As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ever Been to a Urologist?

MeshaKMeshaK Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This story is not for the weak-stomached. I spoilered the gross parts.
I am almost positive that I passed a kidney stone last night...standing up. I thought I just had to urinate, but apparently it was more than that. There was intense pain followed by what I can only describe as a "shotgun-type blast" of blood from my urethra. There were chunks of something spattered through the blood, but in my haste to clean it up before I passed out from the pain I did not think to grab a sample to show my doctor. Watching blood squirt from my penis was not a pleasant experience, and quite honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever look at it the same way again.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been to a urologist for this or a similar reason. If so, I just want to know what to expect. I am honestly kind of freaked out by the whole thing. Any ideas?

MeshaK on

• Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TBH I wouldn't sweat it too much. They're likely to conduct a physical examination of some kind to rule out infections or cancer, make you pee in a cup for more of the same, and probably give you a CT scan/MRI/X-ray to see if there are any more stones. After that you can probably expect to be on antibiotics for a few days in case any type of UTI sneaked in.

For you, I think the worst part is over. But do go to the doctor, that's what they're there for.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MeshaK wrote: »
    This story is not for the weak-stomached. I spoilered the gross parts.
    I am almost positive that I passed a kidney stone last night...standing up. I thought I just had to urinate, but apparently it was more than that. There was intense pain followed by what I can only describe as a "shotgun-type blast" of blood from my urethra. There were chunks of something spattered through the blood, but in my haste to clean it up before I passed out from the pain I did not think to grab a sample to show my doctor. Watching blood squirt from my penis was not a pleasant experience, and quite honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever look at it the same way again.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been to a urologist for this or a similar reason. If so, I just want to know what to expect. I am honestly kind of freaked out by the whole thing. Any ideas?

Oh god why I did I read the spoiler.

I'm going to my room to cry and cut myself now.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    A.TurnerA.Turner Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I have been to a Urologist. Do not worry about the time you will spend there nor the fact that you were not able to get a sample. It is most likely that whatever caused you to bleed like that is still there (scary!) or at the very least the remnants of it are still there.(still scary!)

I do hope that it is just a simple problem that can be fixed with antibiotics or a change in the diet. God speed!

A.Turner on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I work with Urologists, I can say without any degree of uncertainty they are the most laid back coolest doctors ever. I don't know what it is about the specialty, but every single one of them is awesome people.

That being said, we often joke about no matter how awesome you are, everyone ends out on that table eventually. They have to do some things that would be called uncomfortable, but nothing exceptionally painful if the person is awake.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    MeshaKMeshaK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You guys have definitely helped calm me down in terms of what to expect. I guess I always imagined Urologists to be somber folks who like sticking things up your pee hole. Although now that I think about it, I guess there is a reason that people choose that profession, so it can't be all bad. I am definitely going to the doctor, but of course it is a holiday weekend so I'll have to wait until at least Tuesday. Might be longer because the ones on my PPO may not have openings. But I have been drinking cranberry juice just in case there was a UTI in there. And my urine has been clear all day today, so I'm hoping the worst is over. Thanks bunches, y'all!

MeshaK on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't drink cranberry. That dehydrates. You need water! Drink water. A lot of water. Not so much you're using the bathroom every 30 min, but enough so that you're pee is clear-ish as oppose to deep yellow.

I've had 3 (yes, three) kidney stones.

Things that may be linked to kidney stones:
    -Alcohol use
    -High amounts of protein (think dairy, milk, cheese etc. Also, protein powder)
    -Anything with high amounts of calcium

Basically a "kidney stone" when you feel it is a little ball of hardened stuff that is irritating the lining of something inside you. When that lining gets irritated it contracts, and you double over in pain. You need to give those linings as much flexibility as possible, hence water.

EDIT:
    Disclaimer: Obviously not a doctor, but having had 3 of these I've heard this advice a few times.

Double EDIT:
    Also, do not try to hit on the radiology nurses. They will be amused, but then point out you have a broken penis (albeit temporarily). Just sayin...

Iceman.USAF on