As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rare turns 25, celebrates by switching logos

GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
rarewarelogo.jpg
Rare. By gum I love those guys; they've been my favorite developer over the years, from brilliant pieces of software like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Donkey Kong Country Games, Banjo-Kazooie and Jet Force Gemini, to stupid-hard but still fun fare like Battletoads and Blast Corps. This year marks 25 years since the Stamper Brothers of Twycross, England started up a little company called "Ultimate: Play the Game" and made the ZX Spectrum computer their platform of choice before gaining notoriety by developing for the Nintendo Entertainment System, eventually becoming one of Nintendo's second-party devs for a successful, nearly decade-long run.

All good things must end, though, as Rare and Nintendo parted ways in 2002 shortly before the release of Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube, the (ill-advised, some would say) re-working of one of Rare's long-in-development titles, Dinosaur Planet. Microsoft jumped at the chance to have them working exclusively on their increasingly popular XBox, and despite having only 2 games released on the system (only one of them an original IP, Grabbed by the Ghoulies) and a rocky start on the XBox 360, they seem to have regained their footage as a source of creative and unique games, even though most of the original staff, including the Stampers, had long since departed.

Even through the tough times, Rare's iconic and simplistic gold and blue logo was a symbol of quality and innovation . . . but that symbol is now being retired for something new, something different, something . . .
rarenewlogo.jpg
. . . bland as hell.

Yes, this is but one variant of the new Rare logo, with others featuring the "R" within differing geometric shapes of differing colors. I'm not really knocking the new look, it's just jarring to see a logo so equated with a company's identity get changed in such a fashion. I guess Rare is really trying to rebrand themselves nowadays; the old logo could be seen as a relic from the halcyon days of its huge success with Nintendo, and after becoming more or less a Microsoft property, those days have long since ended. They still honor their roots - Live Arcade releases like Jetpac Refuled and the recent masterful enhancement of Perfect Dark prove that - but it looks like it's a whole new Rare now, and as long as they keep the innovation and fun coming, I wish them all the best for hopefully another 25 years.

Let's celebrate Rare's milestone birthday: reminisce about the good times, the great games, and how much that old logo of theirs meant to us as gamers.

Grimthwacker on

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Banjo Nuts and Bolts is a brilliant, but misunderstood piece of software. It was also a tough sell to the masses.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Terrible.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love Rare's new logo. I at best dislike nearly all of Rare's games

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Banjo Nuts and Bolts is a brilliant, but misunderstood piece of software. It was also a tough sell to the masses.
    They needed an excuse to actually justify Stop-n'-Swop's existence. :)

Nuts & Bolts is great; you can lose yourself for a long time just tinkering in the garage to make all sorts of crazy stuff if you're so inclined, or you could simply update some of the existing blueprints to suit your current needs. It's stuff like that which makes me respect Rare so much - you didn't have to do everything they offered in a game, but it's usually so much fun to do it all anyway that you don't really mind.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    not as bad as going from
    namco%20logo.jpg

to
    Namco_Bandai_Games_Logo.png

:?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I hated Nuts and Bolts (or at least the demo) because the vehicle controlled like an ice cube on stilts, and effffffffuck playing that for twelve hours

Also I hate collectathons

Rent on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The demo for Nuts and Bolts is perhaps the worst representation of a full game ever. The actual game is much more fun.

And in case anyone is wondering, Rare's now the studio behind the Xbox avatars, and they're going to do a bunch of Natal stuff.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I hated Nuts and Bolts (or at least the demo) because the vehicle controlled like an ice cube on stilts, and effffffffuck playing that for twelve hours

Rent go :P

I agree that Rare's MO eventually started skewing towards lengthy collectathons after Super Mario 64's success - after all, if you're gonna have people pay a premium retail price for a game, you might as well try to give them their money's worth - but N&B did a good job with giving you enough Jiggies to progress without having to do every single challenge. Besides, there were more than enough parts to improve handling, fuel, speed, and other factors to go around, and you can make vehicles that convert to different forms pretty easily. Hell, most of the time my go-to vehicle was a combat helicopter that could handle most challenges pretty well, with specially made ground vehicles for racing and other play types that were simple enough to make and maintain. You should really give it another shot sometime.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I've created a monster. :3

At least the logo retains some amount of semblance to the one we've known for all these years (the R shape). Really, the only offender here is the hot pink color they've chosen. If they went with a shade of blue, it would've been nice.

