As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where you live sucks, too.

• PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Stillwater, MN. This means that I am part of Michelle Bachmann's District O' Crazy. Need I say any more than that? D:

I actually had a good friend that was a neighbor of hers, and even 10 years ago before she got into state politics she was completely insane. I could never understand how anyone that actually met her could endorse her for office or vote for her. I mean, I know it's sampling bias, but everyone I know thinks she's a complete silly goose that just needs to go away.

I just hope that next time she runs against someone without a name that a Night Elf would be proud of. Elwyn Tinklenberg. He did extremely well considering all of his donations came in at the last minute, but if he had been out campaigning against her crazyness from the beginning he might have done this state proud.

Ah well. At least we have Franken for senator. I love this state. :)

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    I live in Carlsbad, California. I'm 5 minutes from the beach, weather is always perfect, hot girls everywhere, plenty of places to go hiking nearby, and getting to downtown SD is easy as fuck on the nearby coaster. Nothing to really complain about at all, aside from no jobs but that's everywhere in Cali. Whenever I hear some 18 year old girl talk about how boring it is here I just laugh. I've lived here all my life, traveled a lot and when I'm abroad and people ask me where I'm from every time they say how jealous they are I get to live here.

I live in La Jolla, directly south of Carlsbad by 10 miles or so.

San Diego is a massive military town and a massive tourism town. I am not in the military but i am applying for jobs with mostly military contractors. Most other jobs here are tourism related if they are close to the beach. That is, if there were any jobs.

During the summer the entire state of Arizona moves here and clogs our beaches. They act like we are servants. But in turn the locals act like anyone they do not directly know are outsiders and suddenly everyone at the beach pretends that they are Hawaiians defending their sacred beaches. I have seen a lot of fights at beaches between tourist kids and kids from down the street.

The vast majority of people here are very very pretty, but also very aware of it. I don't think i know a single person that does not ingest protein supplements in some form. It is much worse in downtown San Diego, where there is what i can only describe as a Hollywood wannabe crowd, complete with bars that you have to pay a 40$ cover and wear a suit to get into. Except that place closes at 2 AM. The whole "dude" "brah" "chill" is centralized here, especially in the college beach areas. Also there is a large amount of people here that pretend to be poor but somehow they own a bmw and their parents live in a mansion in a gated community.

The major plus for me though is that the San Diego area is the only place i have ever lived where i have had zero allergy attacks. Seeing as how living in the Midwest meant that i would be ingesting Sudafed every 6 hours, i prefer this.

Edit: also rent here makes no sense, a typical place in a older appartment building could be 1600$ a month. But in turn if you knew someone that lived on the beach they might rent out a room for you for 450$ a month if you ask nicely. Live in an appartment in an upscale area, 2000$ a month. Live in the shitty part of downtown? Try 2000$ a month. Live in the nicer part of downtown? Try either 1000$ a month or 5000$ a month, but not 2000$.

In la jolla a bmw is probably the equivalent of an economy car in the real world, so maybe that's why they feel poor.

Pellaeon on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Taterskin wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Georgia: it sucks pretty bad. Not uniformly, but in a lot of places. Suburban sprawl is pretty horrible for where pretty much 80 to 90% of the state's residents live, myself included, and our mass transit system is practically nonexistent. I don't mind the blue laws restricting alcohol sales, but that's because I live in a big drinking town.

Coincidentally, I also live in a big football town, which is a goddamn huge problem between August and the end of November. It's my own fault for coming here, I know, but every time there's a home game, towns literally shut down. People make deliberate traffic.

Thankfully, I'm sure that's just something local to where I live.

Also, allergy season is goddamn horrible. Again, specific issue.

With that in mind, while it sucks, it could suck much, much worse.

So you live in Athens?

I live in Atlanta, GA. All the pine trees make living here unbearable in the Spring. Pretty much if you dont have allergies before you moved here, you will after a couple of years. Also, add in car pollution.

Atlanta is way too spread out. Racism, etc. ensures people will live in Chattanooga and commute into Atlanta before living in cheaper 'mixed' neighborhoods. Atlanta is trying to densify, but its a slow process. And public transportation isnt quite up to the task of handling such a spread out population.

Yeah, Athens. To be fair, I'd rather live in Athens then live with my parents (who retired in Buford, for some goddamn reason), or go back to the army (though given the choice between working in Athens and working a normal job in Taichung or Yokohama, no fucking contest).

