As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lord of Ultima: Farmville with Dragons! … and bacon

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    I was all set to start my 2nd city this morning when I realized....Dammit! I need 250 Trade Carts!
    My Town Hall is still only level 9, so I can't make a harbor just yet =/

Carts come from Markets, Ships come from Harbors.

Invisible on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes, I was implying I have to get the carts instead of the 25 ships.

Bloodshed on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ships is actually easier, 1 level 10 harbor versus 2 markets

captaink on
  • SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Getting a Lvl10 Harbor(s) is well worth the cost. Harbors provide a better boost to gold production than Markets, on top of making it easier to fulfill the requirements for settling.

Skulkraken on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm...I realized this morning that I'm terribly bored with this game.

I would say that my cities are open for looting by the alliance but...most of them are reasonably defended and I can't dismiss troops.

And I don't want to just go on a suicide mission to someone strong because that'll get them on me and probably the alliance.

Aaaaand I have a shitton of City Defenders which can't attack.

So yeah.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was all set to start my 2nd city this morning when I realized....Dammit! I need 250 Trade Carts!
    My Town Hall is still only level 9, so I can't make a harbor just yet =/

Yikes. I didn't even look at the costs associated with recruiting a Baron and creating a Settlement. I thought maybe I'd be able to make a 2nd city this week. That's looking much less likely now :p .

I have been picking up all kinds of lvl2 artifacts from Dragons though.

Selner on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    problem with barons is: They have an insane cost themselves, but so do moon stones. And settling costs.

They really didn't want to make getting more cities easy....I just was looking into getting a moonstone, and was chaffed at how much they cost, and serve only one function!

My newb time runes out in 8 hours. I has a scared I'm going to get plundered.

Anon the Felon on
    edited May 2010
    You need progressively more moonstones per baron too Anon.

It's one for the first, 3(?) for the second, 7ish for the 3rd and so-on.

I guess the one benefit is that moonstones aren't city-located, so you can create them anywhere and they're universal. Once you get a few towns up pretty high and there's nothing much else to upgrade you can just dump all their resources into moonstones/barons and dedicate towns solely to creating new towns. It starts to get exponentially faster to get access to more towns.

Having said that I'm for sure done with this game.

If anyone wants to pillage my cities feel free. I'm Galedrid on World 3, continent 52. A couple towns have reasonable defenses so sorry if you have to clear that first (I think I have 500 or so city defenders in my main town plus a lot of other stuff); but once you get that down they should be easy resources.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Why are you done with the game? Just curious. Also city building doesn't seem like it will ever get an quicker since you end up spending so much time just waiting on building completion.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2010
    The Dude With Herpes was referring to the initial settling of new towns, which has a static cost aside from the moonstone/baron limit. If he wants to quit, oh well. He'll miss out on the Shrine-war mid/endgame, but whatever.

Skulkraken on
    edited May 2010
    I just got into this game, seems like a good distraction that doesn't take up too much time. Hopefully that doesn't change when I have multiple cities.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2010
    Once you start getting several cities it stops not taking up a lot of time.

Particularly if you don't have a building minister.

6 buildings in a queue is dumb.

Also after a few towns, town building ceases to be even remotely interesting as it is exactly identical every time. And you can't really risk getting fancy with your builds because there are certain things you require in each town in order to not hinder yourself long-term.

Things like "pure military town" or "pure resource town" sound nice in theory until your resource town gets hammered constantly because you can't put up an adequate defense of it and your military town becomes a slog because you have to transfer so many resources constantly in order to maintain an army to keep attacking whatever.

And attacking isn't terribly interesting ether. Your options are raid dungeons, if they happen to be open anywhere near you, prey on weaker non-allied players for resources or if they're dumb enough to build a castle take it; or attack a well established player and risk getting completely murdered and steamrolled or start an alliance war. So you end up having to play Resource: the Gathering, just like Ikariam only with somewhat more customizable towns.

It's just not for me. It was an interesting distraction for awhile but it is just boring and what you can do is extremely limited.

The Dude With Herpes on

• BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Getting close to 3rd city, Baron recruited, just need to wait for those starter resources.
    It does pick up speed once you've hit the 2nd city.

It does sort of require you basically build every city autonomously, you can send resources from one to another, but then you're gimping your ability to save resources for that next Baron and new city costs.

Does anyone know exactly what it is that causes your city appearance to change? I can't figure it out. Once it seemed like my city looked different after just increasing my city wall level.

