As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A thread on shitty days and tough decisions

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ok the one in the lower left has a very inappropriate expression on her face considering how close she is to his donger

MrMonroe on
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    somebody fucking shoot this fucking guy

2080_1210391782220_280_141.jpg

Ruby Rhod on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    she's looking at his manly belt buckle

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    ok the one in the lower left has a very inappropriate expression on her face considering how close she is to his donger

'unfortunate'

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited May 2010
    to shoe:

We'll be fine. Man i am really glad we've known eachother for so long. After 13 years this is but a minor set-back.

But i still bawled like a baby when i heard it.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sucks we're in that fine age where a doctor can tell you exactly what's wrong with the child you're about to have but can't do shit about it

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • bosleybosley Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    all jokes aside bwanie, people with downs go on to lead fulfilling lives. Have faith.

bosley on
    YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE SIG
    edited May 2010
    bosley wrote: »
    all jokes aside bwanie, people with downs go on to lead fulfilling lives. Have faith.

i'm affraid this one won't.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited May 2010
    shit i am in a foul mod that is a terrible thing to say

edit: one magnificent typo ladies and gentlemen.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    >_<

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • bosleybosley Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    its ok man. chalk it up to stress.

bosley on
    YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE SIG
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I do not envy that position. Like you said, from outside it's a pretty easy mathematical decision, but being involved makes it a very very emotional decision. I don't think anyone that hasn't made that decision for themselves already is able to say what they'd do.

But at the end of the day there's no wrong decision. I haven't got the right words to phrase the two sides of the coin. Either you have the baby or you don't. Legitimate arguments can be made for either side.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
    edited May 2010
    it's what it is BEJ.

like i said it's pretty cut and dry but this shit just claws it's way into your mind.

and the last thing i want is subject my wife to my useless ramblings, so you guys will have to do.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    well for what it's worth, internet bro hugs.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
    edited May 2010
    it's worth 500 internet compassion points

so 3 more bro hugs and i can get the back-pat booster

edit: this sounds really sarcastic. not intended.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dang bwanie, tough stuff :( internet bro hugs. if i could, i would ice you, bro

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited May 2010
    frostey the broman

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dude, hugging you so hard right now.

Spacehog on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry to hear this news branie.

Me and my true love went through some troubles this last year. Both of us are 35+ and too old (imo) to be making babies.

My girl has kids from a previous marriage, the oldest of which is special needs. Her ex-husband is highly educated but won't get a job or pay support for his children. The younger children do without many things because of the needs of their older sister. They also suffer near constant stress and sometimes abuse from their sibling. Her daughter has even gone to "kids jail" over skipping school repeatedly. The legal fees only add to the family's money problems. The special needs child has emotional problems probably from the anger she feels about not getting what everyone else has in life. She makes everyone else in her life suffer and caring for her hurts so bad. You can be so angry at her, then feel guilty for blaming her, and then angry at her seconds later. It is very complex emotionally. My girl is trained in special education so she can help her daughter more. This is not what she planned to do with her life but is still fulfilling I suppose. She has dozens of children she works with professionally and most of them live very sad lives, how she can cope with more is beyond me.

I was born with problems and have had them to deal with my whole life. I know how lousy it feels to be a burden. I know how it burns to have to struggle to get something everyone else just gets for nothing. I know it plays a horrible trick on a kid's mind to have to work so hard for things other kids take for granted. My whole life I knew I didn't want to have children, I couldn't accept the possibility that I would pass on my problems to anyone else; much less all the future generations that might someday inherit them.

Me and my lady were using birth control and still got pregnant. Abortion was something we had talked about before even having sex. I thought we were clear but my girl could not go through with it. She has nearly died during childbirth and is a bleeder. No one would provide abortion for her because of the possible medical complications. Having this child would have been equally dangerous. We decided to make a go of the pregnancy after much difficulty. I had to prepare myself for a situation I had always thought I could avoid. And it felt good to look forward to it even though I never wanted it in the least.

