As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

12 shot dead in Cumbria, 25 injured

EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hackRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Social Entropy++
So in my home county, starting four hours ago, a 52-year-old taxi driver took up arms and began shooting people, culminating in him returning home to shoot his mother and shoot himself

News is still coming in but I am freaked out that I might potentially have friends and family involved

This shit just plain doesn't happen here

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
Edcrab on

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hope everything goes well Ed.

Sorry to hear about it.

Edit: That dude is fucked up in the head.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh god he's been going around shooting people in the face point-blank.

What the fuck

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shit's fucked

Beasteh on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goddamn

World is a crazy place sometimes

Gumpy on
    edited June 2010
    "I'm fine, why do you ask"

"Because a man was shot dead like nine miles from your position it's been all over the fucking news"

"Oh, right."

Man I'm less stressed out now but some of my friends really are the dumbest fucks imaginable

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    similar incident happened in my hometown about 10 years ago. definitely shocking, especially for a small midwest town where almost everyone got along and crime hardly existed.

i hope your friends and fam were out of harms way.

spazmojack on
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    "Because a man was shot dead like nine miles from your position it's been all over the fucking news"

Some people just plain don't read the news.

My friend didn't know about the Oil spill until I told him yesterday.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When I was in high school in my Michigan town of 7500 (which was the biggest town in my county), a dude axe-murdered another guy just outside of town. As far as anyone know, they didn't know each other and the guy just broke in to axe a dude. Pretty freaky stuff.

Glad to hear your circle's okay, Ed.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

"Oh, right."

Man I'm less stressed out now but some of my friends really are the dumbest fucks imaginable

People get shot every day.

I'm not sure if that reaction is strange.

Hell the other day I saw the news that 2 cops got shot and a father pushed his wife and 2 year old son into the Mississippi river

this all happened within 15 miles of me on a regular old tuesday.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Everyone seems to think this guy was a totally rad guy and they have literally no idea why he would blow peoples faces clean off.

That's the dumbest question ever. "All of these innocent people dead, your friend the shooter dead; what goes through your mind?"

Well, gee, Bill, at the moment all I can think is fuck you and everybody that lives at your house.

sarukun on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really wish these fucks would start with the suicide.

I mean, sorry your life is unsatisfying dude, but how about you leave innocent strangers out of it?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He's in the UK, you're in the US. Large difference in gun ownership rights.

Get ready for another round of gun control debate, England. I don't know if children were involved, but that usually invokes the strongest reaction like the legislation to come out of the Dunblane attack in the late 90's.

John Matrix on
    edited June 2010
    Not in Cumbria they don't Bergy

And anyone who has the day off and has failed to answer his phone (or check the news) amidst a calvacade of news flashes and a little thing called the internet

Well yeah, I reserve the right to call him a dumb fuck

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    When I was in high school in my Michigan town of 7500 (which was the biggest town in my county), a dude axe-murdered another guy just outside of town. As far as anyone know, they didn't know each other and the guy just broke in to axe a dude. Pretty freaky stuff.

I think this has come up before, but what town are you from, again?

...I'm very fortunate in that the closest I've ever come is being down the road from a shooting under the El by the LaSalle Metra station in Chicago, but I didn't know that was the sound I'd heard until the next day.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I guess it's bad form to ask if he entered the code to get the five stars wanted levels off? Only a leetle

but yeah, hope your friends and fam are ok!

People be crazy, yo. Reminds me of when the dc sniper was running around, that was a summer, I tell you what

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Houk wrote: »

I think this has come up before, but what town are you from, again?

...I'm very fortunate in that the closest I've ever come is being down the road from a shooting under the El by the LaSalle Metra station in Chicago, but I didn't know that was the sound I'd heard until the next day.
    Little town in the southwest area called Hastings. Nobody who's not from that area has ever heard of it, because it's nowhere near Detroit.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You're right, even I haven't heard of it, and I lived in Kalamazoo for five years.

Sorry Hastings!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited June 2010
    Now the figures show 25 injured, 5 dead- but that's Sky news so take that with a grain of salt until the BBC follows up

And for the benefit of future Americans who fail to read the OP or even the title this is in the UK, specifically Cumbria

This has never happened here before

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    sarukun wrote: »
    Everyone seems to think this guy was a totally rad guy and they have literally no idea why he would blow peoples faces clean off.

That's the dumbest question ever. "All of these innocent people dead, your friend the shooter dead; what goes through your mind?"

Well, gee, Bill, at the moment all I can think is fuck you and everybody that lives at your house.

yeah Ive seen some really awkward interviews.. what exactly do they expect them to say

Its fantastic! And I love this line of questioning

glad to hear everyones okay anyway Ed, even if some of them are a bit thick

What with being cumbrian and all

HeavyVillain on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Bergy wrote: »

"Oh, right."

People get shot every day.

I'm not sure if that reaction is strange.

Hell the other day I saw the news that 2 cops got shot and a father pushed his wife and 2 year old son into the Mississippi river

this all happened within 15 miles of me on a regular old tuesday.