But yeah, the suburban sprawl in Atlanta is a serious problem (made particularly hilarious in the recent housing bubble burst). Auto pollution is kind of bad (I have a high tolerance, though, smokers don't bother me either except for their goddamn inability not to litter down here), but honestly, allergy season must be among the worst on the East Coast (maybe even the country). When your pollen count every year is "at least two-hundred times normal", it's time to rethink the definition of what counts as "normal".

I wouldn't be surprised if people got allergies from living in Georgia over time.

On the bright side, racism isn't nearly as prevalent as I've heard described in other places. Economic disparity is, mind you, but people are apparently polite about hiding it. Instead, we have crazy religious preachers (a requirement of every Southern college town, I guess) reminding us all to burn in hell and massive recruitment drives for the armed forces.

Synthesis on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Smurph wrote: »
    I grew up in Royal Oak, Michigan. It's an upper-middle class white suburb of Detroit. It was actually pretty nice and safe. I mean yes Detroit city itself is a shit hole, half of the other suburbs in the metro area are either ghetto and depressing or boring and depressing. There is no real mass transit to speak of, if you don't have a car you are boned. Sprawl is pretty bad, you can drive 30 miles in any direction from downtown Detroit and never make it out of suburbia. The weather is pretty cold and terrible, winter takes up half the year.

Once you get over the "olol Detroit" factor though, there are some upsides. Cost of living is very low, decent houses can be had for under $150k in decent neighborhoods. Most of the suburbs are built on a grid system so it's pretty easy to get around. Some suburbs like Royal Oak and Birmingham have developed walkable downtown areas with all the shops, restaurants and bars that would have been in Detroit if it weren't so terrible.

It wouldn't be so bad is you could actually find and keep a job in the area.

I grew up in Royal Oak as well. I live in Warren now... the most boring, plain, useless city ever.

And yes, everything else is accurate.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I love Colorado to death, but:

The recent explosion of "medical" marijuana dispensaries are starting to piss me right off.

Now, I don't smoke, but I'm all for legalization and taxation/regulation. It's all these "clinics" up in arms about the new bills trying to be passed to limit the amount of "clinics" we can have. Or something like that. All I know is that it's threatening to close down the vast majority of them.

Look, I had an acquaintance in college who dropped out to start a pool cleaning business in fucking Las Vegas, where it regularly hits in the mid 200's. Needless to say he didn't last long with the thousands of other fucking pool cleaners in his block alone.

What does this have to do with "clinics?" Down Broadway there's one on every corner. Possibly three per street. It's like weed Starbucks. Of course you're being run out of business there's nothing but herbal clinics downtown.

There's also an absurd rivalry thing going on between the clinics that's annoying as well.

Also Boulder and its hippies. I never go to the Springs, but the few times I have I was able to find a beer within moments and all was well.

Yes given all that I would still talk about Colorado without disdain and I can't imagine too many people outside of Colorado talking poorly of us. At least not in the way that people talk about the South or the Appalachia area.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Philadelphia.

The vast majority of things that suck about Philadelphia are Pennsylvania related.

I've been pushing secession for some time now.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I love Colorado to death, but:

The recent explosion of "medical" marijuana dispensaries are starting to piss me right off.

Now, I don't smoke, but I'm all for legalization and taxation/regulation. It's all these "clinics" up in arms about the new bills trying to be passed to limit the amount of "clinics" we can have. Or something like that. All I know is that it's threatening to close down the vast majority of them.

Look, I had an acquaintance in college who dropped out to start a pool cleaning business in fucking Las Vegas, where it regularly hits in the mid 200's. Needless to say he didn't last long with the thousands of other fucking pool cleaners in his block alone.

What does this have to do with "clinics?" Down Broadway there's one on every corner. Possibly three per street. It's like weed Starbucks. Of course you're being run out of business there's nothing but herbal clinics downtown.

There's also an absurd rivalry thing going on between the clinics that's annoying as well.

Also Boulder and its hippies. I never go to the Springs, but the few times I have I was able to find a beer within moments and all was well.

Yes given all that I would still talk about Colorado without disdain and I can't imagine too many people outside of Colorado talking poorly of us. At least not in the way that people talk about the South or the Appalachia area.

I have to ask...is Colorado Springs as creepy as the popular press inadvertently (I assume) make it out to be?

