As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBL Issues

Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
I hope someone can assist...

I have my 360 connected via Ethernet cable to my Router (BR Business Hub, I work from home). It has had issues connecting for some time. First time I had issues (it would not connect) it was grabbing the ip address starting with 169.

A friend told me to manually input the IP address that my laptop showed in the network settings and I did and it worked (it was 192.168.1.50 iirc). All was fine for a while but I had to reboot the router and it went back to the not connecting hell.

I tried to do the same thing but when I did my laptop gave me an error message in OSX and suddenly neither could get online, I had to manually give my laptop it's old IP back to get online, the 360 still won't connect.

The worst part is, after awhile of constant fucking about and connection tests it actually works (auto assign IP must get a good one after a while) so it's not like I can explain it to any tech support as they only deal in absolutes not inconsistent issues ("so it does work?").

Can anyone explain how the fuck I fix it for good?

I would be beholden to you :^:

Venkman90 on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    :cry:

No one...really?

I figured it was simple and I was just stupid....

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I guess no ones responding 'cause most people (I'm guessing) use the routers auto assign function. I've had no probs with the 5+ ones I've used with my 360. Maybe strange settings on your router??

Ryna on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It sucks when Auto-Assign doesn't work. We gotta know a few more things to help you out here.

Does this router ever give you problems connecting on your laptop?

Does your ISP provide a static or dynamic IP address? If it's dynamic, inputting a manual IP address into your router will only ever serve as a temporary fix.

What error message does your Xbox give you when testing the network?

Does your Xbox connect without any issues if you bypass the router? The reason I ask is because you received a 169 IP address, which is an auto-configuration IP address. It could indicate that the NIC in your 360 is failing.

Let's start with that and move on from there :mrgreen:

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's a BT Business router (I work from home) which may suck, I guess.
    Does this router ever give you problems connecting on your laptop?

At times, I have to re-fresh the page to get it to load, it's on wi-fi. My connection is FAST when it works though (about 20meg the guy at BT said when he did a line test, I am near the exchange though).
    Does your ISP provide a static or dynamic IP address? If it's dynamic, inputting a manual IP address into your router will only ever serve as a temporary fix.

I think it's dynamic, I have managed to get it working inputting the manual IP but I know if I reboot the router it will reset. That works 90% of the time but sometimes I have to do a network test to get it to connect.
    What error message does your Xbox give you when testing the network?

Depends, usually just the standard one I think but it's not consistent.
    Does your Xbox connect without any issues if you bypass the router? The reason I ask is because you received a 169 IP address, which is an auto-configuration IP address. It could indicate that the NIC in your 360 is failing.

I don't know, how do you bypass the router? when I try to auto connect I often get the 169 ip but it's a 3 month old Elite so the idea of hardware failing already is made of lose (although I do have a warranty...)

Venkman90 on