I couldn't get my car out of the street next to mine a couple of months ago because there were detectives investigating a shooting that occurred there the night before. Someone tried to shoot a cop, missed.

two blocks away a guy killed his two sons and then shot himself last weekend

shootings happen, and nine miles is really far

Monoxide on
    edited June 2010
    shootings happen? not there they dont, you're not paying attention

It's not a goddamn competition either

everyone all rushing in to say "OH WHERE I COME FROM PEOPLE DIE ALL THE FUCKING TIME"

HeavyVillain on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    shootings happen? not there they dont, you're not paying attention

It's not a goddamn competition either

everyone all rushing in to say "OH WHERE I COME FROM PEOPLE DIE ALL THE FUCKING TIME"

it's a pretty normal reaction to not feel rattled when someone who you've never met, a far distance away, that has nothing to do with you, is killed

that's all I'm saying

Monoxide on
  • gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yeah it have some family up that way Ed. A bit further away, but i still called to check.

Crazy crazy shit.

gazamc on
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nothing ever happens near me. Nothing significant in any case.

Happenings are always where I am not.

I'm pretty alright with this.

It's very strange to imagine anything like that ever really happening around me much less being commonplace.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hee-hee
    cumbria

Antimatter on
    edited June 2010
    Monoxide I think you completely failed to read the thread and understand why I took issue with him is all I'm saying
    Not in Cumbria they don't Bergy

And anyone who has the day off and has failed to answer his phone (or check the news) amidst a calvacade of news flashes and a little thing called the internet

Well yeah, I reserve the right to call him a dumb fuck

It's got fuck-all to do with him feeling rattled, it's got everything to do with him act like a prick when I had the sheer audacity to be worried when I couldn't get in touch with him while a gunman rampaged across the county shooting people at random, but yes he since apologised

9 miles is not "pretty far" in terms of the 11 goddamned locations he travelled to

This guy drove around and shot people for hours.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited June 2010
    watching bbc news 24

eye witness is talking about a sniper rifle or.. something

Id assumed it was just a shotgun..

HeavyVillain on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is absolutely fucked. Hope everyone you know is alright.

Henroid on
  • atmaatma Deep RiverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If that exact thing happened in my hometown, I'd be in a certain amount of disbelief and or shock, too.

And some of you are all

tsk tsk what innocence

Welp, we don't all live in guntown, illinois guys

so just take a step back and think about the loss of life, it seriously should mean something to you, even as impartial observers

hope things settle down fast for your guys, Edcrab

atma on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's also probably worth recognizing that the size of a community has a lot of influence on this sort of thing. A population of 7,500 with 2 murders in the last decade would be understandably shocked if a dozen people got shot or killed in an hour. Living in a major metropolitan area, I'm pretty sure someone dies of unnatural causes within a few miles of me on a weekly basis, whether I know it or not.

Hell, there are more people working and walking through the mall/office complex I work at in the course of today than live in my entire hometown, which has a 6 figure population. The population of a large village is situated in each of the 3 towers we have on the site.

Every so often, people die here. We've had jumpers, shootings (no fatalaties on site, but a few very nearby, like across the road), heart attacks (one courier had one that shouldn't have been fatal, but sadly fell and struck his head on a concrete step, which killed him), allergic reactions, and god knows what else from being a major tourist/shopping complex located in the midst of roughly half a dozen hospitals and the rest of the downtown core.

I'm not trying to continue the pissing contest, just saying that context is everything.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited June 2010
    Deathtoll is now at 12, 13 including the gunman's suicide, with 25 injuries.

My god...

But as selfish as it sounds, I'm mighty reassured right now that all my family and friends have reported in, so to speak.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    atma wrote: »
    so just take a step back and think about the loss of life, it seriously should mean something to you, even as impartial observers

Says the guy who dismisses urban NA violence as "guntown, Illinois".

nawm nawm nawm

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is weird as hell to come from Great Britain. This is the kind of thing I'd expect in the United States, home of stressed out workers and extremely liberal gun ownership laws, but not in the UK.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In soviet Russia cab drivers shoot you.

Foolproof on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Harrier wrote: »
    This is weird as hell to come from Great Britain. This is the kind of thing I'd expect in the United States, home of stressed out workers and extremely liberal gun ownership laws, but not in the UK.

Everyone has a gun, so it's a fair fight.

Hunter on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    where did he get the gun

doesn't britain have like very strict gun laws

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    hee-hee
    cumbria

damn my only reason to post, taken away in an instant

Franko on
    edited June 2010
    SA wrote: »
    where did he get the gun

doesn't britain have like very strict gun laws

They're still unsure

But there are 9,000 shotguns in Cumbria alone: they're licensed to farmers/hunters for managing game and predators

Which is a tiny proportion of the total population but we're not completely gun-free as many people assume

Although yeah these kinds of shootings are incredibly rare.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Franko wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    hee-hee
    cumbria

damn my only reason to post, taken away in an instant

and yet you still managed to post something completely useless, well done.

Bad-Beat on
    edited June 2010
    It's coo' it's SE++

Even though... you know. Some D&D types brought up how much more murder-happy their communities are even though this started off as exploring my personal position of shitting myself while worrying if people I knew were victims

Meanwhile we have a pray for my puppy thread where no one would ever dream of saying "pffft dogs die all the time"

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png