As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Red Dead Redemption] Co-op DLC available now.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arth wrote: »
    Quick question re: Endgame
    Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned you get a mission to play as Jack... or did I get confused? All I've been able to do so far is the random strangers/bounties. Did get a new paper about Europe being at war, and one of the federal agent dudes retiring to a cabin on the shore of a lake... but no missions or anything.
    You get Stranger Missions still. That is the big "?" on your screen. And there is one in Blackwater you might want to check out ;)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ofthefountainofthefountain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    About the I Know You stranger
    Did it bother anyone else that Rockstar introduced the paranormal element into an otherwise normal world?

It seems to me that it was a pretty lazy way of shedding more light to John's past: "I know about your past because I'm god/death/devil! OoooooOOooOOo...."

Meh.

Pale Rider would have a word with you.

Besides, who's to say that it's not
    a manifestation of John's guilt? It doesn't literally have to be God, you know. If you'd rather it just be an allegory for John's past, then go with that. It's intentionally vague.

To me, the entire encounter seems to meant as a way to dig into John's past and foreshadow the future. Yet it was done with a deus ex machina: Mystical being who knew about John's past and his future.

That just seem really inconsistent with how the story telling is done for the rest of the game.
    It fits in with the western epic genre though. Very well actually.

I suppose. It just doesn't sound right when I tell my friends of my latest exploits in the wild west.
    "I tamed wild stallions, hunted herds of buffalo, and fought off a bunch of cattle rustlers. Oh yeah, and I tried to shoot Death after he sent me on a wild goose chase, but my bullets weren't magical enough."

ofthefountain on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i noticed that my honor stopped going up a long time ago. i thought i had maybe just maxed it out, but i didnt get any fancy pendant or anything so whats up with that? anyone?

If your honor level is "Hero" you're maxed. I got my pendant from a Nun from Las Hermanas. She'll chase you down and appear as a blue dot on your map. People bring me money, supplies n stuff too. But they also run up to me asking for donations...

really?

I still get honor, but in ridiculously small increments. But if the Hero moniker and the pendant are the ceiling for it, then good. I was a little worried.

I guess I just need to work on my fame to get the achievement.

Where's a good place to get the American Standardbred?

Sheep on
  • Options
    InfringementInfringement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Must. Resist. Urge to shoot ever last fucking arsehole at the high stakes poker table... they either dont bet, or only bet when i have hands that are utter shite -.-, its even more annoying that theres a fuckign out of place cowboy sittign at the table...

Edit: Right, just got cleaned out by Mr. Outofplaceatarichmanstable. there all dead, every last one of them

Infringement on
    Khoruz+of+Fyre.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »

That song didn't play for me. Though it did for my wife.

Sheep on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone know of any deals to find this on the cheap or at least cheaper? My gaming budget is a little smaller this month than it normally is and not having this is rough :(

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    Anyone know of any deals to find this on the cheap or at least cheaper? My gaming budget is a little smaller this month than it normally is and not having this is rough :(

You might find it for a little cheaper than full price, but this game is pretty popular... I wouldn't expect any price drops for a long time.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In regards to the nun handing out candy...err...pendants. I've had her show up twice for me. The first time she gave me the pendant, so when she showed up a second time I though, "Awesome! 40% less likely to be hit by enemy bullets!". She ended up giving me $45. I cried a little on the inside.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You could sub to gamefly for a month and try to beat it within that time frame. That is if you could get it from them as well.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You could sub to gamefly for a month and try to beat it within that time frame. That is if you could get it from them as well.

I'd probably need it longer than that, multi and all, good suggestion tho. I might just have to wait :(

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know what the multiplayer needs?

Cart racing.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    InfringementInfringement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'd probably need it longer than that, multi and all, good suggestion tho. I might just have to wait :(

Step 1: 100% Real Life
    Step 2: use the FBI outfit you get for doing it
    Step 3: Rob your local Game shop for RDR
    Step 4: ????
    Step 5: Profit :P

Infringement on
    Khoruz+of+Fyre.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Step 1: 100% Real Life
    Step 2: use the FBI outfit you get for doing it
    Step 3: Rob your local Game shop for RDR
    Step 4: ????
    Step 5: Profit :P

:^:

Want to bring the wagon 'round back and drive getaway for me?

