As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Worst bug in a game?

BorysBorys Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
So I was reading the "Ever broken a Game at it's own Game?" thread and thought about glitches/ bugs that don't exactly HELP you but the opposite. They make the game totally unplayable more than often unbeatable and if you don't have a save before the bug or you found out the bug after you have overwritten your only save, well, then you're fucked.

Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard

An old DOS RPG (pretty awesome BTW). It had one of the shittiest bugs I have ever encountered and I lost 6 hours of playtime to it. Basically the game is your typical dungeon crawler with locked doors, traps etc. Some of the locked doors can be opened by special keys (like in the Eye of the Beholder series) while others can be oppend by so-called COMMON KEYS.

Common Keys can be bought in shops and found in the dungeon.

THE BUG:

sometimes while going to an upper/ lower level via stairs/ teleport/ pit hole you would lose ALL the Common Keys in your inventory except one.

It was not a big deal if you found yourself in a level with shop but I encountered it after falling down a pithole to a level without a shop. And the only way forward was closed behind 2 Common Doors.

FUCK!

Borys on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    19990106h.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did something use to happen when uninstalling Myth 2, for real?

Henroid on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Did something use to happen when uninstalling Myth 2, for real?

I don't think anyone survived the uninstall process long enough to tell.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Haha yeah that reminds me of that Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor uninstall bug that took out your Windows partition along with the game.

Nasty.

Borys on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Borys wrote: »
    Haha yeah that reminds me of that Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor uninstall bug that took out your Windows partition along with the game.

Nasty.

What in the fuck? O_o

Henroid on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Nasty.

What in the fuck? O_o

Obviously whoever coded that in was a Linux user

Rent on
    edited June 2010
    The Myth 2 uninstall bug from Wikipedia:
    Myth II installer bug

The original version of the Myth II: Soulblighter contained a serious bug. The bug was that the CD contained an uninstaller which would remove Myth from a computer by deleting the directory in which it had been installed. If the user had overridden the default and installed Myth to the root level of his hard drive, the uninstaller would delete the entire contents of the user's hard drive.

This bug was caught after Myth II CDs had been sent out and also duplicated and boxed to ship to stores. Bungie employees went to the factory, tore open the boxes, and replaced the faulty CDs with new CDs on which the uninstaller bug had been fixed. Luckily, only the marketing person who discovered the bug had his hard drive wiped. Martin O' Donnell confirmed all this data in an episode of the Bungie Podcast.

Borys on
    edited June 2010

Nasty.

What in the fuck? O_o

It deleted some system files from Windows dir that prevented your PC from booting again.

Borys on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Way to dodge a bullet there.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited June 2010
    That explains...so much

Bungie was behind the coding for the HALO rings

Rent on
    edited June 2010
    The Myth 2 uninstall bug from Wikipedia:
    Myth II installer bug

The original version of the Myth II: Soulblighter contained a serious bug. The bug was that the CD contained an uninstaller which would remove Myth from a computer by deleting the directory in which it had been installed. If the user had overridden the default and installed Myth to the root level of his hard drive, the uninstaller would delete the entire contents of the user's hard drive.

This bug was caught after Myth II CDs had been sent out and also duplicated and boxed to ship to stores. Bungie employees went to the factory, tore open the boxes, and replaced the faulty CDs with new CDs on which the uninstaller bug had been fixed. Luckily, only the marketing person who discovered the bug had his hard drive wiped. Martin O' Donnell confirmed all this data in an episode of the Bungie Podcast.

Goddamn, can you imagine the look on their faces as they rushed to fix that shit? That's incredible.

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    God I almost wish that bug stayed just to see who'd get hit with it

Bill Gates? A famous celebrity? The president?

Rent on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd say any bug that breaks the game and makes it unwinnable, so prob most of them. Like Warrior Within.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited June 2010
    the glitch poke besides Missingno are pretty interesting

I mean

You have to look for them but still, some of them are pretty hilarious how they break your Pokemon R/B save

Rent on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One bug I remember being particularly disruptive is the Soul Calibur III memory card corruption bug. Apparently, having an SCIII save on your PS2 memory card, and then trying to move or copy files from that memory card it could potentially corrupt the whole card.

In terms of consoles, I think that's about as bad as bug get.

(By the way, what's the difference between a bug and a glitch?)

Edit: Thanks for the answer.

Rex Dart on
    edited June 2010
    There was a glitch for a game demo that was like that Rex

I forget which game demo it was. I know it was a Sony first party game because they offered a free game out of embarrassment for that

Rent on
    edited June 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    One glitch I remember being particularly disruptive is the Soul Calibur III memory card corruption glitch. Apparently, having an SCIII save on your PS2 memory card, and then trying to move or copy files from that memory card it could potentially corrupt the whole card.

In terms of consoles, I think that's about as bad as glitches get.

(By the way, what's the difference between a bug and a glitch?)

A bug is like, bad programming causing unintended effects

A glitch is utilizing the game engine/environment/skills to do things you're not normally able to do/"supposed" to be able to do

Basically glitching is like, wavedashing/seam walking. Bugs are like a save corruption error or the bike bug in the Gen IV pokemon games

Rent on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TFTD research bug.

Go through the exercise in masochism that is TFTD but wait no you researched The Deep One before Ion Beam Accelerators? Guess you're stuck in a never-ending cycle of 2-stage terror sites with Lobstermen and flying chryssalids killing everything that has ever existed while you weep in a corner.

