As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Krazy Ken steps down! (SONY Reshuffles)

• Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why would you talk about revenue? It completely fails to take into account costs. Revenue doesn't mean shit if you've got bills up to your eyeballs. It a poor indicator of "how much money X has."

Dude

a) this argument is dead. I wasn't arguing about who has more money. I was just arguing against that one was bigger than the other. Someone was saying that Sony was "Mom's Book store" while MS was "Barnes and Noble."

b) I've already collected my Internet Achievement Points for being right and there are no takebacks on those as per Internet law

DesertBox on
  • Options
    MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Unwritten internet law, so you can't hold it to him or anything.

But definitely internet law.

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Why would you talk about revenue? It completely fails to take into account costs. Revenue doesn't mean shit if you've got bills up to your eyeballs. It a poor indicator of "how much money X has."

Dude

a) this argument is dead. I wasn't arguing about who has more money. I was just arguing against that one was bigger than the other. Someone was saying that Sony was "Mom's Book store" while MS was "Barnes and Noble."

b) I've already collected my Internet Achievement Points for being right and there are no takebacks on those as per Internet law

The progression of the quote tree does not agree.

Quote trees never lie.

EDIT: I guess I could be more specific. The topic of the discussion as per the tree was "Who has the most money"

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

Dude

The progression of the quote tree does not agree.

Quote trees never lie.

EDIT: I guess I could be more specific. The topic of the discussion as per the tree was "Who has the most money"

Damn, looking at the quote, I actually should've said "is bigger than" instead of "has more money than." That's what I meant.
    Really, I did! I swear!
    Don't take my points

DesertBox on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This visual representation may help clear things up.

microsoft.JPG
    sony.jpg
    Nintendo is winning because they're sitting on all the vespene gas

Tiemler on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oooooooooooooooh.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    This visual representation may help clear things up.

microsoft.JPG
    sony.jpg
    Nintendo is winning because they're sitting on all the vespene gas

Case closed.

august on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    but sony has larvas, the element of surprise.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    but apparently they've forgotten how to zerg rush

Guek on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait... then who are the Protoss?

And what of the hybrid? Whaaaaat?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That's the geekiest analogy in the history of the known universe.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

well the dark templar represent the current nintendo. they've come back from banishment and exile to kick ass and take over minds. miyamoto is artanis or fenix, Yamauchi is aldaris, iwata is zeratul, and reggie...uh...jim raynor...i guess.

Guek on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Guek wrote: »

well the dark templar represent the current nintendo. they've come back from banishment and exile to kick ass and take over minds. miyamoto is artanis or fenix, Yamauchi is aldaris, iwata is zeratul, and reggie...uh...jim raynor...i guess.

I guess that would make Perrin Kaplan Kerrigan.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

so, Kerrigan is Perri Kaplan, she is going to be "left behind" by nintendo, for saying a bunch of lies, and then she will join sony and fuck everyone's shit up??

EDIT-beated. :(

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You know, Kerrigan was the first girl I was ever attracted to.

Post-transformation Kerrigan, I mean.

Please don't ruin it for me.

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Metalfoot wrote: »

I'm sorry, but you have it coming. You really do.

I am so sorry.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Metalfoot wrote: »

I'm sorry, but you have it coming. You really do.

I am so sorry.

I'm not going to click that.

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's a Hockey Zombie comic. I dunno if it even counts as NSFW.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ah, ok, let me get to that.

Ah... D:

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ken K did some good. He cared about technology and stuff, he just didn't know what the consumer really wanted. All this crazy shit is cool on paper, but not many people are willing to pay $600 for a game console.

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ken K did some good. He cared about technology and stuff, he just didn't know what the consumer really wanted. All this crazy shit is cool on paper, but not many people are willing to pay $600 for a game console.

Only 3 million people so far :D

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's good to have a positive attitude, Threepio, but at this point in the game you can say "only three million" without so much as a hint of irony.

It's hard to read the intent of your post with that damn smiley.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay.

Sony honestly expected to sell far more then they have.

At the current month-to-month rate of sale, should it continue as is for all three, they will not surpass either of the competition.

But to have sold 3 million systems despite all of the horrid press and abhorrent price is quite a feat, in my opinion.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    Okay.

At the current month-to-month rate of sale, should it continue as is for all three, they will not surpass either of the competition.

But to have sold 3 million systems despite all of the horrid press and abhorrent price is quite a feat, in my opinion.

why didn't it seem like anyone held that kind of attitude with the gamecube? maybe i'm just jaded but i remember a lot of doom and gloom and "olol third place, go third party too why doncha!"

Guek on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    why didn't it seem like anyone held that kind of attitude with the gamecube? maybe i'm just jaded but i remember a lot of doom and gloom and "olol third place, go third party too why doncha!"
    This forum is filled to the fucking gills with people who held that attitude.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2007

wait...are you agreeing with me here...?

Guek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

No.

Sure, there were a few very loud voices here screaming that Nintendo was doomed... and lots of analysts were saying tons of stupid stuff... but the cube was the most popular console of the three main competitors here at G&T, real world aside.

Despite the fact that I really REALLY like my 360, i do try and hold a moderate view of these things, and I think the PS3 has been the second most shat upon console by the community here, just behind the Phantom... and while there are REASONS to be pessimistic towards the system, there is no reason whatsoever to think it is utterly doomed.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

No.

