As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Filling your time before you die.

13»

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I play the ocarina. I've put some videos of it in the Arts forum about a year ago. I'm a fair bit better since then, but have not really kept up with my playing or my recording.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I play a bunch of music, disc golf, read comics, play bunches of video games, and cook a lot. I also do lots of cycling and cross country running which started as a method to lose weight, but has become a hobby in and of itself. Heres some samples of the dishes:
    30638_386008926501_675636501_4480752_3025730_n.jpg
    30638_386043701501_675636501_4481487_5227935_n.jpg
    25766_384875171501_675636501_4460069_4905903_n.jpg
    26447_382071076501_675636501_4385214_6403857_n.jpg
    25554_367767216501_675636501_4183729_6439957_n.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I play the ocarina. I've put some videos of it in the Arts forum about a year ago. I'm a fair bit better since then, but have not really kept up with my playing or my recording.

That is pretty awesome.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I try and get motivation up to write my novel and work on other writing related activities. I'll be going back to school soon for another degree, so that will eat up the rest of my time for awhile.

But really, I need to get more motivation for writing instead of sitting on these forums or sitting on my couch and scratching my head.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My wife and I go out to the range on occasion and shoot.

We also own a telescope (a good 6" dobsonian), and any time there's a clear night that we don't work the next day, we head out and stay out until midnight (at least) looking at the stars/planets.

U of A has a pretty decent observatory in Tucson that I go to on occasion. Unfortunately there's quite a bit of light pollution, so it's not perfect but you can still see some incredible things. I plan on going to Kitt Peak when my life slows down a bit. Nothing beats looking deep into space and pondering life.

3drage on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yea, there's even a good amount of light pollution here in the boonies of Vermont (nearby school and such). We've got to find a nice wide empty field somewhere. :\

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy wow. The Warrior Dash site actually makes me want to get off my couch. It looks awesome.

I started collecting fountain pens and wax seals. I love fountain pens. Even the cheap ones make me feel powerful.

I also started modding Nerf guns recently. I gussied this up for the G&T secret santa last year:
    Be gentle! It was my first time!

img2789.jpg

img2790cg.jpg

I'm also really into comics. I just recently reorganized everything and itemized them in a rockin' excel spreadsheet. It's awesome.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    VIDEO games! But then that's hardly shocking. Also something that has been slowing down for me as I realized trying to keep up with all the new releases has become virtually impossible.

I do a lot of reading although I'm in sore need of new material.

Also I recently picked skating back up. More to get into shape than for enjoyment but once I got past the "I want to die, kill me now" stage it's become as much because it's fun as because it's good exercise.

Lately I've been going to see a lot of local bands which has been a lot of fun but god damn it can get expensive. Well, not the shows themselves but the pitchers of Blue Moon and the cabs home add up after awhile. :P

I also picked up a harmonica recently and am trying to learn how to competently play it. Progress has been slow D:

Actually come to think of it until recently all my spare time was largely trying to keep up with the glut of new releases in the gaming world and that was filling up virtually all my spare time. Once I decided that was geting to be stupidly expensive and a giant waste of money I started doing other things/new things and it's been far more satisfying really.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What, no Magic the Gathering? I'm pretty active in the PTQ/Grand Prix/1k/5k type MTG events in the Midwest, and of course I also go to FNMs etc. That involves some time on the Internet (starcitygames, blackborder, magic-league, etc) but I prefer paper Magic to MODO or Magic Workstation. Most of the fun is interacting with your opponent. Of course, it's also a huge money suck for traveling, event fees, and deckbuilding but once you get kind of into the community you can borrow cards from friends who are playing different archetypes, so it gets more fun and also more reasonable, financially.

I also tutor at a nearby writing center, mostly kids in 3rd-6th grade but occasionally outside that range depending who drops in, and hang out with my dog.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I collect instruments nobody has ever heard of, for instance:

guitaret.jpg

The Guitaret
    , by Hohner

Yes, I can play it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For the last few years, I have been working on my socializing skills that I sorely neglected earlier in life. This leads to me not necessarily doing anything specifically, but I feel much better and improved in this aspect of my life.

Hmm, specifically, I like cooking, and bake awesome cookies. I also go to sci fi conventions, dress as a pirate, and help to get people drunk.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I used to do JKD and later BJJ / MMA but since I moved my coaches gym just feels too far (that and I am not motivated anymore, he has 13 fighters now and I am 30 so would just be a crash test dummy for them).

Now since setting up my own company I play Video Games and procrastinate in my "free" time, in which I always feel I should be working.

Oh, I still hike though, me and the gf tend to go hiking / camping at least twice a month in the spring / summer, usually the Peak District as it's right nearby.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm trying to design a board game; or, a board-esque game. I want it to be, like, the bestest board game ever made & that ever will be made in all of human history, though, as well as a one-man project... and that kind of keeps it in a state of dubious progress.

Also, I can't really decide if I want it to be, like, designed to be played via online forums with all ASCII mechanics or something people print out & play.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Beyond nerdy things like D&D, watching TNG, attending cons and playing video games I occupy my time with skiing, downtown adventures, and costuming.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I write stories, or at least I try to. But I'm not very good at it so I never succeed at getting beyond the basic world building usually. Really, that's pretty much my only hobby aside from video games. Not really exciting but it's enjoyable for me.

Oh, I've also turned procrastination into a professional sport. Does that count?

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Huh. I just realized that I don't really have a hobby, just ...stuff that I do without a standout level of dedication. Am I a freak?

Or are you

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I write stories, or at least I try to. But I'm not very good at it so I never succeed at getting beyond the basic world building usually. Really, that's pretty much my only hobby aside from video games. Not really exciting but it's enjoyable for me.

Oh, I've also turned procrastination into a professional sport. Does that count?

Yes

I procrastinate best when pacing my living room floor, back and forth talking to myself outloud.
    I am aware I may be insane

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    Huh. I just realized that I don't really have a hobby, just ...stuff that I do without a standout level of dedication. Am I a freak?

Or are you

Being neither is more in the spirit of...well...you. :P

Being a freak takes dedication. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.