As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where you live sucks, too.

a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Lately I've been getting frustrated at the amount of regional sniping that's been going on in D&D that's based on stereotypes or political events. To help people remember that every place sucks for some reason or another, I'm asking everyone to comment on (at least) one thing that sucks about the city or state/province that they live in.

I'll begin: In Georgia, there are no alcohol sales on Sunday...except in bars and restaurants. This means that the state believes that it is better for me to drink at a bar and then drive home than to be able to buy a 6-pack at the store and drink at home. Polling shows an overwhelming majority in favor of allowing Sunday sales, but a strange coalition of Evangelicals, bar owners, and (wait for it...) liquor store owners (who don't feel like paying their employees 7 days/week) have managed to convince the Legislature and Governor that the apocalypse will come to Georgia if stores are allowed to sell alcohol on Sunday.

Now it's your turn - what sucks about where you live?

a5ehren on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Colorado - Evangelicals like woah

EDIT: Oh, and Colorado Springs is a military town, so we get more than our share of military fuckheads.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in portland.

It rains a lot here I guess.

Other than that (and the crappy job market) I'm pretty happy with it.

Liquor stores also aren't open on sunday here, but if you really need to go to a liquor store on sunday you are either a drunk or a college student or both, and either way I'm not too fussed that you can't buy a bottle of HRD.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Where I live does not suck.

Protein Shakes on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I live in California and we're pretty close to needing a bailout from the Federal Government as I understand it. I'm sure others could come up with many more reasons why California is not such a good place to live right now (y'know, aside from the always high living costs of houses).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fair enough.

I live in London, Ontario and our transit system sucks. Sundays have the bus times cut down to 30 minutes between buses at the earliest with an hour wait at the longest and bus times always end by midnight (earlier on sundays) making late night anything a pain in the ass.

Add on that the bus drivers are jerks who will gladly ignore you if you're waiting at a stop and are either early or very late and it just plain sucks.

Next.

Sipex on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Colorado Springs, Pueblo, the South East corner(man that place is a shit hole). Oh and Coors. Screw Coors. And where I live in in Colorado can be called Littlefun instead of Littleton.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, and Colorado has terrible urban sprawl. When the Interstate is the primary way of getting from one part of town to another, you might have issues.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in a tourist beach town in California, just south of San Francisco.

Jobs are impossible to find and the cheapest possible rent for a tiny hole in the wall in a house you share with 4-6 people is like $450 a month. From May till October, the tourists show up and all the roads are perpetually clogged with traffic.

Gets hot as fuck, too.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Lately I've been getting frustrated at the amount of regional sniping that's been going on in D&D that's based on stereotypes or political events. To help people remember that every place sucks for some reason or another, I'm asking everyone to comment on (at least) one thing that sucks about the city or state/province that they live in.

I'll begin: In Georgia, there are no alcohol sales on Sunday...except in bars and restaurants. This means that the state believes that it is better for me to drink at a bar and then drive home than to be able to buy a 6-pack at the store and drink at home. Polling shows an overwhelming majority in favor of allowing Sunday sales, but a strange coalition of Evangelicals, bar owners, and (wait for it...) liquor store owners (who don't feel like paying their employees 7 days/week) have managed to convince the Legislature and Governor that the apocalypse will come to Georgia if stores are allowed to sell alcohol on Sunday.

Now it's your turn - what sucks about where you live?

I'll do your "can't sell alcohol on Sundays" and raise you "I live in a dry county". This means you can ONLY buy alcohol in bars (of which there seem to be plenty) or just over the county line every day of the week.

Also, I live in East Texas. Tyler, to be specific. I don't think I need to say anything further but Henroid will probably stop by to do so.

EDIT: Actually, I will say this. Tyler is a leading retirement area and, at the same time, has a growing college community. And traffic sucks.

Tomanta on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I live in London, Ontario and our transit system sucks. Sundays have the bus times cut down to 30 minutes between buses at the earliest with an hour wait at the longest and bus times always end by midnight (earlier on sundays) making late night anything a pain in the ass.