Bloodshed on
  • dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Does anyone know exactly what it is that causes your city appearance to change? I can't figure it out. Once it seemed like my city looked different after just increasing my city wall level.

Here you go:

http://www.lordofultima.com/en/wiki/view/city+shapes

5000 city points is the big one, your walls become round!

dylman on
    edited May 2010
    Ahh, thanks. I'll have to look at that when I get home from work. Damn you, work filters!

Bloodshed on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm a fairly new player to this game on server3. I recently joined my alliance and while browsing through their forums (so laggy btw), I found the following post. Normally I'm all about pvp, but I have a thing against allies backstabbing eachother (and yet i keep playing pvp mmos).

I figured i'd come here share this, just wishi knew PA had a guild before i started =P

6XsqV.png

Sorry for the blur, felt like I should at least cover my ass.

He said it was a fake. He buys lots of stuff from me, so it'd be pretty illogical for him to attack me or any PA member on s3c52.

I dunno.

SeñorAmor on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Things like "pure military town" or "pure resource town" sound nice in theory until your resource town gets hammered constantly because you can't put up an adequate defense of it

I don't get this. HIDEOUT. If you have 100,001 of each resource, and 100k hideout capacity, any raid will only get 1 of each resource. A level 10 hideout with three forests covers 26,250. Easy to cover.

Docshifty on
    edited May 2010
    If you have that few resources in your town then it is either very low level or you don't have nearly enough warehouses.

I could hold ~1mil of each resource in every town.

I could earn 100k of every resource in under a day, per town; that is literally nothing and protecting that little isn't really worth the building space the hideouts take.

The Dude With Herpes on

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are you spending a million resources in every town?

Docshifty on
    edited May 2010
    Once you start buying moonstones and settling new towns; easily.

The number of moonstones needed for each new baron grows on an extremely sharp curve

http://www.lordofultima.com/en/wiki/view/units

look at the chart below baron.

You start needing an absurd amount of resources to build/conquer a single city.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2010
    The point where barons start costing astronomical amounts is the point where we're supposed to make use of the ability to abandon unneeded cities. Each backwater/woods city you shrug off frees up one baron slot.

Skulkraken on
    edited May 2010
    If one city is unneeded why would you bother abandoning it and getting another. That doesn't even make sense.

And if you're not getting more and more cities you'll never be able to handle the sheer amount of troops you'd need to tackle the higher level raid/dungeons, let alone other players.

The Dude With Herpes on

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i made an account but could not join world 3, now i am in world 6 continent 3, i feel so alone D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited June 2010
    Hmm, so the servers are down for unscheduled emergency maintenance until tomorrow.
    Upon attempting to log in to the game you are redirected to the official Twitter feed, which links to a post on the official Facebook page. Pretty sad state of affairs when EA (the world's largest game company?) is relying on social networking sites to spread information about the broken state of their game.

Very very glad I've never given EA any money for this game, there will be three quite well developed cities on Server 4 continent 13 up for grabs if/when the servers come back up. :)

dylman on
    edited June 2010
    I read over that facebook thing...

I really don't understand the angst. Its a browser game, its free, and its moderately fun. Who cares if it goes down for a bit? One extended downtime every now and then? a-boo-boo.

They aren't relying on social networking sites, they are using social networking sites. So many people use facebook and twitter, it is an excellent idea to mesh the two together.

Hell, Eve goes down for a day/days when it patches. So this goes down for a while, you're not paying for it, you get fun without having to commit huge amounts of time...I guess I just don't understand.

Maybe I'm patient or something.

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2010
    Well firstly, many people do pay to play the game via micro-transactions (which provide time-limited benefits). Secondly, when the official website redirects to a Twitter feed, and no mention of the problems can be found on ea.com, then it can be said that they are relying on social networking sites a little too much.

So much nerd rage on that Facebook page though :)

dylman on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I last saw they where up to 9 servers? I'm pretty sure they don't care if some folks stop playing...you know, for a little down time.

Sorry but the game is up quite a bit, many games go down for an hour or 2 a day for maint. This goes down every now and then, again.

a-boo-boo.

Anon the Felon on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I last saw they where up to 9 servers? I'm pretty sure they don't care if some folks stop playing...you know, for a little down time.

Sorry but the game is up quite a bit, many games go down for an hour or 2 a day for maint. This goes down every now and then, again.

a-boo-boo.
    Dude, you're talking at him, not with him. His criticism is directed partially at the suddenness of the downtime, but mostly at how the game doesn't post information regarding downtime on its own site, but rather uses social networking sites as its method of communicating these details. Whether this should provoke such indignation is arguable, but it is quite a different thing than just complaining that there is downtime at all.

