As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Squats are a part of a balanced BIGMAN diet

tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Social Entropy++
tehmarken wrote:
So what's the process for a new bigman thread, does somebody just hafta make it?

They sure do, and that person could be you!

So here's gonna be the shittiest OP in BIGMAN history.

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG, BE BIG.

BIGMAN.

I WANT TO GET FIT. WHAT DO I DO?

Here's my little attempt to impart some wisdom.

FIRST: Define what you call fit. Learn what exactly you want in tangible terms.
For example:
I want to look better. - They way you look is based on 3 things: genetics, body fat, muscle mass. You can't change genetics, but we can change fat and muscle. Muscle gives you a "toned" look; firm and smooth. Fat is flabby and looks bad. So to look better, you want to decrease fat and increase muscle.

To reduce bodyfat: eat fewer calories than your burn. The easiest way to do that is to REDUCE THE CALORIES YOU EAT. Processed food (fast food like McDonalds) and carb heavy food (sugary sweets and breads) are usually the biggest source of calories for people. Cutting these down or out are the easiest way to fix your diet.
Every little thing helps. Switch from soda to diet soda. Switch from white bread to whole grain/oat. Stop putting sugar in your coffee. Use less salad dressing or use low-cal types.

To increase muscle: Use it or lose it. To increase muscle to need to give your body a reason to. Lifting weights is how to increase your strength. Rippotoe's Starting Strength (wiki is below) is a great guide to start with.

But I don't want to look like a monstrous pro-wrestler or Mr Olympia - There's a difference between muscle mass and muscle hypertrophy. Bodybuilders and wrestlers do specialized routines and diets to engorge their muscles. Unless you're TRYING to look like a bodybuilder, you don't have to worry. For most people, you probably won't notice a big difference in your physique after you start strength training. Everything just gets a more defined look, like gymnasts.

Useful resources:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
If you're not strong, and you want to be strong, this is a good place to start. No matter how weak you are, or how inept you think you are, you should try this out.

http://www.exrx.net
Useful resources, listing of exercises categorized by what muscles they work, and animeated gifs to show you how to do them.

tehmarken on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Continuing from last thread, I'm working on fixing my workout routine.

I liked your idea kako, except the only incline at my gym is a smith machine. :frownyface:

tehmarken on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Was flipping through a muscle mag at the gym and their spotlight exercise was the reverse grip Smith machine bench press.

No joke.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Today is payday in Japan, I'm gonna be shopping for protein and creatine today. Time to put my linguist skills to the test.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh god I reset my squats today because my 5-3-1 routine was starting to look more like 4-2-0. My final set ended up being 12 reps long. 13 if you count collapsing to the floor in a sweaty gasping heap as a rep.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Today is payday in Japan, I'm gonna be shopping for protein and creatine today. Time to put my linguist skills to the test.

Just watch, everything gon' be in katakana. Katakana and kanji.

Screw katakana . . .

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The worst part is how the katakana often isn't English katakana.

Notorium is their word for Sodium (salt) :(

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Notorium is a much better word really though

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What?

The worst Katakana I've found is the one for Los Angeles. Also kanji. Fuck kanji.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hurghhg god damnit I want to go swimming

Stupid stomach why must you digest things so badly

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's supposed to be the latine Natrium. (Now that I think, It may be Natorium in katakana). I think they use the latin for all the elements, which can be weird for some.

Kanji is also usually a beast, but I studied Japanese for 3 years in college and I've been living here for almost a year so I'm getting by. Thankfully my iphone has a japanese/english dictionary on it.

I'm foreseeing problems figuring out sugar vs carbs vs complex carbs though.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Writing the kanji is what seems like a bitch. Hiragana/katakana is usually fewer strokes.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Japaneasy is such a SMALLMAN language.

You should speak Russian or Polish

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'd like to learn Russian. Such a sexy language,.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Learning Polish adds 50 lbs to your squat.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Everything is squatting.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    hectorse wrote: »

I'd counter by citing Sumo, but actually most of the best guys now are Mongolian / Russian.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »

slow digestion is not something that's stopped me from hopping into the pool before. but if you're the type to yak easily, then i guess i would recommend against it.

spazmojack on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Continuing from last thread, I'm working on fixing my workout routine.

I liked your idea kako, except the only incline at my gym is a smith machine. :frownyface:

Is there just an incline bench or adjustable bench? You can do incline DB presses if that's the case.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    Was flipping through a muscle mag at the gym and their spotlight exercise was the reverse grip Smith machine bench press.

No joke.