Add on that the bus drivers are jerks who will gladly ignore you if you're waiting at a stop and are either early or very late and it just plain sucks.

Next.

The transit system in Atlanta has been doing the same things. In addition to reducing schedules, they named the train line that goes to the Asian section of the city the "Yellow Line" (previously it was just the Doraville branch of the North Line, or Northeast Line sometimes). It's now called the "Gold Line" :lol:

a5ehren on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live on the moon. There's no air but I can eat whatever I want.
    I live in Garden Grove, S. CA. It's quaint I guess and maintains somewhat of a small-town feel despite being in Orange County. Disneyland's pretty near by but all the hookers in town are ugly. So I guess that sucks.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live outside Columbus, Ohio.

Don't get me wrong. Columbus itself is a great place; lived there for 4 years.

But ~30 minutes outside the city is like a complete reversal in affluence. Unfortunately, I need to live out here so that I'm not an hour each way from work (which is even further from Cbus).

I guess the only good part is that I can get to Columbus in ~30 minutes.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In Pennsylvania all liquor is controlled and sold by the state from special stores with huge markups.

Also, beer is only sold in bulk and at a very limited number of locations, which is so, so stupid it's mindboggling.

MrMister on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, forgot the shittiest part of Santa Cruz in my post:

Single women are endangered and nearing extinction. Can't remember the last time I met a girl who wasn't in a relationship.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited June 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

But ~30 minutes outside the city is like a complete reversal in affluence. Unfortunately, I need to live out here so that I'm not an hour each way from work (which is even further from Cbus).

My best friend from college works for Honda in Marysville, and he's in the same situation as you.

a5ehren on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Iowa. Traveling is no fun because all your states are dirtier, poorer, dumber, more crowded, and more crime ridden then ours is. We can enunciate, something which seems to be lost on the rest of you.

We're not a state of racist people, it's just that for some reason nobody really wants to move to a state that's 97% white and calls INS at the first sign of illegals.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    In Pennsylvania all liquor is controlled and sold by the state from special stores with huge markups.

Also, beer is only sold in bulk and at a very limited number of locations, which is so, so stupid it's mindboggling.

Your state's reluctance to sell Yuengling in large quantities to us baffles me and my current state of residence.
    a5ehren wrote: »
    VeritasVR wrote: »

My best friend from college works for Honda in Marysville, and he's in the same situation as you.

I might know this person...

Edit: actually, sane people working IN Marysville for Honda live in Dublin, which is Columbus (and thus awesome). I work one of the smaller facilities 30 minutes out of Marysville.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Baltimore had ten murders this weekend.

There's basically a 100% chance that you will be murdered if you live there.

edit: We also just ditched the mayor for corruption, and the city is broke and canceling services as quick as possible. It would be tougher to come up with good things.

PolloDiablo on
    edited June 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Oh, forgot the shittiest part of Santa Cruz in my post:

Single women are endangered and nearing extinction. Can't remember the last time I met a girl who wasn't in a relationship.

Maybe they are just lying to you. ;)

Protein Shakes on
  • KrubicksCubeKrubicksCube Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Boulder, Colorado: Hippies and bongo circles

Falmouth, UK: English food. 'Nuff said.

There's always good and bad about any place you live in the world I think.

KrubicksCube on
    What I'm Currently Nerding To:
    sig.gif
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Philadelphia PA: Recently rated America's ugliest major city. Also one of the most violent and broke, which is too bad because every time the mayor squabbles with city council about money he threatens to lay off police officers, fire fighters, and library staff.

Peen on
    edited June 2010
    Boulder, Colorado: Hippies and bongo circles

Falmouth, UK: English food. 'Nuff said.

There's always good and bad about any place you live in the world I think.

Exactly. That's the point I'm trying to make here :P

a5ehren on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Georgia: it sucks pretty bad. Not uniformly, but in a lot of places. Suburban sprawl is pretty horrible for where pretty much 80 to 90% of the state's residents live, myself included, and our mass transit system is practically nonexistent. I don't mind the blue laws restricting alcohol sales, but that's because I live in a big drinking town.