Also, when you said in your previous post that they are not relying on social networking sites, you were wrong. Try going to the game's wiki, or even its forums, and you'll find that both direct to the twitter feed. They seem to have no means of conveying information to the game's player base regarding the game's status, other than the facebook and twitter pages. That sounds like reliance to me. Again, whether this is a cause for grievance is debatable, but the fact that they are depending on twitter and facebook does not seem to be.

Dizzen on
    edited June 2010
    Some people will compain if they get their cake, ice cream AND get to eat it, too.
    C'est la vie.

Bloodshed on
    edited June 2010
    This game is getting ridiculously frustrating, trying to level up 4 cities at the same time is not fun. 1-5 is such a timesink to level up buildings it is insane. Oh and my alliance is falling apart (#14 on the server, top on my continent by far) we keep getting attack by a really small alliance of douchebags who must be buying tons of diamonds since they can outproduce and rebuild us so quickly even though we have optimized military complexes. Oh and then to add to the problems two of our top players quit and another ones account got hacked.

This is far worse than WoW.

Fizban140 on
    edited June 2010
    Seems like a lot more people are losing interest. Starting to get ghost towns around me now, and most of these people had like 3-8 cities all in the 5k-10k range.

I log in twice a day, set some shit up, collect quest rewards, and that's it.

Bloodshed on
    edited June 2010
    This game is such an incredible timesink, I don't see anyone playing past 20 cities without investing all their free time into it.

Fizban140 on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, while a finished city doesn't need much attention (moonstones, military, shipments with other cities, done), it still adds up. And making new layouts for different cities to make use of their resource bonuses eventually became rather tiresome.

Dizzen on
    edited June 2010
    It just takes so damn long to make an iron city. Right now I have 3 wiki cities (rounded for all resources) four iron cities, a food city a zerker city, a support city (guardians mostly) and then one more iron and a gold city. With this I can make zerks in 3 seconds and never run out of supplies. Pretty nice set up, but it takes forever to get going.

Fuck this game, I am about to quit. One of our top players got their account hacked and our enemy got all their buildings after they went lawless. Now they are harassing us in all chat and taunting me. Real classy dudes that play this game. Oh and there is a spy in our alliance telling them what we are saying and then making fun of it in all chat.

Fizban140 on
    edited July 2010
    Bumping this up...anyone still play? I pretty much have this game figured out. I have 16 cities and about 100k score. My strategy is to build a military city and then structures to support that. My castled city will be able to make 2 second zerks and to support that I have 4 pure iron cities and a food city. I also have to defensive cities to help me and my alliance out that will build only defensive troops, and the resource cities to back them. This is pretty much how you play the game. It is the most efficient way, although there are some variations of mixed cities, like food/gold using the harbor for gold and the rest for food.

Fizban140 on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Bumping this up...anyone still play? I pretty much have this game figured out.

What server are you on?

The alliance I founded on server 3 is now ranked 13th over all and has expanded to encompass 3 separate alliances each with it's own purpose and ranking system. TheDavidReeds.

I think I have 8 cities with the top guy in the #1 alliance of our super alliance having 55.

It's crazy.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited July 2010
    I am on server 5, I wish I was on 3 though. I doubt I will be expanding as fast as I have been, I am just going to max out the cities I have and then maybe add a few slowly, it just takes so much time to quickly level up four cities...I think I had six I was leveling up at once.

Fizban140 on
    edited July 2010
    I still play, on 7.

I only have like 6 cities, though I have 5 barons just sitting there waiting. I've taken an attitude of "build first, expand later".

Anon the Felon on
  • FloowidFloowid Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am still on world 3, c36. Things have finally started to get interesting. The big fighting has begun. I think a lot of people would have enjoyed this part if they had been able to slog through all the initial building.
    Looks like this thread is dead... and the game may not be far behind. I know I don't have the patience or dedication to be "Lord of Ultima"... not sure why I still try.

Floowid on
    edited July 2010
    The only reason I still play this game is because I don't want to let my alliance down by letting 20 cities go lawless.

A bit of an update, my dieing alliance merged with the #9 alliance. That made the other alliances on c45 to fear us and we haven't been attacked as much. That and the other guys in the alliance sent a naval siege against on of the oppositions highest score castles and leveled it to the ground. A week later we merged with another high ranking alliance and are now #5 on the server. This game is fun again, but I still am not expanding much since that is the worst part of the game. I mostly wait for castles/cities to go lawless.

Fizban140 on