I've never been to Colorado (knew a guy from Boulder when I was in Yokohama though), and I've lived in military towns before, but from the news you hear about it, with the military scandals and weird approach to local government, Colorado Springs sounds increasingly like bizarro world. Is that a gross exaggeration?

Synthesis on
  • ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Liquor stores also aren't open on sunday here, but if you really need to go to a liquor store on sunday you are either a drunk or a college student or both, and either way I'm not too fussed that you can't buy a bottle of HRD.

We can't get beer/wine until noon on Sunday in New Mexico. However, we like to do most of our shopping on Sunday AM before all the churchies show up. Why shouldn't we get beer and wine with the rest of our groceries?

New Mexico is poor, has low/stagnant wages, hoards of Californian's over paying for houses (fucking up the market) and olde time corruption and the public schools pretty much suck. But the living is laid back and we have both good Mexican and New Mexican food. Also not as hot at Arizona or Texas. So I'll take that.

Colanut on
  • Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I could probably come up with some bad things about San Diego, but I'd much rather talk about where I used to live, or rather that I narrowly escaped, Fresno, California.

First of all, it's the capital of the middle of nowhere. We are the largest metro-area that is not the greater San Fran/San Jose/Los Angeles/Sacremento/San Diego area. We exist in a large flat bubble of farmland surrounded by mountains.

The air is horrible, I actually have better air quality going to SD or LA, the town neatly segregates into two sections. Gantstas/Wannabes that occupy the south area of the city and haughty suburbanite Evangelical Soccer moms that dominate the north end of town with an Iron fist. I am not joking when I say that this city is more religious than many areas of the rural south. This sort of creates a vacuum of intelligence because anyone smart enough not to be in one of the above two classifications will immediately move out the first chance they get.

There's not really much to do, as nobody really bothered to build anything of interest in the city and its terrain consists exclusively of concrete, dirt and dry brush with the occasional planter if whoever owns the property can afford the water bill. The city has crime up the wazoo and I believe there were quite a number of years where it led the nation in certain drug related crimes and car theft was pretty bad too.

Then there's the weather. Oooooh boy. You have a period from about may 15th through about September 20th (if you're lucky)/October 20th (if you're not) where you will praise the flying spaghetti monster that the temperature is just 99, with the heat that typically is anywhere between 105-117 from about 9:00 in the morning until around 9:00 at night. Summer nightly temperatures during this period don't usually go below about 80-85 degrees. If you ever wanted to know where the San Joaquin River's water went, it's what manages to keep what little greenery was planted on the north side of town from burning to cinders during the summer.

For a small town, traffic is horrible and drivers are insane. I actually deal with less traffic in San Diego than I did in Fresno. In fact, the only times I've seen worse drivers was when I visited Atlanta.

This town is literally a stain on California's otherwise good name, as it serves as the capital that the California Evangelical/Tea Party element rallies around. There is nothing good to be said about the town except that because of its location you can always get good farm fresh produce if you know where to look. That's about it.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I have to ask...is Colorado Springs as creepy as the popular press inadvertently (I assume) make it out to be?

I've never been to Colorado (knew a guy from Boulder when I was in Yokohama though), and I've lived in military towns before, but from the news you hear about it, with the military scandals and weird approach to local government, Colorado Springs sounds increasingly like bizarro world. Is that a gross exaggeration?

I've spent small amounts of time down there and it certainly has a heavy religion and military feel to it, but nothing worse than say most parts of Texas(I've lived in many places in Texas so I feel comfortable saying this). Its pretty bad compared to Denver/Boulder but when compared with other religious areas like the South I don't think its massively different.

I'll let someone who lives down there add to that / clarify if I'm wrong.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    I live in Carlsbad, California. I'm 5 minutes from the beach, weather is always perfect, hot girls everywhere, plenty of places to go hiking nearby, and getting to downtown SD is easy as fuck on the nearby coaster. Nothing to really complain about at all, aside from no jobs but that's everywhere in Cali. Whenever I hear some 18 year old girl talk about how boring it is here I just laugh. I've lived here all my life, traveled a lot and when I'm abroad and people ask me where I'm from every time they say how jealous they are I get to live here.

I live in La Jolla, directly south of Carlsbad by 10 miles or so.

