As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
:winky:

imsolucky.jpg

tome.jpg

Every one repost their things from the last thread, I'm too lazy to quote THEM

LAZY

wakkawa on

• KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wakka those are nice. But top girly on the left looks like she got stung by a bee in the palm. Now that Im looking at it.. the other girls hands kinda puffy too. Looks odd with the slim elegance going on everywhere else.

Back to the girl on the left.. if her calf muscle comes out that much on one side I feel a little more of an opposing curve is called for . With the foot in that position its also not possible for the top of the knee like that to be level(actually with the foot in just about any position). The vastus medialus- part of the quad will stick up slighly higher and then you'd propably step down to the kneecap- Its a pretty subtle thing. And if her kneeling bone- front part of the fibula- is that pronounced wed also see an indication of her tibia. Im propably spelling things wrong but too lazy to go look shit up.

Her(girl on the left) bent left leg- the horizontal one- is a slightly different shape type. Just doesnt quite look like they are the same persons legs.

Sorry to geek out on the anatomy but It always kinda bothers me when I look at little closer at some of your stuff and youve got areas like the faces where you just nail it. Then things start to disintegrate in other complex areas of the body. It really jumps out when you get into more complicated poses..

Again- The stuff is eye candy - always strong designs.

Kendeathwalker on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man my drawings do not look this spotty on paper what the fuck

2re1hep.jpg

29ygvb7.jpg

Tam on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know you're a failure when your "finished" painting looks like dogshit compared to a real art student's 10 minute painting sketch.
    flash.jpg

XAL on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    man my drawings do not look this spotty on paper what the fuck

2re1hep.jpg

that's really cool tam

samuntmaxdoodle1.jpg

just finished episode 2 of sam and max, soo good, just felt like drawing them

randomdoodlesteakcopy.jpg

and thennnnn... I have no idea what this is about... today was a very doodle day

GurtPerk on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Acrylic on masonite. Did as a study to get back into painting traditionally
    italian/african/irish american :)

an odd line through the centre because my scanner caused a weird shadow and couldnt be bothered compensating enough room for it.

funny-gangster.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    XAL wrote: »
    You know you're a failure when your "finished" painting looks like dogshit compared to a real art student's 10 minute painting sketch.
    flash.jpg

dog shit? no thats a pretty solid painting.. the values are just a bit grey. You could use another pass with some lighter tones to punch form. dont paint into the shadows..at the least just drop a white highlight in the appropriate place on the nose. Propably hit it with an indian yellow or aliz crimson glaze to kill some of the chalkiness in the shadows. You know how to do a pickout? you can just take paper towels and rub out the highlights- give you another subtle layer of form modeling. Dont be afraid to play with the glaze. Throw different cools or different warms into it.. the color with in color type deal will add a little more sophistication.

This is oil right? otherwise everything I said is moot.

wck- you still arent seeing the entire mass. Its not possible for the light to be coming from the left and his cheek on the right, have the lightest values.

tam- IF you figure out how to fix that spoty thing.. let me know..

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2010
    wck- you still arent seeing the entire mass. Its not possible for the light to be coming from the left and his cheek on the right, have the lightest values.

i think the main issue is that i am still having trouble with the colour mixing process. im finding it difficult to mix the correct colour, then also the right value. His right side, where the darkish red spot is, is supposed to be a brighter pinkish spot, but i cant seem to mix the right value colour. same with the forehead and his cheek bones. if i where asked to mix the same colour again, i couldnt. so even if i do get something right, whatever i mix the next time will look really odd.

i think i 'know' what colours and values 'should' be there, but i just cant get used to the medium. if i were to do this pencil or digital, im sure i could make it read correctly. I think i need to do some actual colour mixing studies.

winter_combat_knight on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WCK, that painting makes me think of this guy.

Dr.png

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay so one of my largest failures as an artist is my lack of sketching just for sketchings sake. Yes I have many other failures and issues but this is one I think I can attack pretty quickly and make right.

Usually I sketch and throw it out or sketch and turn it into a finished piece.

So anyways I bought a little book and am using a ball point pen so I cant erase anything and here are the first couple pages.

2010SB0001.jpg

2010SB0002copy.jpg

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Usually I sketch and throw it out or sketch and turn it into a finished piece.
    Well, you are lucky

I never finish anything.

Anyway, did some quick photoshop experimenting and ended up with this,
    experiment.png
    Yeah, pretty unpolished, but I have intention of continue working on it, so if you can point out any big problem now Id be grateful

Pereza0 on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Making icons for fun:
    UIpractice.jpg

Iruka on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Iruka, I totally want to click those in a repetitive manner while fighting monsters.

F87 on
    edited May 2010
    16gl5jm.jpg

Tam on
    edited May 2010
    I assume that dude rides on that tric and eats the souls of kids, tam.

took a break from the icons:
    famil.jpg

Iruka on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Total blah. Warm up doodle.

blahzq.jpg

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    I assume that dude rides on that tric and eats the souls of kids, tam.

took a break from the icons:
    famil.jpg

her right forearm is looking a tad long.

