As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disc Sports - Mostly of the Ultimate and Golf varieties.

jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So yeah. Disc Golf.
bearcatdiscgolf.jpg
I'm new into it but getting into it pretty hard. Been playing a few months. We have a great 18 hole course here in Juneau, Alaska. It's a bit more treacherous than most Disc Golf courses as it's built in the middle of the northern most rain forest. What it lacks in distance it makes up for in obstacles.

Q: What is this sport you may ask?
A: Essentially you play golf with (not)frisbees. Throw from the starter box, play from where it lands to make it into a basket.

Q: Why is it cool?
A: Because the discs have cool names and because hipsters drinking pbr play.
D-Orc.jpg
+
hipster-2.jpg

Ultimately it is just something fun to do. My wife and I suck but love playing. I can maybe get 100-150 ft on a clear drive, nothing compared to pro's. We are thinking of building a practice basket. Let's hear your Frolf stories!
Burtletoy wrote: »
I miss all the sweet courses in Michigan, only 1 near me here in Kansas.

Ultimate frisbee against discussion in this thread?

As thread starter? Nope! Feel free to discuss disc golf OR ultimate frisbee, or any other disc related sport.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
0/8

PS2
FF X replay

PS3
God of War 1&2 HD
Rachet and Clank Future
MGS 4
Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
Fable 3

DS
FF: 4 heroes of light
jeddy lee on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hipsters or hippies?

I remember the latter playing, but I guess around that time the former weren't "in vogue".

It is fun though! We had a course that ran through the campus that saw heavy use year-round. If a dog caught it in the air it counted as a hole in one (because that is rad) and if a dog got it off the ground and ran away with it you lost the hole (because it is not rad).

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My local arboretum has a course that I play occasionally, and it is indeed a lot of fun. Lots of groundhogs around there, so we have something like the dog rule where if you hit one you get to take three strokes off your score!

(we do not have any such rule :P)

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I started playing Disc golf a bit in undergrad (doesn't everybody?), but started playing fairly regularly (at least once a week if the weather's nice) about 3 years ago. I find it just as, if not more enjoyable, than regular golf while being much less expensive, easier to introduce to friends, no worrying about tee times, and more environmentally friendly. I frequent 3 courses around the DC area, College Park, Seneca Creek, and Rockburn, all are nice courses and very different too.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been playing pretty much twice a week for the past 4 years, and played on and off for about 8. Most of the folks who play are hippies, but most of the are functional and bathed.

I really enjoy it. Though I'm fairly tiny, I can drive rather well and it's nice to surprise folks with the odd 350 drive. My putting needs a lot of work though and too frequently a couple of bad holes in a row can throw off a whole round.

I mostly drive backhand with mildly overstable plastic, and can get a lot of distance out of a nice big S shaped throw. I can manage shorter distanced flip(forehand) shots fairly well, but I lose all control when I try get any serious distance and tend to throw directly into the nearest canopy of tree limbs.

I can 'turboputt' a little when shrubbery and other obstacle demand it, but for most part I putt backhand. It's a simpler movement and there isn't some range where I have to switch from my approach throwing motion to some other putting specific action.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited May 2010
    There's got to be other disc golfers here! Anyways, I've been using a Innova sidewinder for driving, but I've been thinking that I should try some other disc. I throw forehand driving (I think since the wrist flick is similar to all my years throwing a baseball). Its hard for me to describe what my drives tend to do (and I don't really know if it is more of a function of my skill level or the disc itself), but I also have a Innova TL which sometimes goes just as far as my sidewinder despite the TL being heavier/slower disc.

So, I guess I'm really just looking for anyone experience/suggestions with forehand drivers.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I fucking hate frisbee golf. Ever since they open a course on campus, there have been a stream of people stomping around and throwing their 10lb discus like they're fucking Xena the warrior princess. Also, the stream of people is outright killing the wild preservation, and there is so much fucking trash around from these people.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Color me interested. I never knew this game existed. I did a quick check there is as many disc golf course as there is golf courses here.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
    edited May 2010
    pdga.com is pretty decent for finding courses.

Edit: Mega, Its not exactly LA area, but I played at a course in near the park (don't remember the name) near downtown San Diego that was pretty pimpin'. Was there for a conference, and thought I'd check it out just for the heck of it. I was not disappointed.

chrono_traveller on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Golf is not a sport.

Frisbee golf does have the benefit of being far less rage-inducing than it's traditional counterpart, though.

BubbaT on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Definitely hippies here! We have 3 great courses within a 30 minute drive and a handful more within an hour. So much fun and cheap as hell.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like frolf.