Our second ultrasound told us the baby had died. (The procedure to remove the remains is identical to abortion btw) The same people who would not provide abortion were very happy to remove our baby's corpse. We left the hospital and that night a drug prescription almost killed my lady. We had to return to the hospital. Why they didn't give her the drug before they had her leave the hospital is something I don't understand. Our country doesn't have good medical care unless you have lots of money. They gave her meds they knew might make her sick but would have had to let her stay if she was sick, so they made her go home before taking them.

Now that you have the backstory I hope you can take my advice while knowing where I come from.

If I was you I'd make sure you chose to terminate the pregnancy. You should take the responsibility of deciding what to do so your wife doesn't need to decide. Don't make your wife feel guilt and shame on top of grief and loss. Let her blame you and let her be angry at you, even if she will never be able to get over it. Don't make her decide, be the man and decide and do it to protect her.

Both of you should realize that she could be harmed or killed trying to deliver a baby with physical defects. Your woman's ability or willingness to reproduce may be destroyed by a problem birth. If any fetus threatened my lady's life or well-being then I would act to defend her. I would have to live with the results of my actions. Living with the results of inaction would be worse, in my opinion and experiences.

Your lives and the lives of other children you have (or may someday have) will be lives of sacrifice and shared suffering if you choose life above quality of life. There are indeed worse things than death. This is a cruel world to people that are different and it is downright horrible to people that can't keep up.

Don't let soulless religious philosophies extend and prolong your family's suffering. You might love a child with problems but most of the rest of the world will not. They will pretend to care if they can make money by doing so but few people can honestly open their heart to lifetimes of suffering. In addition to physical, mental, and emotional problems any special child has to live a life in a world that thinks it is fine to mock them. Retarded people are treated to viscous stereotypes and cruel treatment and very few people look out for them. The mistreatment against race and religion will be long gone before the mistreatment of slow people, imo.

If the world was less mercenary or cruel then I'd say you should have the child and love it as long as god lets you but I don't believe we are living in that perfect world. I don't even think we are living in a world where god lives.

I wish that I had been given a clean death before my birth, now that I am here I can't quit. I have to stay now but I have often wished in my heart that I didn't have to live this life. To learn the things I have about this world and how it treats the unfortunate makes me wish I had been stillborn or too retarded to understand the things I do.

Your choice is between going through something horrible and going through something much worse. Love will give you strength to do anything to prevent something worse.

Stay strong for those around you and know you will be able to work through the experience later once everyone else is fine. You need to take as much of the suffering as possible if only to protect others from it. Its not fair but that is what the man does.

Foolproof on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's no moon!

Hunter on
    edited June 2010
    It's a space poster!

Ruby Rhod on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    but foolproof doesn't have a moon radio

Antimatter on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    he doesn't have to

after all, the moon rings like a bell

Centipede Damascus on
    edited June 2010
    Upon actually reading your post Foolproof, that is pretty sad, so I'm sorry for that. Perhaps you should tone down the other crazy talk in the future though so you aren't completely ignored on the important stuff.

Ruby Rhod on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    Upon actually reading your post Foolproof, that is pretty sad, so I'm sorry for that. Perhaps you should tone down the other crazy talk in the future though so you aren't completely ignored on the important stuff.

I think you might consider not dismissing things as crazy when they might just be coming from the other direction. The least thing I can salvage from my experiences is sharing what I learn to maybe help someone else. I might be full of shit but it is not for profit. Every politician and media source is bullshitting you for money. I am doing it because I think it is the right thing to do. There is a big difference between the two.

Foolproof on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Foolproof wrote: »

I think you might consider dismissing things as crazy when they might just be coming from the other direction. The least thing I can salvage from my experiences is sharing what I learn to maybe help someone else. I might be full of shit but it is not for profit. Every politician and media source is bullshitting you for money. I am doing it because I think it is the right thing to do. There is a big difference between the two.

