 1d6
        Ain't in the habit of lettin' folk down - 1d6
        I think virtuous heathens do exist. Just hard to find, is all. - 1d4
        Horses are better company than men, some of the time - 1d4

Relationships - 4d6 1d8 remaining
        Abigail - 1d8(Sister who understood, but never approved of, my joining the dogs)
        Steward Mallory - 1d6(Preacher who I turned to after Pa got gunned down)

Possessions -
        Coat - 2d6 - A flowing duster coat, with a base of dark red, with light blue and green stripes curving around it. There is a single mark made at the lapel, which almost resembles an eyeball. Jaspar knows that his sister sewed that in there, to say that she is watching him as often as God does. When faced with a moment of tough decisions, his fingers often stray up to run over the symbol.
        Well-polished revolver - 1d6+1d4
        Daddy's Double Barrel Shotgun - 2d8+1d4
        Bowie Knife - 1d4
        Daddy's canteen - 1d8
        Rope - 1d6 (Whoever adventures without rope is not someone I want to be around)
        Book of Life - 1d4
        Jar of Earth - 1d6

My Accomplishment -
        "I hope I can learn how to avenge my father."

Farangu on
        edited May 2010
        Those are certainly some Dogs!

Just a couple of quick pointers:

- Accomplishments are meant to be something that happened during your initiation to becoming a Dog, generally during those months you spent training up. That doesn't mean any of yours are "wrong", per se, but it might be an idea to re-evaluate if what you're aiming for could have (or should have) happened during that process.
        - Remember, you don't choose to be a Dog, someone with Stewardship over you will recommend and select you from the young Faithful to go and train in Bridal Falls City to become one.
        - Your traits seem nifty, but Farangu, your second one seems a little... long, maybe? Cut out the part about the sister, and it'd be fine - hell, even make your sister a second trait.
        - Items seem all well and good, too! I used to be iffy about letting everyone have big lists of items, but really, I enjoy it when you have big dice in guns, because there's just that extra temptation for you to use them. And that is juicy material for me.

Keep up the good work!

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        Taken the advice into consideration.

Farangu on
        edited May 2010
        Simonwolf, did you want us to throw in a backstory/description on our sheets? I just went off of your example and by the blank sheet provided. The names of my Traits and whatnot do give away a bit about Virgil's story, but don't reveal it entirely, but you might be looking for something a little more in depth. Just lemmie know.

The Everyman on
        edited May 2010
        It's up to you! It'll all come out in play, most likely, but a basic idea of who your character is and where he comes from is always handy for me to exploit.

also quit callin' me "Simonwolf", it is not hard to figure out my real name, jerks

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        Ok, Wolf

Farangu on
        edited May 2010
        yes perfect

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        If your middle name is Blitzer you win the universe

Farangu on
      • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
        edited May 2010
        Let's see here...

Brother Michael Treecutter - Complicated Community (15d6 Stat Dice, 6d6 2d8 Trait Dice, 4d4 2d6 2d8 2d10 Relationship Dice)

The son of the local general store owner in a small lakeside town by the name of Twin Paws, Michael grew up helping around the business. He was more apt to be found studying behind the counter than outside with other boys his age, pretending to be whatever heroes were in the more popular dime novels that month with them. His mother doted on Michael, encouraging him to follow his heart wherever it may lead him. Oftentimes it was just the two of them minding the store while his father and older sister Michelle would handle thy physical labor. (For reference, Michelle is about three years older than Michael.)

Steward Alec Schurr first picked Michelle to be a Dog on her thirteenth birthday. The whole town was abuzz with the news. Three years later, it happened- Steward Alec decided that Michael also possibly had what it took to be a Dog. He was proud, but the town's response was somewhat more muted- there were whispers that their mother had charged Michelle with watching out for Michael, and the two had a small falling-out. Nevertheless, Michelle supplemented Steward Alec's teaching with some of her own- teaching Michael how to fight, how to ride, and how to shoot. She kept a good attitude with Michael, but he could sense something was troubling his sister- was it the fact she had to teach her bookworm brother how to keep himself alive on her own time when she could have been working on her own skills?

The other thing Twin Paws holds for Michael is Krista Thompson- the daughter of the local sheriff. They're both quite smitten with each other, even if thier relationship hasn't progressed very far in the eighteen months he's known her. The day before Michael left for training, they kissed for the first time, and Michael can clearly remember Krista's big blue eyes watching him as he left for Bridal Falls City. A chalk-drawn portrait of her- done one rainy afternoon by Michael- is always with him.

He's heard that Michelle's made a name for herself, having proven herself time and time again. The last thing Michael wants is to be accepted because of his last name. He wants to prove his skills are the real thing, serve out his time, and to return to Twin Paws (and Krista)...

Accomplishment: I hope to step out of my sister's shadow...

