As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They still have a lot of 'splainin to do

Like the Dahaka

And why the Prince is such a cock-ass in WW

UnbreakableVow on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought this game was supposed to explain that. Like, all of that.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited May 2010
    Nope

This story is pretty inconsequential in the scheme of things, and were it not for a very slight mentioned of Azad and Farah, it wouldn't even seem to take place in the same continuity

UnbreakableVow on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, Farah was mentioned?

Lewisham on
    edited May 2010
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Wait, Farah was mentioned?

Yeah

Shortly after you meet Razia, he mentions that women in his life always order him around. First Farah, now Razia.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2010
    Huh.

The reason I asked is because I've been presenting a lecture to ~200 students in the UC Santa Cruz freshmen Game Design class for the last couple of years. Slides are at Scribd.

It's basically a massively self-indulgent lecture on why Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is my favorite game ever made. The interaction between the Prince and Farah are a huge part of it. This game sorely missed it.
    Razia almost played that role right at the end when she was absorbed into the sword... they should have done it right at the beginning.

Lewisham on
    edited May 2010
    Funny, I think I came across that lecture online the other day, completely unrelated to this thread.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's your beef with Mirror's edge :(

That game had an awesome sense of motion!

(Unless that's what you meant)

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 2010
    What's your beef with Mirror's edge :(

That game had an awesome sense of motion!

(Unless that's what you meant)

That is what I meant. It was not meant to be sarcastic, it was "no, really, you should play Mirror's Edge"

I first gave the lecture last year. I presented Mirror's Edge as the spiritual successor to PoP: SoT. This year, I suggested that Assassin's Creed 2 had more of SoT in it than the Prince of Persia reboot, and that should be played instead.

In some ways, this game felt a little limiting in comparison to Mirror's Edge. While that game was also super linear, they didn't signpost it as blatantly. It felt a little more fluid, and finding new runs was a big part of the feeling of freedom. I'm slightly disappointed that Forgotton Sands didn't try that, but then I'm 300x more elated it's sooooo much better than the reboot, and second only to SoT in the series IMHO.

Lewisham on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Has anyone seen the movie yet? I've been curious to hear some thoughts. Ebert didn't like it, but he basically said it was because it wasn't 1923's The Thief of Bagdad. They used computers instead of trampolines in this, therefore it's bad.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    All my friends that have seen it tell me it was highly enjoyable

UnbreakableVow on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the movie yet? I've been curious to hear some thoughts. Ebert didn't like it, but he basically said it was because it wasn't 1923's The Thief of Bagdad. They used computers instead of trampolines in this, therefore it's bad.

Ebert had to give it a bad review or his video games house of cards would collapse.

frandelgearslip on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All my friends that have seen it tell me it was highly enjoyable
    I don't know that I'd call it highly enjoyable, but it was decent enough. I mean, it barely resembled Prince of Persia beyond the dagger (which could've been any macguffin, really) and some references, but it was fun enough.

Monger on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Wii version does a better job of having Farah-like interaction, particularly after you unlock his Sands of Time costume :)

There's also some fun 2D parts, as well as a 2D bonus level.

The Wii game feels a lot more inventive with its level design, but there's a lot of little things that are adding up to it not being as much fun as the 360 game. Mostly I hate the combat and some of the controls.

Dagrabbit on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think it's fair to say that this game is more of a side-story than they first pitched it to be. It barely makes mention of the earlier game continuity, the Malik character comes out of nowhere, and he's wearing the outfit from the movie. That said, I still loved this game. The plot is the worst aspect, more for its loose ties to the other series and the film than anything else. The actual basic story beyond all of that was fine for a PoP game, and probably would have worked better as a standalone tale.

I loved the stuff regarding Razia and the magic sword in particular.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited May 2010
    Does having Yuri Lowenthal help it at all?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2010
    Yeah, Yuri is awesome++

Lewisham on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The devs said they want to fill the 7 years between Sands of Time and Warrior Within with this game. Apparently,because of the movie I'd guess, they didn't go as far and will instead continue building new games that fit into that time and bring us closer to the Dahaka and the Godsmack Prince.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited May 2010
    They've said they're going to make more filler titles that lead us closer and closer to the foregone conclusion of WW Prince?

What.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Basically,in one of the earlier interviews they said this game was supposed to fill us in on the 7 years between SoT and WW. But apparently,as you can see now that the game has been released, this is not the case.

So I thereby speculate that because of the movie release,they now switched to the plan of using the "movie/game prince" for multiple games to build on the new audience they got through the theatrical release.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    I'm about an hour into the Wii version, and I'm have a ton of fun with it. The platforming feels more fluid than the 360 version, and the levels are much more interesting. There's some nice dialogue, but the plot is pretty pointless and the fighting kind of sucks. Control has the usual Wii issues (pointless waggle and awkward camera controls), but I think, overall, it's a great game.

My greatest nemesis in the Wii version was the damned camera, for two reasons:

1) Sometimes it was just stupid and I couldn't line up a jump, especially when comboing Spheres and Rings over crazy chasms.

2) Instead of mapping camera panning to the D pad left and right, they make me use the C button to do it. Which is right above the Z button. Which is easy to hit by accident. Which causes you to let go of the ledge (or, gods forbid, temporary sand ring) from which you're hanging or otherwise plummet at will.

Hell, they could have just mapped the camera to the D pad in its entirety and put Roll on C (you don't need it while platforming) and Hints on -.