Sure, there were a few very loud voices here screaming that Nintendo was doomed... and lots of analysts were saying tons of stupid stuff... but the cube was the most popular console of the three main competitors here at G&T, real world aside.

Despite the fact that I really REALLY like my 360, i do try and hold a moderate view of these things, and I think the PS3 has been the second most shat upon console by the community here, just behind the Phantom... and while there are REASONS to be pessimistic towards the system, there is no reason whatsoever to think it is utterly doomed.

Motherfucking Lynx...

Oh, you said console.

Carry on

"Doomed" has always been such a strong term. A bit of an overstatement for the current situation. Now if someone said that the Saturn was doomed in the US, or the XBOXEN were/are doomed in Japan, or the Gamecube was doomed in Austrailia, I could go for that. Its a bit too early for PS3 to actually be doomed, and its selling at a fairly good clip. A good $200+ pricedrop would certainly help though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's not really surprising, since he was removed from the top job a few months back. Ken had become WAY too cocky after the massive success of the PS1 and PS2 and this is really evident from what Howard Stringer said a few months back (where he said Kutaragi would do whatever he wanted and wouldn't pay much attention to what Stringer said).

It is, however, a little sad that the guy went from pretty much being single handedly responsible for producing the PS1, to being kicked out of the top spot and retiring.

Kaz Hirai though, seems to be a cool guy. Howard Stringer said he had had some good experiences working with him when Stringer has the head of Sony America (from my understanding, that was one of the main reasons why he got promoted). He also doesn't mind making fun of himself (he made fun of his E3 memes at Sony's pre-launch Gamers Day), which is proof enough that he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Someone should make a
    "Krazy Ken can't run a business..."
    "BUT... HE... CAN... DANCE!"
    Animated GIF or something.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay.

It's 3 mill with some less than stellar games. It'll pick up and at least take 2nd place if not 1st in the end. If not, I'll eat my cock since it will still be safe when MGS4 remains a PS3 exclusive.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dark, I like the new, more moderate you, but you put your cock on the line way too much.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »
    Dark, I like the new, more moderate you, but you put your cock on the line way too much.

DW is a Teefs alt?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If both Terrorbyte and Dark Warrior actually eat their cock I will eat my cock.

bruin on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »

It's the best way to bet. Noone is willing to bet theirs against you.

I do think the PS3 will do well in the end. Its sold a LOT already. Not as mch as Sony probably wanted but still... And thats before any price drop. Plus Sony seem to have learned their lesson and built a much more stable and reliable system. Of course it waits to be seen because I don't think people's PS2 drives failed very early on, it took like a year or so and some heavy duty games but hopefully the system is as solid as it seems. I'm having an absolute fucking blast on it and I'm only playing the online component of Resistance so far. Waiting in agony for Spidey 3 next week to web swing my way to orgasmic pleasure.

Or something like that.

Wii, I respect for what its trying to do. But in the end, and this is only MY opinion, I think its a gimmick that will get old for some people. I like the DBZ game where you motion the Kamehameha and things like that but otherwise it seems to be a great deal of mini-games. Its an excellent Multiplayer device though, undoubtedly. I can see it faring well simply off the people who'd rather invest in that then those crappy stand alone party games.

360, I still don't understand the support it gets with its fail rate. But like someone here has said before, only the people with problems are complaining so maybe it seems a great deal more than it is. I only know from my own experience in store that we had a hell of a lot of Xmas returns, mostly because the HD was making a noise like a blender churning nuts and bolts. I give it credit for Dead Rising but nothing else interests me on that particular system.

And 2 weeks away from the forum without listening to PS3 haters has done me good. Unfortunately I'll be away even longer until my home net is back up. :( BT suck.
    bruin wrote: »
    If both Terrorbyte and Dark Warrior actually eat their cock I will eat my cock.

Depends on your definition of eat ;)

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What I find strange is that Nintendo is allowing Konami to basically advertise for the next Metal Gear game in one of their most popular franchises.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »
    What I find strange is that Nintendo is allowing Konami to basically advertise for the next Metal Gear game in one of their most popular franchises.

twin snakes 2 confirmed

LewieP on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »

Bah, Snake appeared on GC before, and Super Smash doesn't feature the MGS4 Snake. Unless... alternate skin!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    360, I still don't understand the support it gets with its fail rate. But like someone here has said before, only the people with problems are complaining so maybe it seems a great deal more than it is. I only know from my own experience in store that we had a hell of a lot of Xmas returns, mostly because the HD was making a noise like a blender churning nuts and bolts. I give it credit for Dead Rising but nothing else interests me on that particular system.

I think it's because, for the most part, their customer service is good and gets you a new console pretty quickly, and there's an asshole of great exclusives on the console and coming out this year for the console. I've had a worse experience with dying 360s than probably anyone here (seriously, I do not want to talk about it), but I'm willing to put up with it if it means I get to play Halo 3 and Mass Effect and Bioshock, etc. and it's not like breaking every 3 weeks.

Is it a pain? Yes. Do I think it sucks? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? No.

bruin on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Neither I or any of my personnal friends had their 360 break but I can't deny that we heard plenty of people on the internet say their 360 broke. I barely ever heard about defective Wiis or PS3s.

Right now I'm highly skeptical that PS3 will reach the #1 spot, or even #2, but this generation is still young. There's still plenty of time for things to change, so it's not impossible. A good start would be to change their stupid marketing strategy.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507