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just experienced a most awesome moment in this game. The first of many, I am sure.

I was headed back to town after a murderous rampage at Tumbleweed, and I was propositioned to help a stranded and injured law-man to capture, or kill, 2 escaping criminals.

So I whistled for my horse, and when it came near...... I hopped on and chased down the first, quickly putting a bullet in his head. As I chased down the other I noticed 2 things. One, there was a bright light off in the distance. And second, my assailant was about to try to run across the railway tracks. Quickly lowering my sights from the back of his skull to his feet, I removed his ability to move. Then, in a last minute, glorious idea, I used deadeye to slow down time. I watched as the Iron Horse approached, and as the criminal attempted to rise up and get off the tracks. But it was too late. The train utterly destroys him, degrading his body into a fine, bloody mist - in slow-motion, may I remind you. I then cackled like a maniac, and returned for my money.

It was a good day in being a law-abiding citizen.

Topia on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Must. Resist. Urge to shoot ever last fucking arsehole at the high stakes poker table... they either dont bet, or only bet when i have hands that are utter shite -.-, its even more annoying that theres a fuckign out of place cowboy sittign at the table...

Edit: Right, just got cleaned out by Mr. Outofplaceatarichmanstable. there all dead, every last one of them

Won over 2,000 chips in one try the first time I played at the high stakes table 8-)
    Got lucky... I suck at poker...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Banshee wrote: »
    If you accidentally kill the nun that runs up to give it to you, do you have another chance to get it?

i had her run up to me as i was doign the survivalist challenges and i ran away from her -.-, i run back just in time for here to not be a blue dot anymore... so i hope i do get another chance at gettign it.

oh, and i put my bandana on, lassoed the nun, dragged her into the wilderness and gave her a shotgun facelift just for annoying me.

I had the nun run away from me in Armadillo, and I met her again later on in Mexico. She wasn't dead though. :?

I've had her show up three times. The first time she gave me money. Shortly after, she died in a tragic accident (you can ask any of the witnesses). Later, after I had max honor, she showed up again, but I was riding at full speed and missed my chance to talk to her. The third time, I was on foot so I got the item just fine.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Trains can certainly ruin a man's day. Or a cow's, in my case, when one decided to barrel its way through the herd I was trying to corral. Man.... cows everywhere....

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    Trains can certainly ruin a man's day. Or a cow's, in my case, when one decided to barrel its way through the herd I was trying to corral. Man.... cows everywhere....

That happened to me too. Quick way to stop a stampede though. Even though I lost money by losing the cattle it was funny to watch.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone come across random dudes in the wilderness that have a tiny camp set up and are fuckin around with barrels of TNT? They aren't good with the TNT...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone come across random dudes in the wilderness that have a tiny camp set up and are fuckin around with barrels of TNT? They aren't good with the TNT...

Yeah they do tend to explode a lot.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It seems odd to me that they'd put in a whole minigame to allow for cheating in poker, but neglect to add some very simple information (number of decks and notification of the deck being shuffled) to allow players to count cards in blackjack.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Won over 2,000 chips in one try the first time I played at the high stakes table 8-)

I just bet all of my chips in the first hand. Everyone folded, and with 2500 chips in the pot....

Yeah, achievement get. :P

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I just bet all of my chips in the first hand. Everyone folded, and with 2500 chips in the pot....

Yeah, achievement get. :P

I tried that with pocket Jacks. Didnt go as well for me as someone called with pocket 5s and got a fuckin 5 on the river.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    finally getting a HD monitor for my gaming needs. No more SD TV for me! (getting the Asus VH236H. Cheap, great for consoles, and a staple for fighting games)

I need some input. Should I start over? Y/N

(I'm in Mexico, did about 5 or 6 missions, lvl 7 sharpshooter, lvl 7 survivalist, lvl 6 hunter, lvl 5 treasure, and spent countless hours just riding around)

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

Yeah they do tend to explode a lot.

I love those guys!

....but I got tired of sitting around watching them so I just dropped some dynamite amongst them and watched the fireworks.

