As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jack 'Batman' Thompson at it again: VS. Kotaku

• WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think we should send an email just reading

"Dear Jack

Have you ever considered a career in comedy? You're seriously one of the funniest men alive"

I want to see what happens.

Wallhitter on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We would get sued for harassment.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited April 2007
    What if we just...stared at a wall?

We'd get sued for harassment.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that eventually Jack's going to sue every living thing on the planet, regardless if it has even HEARD of him, for harassment.

Wallhitter on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    He seems to think any interaction is harassment. Honestly.

Soon he will be suing the rain. "I told the rain to stop, judge, but it just kept falling on me!"

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited April 2007
    He'll sue gravity!

"GRAVITY IS TEACHING OUR CHILDREN THAT THINGS FALL WE MUST STOP IT RAR I SUCK MASSIVE COCKS"

Wallhitter on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    "I went to the supermarket to buy groceries, and when the cashier rung me up, he asked that I ACTUALLY PAY FOR MY GROCERIES! This is clearly harrasment! I went him thrown into jail for 14576786236564325 years!"

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Let's get this back on the rails, plzkthx.

Echo on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seriously, is there even a whisper of hope that this will even get to court? Because he seriously needs to take a refresher course in law school or something. I mean, lawyers are suppose to be scumbags, not dumbasses!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cups42 wrote: »
    Seriously, is there even a whisper of hope that this will even get to court? Because he seriously needs to take a refresher course in law school or something. I mean, lawyers are suppose to be scumbags, not dumbasses!

Jack is both! He's like the Prell of douchebags.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lawsuit's on hold, for the time being:
    So, how’s that Law 101 class going?

Federal District Court Judge Paul Huck has dismissed a complaint filed yesterday against Gawker Media, parent company of the popular Kotaku game blog. In his ruling, Judge Huck wrote that controversial attorney Jack Thompson had failed to follow the proper federal court procedure for amending a complaint.

For his part, Thompson admits his mistake and pleads ignorance (we’ll buy that), citing distractions he says were caused today by the Florida Bar and an unnamed game website which published his home address and phone number.

Thompson vowed to the Court that he will re-file the Kotaku complaint, this time in accordance with the rules.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think Jacko should be the beggining guy in the next Phoenix Wright game.

Gorilla Salad on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »

"OBJECTION! This guy is batshit insane, and I can prove it!"

Couscous on
  • TheFonzTheFonz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How does any of these lawsuits even work?
    how do they exist

TheFonz on
    fourcrashers.jpg
    edited April 2007
    TheFonz wrote: »
    How does any of these lawsuits even work?
    how do they exist
    Well, you see Jimmy, when a man is raped by a pong machine at a young age...Gah, ask your mother.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Non-Existent FreezerNon-Existent Freezer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, I knew that Hompson crying because of Kotaku was coming, but I didn't think it would be over a comment on Kotaku. Let alone trying to get the FBI involved.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any more idiotic.

Non-Existent Freezer on
    g2kc7.png
    edited April 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    Lawsuit's on hold, for the time being:
    So, how’s that Law 101 class going?

Federal District Court Judge Paul Huck has dismissed a complaint filed yesterday against Gawker Media, parent company of the popular Kotaku game blog. In his ruling, Judge Huck wrote that controversial attorney Jack Thompson had failed to follow the proper federal court procedure for amending a complaint.

For his part, Thompson admits his mistake and pleads ignorance (we’ll buy that), citing distractions he says were caused today by the Florida Bar and an unnamed game website which published his home address and phone number.

Thompson vowed to the Court that he will re-file the Kotaku complaint, this time in accordance with the rules.

I wonder if the 12-year-old writing style of his had anything to do with it?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Phoenix wouldn't say a thing. Just let Thompson yell at him for 5 minutes while the judge tries to figure out how many charges for contempt of court he can get on Jacko.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited April 2007

Wikipedia wrote:
    In sending documents to opponents, Thompson would frequently attach a photocopy of his driver's license, with a photo of Batman pasted over his own, just to make sure they knew who they were dealing with. Thompson said, "I have sent my opponents pictures of Batman to remind them I'm playing the role of Batman. Just like Bruce Wayne helped the police in the movie, I have had to assist the sheriff of Broward County." He also wore a Batman wristwatch.
    O_o

TheFonz on
    fourcrashers.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In sending documents to opponents, Thompson would frequently attach a photocopy of his driver's license, with a photo of Batman pasted over his own, just to make sure they knew who they were dealing with. Thompson said, "I have sent my opponents pictures of Batman to remind them I'm playing the role of Batman. Just like Bruce Wayne helped the police in the movie, I have had to assist the sheriff of Broward County." He also wore a Batman wristwatch.
    O_o
    Dr. McNinja trained with batman. I say they fight over who is more like batman.

Gorilla Salad on
  • ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Wikipedia wrote:
    O_o

And all that was fine, until they found the thirteen year old locked up in his basement, wearing tights and a mask.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Phoenix wouldn't say a thing. Just let Thompson yell at him for 5 minutes while the judge tries to figure out how many charges for contempt of court he can get on Jacko.

I love you two so much.:lol:

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited April 2007

Wikipedia wrote:
    O_o

Is that true? I'm starting to think he really is nuts.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:
    O_o

And all that was fine, until they found the thirteen year old locked up in his basement, wearing tights and a mask.

We're not dealing with a regular lawyer here.

He's batman for godssake.