Bang Da chains

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Where i live in Iowa im with in driving distance of at least 10 coures, the town i live in has 2 for ti self. One was built around an old 9 hole golf course. It plays from wide open fairways to , some of the most tree infested crap you can imagaine. Our 2nd course can be played multipule ways with 2 differnt tee boxes and usualy 2 differnt baskets for each hole both positions differntly.

I have been playing for at least 8 years and still am not that good. I used to have a millinum ls polaris driver that worked great for me. Decent to great distance and always straight. One of the big things bout the discs are finding wich one throws right for you. Each has a differnt rating and when thrown either forehand or backhand will fall off and curve at the end either right or left. Really thats the hard part fidning the right disc. I think the best part about the game is 9 times out of 10 its free, the only expense you need to put into it is how much you spend on your Discs.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the words chrono_traveller. Their is 5 courses in striking distance from where I live. Two are about a hour drive from me.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Played this in PE in high school, had an 18 whole course at the park.

In South East Virginia

This means each hole has some combo of 2 areas

1) The big open field where you are standing and walking in 95 degree weather

2) The middle of the woods where theres a butt-ton of trees and the disc hits a tree every 5 feet and its still 90 degrees out oh my gosh why is it so hot

In summary, I do not enjoy disc golf

CangoFett on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My neighbor actually has a frolf course in his backyard. There are also a few at local parks. I used to have a disc set but I have no idea where they went.

Mortal Sky on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I guess this is 5-10 minutes away from me, I hear it's really good. I've been meaning to try playing, but I don't really know how to get into it.

UEAKCrash on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Burtletoy on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to play with a group of friends every week, truly the sport of kings, and definitely of hippies. At least in California

Weed :: Frisbee Golf as Beer :: Regular Golf

though there's a lotta beer on the Fgolf course too. All the different discs are cool too, though overpriced. I love my Roc midrange

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Really what game can you smoke a bowl, drink a couple beers etc etc and still have a good game ? i mean serious its such an everyman game.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Funny you make this thread. I played a round at 6 am this morning and again a couple hours ago. It's nice going in the morning because you usually find 3 or 4 discs if you're the first ones there. Today I found a putter and my friend found two pretty nice drivers. I guess Innova(SP?) is the name brand type of disc? I play in a heavily forested area with tons of obstacles and water hazards/snakes/spiders so there's no telling what you find when you go looking.. it really is relaxing and it feels SO good when you bank a shot in from 50 yards. I've just now started playing and have already been hitting some impressive shots. Although I have yet to master anything other than the traditional "backhand" style of throw.

Nothing I've done compared to what I witnessed my friend do today. Hole in one'd a par 3 in masterful fashion. It hit the tree above the chains and fell right in. Twas glorious.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited May 2010
    Draeven wrote: »
    Really what game can you smoke a bowl, drink a couple beers etc etc and still have a good game ? i mean serious its such an everyman game.

While I'm not one to smoke a bowl as it were, when I was at that aforementioned course in San Diego, it seemed to be par for the course (pun intended!). The others in my group (first time I'd ever seen a course so busy that you needed to go as a group of 4 and it wasn't a tournament) were so high. So very high. And to top it off, one of their bosses called them while we were on the course (it was a Friday I think, my conference started in the evening), and was apparently asking him where he was and why he wasn't at work. :shock: I'm not quite sure that he pulled off the "I'm sick" routine all that well. :P

chrono_traveller on
    edited May 2010
    I my self don't smoke, but alot of the people I disc with do. Also the 2 courses here that i play the most , you pretty much have to go with a group of 4 if its a very nice day.

Draeven on

• Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The coolest course I ever played was one they have up in the Santa Cruz foothills, I think it's DeLaVega. They have a "bonus" tee where you chuck it off the top of a mountain. It's cool as hell, though I'd say if you throw like me the chances of losing at least 1 disc somewhere on that course are... 100%

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love disc golf!

I played 18 holes on tuesday at a course I've never played before in Girdwood, AK. It was very nice, but I think as the summer progresses and the devil's club grows in it will be very very easy to lose a disc there.

Last night I played 9 holes with a bunch of engineers, it was super crowded. Disc golf is amazingly popular in Anchorage, it's not just for stoned burnouts anymore! I remember a few years ago you could go to the downtown course here on a sunny summer evening, barely see anyone, and finish 9 holes in 35 minutes. These days it probably takes about an hour and a half due to the crowds.

Boutros on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

As thread starter? Nope! Feel free to discuss disc golf OR ultimate frisbee, or any other disc related sport.

Played last night, and may go back again today, it's wonderful weather here. I've been working on an overhand Thumber / Tomahawk throw for dodging obstacles and more accuracy, and am getting quite good at it. I've also taken to loving my Disccraft Avenger more than any other disc, makes me want to try the Avenger SS. By far my favorite putter is the bowfly ii.