Henroid on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ...and they're going to do a bunch of Natal stuff.

That's a shame. Natal looks terrible.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Sorry bud, but in order to make Rent go you have to get 200 totems, 10 eggs, 15 pieces of cheese, 79 birds, 100 dildoes, 80 puzzle pieces, and a tuna sandwich!

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

I've created a monster. :3

At least the logo retains some amount of semblance to the one we've known for all these years (the R shape). Really, the only offender here is the hot pink color they've chosen. If they went with a shade of blue, it would've been nice.

Serves you right for making such a great LP, Hen. Like I said, they have a whole bunch of different versions of the new logo at the ready, as can be seen here, but I don't think any of them include the old blue n' gold people love so much. Again, it's rebranding. Like how Nickelodeon changed their "splat" logo to a simple orange-and-lowercase one recently. Companies change focus, and their identifications change to reflect that.

EDIT:
    Rent wrote:
    Sorry bud, but in order to make Rent go you have to get 200 totems, 10 eggs, 15 pieces of cheese, 79 birds, 100 dildoes, 80 puzzle pieces, and a tuna sandwich!
    . . . Well played, sir. You win . . . for now!

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

That doesn't really apply to Nuts and bolts though. All you collect is notes and jiggies. Everything else is bought or awarded. Banjo-tooie? definitely.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nuts 'n' Bolts was different, but oh so fun.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wish I could enjoy N&B, but I hate games that are all based on racing/time attacks. I love collectathons though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    New logo is lame. The Perfect Dark XBLA port, however, is not. Too bad it's nigh impossible to find an online match already :(. I will love them forever for that game and Goldeneye.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rare used to be so, so awesome.

Donkey Kong Country 1-3, GoldenEye, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox Adventures

But they've had their misses too IMO: Perfect Dark (XBLA version, anyways), the Viva Pinata games, Kameo, BK Nuts and Bolts

As for the new logo, I don't like it right now, but I doubt I'll even care in a year. Just like with Konami's.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Wish I could enjoy N&B, but I hate games that are all based on racing/time attacks. I love collectathons though.

Nuts and Bolts isn't based on racing or time attacks. It's vehicle-based platforming for the most part.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hope they didn't pay anyone a lot of money to develop that new logo, because that's something I'd expect out of a first year design student.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not really a big fan the logo change, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't make a bit of difference one way or another.

Also, the Giant Bomb review of N&B perfectly sums up my feelings on the game: http://www.giantbomb.com/banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts-review/17-110/

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    jagerboltjagerbolt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Had a blast with Goldeneye, loved Banjo Kazooie, laughed very hard at Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64 version) and then after that it was a lot of re-hashed gameplay and too much random stuff to collect. Lost interest in their games pretty quick.

A pink logo? Ummm okay then.

jagerbolt on
    d89dcff329912a4f.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The new logo sucks compared to the old one, but if they actually start making good games again, I will forgive them.
    I still remember, while enjoying PD XBLA, realizing that they hadn't made anything I liked in nearly a decade. It was a weird feeling.

At least PD XBLA is awesome. If they actually follow through on making a new PD game that doesn't suck, those two things alone could be enough to redeem them for me.
    If they get gimmicky Natal in my PD sequel, they will be dead to me.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Donkey Kong Country 1-3, GoldenEye, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox Adventures

But they've had their misses too IMO: Perfect Dark (XBLA version, anyways), the Viva Pinata games, Kameo, BK Nuts and Bolts

As for the new logo, I don't like it right now, but I doubt I'll even care in a year. Just like with Konami's.