I'm impatient.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    finally getting a HD monitor for my gaming needs. No more SD TV for me! (getting the Asus VH236H. Cheap, great for consoles, and a staple for fighting games)

(I'm in Mexico, did about 5 or 6 missions, lvl 7 sharpshooter, lvl 7 survivalist, lvl 6 hunter, lvl 5 treasure, and spent countless hours just riding around)

I wouldnt. Your just getting to the good stuff.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I wouldnt. Your just getting to the good stuff.

besides, making the jump from SD to HD, you know you're going to have to put every other game in and look at it, too. You're just not going to have the time to start over.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Beat the game finally...
    The ending was satisfying, in so far as you get to finally blast Edgar Ross...but at the same time: I wasn't happy to "lose" John Marston, I had become quite attached to the character. Also, they do very little to endear you to Jack. They kind of make him seem like a wimpy cry baby, then all the sudden he shows up a bad ass. Of course, they didn't change his voice (at all it seems), so he still sounds like a wimpy cry baby.

They could have at least deepened his voice, made him sound more like John.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Beat the game finally...
    The ending was satisfying, in so far as you get to finally blast Edgar Ross...but at the same time: I wasn't happy to "lose" John Marston, I had become quite attached to the character. Also, they do very little to endear you to Jack. They kind of make him seem like a wimpy cry baby, then all the sudden he shows up a bad ass. Of course, they didn't change his voice (at all it seems), so he still sounds like a wimpy cry baby.

They could have at least deepened his voice, made him sound more like John.
    I find myself wanting to experience the story again already. This game has essentially killed my mood for playing other games at the moment due to its sheer awesomeness. I have Super Mario Galaxy 2 ready to go but I just don't have the drive to play it right now. I want more Red Dead dammit. Edit: And I dont think I would want to play through as an honorless bastard. I would do the good playthrough again just because it fits more into the overall story arc better... at least in my mind.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have killed so many bloody skunks in this game but they have now disappeared.

Ride around Austion, no.
    Ride around Diez Coronas where I couldnt walk without stepping on one before, none.
    Just outside McFarlane's Ranch? They've all gone.

This is supposed to be an easy master hunter challenge!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Domhnall wrote: »
    I have killed so many bloody skunks in this game but they have now disappeared.

Ride around Austion, no.
    Ride around Diez Coronas where I couldnt walk without stepping on one before, none.
    Just outside McFarlane's Ranch? They've all gone.

This is supposed to be an easy master hunter challenge!

That was one of the most annoying for me. Hated finding skunks and raccoons.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just like in GTA, when you're in a car the road is congested as hell, but the moment you're on foot and need a car, the streets are empty.

In other words, the programmers at Rockstar are dicks. :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Just like in GTA, when you're in a car the road is congested as hell, but the moment you're on foot and need a car, the streets are empty.

In other words, the programmers at Rockstar are dicks. :P

Thankfully, in GTA, you can get a cab/carservice these days.

There is no skunk service.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My take on all things endgame:
    I appreciated the fact that there was no "all your favorite characters come together again" moment at the end. Makes the world seem bigger and more believable, and avoids the Star Wars syndrome of there being 4 planets in the whole galaxy. Showing that one (heartbreaking) moment with Bonnie was more than enough, and even then John was establishing a healthy business relationship in order to jumpstart his ranch, he wasn't running into her arms.

They also did a fantastic job of making Marston's wife an incredibly likeable character very quickly. It would have been easy for them to make her a shrew, and for John to have every excuse to have cheated on her or left her for Bonnie, but they fought that and it makes the ending pay off, because you finally get to briefly see the life of a game character AFTER he's "saved the princess" (for lack of a better term).

As far as Jack goes, it definitely adds an intriguing dynamic to post-game play. Jack is a shadow of his father, all of his fame/honor/achievements literally belong to John and are unearned, and his ultimate existence is relatively hollow. He can finish his father's unfinished stranger missions, but otherwise leads a hollow, meaningless existence, and that is bizarrely resonate with the post-endgame experience in most open world games.