Khavall on
    edited June 2010
    So do Oblivion crashes count toward this thread? <_<

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    TFTD research bug.

Go through the exercise in masochism that is TFTD but wait no you researched The Deep One before Ion Beam Accelerators? Guess you're stuck in a never-ending cycle of 2-stage terror sites with Lobstermen and flying chryssalids killing everything that has ever existed while you weep in a corner.

D:

Borys on
    edited June 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    TFTD research bug.

D:

That's even worse then the Nova Prospekt teleporter bug in HL2 where you get trapped en route to Kleiner's lab in the tube with Alyx forever.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I still haven't beat DoW2 Chaos Rising, I am at the final fight and I have attempted four times but I get a black screen that freezes the game...after I kill him.

Fizban140 on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    EVE Online introduced a bug a year or two ago that would randomly wipe out people's Windows files. I forget the exact details though.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Command And Conquer Generals: All 3 sides had a super weapon that you could build several of, and all of them had timers associated. The US had the Ion Cannon, the GLA had the Scud Storm, and the Chinese had Nukes.

It was possible for a GLA player to start building a Scud Storm super weapon, stop building it before it was finished, select it and another unit with an attack ability, then order the "group" to attack the ground in an area to fire off the Scud Storm at the area with no cooldown associated.

Nobody on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The PC version of Beyond Good & Evil had a nice little bug (the Triangle Key Bug) that prevented you from advancing as a key that was supposed to spawn didn't leaving you stuck forever. There was eventually a community made patch to fix the issue but if it weren't for that and the internet the game would have been completely busted for a lot of people.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/401101532/m/6841096652

It sucked when it happened to me but I managed to track down a thread like that and download a patch / someone's save game file to get past it.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited June 2010
    Shit I forgot to write about the way to overcome this Hexx bug!

When I discovered this bug and restarted the game I was paranoid about my Common Keys count. I would always compare it before and after changing a level. Sometimes the bug triggered othertimes not but it happened quite often and constant reloading was getting tiresome.

So... in order to never ever trigger it I had to "take" the Common Keys from my inventory and change levels while having them glued to my mouse cursor (you moved using cursor keys like in all old DOS RPGs).

Voilla!

After changing level I just put them down back in inventory.

Borys on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    There was a glitch for a game demo that was like that Rex

I forget which game demo it was. I know it was a Sony first party game because they offered a free game out of embarrassment for that

Viewtiful Joe 2 demo deleted all the saves.

Couscous on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The SNES Final Fantasy 3/VI Relm Sketch bug got me a couple times before I realized what was going on. Had to restart the game each time since it ruined my saves.

RainbowDespair on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So do Oblivion crashes count toward this thread? <_<

Better than a crash bug: I once started a game of Oblivion and had the Emperor fall through the floor during the opening sequence.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The stealth bug in KotOR lost me a few hours. Wasn't huge like wiping my harddrive or something, but still damned annoying.

see317 on
    edited June 2010
    Please explain the bugs like the KOTOR Stealth bug or FF6 Realm Sketch one.

Borys on
    edited June 2010

The Relm Sketch one was, iirc, that if you used Relm's "Sketch" command it had a chance of completely wiping your save

Rent on
    edited June 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    The stealth bug in KotOR lost me a few hours. Wasn't huge like wiping my harddrive or something, but still damned annoying.

Oh dude, the first time I saw the game I saw that bug. I was at a LAN arcade (er, forgot what those are called, brain fart) with a friend, who was friends with the owner, and the owner had some people over to fuck around on an Xbox at the front of the shop. Left a bad impression on me.

Henroid on
    edited June 2010

The Relm Sketch one was, iirc, that if you used Relm's "Sketch" command it had a chance of completely wiping your save

That is so... random.

Borys on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Twilight Princess Cannon room save bug would probably qualify. If you saved in that room and quit, when you restarted the game you would be unable to continue.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Elder Scrolls, Arena. When first released one could not complete the game and there was also reports of save files being messed up meaning days of playing could be lost.

I think it was the second to last story mission which could not be completed but that may be my memories playing tricks with me. After all this was some time ago :-)

Making the bugs worse was as this was in 1994 it was before many people had internet access meaning getting to a patch was not that easy!

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
    edited June 2010

That is so... random.

Original FF6, SNES version, has some of the most ludicrous bugs ever.

Lighting the Xenogears of Bore signal so he can swoop in and detail them all to you

Rent on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuel for the PC. It's got a pretty glitchy save system where it repeatedly fails to save and you just sort of have to spam the save button to get it to work. However that's not the really bad glitch.

Along the road there are various trucks that you go up and basically touch with your vehicle. When you do that depending on the truck it will show where all the races, vista points, or paint schemes for cars are located in whatever section of the map you are in. However, if you crash while doing this the game will freeze and delete your saves. You have to start over from the beginning. This is not a game you want to start over from the beginning with.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    That's even worse then the Nova Prospekt teleporter bug in HL2 where you get trapped en route to Kleiner's lab in the tube with Alyx forever.

I had a problem on the other end of that teleporter the other day. Alyx and Kleiner would have their talk, then Barney comes on the vidphone, but Alyx doesn't reply, no a different Alyx, stuck in a wall somewhere or something replies with a muffled voice and the real Alyx just keeps standing there, holding up the scene from continuing.

I also once ended up with two Alyxes after a level transition, they gave each other some weird looks.

Those bugs are not so bad though, just reloading the first to last autosave got me through there.

peterdevore on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

:winky:

Arch on