Those magazines are awesome, I flip through the new Muscle and Fitness at my library each month. I think it's just the pressure of putting a new one out each month, they start coming up with crazy shit just to fill space.

Peen on
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hectorse wrote: »

I'd counter by citing Sumo, but actually most of the best guys now are Mongolian / Russian.

They still have ninjas. Ninjas don't need no stinkin squats.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My options for gyms this summer are 2bucks a day, or 200 bucks for the summer. CHOICES!

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    spazmojack wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »

slow digestion is not something that's stopped me from hopping into the pool before. but if you're the type to yak easily, then i guess i would recommend against it.

Oh no, it was the 'rhea, I have no problems getting in the pool right after eating :P

Ledneh on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010

No joke.

So the fuck what?

If you don't want to have to bug some jaggoff to help you unrack/re-rack the bar, Smith machines are the best way to do reverse-grip bench presses.

Or is this the thread wherein we pretend that Smith machines are only for bros and that we all squat Volkswagens before breakfast?

necroSYS on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010

No joke.

Those magazines are awesome, I flip through the new Muscle and Fitness at my library each month. I think it's just the pressure of putting a new one out each month, they start coming up with crazy shit just to fill space.

Nah, Muscle and Fitness is probably the best source of information out there for lifters.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My options for gyms this summer are 2bucks a day, or 200 bucks for the summer. CHOICES!

if you're only gonna go three days a week, $2 a day is probably the better deal

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    by far, it adds up for about 90 bucks for the 3 summer months

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    necroSYS wrote: »

No joke.

So the fuck what?

If you don't want to have to bug some jaggoff to help you unrack/re-rack the bar, Smith machines are the best way to do reverse-grip bench presses.

Or is this the thread wherein we pretend that Smith machines are only for bros and that we all squat Volkswagens before breakfast?

It was more the reverse grip that caught my eye -- seems like a good way to smash your face.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i don't squat volkswagens before breakfast

but i do have to do the caber toss for my morning piss

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

No joke.

So the fuck what?

It was more the reverse grip that caught my eye -- seems like a good way to smash your face.

I saw a guy doing them the other day, on the regular bench.

He kept it pretty light -- though in fairness, I don't really have any way of knowing what's "light" for him. I can say that he was a pretty small, lean dude.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Psh, Volkswagens are for little girls. Real americans squat F150s. (Note: I am not, in fact, american.)

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Finally back at the gym after a period of exams, knee troubles and being ill. Felt so fucking good to squat, even if I went all the way down to 55kg just to get started again. Felt I was leaning forward too much though, my form certainly was a little rusty. But damn I have missed the feeling after a workout.

Rasmus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How do you guys do YTWL's, btw? All the videos I've seen have it being done on an inclined bench, feet-down head-up. Izzat right?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yeah i dig the incline bench ytwls. Check out the tuminelo article posted at the end of the last thread. I found it pretty interesting

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2010

No joke.

So the fuck what?

Reverse grip bench is a way of putting more emphasis on the tricep, there's nothing wrong with it other than the fact that you can't safely unrack the weight yourself.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So what are YTWLs?

tehmarken on
  • Options
    Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Starting Insanity tomorrow, pretty pumped up

Cornell002 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So what are YTWLs?

You lay down on an incline bench (I think it's called the plank?), facing down, and with dumbbells or small plates form a Y, T, W, and then L (by letting your forearms come down while keeping your elbows in the same position) shape with your arms. There're demo videos on YouTube.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Those sound pretty neat, like the same principle as arnold presses.

In other news, it's June 1st, and I'm at 22% bodyfat. My goal had been 20% bodyfat for June, and to squat my bodyweight (90kg). I succeeded in only one goal.

So, I'm going to take June and do some serious cutting. I've gotten my diet under control, so now I'm gonna add in more exercise. I'm gonna focus on doing a calorie burn everyday. With the weather warming up, I'm gonna give swimming in the Sea a try soon. In the meanwhile, I've got my feet and a bicycle for when I'm not at the gym.

Project 20 or Bust begins now!

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm at 210 lbs. @ 21.40% BF. My scale's pretty sketchy, though -- it gives me really different BF% numbers based on how hydrated I am, but I guess that's to be expected from a reading based on an electric pulse.

Would just be nice to get an accurate reading without having to have downed a gallon of water.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, water would also you make you weigh more without adding fat, so that would lower your body fat percentage. Conversely, stepping on a BF% measurer while dehydrated will give a higher body fat% than normal.

tehmarken on
This discussion has been closed.