This is the weirdest fucking hit and miss list ever.

Seriously DKC 3 and Star Fox adventures are huge misses. Tooie is debateable but it's denfinitely bloated compared to the other two Banjo console games . Also Viva pinata is awesome.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The reason for that is that Unbreakable is a cybernetic being with one and only one reason to exist... to have horrible taste.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Seriously DKC 3 and Star Fox adventures are huge misses. Tooie is debateable but it's denfinitely bloated compared to the other two Banjo console games . Also Viva pinata is awesome.

Tooie is huge, but I wouldn't quite say it was bloated. They use the hugeness to great effect, and the interconnectivity through the levels actually keeps the game on a more managable level.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All the hate for nuts'n'bolts in this thread makes me sad.

The demo should've included the ability to totally break any mission with the garage...how the game intended.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sipex wrote: »

The demo should've included the ability to totally break any mission with the garage...how the game intended.

Bolts one flaw to me was that it should have been more exploration and boss focuses with challenges limited to a few races and transport segments.

Those levels were huge but almost completely empty. Part of it was so they could make you go from A to B and have the time limit seem imposing . It got boring and there was little reason to explore them at all

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Nuts and Bolts isn't based on racing or time attacks. It's vehicle-based platforming for the most part.

In which all the side quests are racing time attack levels.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

DKC 3 is an awesome game and you are wrong, it's no DKC 2 but it is still one of the best platformers on the system

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The reason for that is that Unbreakable is a cybernetic being with one and only one reason to exist... to have horrible taste.

Well, except LOST

Rent on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Please for the love of god will Rare make Killer Instinct 3 now.

Urian on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

There were certainly races, but there was also combat, golf, sheep herding, trick riding, sumo wrestling, darts, etc.. Nuts & Bolts wasn't hurting for variety of things to do.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They should have a new logo. They don't deserve to use the same one all the old members did.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    Please for the love of god will Rare make Killer Instinct 3 now.

I will forgive them if they bring back Cinder.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jclast wrote: »

There were certainly races, but there was also combat, golf, sheep herding, trick riding, sumo wrestling, darts, etc.. Nuts & Bolts wasn't hurting for variety of things to do.

You have to admit though, EVERYTHING was some sort of time attack challenge.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rare hasn't done a decent game in years (of course opinions vary). They did some awesome stuff under the watchful eye of Nintendo with the quality to boot, but since with MS, the only thing that held up to that standard was the Viva Pinata games.

The rest of their stuff was terrible or just re-releases of previous stuff.

Now they've been shuffled into a corner by MS and turned forcefully into a Natal and avatar division. A terrible fate for a previously fantastic developer.

What does the bottom of a Avatar's shoe look like indeed.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sipex wrote: »

Bolts one flaw to me was that it should have been more exploration and boss focuses with challenges limited to a few races and transport segments.

Those levels were huge but almost completely empty. Part of it was so they could make you go from A to B and have the time limit seem imposing . It got boring and there was little reason to explore them at all

Shadow of the Colossus was an okay game, but it would have been much better if you could get to every Colossi by walking down a narrow corridor for 20 seconds.

jothki on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Rare hasn't done a decent game in years (of course opinions vary). They did some awesome stuff under the watchful eye of Nintendo with the quality to boot, but since with MS, the only thing that held up to that standard was the Viva Pinata games.

Now they've been shuffled into a corner by MS and turned forcefully into a Natal and avatar division. A terrible fate for a previously fantastic developer.

Nuts & Bolts was pretty sweet. You should check it out if you haven't yet (ignore the godawful demo).

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Turkey wrote: »

Nuts & Bolts was pretty sweet. You should check it out if you haven't yet (ignore the godawful demo).

I keep trying to tell him, but he keeps resisting. :P

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Turkey wrote: »

I keep trying to tell him, but he keeps resisting. :P

I want to play a Banjo game, not Legoland guest starring Banjo. *whistles innocently*

:P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!