The Wii version does a better job of having Farah-like interaction, particularly after you unlock his Sands of Time costume :)

I really wanted to unlock the Dark Prince costume, but didn't find it on my first run-through. :(

The Wii game feels a lot more inventive with its level design, but there's a lot of little things that are adding up to it not being as much fun as the 360 game. Mostly I hate the combat and some of the controls.

Honestly the combat seemed to get easier once they stopped spamming the Chthonic Beasts. Everything else is pretty easy to take down, especially once you learn the wall slash -- which auto-destroys the shields of minotaurs. But for a while there, especially when I was lighting braziers in the forge area, it got really annoying.

Still, there are few sights more mind-boggling than when you enter the Test of Humility. That alone nearly saved the game for me, although by that time the damage had mostly been done.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is what I meant. It was not meant to be sarcastic, it was "no, really, you should play Mirror's Edge"

IMO Mirror's Edge is the best use of the first person perspective I've ever seen, and the game was truly hampered by what they chose to do with it.

Still in my top 5 games, and I love it to bits.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm surprised they've given me free reign on rings and geysers so early.

This is a great game to stop me from playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 too quickly.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    About halfway through the game (I think, I was lighting fires for...some reason), I stopped playing the Wii version. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't having much fun. There's a lot of neat ideas, but a lot of small issues that I mentioned before that were getting more annoying over time, not less. It's a shame, since it has a lot going for it.

Sadly, my favorite bits were probably the 2D levels :)

Dagrabbit on
    edited June 2010
    About halfway through the game (I think, I was lighting fires for...some reason), I stopped playing the Wii version. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't having much fun. There's a lot of neat ideas, but a lot of small issues that I mentioned before that were getting more annoying over time, not less. It's a shame, since it has a lot going for it.

Sadly, my favorite bits were probably the 2D levels :)

Did you check the extra's menu, you probably unlocked a few 2D levels.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anybody else playing the 360 version? If so, how do I get the elemental powers achievements to pop? Whirlwind was easy since it's great crowd control, and Stone Armor had to be "kill dudes while using the armor" since it's a defensive power, but the fire one is screwing with me. Do the dudes need to die from Flame Trail, or is it enough that they die while it's active?

Same question I guess for the ice power, but I haven't opened that one yet.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

IMO Mirror's Edge is the best use of the first person perspective I've ever seen, and the game was truly hampered by what they chose to do with it.

Still in my top 5 games, and I love it to bits.

If they do get to make a sequel, learning from the first game, I will buy day one.

DarkPrimus on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Anybody else playing the 360 version? If so, how do I get the elemental powers achievements to pop? Whirlwind was easy since it's great crowd control, and Stone Armor had to be "kill dudes while using the armor" since it's a defensive power, but the fire one is screwing with me. Do the dudes need to die from Flame Trail, or is it enough that they die while it's active?

You have to kill them with the power for it to count. The ice one is pretty easy since you can just spam attack into a group once it's active, the fire one not so much, you have to whittle them down a bit, then activate it and just weave in and out of them laying down as much fire as you can.

ghost_master2000 on
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I decided to wait for a price drop before picking this up and I'm pleased to say my local GAME store has been very quick to oblige in providing said price drop.

Might be a while before I actually get around to playing it though. I really do need to finish off Mass Effect first.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited June 2010

You have to kill them with the power for it to count. The ice one is pretty easy since you can just spam attack into a group once it's active, the fire one not so much, you have to whittle them down a bit, then activate it and just weave in and out of them laying down as much fire as you can.

Good to know - although this information makes me like the fire power even less than before. Whirlwind and Stone Armor are great though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Good to know - although this information makes me like the fire power even less than before. Whirlwind and Stone Armor are great though.

I guess an alternate method would be to activate it multiple times in a row as well. You can usually kill the grunts by the second one doing it that way. That's with level 1 too. With level 4 you can probably take out quite a bit with 1 activation.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited July 2010
    So close to beating this and sending it back. The gold time trial is pretty intense, especially the white wall you can't see your rings on.
    I got through most of the shadow temple thing only to get gangraped by dogs and have to start over from the start. ugh. Is it really worth my time fighting all the enemies, or running around with my gauntlet up?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited July 2010
    This does not sound like the game I played. Is the Wii version super different or something?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This does not sound like the game I played. Is the Wii version super different or something?

Yeah the Wii version is a totally different game by a different team, with a unique story even. I think it's equally awesome though.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited July 2010
    I will have to look into this. Thanks!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finished it on PC. It's not bad, beats the shit out of Two Thrones and Warrior Within, but still doesn't come close to Sands of Time. Then again, Sands of Time was nigh-perfect.

LaCabra on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh, I'd say two thrones was better writing wise, this has better platforming.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arguably better writing in Two Thrones but the voiceacting and general low quality of the rest of the game fucked it up.
    edit: voiceacting for everyone but the prince and his alterego, that is. especially farah, vizier, empress of time, and actually that's pretty much everyone

LaCabra on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ...I honestly prefer two thrones to SoT. Apart from the cart and the two guy bossfight.

I like the sarcasticness of the princes two halves to each other. That said, I've replayed SoT more recently than TT so it might just be faded memories.

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited July 2010
    ...I honestly prefer two thrones to SoT. Apart from the cart and the two guy bossfight.

HERETIC!

Lewisham on