Coincidentally, I also live in a big football town, which is a goddamn huge problem between August and the end of November. It's my own fault for coming here, I know, but every time there's a home game, towns literally shut down. People make deliberate traffic.

Thankfully, I'm sure that's just something local to where I live.

Also, allergy season is goddamn horrible. Again, specific issue.

With that in mind, while it sucks, it could suck much, much worse.

Synthesis on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Edmonton, AB.

We have issues with urban sprawl, poor public transit, leading all Canadian cities in domestic violence and divorce, high rental prices (despite the economic slowdown), general high costs of living, did I mention urban sprawl, poor city planning (see our Anthony Henday Fuck Up Ring Road), a horrible hockey team and a complete disregard to the high number of homeless in our city core.

But, hey, at least we're not Regina. Or Winnipeg.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gatineau, québec is a pretty good town overall

Positive : Low unemployement, low crime, plenty of trees, low pollution, low cost of living
    NEgative : Kinda boring, congestion on the rise

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh shit, better issue for my area.

The winters suck because it's damned cold (-30 to -40 with windchill) and the summers suck because of the damned humidity (+30 to +40 with humidity).

Damn lakes.

Sipex on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DC- a city that combines Southern efficiency with Northern charm.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Twin Cities, MN

It's cold and we have the world's weirdest assortment of politicians.

YodaTuna on
    edited June 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

I hear really good things about DC.

Protein Shakes on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never been to DC, but I hear you can drive from DC to Baltimore and basically get the impression you never left a major city.

Don't even know why I'm mentioning that.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    London - there are always loads of people everywhere. Right now it is 945PM in my small tourist suburb, it is raining and it is Monday night. If I go out onto the street nearby I shall be able to see at least a hundred people (possibly a lot more) if I look a block either way

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goose Creek SC. 30 minutes outside Charleston. I hate this place more than any place I have ever been. There is almost nothing to do. Charleston's nightlife is terrible and don't let anybody ever try and convince you otherwise. Also, I live in a swamp. Fuck that.

Edit: To give you an example of how much I hate this place I enjoyed living in Phoenix more.

MadnessBA on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DC though awesome is full of politicians and crazies. Man when I was there I heard at least 3 to 4 crazy people ranting on their "soap box." I do love the place though.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Austin.

Pretty much the only bad part is that if you go too far in any direction you end up in Texas. Although they do have good BBQ out there.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Twin Cities, MN

It's cold and we have the world's weirdest assortment of politicians.

You also have more ren-faires and sci-fi/anime/costume conventions per capita then any other place on Earth.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Man, Minnesota is full of geeks.

Morgenstern on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

I hear really good things about DC.
    Naw, I'm joking, I like it here. And I'm a Republican in a city that votes 90% Democrat. People in DC are up on politics more than anywhere else in the country, but we don't take it personally.

DC itself is a "barbell city," though. You can live here if you make a lot of money or if you have a low income (and therefore qualify for things like affordable housing). It's tougher to live here if you're in the middle. The District has slowly but surely been getting richer and more white (and Asian) and less black. Gentrification is pretty much an unstoppable force around here.

If you're young and single, it's a pretty awesome place to live because there are a ton of people in the same boat.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The city so bad the Weakerthans wrote a song about it:

I hate Winnipeg

Beyond that: crime rates are problematic, winters aren't fun, worms eat our beautiful trees, mosquitos eat us, there are terrible potholes everywhere, and traffic lights seem designed to interrupt the flow of vehicles as much as possible.

Grid System on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Western Isles of Scotland. There's pretty much nothing to do here 9 months of the year and it's a bitch to get around but those three months of drinking in the summer are so, so good.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Austin.

Pretty much the only bad part is that if you go too far in any direction you end up in Texas. Although they do have good BBQ out there.

Austin has fucking awful public transportation. We've even got a damn train system now, only instead of it running all around downtown it links the (affluent, car riddled) burbs with some sections of downtown that are too far away form 6th street to be convenient. Governor Perry lives in Austin, and he's a complete douchebag. Driving downtown is basically taking your life into your own hands.

Other than that, though, Austin's pretty great.

LibrarianThorne on