San Diego is a massive military town and a massive tourism town. I am not in the military but i am applying for jobs with mostly military contractors. Most other jobs here are tourism related if they are close to the beach. That is, if there were any jobs.

During the summer the entire state of Arizona moves here and clogs our beaches. They act like we are servants. But in turn the locals act like anyone they do not directly know are outsiders and suddenly everyone at the beach pretends that they are Hawaiians defending their sacred beaches. I have seen a lot of fights at beaches between tourist kids and kids from down the street.

The vast majority of people here are very very pretty, but also very aware of it. I don't think i know a single person that does not ingest protein supplements in some form. It is much worse in downtown San Diego, where there is what i can only describe as a Hollywood wannabe crowd, complete with bars that you have to pay a 40$ cover and wear a suit to get into. Except that place closes at 2 AM. The whole "dude" "brah" "chill" is centralized here, especially in the college beach areas. Also there is a large amount of people here that pretend to be poor but somehow they own a bmw and their parents live in a mansion in a gated community.

The major plus for me though is that the San Diego area is the only place i have ever lived where i have had zero allergy attacks. Seeing as how living in the Midwest meant that i would be ingesting Sudafed every 6 hours, i prefer this.

Edit: also rent here makes no sense, a typical place in a older appartment building could be 1600$ a month. But in turn if you knew someone that lived on the beach they might rent out a room for you for 450$ a month if you ask nicely. Live in an appartment in an upscale area, 2000$ a month. Live in the shitty part of downtown? Try 2000$ a month. Live in the nicer part of downtown? Try either 1000$ a month or 5000$ a month, but not 2000$.

In la jolla a bmw is probably the equivalent of an economy car in the real world, so maybe that's why they feel poor.

Very true, especially considering that the Whole Foods is the 2nd most expensive grocery store in town next to "Bristol Farms" and other boutique places. There is a small portion of the people that go to college at UCSD that are down to earth though, but most everyone seems to be on daddys payroll.
    I live in Stillwater, MN. This means that I am part of Michelle Bachmann's District O' Crazy. Need I say any more than that? D:

I actually had a good friend that was a neighbor of hers, and even 10 years ago before she got into state politics she was completely insane. I could never understand how anyone that actually met her could endorse her for office or vote for her. I mean, I know it's sampling bias, but everyone I know thinks she's a complete silly goose that just needs to go away.

I just hope that next time she runs against someone without a name that a Night Elf would be proud of. Elwyn Tinklenberg. He did extremely well considering all of his donations came in at the last minute, but if he had been out campaigning against her crazyness from the beginning he might have done this state proud.

Ah well. At least we have Franken for senator. I love this state. :)

I used to live there, left in 2000 when i graduated from high school. It was so wonderful to spite vote for Jessie Ventura just to see the crazy republican girls in class freak out when he won. Such a varsity blues high-school town. Yet there are definitely suburbs that are more liberal than most, at least secretly. Does every idiot that is around the age of 18 wander around town with letter jackets on, mean mugging it at Bakers Square?

Of all my friends from the past, the ones from Stillwater are the most racist and right wing. They are the types that frequently update their facebook status with "Obummer" and "Get the illegals out of America" and some are members of the tea party. Yet if i went back there right now we could get a 40 hour game of D&D going. Some friends are hard to let go of even once they go full nutcase.

Barcardi on
  • LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I currently live in Glasgow. It's absolutely fucking freezing in the winter and people get very drunk and very noisy at 2am. It's also pretty violent: I have come home to find blood splattered across my front door, and on another occassion found a dead body lying on the street outside my flat. Oh, and you can never order meat from a take-away: you will not recieve meat. You will receive protein inside a deep-fried batter casing.

All said though, Glasgow is pretty cool. It's a better version of my hometown of Belfast, which has no redeeming features.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    I grew up in Royal Oak, Michigan. It's an upper-middle class white suburb of Detroit. It was actually pretty nice and safe. I mean yes Detroit city itself is a shit hole, half of the other suburbs in the metro area are either ghetto and depressing or boring and depressing. There is no real mass transit to speak of, if you don't have a car you are boned. Sprawl is pretty bad, you can drive 30 miles in any direction from downtown Detroit and never make it out of suburbia. The weather is pretty cold and terrible, winter takes up half the year.

Once you get over the "olol Detroit" factor though, there are some upsides. Cost of living is very low, decent houses can be had for under $150k in decent neighborhoods. Most of the suburbs are built on a grid system so it's pretty easy to get around. Some suburbs like Royal Oak and Birmingham have developed walkable downtown areas with all the shops, restaurants and bars that would have been in Detroit if it weren't so terrible.

I grew up in Royal Oak as well. I live in Warren now... the most boring, plain, useless city ever.

Nice, Warren was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote "boring and depressing" though I guess if you go South you can get "ghetto and depressing" too. Also I tend to think the places that Detroit calls "working class suburbs" could easily be the bad neighborhoods in most other cities.

Anyways, I relocated to Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina last year when I got laid off. It's a white upper middle to upper class suburb of Charleston (are you seeing the pattern?). Charleston is weird. It can't decide between being a sleepy southern town and an up and coming city. The cost of living is still fairly low, but if you try to live near the beach or in a nice part of downtown you are all the sudden paying California rent. I am dreading buying a house here because the trend seems to be cookie cutter development communities 20 miles away from anything remotely useful or interesting. Public transit is almost as bad as Detroit, but traffic is probably worse despite being a much smaller metro area. It's actually one of the highest concentrations of wealth in the country, so a good chunk of the people live in an alternate reality where you can be a part time bartender and still drive a Mercedes and live on the beach. All of the affordable places to live are either run down and ghetto or standard suburbia, or sometimes both on the same street.

On the other hand, I can still get to the beach in 10 minutes or less. The food is awesome. Downtown is still a fun place to visit (when it's not 100 degrees and clogged with fat, old southern tourists). Over all it's probably got more going for it than Detroit, but that's not saying much.

Smurph on
  • MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wazilla wrote: »

Nice, Warren was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote "boring and depressing" though I guess if you go South you can get "ghetto and depressing" too. Also I tend to think the places that Detroit calls "working class suburbs" could easily be the bad neighborhoods in most other cities.

Anyways, I relocated to Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina last year when I got laid off. It's a white upper middle to upper class suburb of Charleston (are you seeing the pattern?). Charleston is weird. It can't decide between being a sleepy southern town and an up and coming city. The cost of living is still fairly low, but if you try to live near the beach or in a nice part of downtown you are all the sudden paying California rent. I am dreading buying a house here because the trend seems to be cookie cutter development communities 20 miles away from anything remotely useful or interesting. Public transit is almost as bad as Detroit, but traffic is probably worse despite being a much smaller metro area. It's actually one of the highest concentrations of wealth in the country, so a good chunk of the people live in an alternate reality where you can be a part time bartender and still drive a Mercedes and live on the beach. All of the affordable places to live are either run down and ghetto or standard suburbia, or sometimes both on the same street.

On the other hand, I can still get to the beach in 10 minutes or less. The food is awesome. Downtown is still a fun place to visit (when it's not 100 degrees and clogged with fat, old southern tourists). Over all it's probably got more going for it than Detroit, but that's not saying much.

Yep, As much as I hate Charleston I've got to say Mt Pleasant is probably worse. Oh, and theres public transit here? I thought they hated the idea so much they didnt even build sidewalks.

MadnessBA on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I live in Philadelphia.

The vast majority of things that suck about Philadelphia are Pennsylvania related.

I don't know about that. The bad parts of Philly are baaaddd

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I live in Philadelphia.

I don't know about that. The bad parts of Philly are baaaddd
    I didn't say that there weren't bad parts of Philly.

Just that most of the things that truly suck about Philadelphia are the result of it being in Pennsylvania.

On a lot of levels, that includes the massive urban blight and even the penchant for violence.

Philly gets boned halfway to California on things like school funding and renewal projects, especially when you compare it to the "nice" parts of Pennsylvania. We've got a state legislature that is practically custom made to screw the biggest population center in the state.

Everywhere in PA that isn't Philly hates Philly, and it shows.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Isn't east texas where smaller US companies file all the international copyright/IP/patent stuff, because both the judges and the juries are incredibly tech incompetent and tend to just go with "Muricans are right cause they be Muricans, dur"

Oh right, thanks for reminding me of yet another major failing of east Texas. I'm always shitting on North Florida, but it's light years ahead of east Texas. Moving here was definitely an upgrade.

Not just international copyright stuff, national copyright trolls love East Texas as well.

And Henroid, Tyler does have a public bus system. Just because it doesn't cover much of the town doesn't mean it doesn't exist (I see people waiting at the stop near Wal-Mart all the time).

To those that don't live here, I cannot emphasize just how bad the traffic can get here. During the Christmas season traffic flow near the biggest intersection makes it look like there was a major disaster. Parts of Broadway (the main north-south street) are often backed up to the next light or beyond all year long. If you judge Tyler just on it's traffic you would think it was a major city like Houston. The traffic difference between Tyler and Normal, IL (Bloomington/Normal has roughly the same population as Tyler) is huge.

Broadway is a terrible street. When you get to the side of it outside of the loop, like around the mall, it widens out and is less terrible. But the part of it that cuts into the downtown area is so fucking terrible. It becomes a goddamn two-lane road.

As for this fabled bus system, it must be severely restricted because I haven't seen any buses here in my four years of living in this pit. You must be talking about the Wal-Mart down on Broadway.

Henroid on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    unfortunately for me, New Jersey is perfect, especially if you live in a town that borders Newark.

I'm intrigued. I would like to know more.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Edmonton, AB.

We have issues with urban sprawl, poor public transit, leading all Canadian cities in domestic violence and divorce, high rental prices (despite the economic slowdown), general high costs of living, did I mention urban sprawl, poor city planning (see our Anthony Henday Fuck Up Ring Road), a horrible hockey team and a complete disregard to the high number of homeless in our city core.

But, hey, at least we're not Regina. Or Winnipeg.

Hey, I live in Regina and it's not so bad here.

Drivers here are fucking crazy, though.

Fair bit of racism among a lot of people, unfortunately.

LockedOnTarget on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mentioned the racism in Tyler, I should explain how I identify it:

Almost any store I go into here, if the person working is dealing with someone of not-the-same-ethnicity, they seem to just want to get the transaction or whatever over with. But if they're both Mexican or both white or whatever, oh they're able to pal around.

The most passive aggressive people here are the Mexicans. Mostly because they like to talk shit in Spanish. I may not speak the language all too well but my dad was keen on letting me in on a few of the bad things to say about people.

Henroid on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You want to see a shitty part of Philly, check 440 E Clearfield Street. That's where I grew up. Shitty ass row home on a shitty ass street in the shitty ass portion of Kensington. Google Earth has it on Street View, but I can't figure out how to link directly to it.

iguanacus on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All said though, Glasgow is pretty cool. It's a better version of my hometown of Belfast, which has no redeeming features.

Hey, that's not true, Belfast has tonnes of redeeming features!

Actually, I can't back that statement up.

At all.

Rotam on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's not Derry?

edit: That's not fair. I've only heard that Derry isn't very nice. And that's probably incorrect.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. The weather's pretty crappy; we don't have much water; and I'll probably have to commute for 1 hour to (or move to) Melbourne once I get a full-time job.

That's... about all I can think of, really. I live in a pretty good suburb so I'm probably not exposed to the worst the city has to offer.

His Corkiness on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rotam wrote: »

Hey, that's not true, Belfast has tonnes of redeeming features!

Actually, I can't back that statement up.

At all.

Belfast has some interesting Victorian architecture and the SS Nomadic. Redemption!

RMS Oceanic on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay lets go SYDNEY, AUS

- It costs a fucktonne to buy a house
    - Speaking of houses, that's all we have. Everyone wants a house, and they've certainly provided - we've taken up about as much space as American cities with twice our population. I repeat - we waste more space than the richest country in the world (more carbon emissions too)
    - Our state government is a pack of corrupt arseholes, but the alternative are a bunch of conservative wankers who everyone knows will stiff the blue collars. Considering the blue collars are having a hard enough time paying off their house debt, its a rock and a hard place.

SPEAKING OF a rock and a hard place, let's talk about our politics, briefly, on a national level!
    On one hand:
    - Religious nutjob
    - Wants to filter the internet from unChristian things
    - Ditched basically all the major promises he made during the last election so no one knows what the fuck he's going to do (except apparently an internet censorship scheme)

On the other hand:
    - Religious nutjob
    - Doesn't believe in climate change
    - Wants to ban the dole for people under 30
    - Wants to send people on the dole to work in the mines.

theSquid on
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corning/Elmira/Binghamton, NY: NY is great at three things - pizza, taxes, and deer. Oh my god the deer population is absolutely fucking insane.

small town in Kentucky (not naming it because it is so, so small): Dry county, the closest bar is ~35 miles, the closest liquor store is about ~70 miles - the county north of us was "damp" but just went "wet", they were flooded with so many applications for liquor store development that it took over a month to start approving and the first liquor store should start construction this month. Also in the bible belt, so lots of churches and people like Jesus an awful lot.

Montrose, CO: If you've ever lived in NY and thought what you really needed was more taxes, or if you've ever lived in KY and thought you needed more racism and a frantic insane love of Jesus, you should move here. At least in KY they like jesus but they still have premarital sex; in Montrose, the only people who aren't saving themselves for marriage are skinheads. They also have state, county, and city taxes, so you pay nearly 9% on most items and pay 3-4% on foods such as milk, eggs, and bread.

Bloomington, IN: Overpriced college town with required deep hate between townies and college kids. Flat as fuck, windy as hell, humid in summer, crappy in winter, and lots of tornado warnings. If there is snow on the roads, everyone will either drive 80MPH or 5MPH; there is no middle ground, even in a whiteout.

cabsy on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Germany is pretty okay to live in, especially if you live in a relatively safe town like Karlsruhe
    can get boring, but a few bigger towns are quite near ;)

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cabsy wrote: »
    Corning/Elmira/Binghamton, NY: NY is great at three things - pizza, taxes, and deer. Oh my god the deer population is absolutely fucking insane.

I went to Binghamton once. It was like Detroit but not as nice. I was interviewing for a job, and the interviewer told me that when she first moved there she suffered from depression for over a year because it was so shitty. This girl had moved there from Russia.

Smurph on
    edited June 2010

I went to Binghamton once. It was like Detroit but not as nice. I was interviewing for a job, and the interviewer told me that when she first moved there she suffered from depression for over a year because it was so shitty. This girl had moved there from Russia.

There are (or were, I haven't lived in that area for a while) a lot of nice smaller towns around that area, and a lot of people go to places like Ithaca or Rochester to hang out instead of Binghamton. It is cloudy a lot, supposedly it has the same amount of cloudy days as Seattle, cannot confirm or deny this but it is one of the 'facts' my mother came up with for getting my family to relocate.

cabsy on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd just like to thank everyone for making me really appreciate Tallahassee. I mean, I already resigned myself to living here for the next 20 years, and it's not a bad place to live, but apparently I could be doing a hell of a lot worse.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    Most importantly, I find a vast majority of people in this city to be incredibly friendly and inviting. I think this has to do with the explosion in migrants to the city from all over Canada, and the world for that matter, over the past couply of years.

Actually I've found Edmontonians have always been that way. When I lived on the lower mainland I found people were disturbingly stand-offish and kept to themselves a lot. In Edmonton people tend to stick together and socialize with each other. I think it's because we are the furthest northern major metropolitan centre in North America, and kinda only have each other to keep this city going and make it through the winters.

You can find inviting sympathy through shared suffering.

True enough, I will agree with you. I think the Newfs just add to that sense of coming together to make the best of it, even though I find some of them exhibit a high degree of that "Going to take everything I can and head back to Newfoundland in five years without giving a damn" attitude.

I need to emphasize our glorious park system though, specifically the river valley. If you can avoid the dead bodies, it's fantastic fo walking, running, biking, etc.

Also, Edmonton has a grew microbrewery in the form of Alley Kat Brewery who just had their first cask beer even at the Sugar Bowl two Fridays ago. Apparently it'll become a monthly thing which I'm looking forward to. In addition, wee tend to have some great indepenent coffee shops that serve some delicious coffees and baked goods. Toss in our Mountain Equipment Co-Op and we have good set of positives to offset the negatives about this place.

Oh, and Bioware is located here. Well, at least their Canadian studios are. The one that brough us NWN, Mass Affect, Mass Affect II.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd just like to thank everyone for making me really appreciate Tallahassee. I mean, I already resigned myself to living here for the next 20 years, and it's not a bad place to live, but apparently I could be doing a hell of a lot worse.

I know what you mean - I was trying to think of comparable stuff to complain about from my home town, and there isn't much apart from it being fairly dull with a limited job market - and I'm not even sure about that, as I hightailed it out of there as soon as I left university.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    True enough, I will agree with you. I think the Newfs just add to that sense of coming together to make the best of it, even though I find some of them exhibit a high degree of that "Going to take everything I can and head back to Newfoundland in five years without giving a damn" attitude.

I need to emphasize our glorious park system though, specifically the river valley. If you can avoid the dead bodies, it's fantastic fo walking, running, biking, etc.

Also, Edmonton has a grew microbrewery in the form of Alley Kat Brewery who just had their first cask beer even at the Sugar Bowl two Fridays ago. Apparently it'll become a monthly thing which I'm looking forward to. In addition, wee tend to have some great indepenent coffee shops that serve some delicious coffees and baked goods. Toss in our Mountain Equipment Co-Op and we have good set of positives to offset the negatives about this place.

Oh, and Bioware is located here. Well, at least their Canadian studios are. The one that brough us NWN, Mass Affect, Mass Affect II.

Yeah, if i ever manage to con bioware into giving me a job hopefully it'd be in the Edmonton office, the place sounds like somewhere i wouldn't mind living. That said it's a pretty long shot so it's probably all academic anyway.

Anyway - I'm from Sligo, a small town on the north-west coast of Ireland part of a province called Connaught.

For those that don't know, the north-west is the really shitty part of Ireland. It's so bad that when Oliver Cromwell was busy being the biggest dick he possibly could way back in 1649 he offered Irish people a choice of "to hell or to Connaught ". Grudgingly, most people chose hell.

Most of what made it so awful back then isn't really an issue anymore, so you can appreciate the scenic beauty of the place but it still has it's problems.

most of which are variations on the sterotypical "small town" attitude.
    - Unless you were born there you'll always be a "blow in".
    - If you were born there and you leave, people will give you shit over it.
    - Double that shit if you leave for the UK. You're not supposed to like "the brits"
    - Stupid attitude towards drink driving. "ahh shure, i'm grand to drive" regardless of the fact you can't really stand without help.
    - It never, ever stops raining

- A newly emerging undercurrent of racism, granted it didn't help that one of Ireland's more infamous cases of phony asylum seeking was living in Sligo and managed to get plenty of people on her side before her charade was exposed making them feel foolish, but that doesn't really excuse the current attitude of "they're all lying, scamming thieves!"

- And it's dull. So damn dull. A friend of mine and I Joked that the town of Sligo is so limited in what you can do that if you know people are out for the night then you can predict with startling accuracy where they'll be based on what time of night it is. As it turns out, we were right. Everyone heads to the same few pubs, then at roughly the same time to the same few niteclubs and then few chippers in town get swamped at closing time.
    And people wonder why there's absolute carnage every goddamn weekend.

Ohh, and most of the members of nauseating boy band "westlife" are from Sligo.
    We're sorry about that.
    so, so sorry.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I watched Bohemians play Sligo Rovers when I was there a few years ago. That's the only reason I recognize the name Sligo.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited June 2010

I know what you mean - I was trying to think of comparable stuff to complain about from my home town, and there isn't much apart from it being fairly dull with a limited job market - and I'm not even sure about that, as I hightailed it out of there as soon as I left university.

I actually like my current town (the small one in Kentucky), but this is the 'things that suck' thread and not the 'omg I can get awesome produce that is primarily organic from the massive amish community, it's beautiful here, and everyone is so friendly that sometimes it borders on obnoxious' thread... though I did just get my first phone bill and found out I'm going to pay nearly $37 in taxes on a $49.99 a month plan, so really, fuck this town for today.

cabsy on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I watched Bohemians play Sligo Rovers when I was there a few years ago. That's the only reason I recognize the name Sligo.

Ohh yeah, I'd forgot about Rovers and how they couldn't kick snow off a rope. Bless 'em.
    But you're not allowed mention that, it's frowned upon.

I take it you were visiting Dublin then?

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Somebody has said it so much better than I ever could.

Where I live now

Where I used to live

adytum on
    edited June 2010
    Yes, there was a conference at Trinity College that I attended so I had some downtime since the conference was outright boring.

Morgenstern on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

There are (or were, I haven't lived in that area for a while) a lot of nice smaller towns around that area, and a lot of people go to places like Ithaca or Rochester to hang out instead of Binghamton. It is cloudy a lot, supposedly it has the same amount of cloudy days as Seattle, cannot confirm or deny this but it is one of the 'facts' my mother came up with for getting my family to relocate.

At least you have Wegmans up there.

KalTorak on