I hear the poster regarding trash though. It makes me angry when people leave their crap everywhere, but for the most part the course is clean and more responsible golfers pick up the trash as they go and every other hole has a trash bag at the start. Lots of hipsters and hippies do play the game, but regular joes play too and have just as much fun here.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dear lord yes.

I have a plethora of drivers, midrange, and putters. I can drive backhand or side-arm. I throw anhyzer shots (with proper disc) like carazy. I've got a nice roller too.

But I don't have a bag....well actually I do, but it's stocked with beers, not discs.

I love throwing my starfire when there is a tailwind. That sucker will fly for days.

Brucelee41042 on
    edited May 2010
    Back at the course I used most often in Michigan there was a bum that kept the park clean. He'd sweep the tees, he found a bunch of old buckets for ashtrays at every tee, and also had trash cans and things to recycle your cans/bottles in. He would then take all the bottles and cans for their deposit, and I guess that was how he made his living.

The guy was pretty sweet.

Burtletoy on
  • strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love... ultimate frisbee!! It's the most fun activity I've ever participated in. I've only been playing two years but I've been hooked, completely. It's crazy how many ways there are to throw a frisbee when you take the time to learn the throws. I still can't throw a huck in the wind though :( That's very tough.

I do like playing disc golf, too. I was spoiled growing up, playing on the Toronto Island course, which is gorgeous. When I play nowadays I play "ultimate rules," which is with an ultimate disc (175g) and where the disc lands is the where your pivot foot goes.

It's a lot of fun! Good thread:^:

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
    edited May 2010
    My old ultimate team used to refer to that as frolf, frisbee golf, which diferentiated it from disc golf, because we used frisbees rather than discs. I started playing ultimate at Grand Valley State University (I hear we are a pretty damn good team now a days) and was the team captin/coach/whatever my 2nd senior year.

All I have to say about canadian ultimate teams is that Goat was at least as annoying and assholish as Magnum was, which isnt the prescident you want your team to strive for.

Burtletoy on
    edited May 2010
    Playing at the course today from about 5 yards away I threw my bowfly and it landed ON TOP of the basket. Does that count as in?

It's crazy, my buddy played TERRIBLE until he downed a 22 oz from our brewery then he shot like a dream. We played all 18 and I got 8 over he got 6 over.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    edited May 2010
    In ultimate, drinking booze is considered a performance enhancing drug.

Burtletoy on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've played this a couple of times with friends. I dont really understand the proper form(s). There are guys (usually that travel with a bag with lots and lots of discs) that arent all that different from our group in strength but can throw the thing hella further, and I dont know why. Like twice as far at least.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited May 2010
    Spin spin spin

Burtletoy on
    edited May 2010
    I've played this a couple of times with friends. I dont really understand the proper form(s). There are guys (usually that travel with a bag with lots and lots of discs) that arent all that different from our group in strength but can throw the thing hella further, and I dont know why. Like twice as far at least.

Yeah, the trick is using the wrist to add spin on it. Once you get the motion down to spin, it asks as a helicopter, allowing it to maintain elevation and cut through the air better. You can find all sorts of youtube videos about what to do, then it's practice, practice, practice. I like going to a field with 2 guys on either end then throw 5 from your side, let him collect then he throws back, repeat.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    Playing at the course today from about 5 yards away I threw my bowfly and it landed ON TOP of the basket. Does that count as in?

It's crazy, my buddy played TERRIBLE until he downed a 22 oz from our brewery then he shot like a dream. We played all 18 and I got 8 over he got 6 over.

In tournaments it has to be in the basket. On the basket doesn't count. I don't know anybody who plays friendly games enforce that rule though.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yay! This thread is now Ultimate compatible!

I love ultimate. I haven't played in so long though. My junior year of college, one of my friends had an Ultimate game after his senior piano recital. It was on the program.
    1.) Music
    2.) Intermission
    3.) More music
    4.) Reception
    5.) Ultimate game

Another friend brought a couple bigass halogen worklights on a stand, and a glow in the dark frisbee. We played from about 8Pm to midnight. It was awesome.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Haha, we used to play tops versus bottoms in out night ultimate games with light up disc's.

So, people wearing shirt versus people wearing pants, if that part wasn't clear enough.

Burtletoy on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My college also had an (unofficial) nude ultimate game in the spring. One of the RDs tried to get that shut down.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Semi-nsfw, but not really so I'm just going to spoiler it.
    n22422778_35064900_8376.jpg

That might be me.

Maybe

Burtletoy on
    edited May 2010
    Lawrence Ultimate Summer League begins on tuesday.

I haven't run anywhere in like 5 months. This is going to be bad.

Burtletoy on