I'm not sure I would really like to see anything added to this game via DLC or a sequel. Rockstar did an extraordinary job of making this game stand on its own, and I think I'd like them to take their open world experimentation into yet another setting, rather than try to beat more money out of a Red Dead franchise.

Ceno on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I appreciated the fact that there was no "all your favorite characters come together again" moment at the end. Makes the world seem bigger and more believable, and avoids the Star Wars syndrome of their being 4 planets in the whole galaxy. Showing that one (heartbreaking) moment with Bonnie was more than enough, and even then John was establishing a healthy business relationship in order to jumpstart his ranch, he wasn't running into her arms.

They also did a fantastic job of making Marston's wife an incredibly likeable character very quickly. It would have been easy for them to make her a shrew, and for John to have every excuse to have cheated on her or left her for Bonnie, but they fought that and it makes the ending pay off, because you finally get to briefly see the life of a game character AFTER he's "saved the princess" (for lack of a better term).

As far as Jack goes, it definitely adds an intriguing dynamic to post-game play. Jack is a shadow of his father, all of his fame/honor/achievements literally belong to John and are unearned, and his ultimate existence is relatively hollow. He can finish his father's unfinished stranger missions, but otherwise leads a hollow, meaningless existence, and that is bizarrely resonate with the post-endgame experience in most open world games.

I'm not sure I would really like to see anything added to this game via DLC or a sequel. Rockstar did an extraordinary job of making this game stand on its own, and I think I'd like them to take their open world experimentation into yet another setting, rather than try to beat more money out of a Red Dead franchise.
    I kind of disagree with you on the Jack thing. I got the impression that it was implied that Jack went on to become a famous gunslinger of his own, before going after Edgar Ross. Which is why he "inherits" his fathers fame, but he also "inherits" his fathers marksmanship, which I think is the big point that says "During the time you don't see, Jack is off making his own legend before going after Ross".

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I appreciated the fact that there was no "all your favorite characters come together again" moment at the end. Makes the world seem bigger and more believable, and avoids the Star Wars syndrome of their being 4 planets in the whole galaxy. Showing that one (heartbreaking) moment with Bonnie was more than enough, and even then John was establishing a healthy business relationship in order to jumpstart his ranch, he wasn't running into her arms.

I think they would go the way of GTAIV DLC IMHO. Good or bad I think they closed the book on Marston good enough and might try to flesh out Jack some but we shall see. It would help with your view on Jack being a hallow character, which I agree to. He simply fulfills his role of son finishing up for his father. Which in itself is a sad affair as it is not what his mom or his pa would have wanted. And tried to keep him away from the best they could.

I still am sitting here thinking about the game. I think I may forgo playing other games for another playthrough. I missed the whole "I know you" mission and I want to experience it in HD.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I kind of disagree with you on the Jack thing. I got the impression that it was implied that Jack went on to become a famous gunslinger of his own, before going after Edgar Ross. Which is why he "inherits" his fathers fame, but he also "inherits" his fathers marksmanship, which I think is the big point that says "During the time you don't see, Jack is off making his own legend before going after Ross".
    One of the first things my Jack did was spiral into criminality and besmirch his dad's name. While his dad at least had some sense of honour, my Jack cared a lot less for the value of life. Which is a nice way of saying that I used him to get Dastardly and Friends in High Places.

It made it much easier for me to break that disbelief. If I'd had to tie a woman to a track as John it wouldn't have felt right (which was why I didn't do it in until the endgame. Jack doesn't have the morals imposed on him throughout the game and so it's easier to play him exactly as you want.

It's the compaint people had about Niko - while the story has him as a criminal trying to reform, you can play him as a terrorising asshole who blows up every car he can see. Jack neatly sidesteps that and preserves John as the character the story wants him to be.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The nun walked up to me while I was riding full speed with a bounty on my horse, not my fault she was in the way! Honest!

Though I did go "LOLOMG THAT WAS A NUN!"

Then I went.. "oshit, I have max honor, she was prolly trying to give me a shiny bauble of statness... OH NO!"

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here is a dueling tip:

Don't duel me.

Unless you want to die.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aim at gun, if you dont immediately disarm the guy fill him with the other 14 bullets in your clip.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
This discussion has been closed.