Metalfoot on
    edited April 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »

I love you two so much.:lol:
    I love you too, man.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited April 2007

Wikipedia wrote:
    O_o

Well, Wikipedia says it, and the source is a Washington Post article without a link.
    Kind of creepy, if it is true.

TheFonz on
    fourcrashers.jpg
    edited April 2007

Wikipedia wrote:
    O_o

Well, Wikipedia says it, and the source is a Washington Post article without a link.

...okay, I'm seriously thinking a bunch of gamers should dress up like The Joker.

Wallhitter on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Threatening to sue people who make comments about him on websites, does he really have nothing better to do?

Also I think it's about time to drag this old one out again.
    jtwarioware4nl.gif

-SPI- on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »
    He'll sue gravity!

"GRAVITY IS TEACHING OUR CHILDREN THAT THINGS FALL WE MUST STOP IT RAR I SUCK MASSIVE COCKS"

It's not "gravity". Gravity is just vague scientific nonsense, that's why they call it the "theory of gravity". It's just a theory.

I demand that you refer to it as "intelligent falling".
    Joke stolen from an old Onion article.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Threatening to sue people who make comments about him on websites, does he really have nothing better to do?

Also I think it's about time to drag this old one out again.
    PARTYGAMES

That thing needs a Wii update.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wikipedia wrote:
    O_o

batman.jpg
    The resemblance is uncanny.

That's all I'm going to be able to think about whenever I see his name now. I can't tell you how much that amuses me.

Älphämönkëy on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I wonder how much of your American Dollars has he wasted with his numerous lawsuits?

Even though your profile says London, I imagine that line said in the voice of Van Damme as Guile.
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am pretty sure this is his only "protect the children" based victory. Ever.

One too many.
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Jesus, this poor bastard satirizes himself. I wonder if he even realizes he's turned his name into a punchline over the years?

"A Rabbi, a Jedi, and a Priest walk into a bar... Jack Thompson."
    Pata wrote: »
    Go to his office, set down a yummy chocolate cake with the words "From the Gamers of the World" written on it at his door.

Knock on the door and leave.

The cake is not to tampered with in any way.

Let us see how he reacts.

By defecating on it and sending it to Take Two with a threatening letter telling them to stop harassing him.
    Metalfoot wrote: »
    Didn't gamers send him flowers once? I believe he sued them.

Flowers for Jack

Also: http://flowersforjack.livejournal.com/5610.html

phoenixvsthompson2dc.png

Sad part is, the Judge would still probably side against Phoenix. DOB plays favorites.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Those two images above have forever been branded on my brain for when I think "Jack Thompson." Oh lawd. Nice punchline example, LBD.

I wish I could add something to this that hasn't been already said. Jack Thompson threads write themselves.

Henroid on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am suddenly reminded of a Bill Bailey joke.

"Three men walk into a bar. One of them is a bit stupid. And the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability!"

Which pretty much sums up every single Jack Thompson videogame court case ever.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am suddenly reminded of a Bill Bailey joke.

"Three men walk into a bar. One of them is a bit stupid. And the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability!"

Which pretty much sums up every single Jack Thompson videogame court case ever.

Except for the ones where he brings placards and pisses off the judge by holding them up at random times and gets scolded like a kindergartner. Those are awesome.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Except for the ones where he brings placards and pisses off the judge by holding them up at random times and gets scolded like a kindergartner. Those are awesome.

Ooh, I forgot about that. What did he do again?

Echo on
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wikipedia wrote:
    O_o

batman.jpg
    The resemblance is uncanny.

That's all I'm going to be able to think about whenever I see his name now. I can't tell you how much that amuses me.

Okay, I am really tired of all this Thompson stuff, and even MORE tired of the hompson stuff, but my GOD. The batman quote, the wristwatch comment, and that PERFECT Batman cell has me on the floor spouting coffee out my nose. :lol:

Well played sirs, well played.

Smudge on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Jesus, this poor bastard satirizes himself. I wonder if he even realizes he's turned his name into a punchline over the years?

"A Rabbi, a Jedi, and a Priest walk into a bar... Jack Thompson."
    Ha! This only really did have me giggling like crazy for a few minutes.

WotanAnubis on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Echo wrote: »

Ooh, I forgot about that. What did he do again?

He brought a bunch of "visual aids" that basically amounted to BS "stats" about video games and violence when the judge was making his ruling on the injunction that Thompson requested re: selling Bully in Florida. Basically the judge was saying that after seeing the multiple hours long video demonstrating gameplay from Bully that he finds the suit completely without merit and then goes on to say that he's going to have to hand the case off to another judge because Thompson's irrational and childish behavior has made him hate the guy so much that he no longer feels that he can be impartial in deciding the case.

So basically, the judge was starting to hate Thompson for his behavior and was unable to separate that from the actual arguments of the case, so he felt it wise to recuse himself. But while he was making this statement about how Thompson was being immature and conducting himself like an ass and making a mockery of the legal system, Thompson kept interrupting him and holding up these signs, causing the judge to pause while talking about how much he hates Thompson to tell Thompson to, in essence, shut the fuck up because it's not his turn to talk.

EDIT: I couldn't remember before, but found it now. Destructiod caught it all on tape although it's super-hard to hear what the judge is saying. Direct link to the YouTube version if your company blocks Destructoid.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    just had to note, i loaded up this page, with the story of Jack 'man' Thompson at the top there, to see Alpha's avatar is wearing a Batman cap.

Every kind of win.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    It should also be noted that the case the judge recused himself from was partially due to the fact that Jack announced publicly that he would be running for that Judge's office.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.