NakedZergling on
    edited May 2010
    word, i'll try and fix that up.

Iruka on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You should finish a couple more of those icons though. They would make a sweet ass sig.

F87 on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the dog/wolf thing in that Iruka, I want one. It'd be much better than my stupid mutt...he keeps running into walls.
    I made a hipster guide to help myself when I'm at the local coffee shop
    HipsterGuide.png

worstcase on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    F87 wrote: »
    You should finish a couple more of those icons though. They would make a sweet ass sig.

Yeah those icons are really sweet! I'm picturing them as some sort of game....a game that i would like to play please.

NakedZergling on
    edited June 2010
    Iruka - i love your choice of colours in all your illustration work.

A quick doodle paint of Jimmy Fallon i did last night at 1am. about 10x12cm. Nver really worked small before. But i hope i captured some of his likeness.

jimmy-fallon.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2010
    You're getting better - I actually recognized that as being Jimmy Fallon before I read your post.

Still a lot of fine tuning to do though.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    worstcase wrote: »
    I made a hipster guide to help myself when I'm at the local coffee shop
    HipsterGuide.png

It must be said... sometimes I wear flannel shirts, but I'm not a hipster.

I only like flannel shirts because that's what everyone wore when I lived in North Carolina; and the things are great for manual labor. These hipsters and Hollywood types with their brightly-colored plaid clothes are silly, and I'll be wearing flannel shirts long after they all buy into the next fad.

Paradise on
    edited June 2010
    thanks duders.

that hipster thing reminds me that I need a new pair of chucks

famil2.jpg

Iruka on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That dog is bad. Ass.

Fugitive on
    edited June 2010
    thanks duders.

famil2.jpg

girl got some demon hands

cool though

8wcbhs.jpg

Tam on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I miss my 100 pages of fame.

MKR on
    edited June 2010

I... also wear chucks.

Tam, what is that? A seeing stone?

Paradise on
    edited June 2010
    spirit stone called a troll ring
    if the troll spirit bound to it likes you, it's light as a feather to you but as heavy as lead to everyone else
    i.e. you can be twiggy and bludgeon large monsters to death by putting it on the end of a chain, etc.

Tam on
    edited June 2010
    Wow, that's really cool.

Paradise on
    edited June 2010
    thanks

I probably should have put the description in the original post

Tam on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    iruka, I like how the bird is munching on her hair :P nice touch

Tam: That Rocks

Get it!?:winky::winky:

Obilex on
    edited June 2010
    Obilex.

God damn it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited June 2010
    Obilex wrote: »
    iruka, I like how the bird is munching on her hair :P nice touch

Tam: That Rocks

Get it!?:winky::winky:

get out

Tam on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Iruka-

There are some weird spots of dark on the figure in this one that bother me. Mainly the elbow area of her right arm (our left). You have two shadow masses, one for the bicep and one for the inside of the forearm, that for some reason come to a wedge shape following the crease in her arm almost all the way to the elbow. That little shape is standing out as a contradiction to the lighting as a whole. I'd also say that I think you went a little too dark on her other arm, speaking to the shadow mass that runs the length of her forearm, down the center. Just covering both those spots with my thumbs make the rest of the figure read more naturally, and it ought to be an easy fix.

Greatnation on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Paradise! You going hipster on me?
    I own several pairs of skinny jeans. And a flannel shirt....

worstcase on
    edited June 2010
    Iruka-

There are some weird spots of dark on the figure in this one that bother me. Mainly the elbow area of her right arm (our left). You have two shadow masses, one for the bicep and one for the inside of the forearm, that for some reason come to a wedge shape following the crease in her arm almost all the way to the elbow. That little shape is standing out as a contradiction to the lighting as a whole. I'd also say that I think you went a little too dark on her other arm, speaking to the shadow mass that runs the length of her forearm, down the center. Just covering both those spots with my thumbs make the rest of the figure read more naturally, and it ought to be an easy fix.

Word, I see what you're saying, I'll touch it up in the morning when I have a fresh mind. Thanks.

Iruka on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I played through the first episode of Tales of Monkey Island yesterday. I wanted to go on and play more, but I felt I should draw at least one thing today before I did. Inspired by a 'haha she's fat and talking about her sex life oh how awkward' gag in the game, I drew a very quick pin-up of what the Voodoo Lady might have looked like in her prime:

VoodooLady.jpg

Now that that's done, time to go play some more Monkey Island.

Also god those hands suuuuuuuuck, I know.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yay so I was messing around with alchemy after a long time of not using it

alchemystart.jpg

this is what I pulled out of the chaos, liked the silhouette so kept going with it

drillmanconcept03copy.jpg

I'm just looking for some general feedback, I haven't come up with too much of a story/background for him yet. I figured he's a mercenary type character that uses a drill gun and doesn't afraid of anything.

GurtPerk on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gurt i fucking love that design, especially the detail on his drill. just a pinch too uneven, though, when it comes to the shoulders.

mensch-o-matic on
This discussion has been closed.