Stat Dice (15d6):

Acuity: 5d6 (all those books...)
        Body: 3d6 (Not THAT tough, but...)
        Heart: 4d6 (Somewhat handsome, compassionate)
        Will: 3d6 (not a lot of self-confidence, but there's a spark there...)

Traits (6d6 2d8):

Can preach with the best of them (1d8)
        Stubborn as all get-out (1d6)
        Got no problem using my hands (1d6)
        Book learning will get you far... (1d6)
        Sister taught me how to shoot (1d8)
        Pretty average at riding (1d6)
        I protect those important to me (2d6)

Relationships (4d4 2d6 2d8 2d10):

{2d4, 1d6, 1d10 left in Relationship dice}

Steward Alec - 1d6
        The Dogs - 1d10
        Mom - 1d8
        Krista Thompson - 1d8
        Sister Michelle Treecutter - 2d4

Belongings:

Dad's Revolver: (1d6, 1d4)- One of a matched set. Michelle carries the other one.

"Mountain Thunder", Grampa's old shotgun (1d8 1d4)- named for the time Michael's grandfather used to to scare some heathens away on a trip westward. It's said the sound this gun makes is like a summer thunderclap echoing off a mountain range.

Walking Stick: (2d6)- The night after Michael passed his interview, lightning struck a tree out back of the general store, knocking a branch to the ground. Michael and Michelle played together under this tree, and it's been carved into a walking stick by his father. He's not afraid to use it to remove snakes- or other pests- from his path...

Book of Life: (1d6) - This is the same Book of Life Michelle used when she was training. It's dear to Michael.

Jar of consecrated earth: (1d6) - Earth taken from under the local Steward's house.

Comet, Michael's horse: (1d8)- Michael and Comet have been together for four years. They've grown somewhat used to each other.

Michael's Coat: 2d6

A pattern that was adapted from Michael's old blanket. It involves several different shades of green and blue, in various shapes. It looks almost like looking up into a tree with blue sky behind it.

JaysonFour on
        steam_sig.png
        I can has cheezburger, yes?
        edited May 2010
        Farangu are you missing 1d6 in traits?

Speaking of traits, I changed one of mine around.

The Everyman on
        edited May 2010
        King of Life you guys love abusin' your lack of an item limit

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        I see Possessions as another way to further flesh out a character, actually.

JaysonFour on
        steam_sig.png
        edited May 2010
        I'm sure you do, mister "big picture of some lady-type"

big picture, honestly

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        ...well, I might knock it down to 1d6. I just wanted to show the feeling he put into it.

JaysonFour on
        steam_sig.png
        edited May 2010
        Haha, I am just trying to picture how that even works, is all! The rules more or less indicate that if something is big, people are going to be going "holy shit that's a big knife/horse/gun", and I am interested to know what makes the picture "big". Is it just a big ol' piece of paper, is it a really detailed drawing? Because that'd make it excellent, not big!

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        It's a detailed drawing.

JaysonFour on
        steam_sig.png
        edited May 2010
        Then it would be excellent.

EDIT: I should make it pretty clear that you guys have done nothing wrong! This is just the first time I've dealt with people making characters that have such extensive item lists, and I feel it is my job to poke you and go, "really? really?" until we can both agree that, yes, having all these items makes perfect sense for your character to have! Basically, as long as it fits with the setting and the group agrees you could travel with it on horseback - in the wilds, in the weather - there's nothing stopping you from takin' a bunch of things.

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        I was indeed short 1 die of traits. Thanks for the spot!

Also Wolf I've been reading your last game and all I have to say is GOD DAYUM I WANTS TO PLAY NOW

Farangu on
        edited May 2010
        Sins of Memphisto? Yes, that was a good game, kind of encapsulated what I like about Dogs! It was also helped by the two people bein' pretty active about the whole thing for a long period there, so we managed to get a shitton done.

simonwolf on
        edited May 2010
        So what's the word here Simon? How long are you going to be taking entries for?

The Everyman on
      • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
        edited May 2010
        And how many players are you taking, three?

Cheeseliker on
      • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
        edited May 2010
        the best part about sins of memphisto was obviously that one post i made where it looked as if prudence had gotten shot and she fell over, but then jumped back up and hauled ass over behind a building and left esau there to fend for himself

and i don't care what you say, pete stars was a fucking co-conspirator, it is plain as day

(wanted the dot so i could watch the shit out of this)

summeryclept on
        edited June 2010
        Three players!

Sign-ups and shit will be up until Friday, which is when my university coursework schedule starts to die down a little bit. Patience, people, it's a virtue!

simonwolf on
      • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
        edited June 2010
        dammit how did i miss this

MUST SUBMIT

Arivia on
        huntresssig.jpg
        edited June 2010
        Simon have I ever told you that you are a radiant being from a dimension of pure perfect, and can do no wrong on our dimension?

Because you are.
        PLEASE LET ME PLAY

Farangu on