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but then again you enjoy cock on a level beyond connoisseur.

Hunter on
    edited June 2010
    Foolproof wrote: »

I think you might consider not dismissing things as crazy when they might just be coming from the other direction. The least thing I can salvage from my experiences is sharing what I learn to maybe help someone else. I might be full of shit but it is not for profit. Every politician and media source is bullshitting you for money. I am doing it because I think it is the right thing to do. There is a big difference between the two.

Well then do what my mom does: Gradually introduce the crazy. (or sane for you).

Ruby Rhod on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    God, Foolproof is more than 35 years old?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Foolproof, respect for being open about your troubles. You're still throwing out some pretty unfounded stuff, but whatever.

Label on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Label wrote: »
    Foolproof, respect for being open about your troubles. You're still throwing out some pretty unfounded stuff, but whatever.

where?
    People are totally shitty to the mentally ill and the developmentally delayed, disabled, or what have you.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited June 2010

Yeah, I'm aware. I feel that the world is pretty arbitrary and not always overflowing with truth. I don't need to be any better than the rest of my world.

Lots of people think they are separate and superior to their world. I consider this snobbery and delusional thinking. I'd be twice as bad as I am if I could avoid that kind of thing any more.

To try to claim sanity in a world full of insane people is a wasted effort. Even if by some cosmic fluke it turned out that I was the only sane person then what good what that even be? Could a sane person even stay mentally stable in this environment. I doubt it.

Foolproof on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously thought that was gonna be a Bel-Aire, Foolproof.

George Fornby Grill on
    edited June 2010
    Seriously thought that was gonna be a Bel-Aire, Foolproof.

I don't know what that means. Will you explain it to me?

Foolproof on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A bel air is a long story that usually ends by surprisingly segueing into the theme to the fresh prince of bel air

this one time, I saw it on a forum and my mom got scared

she said "you're moving to your auntie and uncle's in bel air"

BugBoy on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Trillian wrote: »

where?
    People are totally shitty to the mentally ill and the developmentally delayed, disabled, or what have you.

Yeah, there are a few things in that post which I would disagree with, but a mentally/physically challenged kid is going to live a crappy life no matter what anyone tells you, and the successes that they may make are in spite of all the shit that is heaped upon them daily by people who just don't give a fuck.

One of my brothers was misdiagnosed with aspergers most of his life, and while he's graduated high school and gone on to CC (mostly), he's had a hell of a time growing up, and even contemplated suicide, because of the way people have treated him over something that wasn't actually the case!

In reality he, along with my other brother, only has a slight reading and speech impediment, but even with that taken into consideration they're still dicked over by education systems, and occasionally still take crap in social situations. My mom (I only say mom and not parents cause my dad barely gave a crap about their problems, and now they're divorced, whelp!) had to fight tooth and nail for my brothers to have something approaching dignity even for their mild disorders.

Wanting to abort a child that you know is going to be physically or mentally disabiled is a perfeclty legitimate reason, and people who absently say "handicapped people might be a challenge to raise, but they can be successful! Hope this helps!" really need to educate themselves on the reality.

Maybe I'm ranting about something that no one in the thread has really been saying, but whatever it's still a topical rant.

CptKemzik on
    edited June 2010
    Of the three disorders that the op listed as possibilities for his fetus, only Turners will turn out a largely normal child with limited impairment. The rest are pretty huge downers.

Trillian on

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Of the three disorders that the op listed as possibilities for his fetus, only Turners will turn out a largely normal child with limited impairment. The rest are pretty huge downers.
    I hope this isn't a pun.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited June 2010
    I hope this isn't a pun.

totally unintended, but I left it that way on purpose.

Trillian on

edited June 2010
    thank you for your story foolproof.

also trill that is the worst :)

we're leaving in a bit, man this is gonna suck. just glad i'm able to support my lovely girl.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg