As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkfall] A game of grinds

KovakKovak did a lot of drugsmarried cher?Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
Darkfall is a fantasy world mmorpg that plays as an fps. The world is billed as the largest, handcrafted, seamless, uninstanced mmo world. Whatever that means.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/index.html

The basic promise is full loot pvp with city owning and sieges and no safe zones. There is no autotargeting or autoattack, everything is player targeted. It plays like morrowind crossed with shadowbane and takes some inspiration from UO. The combat is often compared to Quake, it's all about movement

I've been playing Darkfall for the past month or two. It had a rocky start, but it's starting to shape up now that it's reached its first birthday. They've gotten rid of the hackers and reduced the grind a good bit. All skills level twice as fast now, and magic levels 6x as fast. There's really nothing else like it on the market.

Features:
-Full loot PVP
-Everything is player crafted
-Mounted Combat
-Skill system like Elder Scrolls/UO, skills train as you use them and you can have every skill.
-Naval combat with ships ranging from rafts to 70 cannon ships of the line.
-Castle Sieges
-Combined Naval and Land assaults on coastal cities
-Skiing, like in Tribes, and movement in general is a huge part of the game
-No invisibility, stealth must be accomplished through use of terrain
-No player names over the head

They just launched a 14 day free trial today you can find information at:
http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=248123

Making a character:
There are no classes in darkfall and your character will be able to pick up every skill in the game, so making a character is mostly just choosing race.

Race determines some racial abilities, what "epic" crafted weapons you can make, and who you are loosely allied with.

The game is broken into 3 alliances, although you can attack and kill anyone on your side indiscriminately. This will result in your alignment going negative and your name going red. Red players are not able to enter friendly npc cities so they can not craft, bank, and respawn in npc cities. There are some neutral npc cities called chaos cities that can be operated out of, and player cities and alliances are not affected by the red/blue alignment system.

orks, mahirim(wolf furries) are on one team
elfs, dwarfs, and humans are a second side
and the third side is made up of alfar(dark elves)

It's fairly easy to operate and play with people of other alliances though so race doesn't matter to much.

Here is a beginners guide from the official website: http://www.eu1.darkfallonline.com/help/

and some general tips: http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=149310

Darkfall has an extremely high learning curve, and it's not really the easiest game to get into. There aren't very many quests. Although a few do exist in the starter cities that will get you some gold to start off with. There are long grind quests called Title quests available in your capital city. They provide a decent sum of gold to start off with and each one unlocks a permanent buff that will add +2/+4/+6 to one of the six stats, there are 3 successive title quests unlocking the increased bonuses. Only one title buff can be active at a time, but you can have all 6 +6 buffs to choose from.

Here's a couple youtubes if you want to check out the game:

There is a kraken:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOHCWC1Wek&feature=player_embedded#!

one of the official trailers, go to the second half to see fleets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjFlUa_kJqQ

This video shows off how some of the spells can be creatively used
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8YjJNKbt9o&fmt=22

Heres some pvp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWHO8...eature=related

Players: Forum - Ingame
US1
Kovak - Bigg Johnson
EU1

hit me up and I may be able to help out with some gear, I'm only 2 months of casual play into the game, but I can craft some decent armor and weapons.

Kovak on

• Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did they make it so you no longer have to pay 1$ for the free trial?

If so, I might have a go.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah, it's free now

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kovak wrote: »

Yeah, it's free now

Excellent. I meant to buy this when it first came out, but thought the price was too steep, and I was pissed at how bad the store ques were, so I passed it up in favor of buying Dawn of War 2.

I'm US, so I'll play on the US server some time. Tell me, how many player cities are there?

What's the most popular race?

How populated is the game? Will I go into the wilderness seeing no one for hours, or will I constantly run into solo adventurers, 'bandits' or war parties?

Is the game all it was hyped up to be?

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kovak wrote: »

Yeah, it's free now

Excellent. I meant to buy this when it first came out, but thought the price was too steep, and I was pissed at how bad the store ques were, so I passed it up in favor of buying Dawn of War 2.

I'm US, so I'll play on the US server some time. Tell me, how many player cities are there?

What's the most popular race?

How populated is the game? Will I go into the wilderness seeing no one for hours, or will I constantly run into solo adventurers, 'bandits' or war parties?

Is the game all it was hyped up to be?

Here is a map of the world, you can pull up player cities and count

http://feylines.net/yourmom/

There's I think 70-100 set spots for cities.

There is also a lot of empty wilderness, you need to know where spawns are to find people. Usually a couple people around every npc city. I've been pked multiple times every time I've played at primetime.

Alfar are the most popular race.

The game is pretty unique in the way its played and i find it to be an incredible amount of fun. Especially with friends. It's got some polishing to do but the basics are there and the servers are pretty good, usually about 70-140 ping for a world like this is pretty good.

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for all the info. When I can, I'll give this a try. The wolf people and orc people look sweet, so I'll probably roll one of them.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    algorhythmalgorhythm Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MMO like UO?

downloading now.

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    FFFFUUUUUUCKKKK

10gb patch download? Leaving overnight...

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gonna try this as well. Kinda petered out on Fallen Earth, yet I still hunger for a decent FPS MMO

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Played from launch for about six months, then another two months this year. I wouldn't touch it again with a ten foot pole. There is a ridiculous grind to be remotely competitive, and a really small population so the world feels absolutely empty. Sieges can be fun, but only if they don't turn into massive zerg/lag fests, and only if you find people worth playing with. Neither of these things is very common. Free trial though, so at least you won't waste any money!

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuck Microsoft Silverlight. That map is not important enough to put up with that.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm all for rough games like Morrowind/UO.

I'll be on tonight.

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh hey, no more stupid "pay money for free trial" bollocks. Gonna give this a spin.

[edit] Fast torrent it ain't.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Oh hey, no more stupid "pay money for free trial" bollocks. Gonna give this a spin.

[edit] Fast torrent it ain't.

I got a really good 800 kbs speed going on the torrent last night before I went to bed, and I forgot to turn it off, so I'm probably still seeding it.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i may sign up for the free trial, i awaited this game for 3-4 years when it was in development, hell i remember making a hype thread for it like 2 years ago, but slowly as release got closer i began to smell the shit it was putting on my plate. If it has improved from launch though I might give the free trial a shot

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All I remember about this was watching arghy's descent into madness due to the game sucking so badly. Has it been overhauled since then?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    the grind has been reduced significantly, ive been player hella casually and making ok progress.

the last grind that's really in the game is hp and stats, but they're changing the way hp calculates later this month. They've acknowledged they're working on self-buffs

they've gotten rid of all the hackers

it's definitely not for everyone

hell of a lot better than shadowbane in most respects and that game was mad fun

the game plays pretty smoothly unless you're in a huge siege

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mother fucker.

I left my laptop on overnight to download the 10gb patch and now there's another 8gb left to download before I can play.

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I followed this damn game religiously for over five years.

It was fun enough when I finally got into beta, but it has several glaring faults in my mind.

1) No skill cap.

Honestly, there was supposed to be a soft cap which would actually make people have to specialize. Instead we have this messy tank mage game where everyone is exactly the same. Boring.

2) The Crafting Economy failed.

Yeah, all the items are made by players. We've been wanting a game like this forever... too bad crafting can only be mastered if you're backed by a guild. It's nigh impossible to be a "solo" craftsman. This issue is further compounded by the fact that strangers typically don't trade with other strangers. There's a high level of mistrust in this game unfortunately. Which ties into...

3) No law.

Some people might like this... and I thought I would too. However, player enforced justice simply doesn't work. There has to be some sort of hard checks to keep anarchy from occurring. Now, if you like a game where nobody gives a fuck and you can kill anyone with impunity, Darkfall is definitely for you. I, however, like some semblance of order in my RPGs. UO had more friendly, "law abiding" people than murderers. Darkfall is basically one giant Bucs Den.

I just can't force myself to like this game. It caters to much to the hardcore crowd and I've outgrown the need to be hardcore. There's not much to do beyond PvP (and believe me, I thought I'd like a game like that... but turns out I need a game with a fleshed out PvE component) There's almost no way to compete unless you devote a ton of time to it. It really sucks 'cuz I wanted to give my soul to this game :lol:

Admittedly my knowledge of this game may be outdated, so please feel free to correct me if any of the above has changed.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hoping the crafting is better and not needing to be guild backed, ever since i heard about this game i wanted to be a merchant of sorts D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Suddenly, login queues.

Glal on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We already had a Darkfall thread and it went to the can for a reason.

Brian on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Now that my ISP stopped acting up and I could upload it, the first thing new players see at the starting area I picked.

darkfalllawl.jpg

Classy. 8-)

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can't play this game, because like my iTunes, Aliens vs Predator (new one), and Borderlands all attested to me, I'm getting the stupid Error 1935 for installing Microsoft Visual 2008, which from what research I found on the 'net, is a Vista bug.

So short of reinstalling Windows, I can't play Darkfall's trial. Sad. :(

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hopefully I'll be on tonight.. I had another gig or so left to download for patching...

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Whelp, I've 15 more hours to finish my quests and make my way to my clan's city before hunting season is declared on me. Was told that the starting cities are very PK-happy if you dawdle too long and let your protection run out there. :P

Glal on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm downloading it.

Anyone want to point me towards a clan I can join?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ork and Dwarf starter lands are fairly underpopulated and a good place to get your feet on the ground.

There is a clan called NEW that is specifically for new players

i haven't really found a clan yet

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, I get "Could not establish log in server connection: Timeout (#2)" Every time I try to log in.

I have added firewall exceptions, I have port forwarded UDP 32500, I am running it in admin mode on windows 7.

No luck.

Any help?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Can you turn off the firewall, just to check if that's even a problem?

I personally just joined NEW. Bumped into one of their lieutenants and he gave me a bunch of gear and advice on the game.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    where is everyone at?

I'm in the human lands, may be able to get on today

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, I was going to try the Dawntide beta today, but it just choked on all the players and got put on hold, so Darkfall it is. I'm in Furry McWolf lands myself.

By the way, some useful video guides for new characters. If you like doing quests I suggest not doing what the guy does (ie, ignores all except the starter quests and the repeatable troll quest) and do the quests at your starting city, as they will provide you with a couple of sets of gear, multiple weapon types and most of the gathering tools, along with some cash. Advice on what skills to get and how/when to get a mount sounds keen, however.

[edit] Crap, I should've made a guy called Furry McWolf. And spend most of the time running away from people trying to kill me, no doubt.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you are like

1 hour away from having a mount at any point

get your herbalism sickle go get a steed grass, probably take about 30 minutes ish to harvest one

they're random rare drops

then you just need the 500 gold for the skill and the taming whistle

be aware when you spawn your mount people can jump on it and steal it and they will not go target-able to you if you're in a player city

i dont carry mine often with me when im leveling or doing anything but traveling long distances because they're expensive when you're new

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My firewall is off....still no luck. I have no idea what to do.

Edit: Screw this. I've never had problems just logging into a game before. I shut down all firewalls, put myself in the DMZ, then tried direct wiring into the modem...Nothing worked?

No thanks. This game may be neat and stuff, but there isn't a single troubleshoot for this problem, and it seems like quite a few people have it. But there is no way to solve it.

Sorry Darkfall, but if I can't log in to your game on a trial? yikes...

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll be honest... I logged in, made a human character, and ran around for a while.

No fucking clue what to do. Any advice?

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Speak to the nearest NPC (Councilor X), they'll give you a couple of quests, which'll then lead to other NPCs with their own quests. They're mostly just kill and gather quests, but they teach you about how the game works.

[edit] Also, I hope you read the tutorial pop-ups at the start, because you need to know that shit.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Speak to the nearest NPC (Councilor X), they'll give you a couple of quests, which'll then lead to other NPCs with their own quests. They're mostly just kill and gather quests, but they teach you about how the game works.

[edit] Also, I hope you read the tutorial pop-ups at the start, because you need to know that shit.

yup, read the tutorial pop-ups.. I ran around the first town and only found shopkeepers, no one else.

Ran outside the town, found some goblins and died. :?

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Outside the front gate by the respawn point where you logged in there should be an NPC with some quests. Remember to equip all your stuff and only take enemies one at a time; pull them behind some cover if their friends are pelting you with ranged weapons. You'll get some better gear the moment you kill an enemy and take their shit (unwield your weapon and Use their tombstone).
    Also, the upside to starter weapons is that you keep them through death. The downside is that they don't skill up your weapon skills, so the moment you get a better weapon do use it.

I suggest trying to kill Goblin Scouts first (to get some stuff), they go down fastest. Avoid shaman at the start, they're a pretty big pain in the pass. If you really need to get single pulls I recommend approaching while crouched, it reduces your aggro range (I don't use it, too awkward, but hey. On the other hand, once you have a ranged weapon it's a decent way to get single pulls from groups).

Check your Skills tab, you should have Rest in there. When hurt run away behind some cover and get your health and mana back. You also have Mana Missile and Self Heal in the Spells section, but you need a staff to cast those; the way you do it is pretty unintuitive, essentially you equip the weapon, wield it (R), then select the spell (stick them on your action bar. I recommend doing that with weapons also, easier to swap them than via the bag), at which point the attack button casts it. Weird as fuck, but eh.

Watch the first of the videos in the section I posted, it shows you the basics.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    what starter area are you in

im in human lands right now and can get you some stuff

so aggro doesn't really work like in other mmos

it's not based on distance to target

it's actually based on the monsters vision, hearing, and smelling

you can sneak up right behind goblins if you're crouching

once you get a hold of the combat system the controls start to make sense I think

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Finally got quests... I'm in the Human starter town, my name is Kay Fouroh

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    there are 3 which one? also are you on right now, can't send you a tell

Kovak on