As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where you live sucks, too.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cabsy wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I'd just like to thank everyone for making me really appreciate Tallahassee. I mean, I already resigned myself to living here for the next 20 years, and it's not a bad place to live, but apparently I could be doing a hell of a lot worse.

I know what you mean - I was trying to think of comparable stuff to complain about from my home town, and there isn't much apart from it being fairly dull with a limited job market - and I'm not even sure about that, as I hightailed it out of there as soon as I left university.

I actually like my current town (the small one in Kentucky), but this is the 'things that suck' thread and not the 'omg I can get awesome produce that is primarily organic from the massive Amish community, it's beautiful here, and everyone is so friendly that sometimes it borders on obnoxious' thread... though I did just get my first phone bill and found out I'm going to pay nearly $37 in taxes on a $49.99 a month plan, so really, fuck this town for today.

Dude, get yourself some Shoofly Pie. It'll make you feel better.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Long Beach, CA is pretty nice. Fairly large-town, but still small enough that one can find quiet corners. It's far enough from the hustle-and-bustle of Los Angeles, yet close enough to it that if you want to hit the LA nightlife on the weekends, you can.

I live really close to the beach, so it's quite sweet. 10 minute bike ride and I'm on the sands.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Casual wrote: »
    I live in Aberdeen. It's nearly always depressingly grey and all the people are mostly fat, ugly, boring and stupid. Oh and nothing happens here because the population is small. The rest of the country calls us "sheep shaggers". Other than that it's great.
    Aberdeen is the UK's Gulag. I'm surprised they didn't build a third wall around it just to make sure no one got any ideas about leaving and trying to breed with another tribe. The only reason that the Age of Enlightenment ever made it there was because they figured it was a way to get out into the North Sea without having to deal with troublesome Norwegians.

I also couldn't understand a fucking word anyone was saying. I mean... damn... I'm really good with decyphering accents. Look, I'm the guy everyone goes and gets when people can't understand the Indian, Brazilian, Thai, or Chinese software developers. And, I couldn't understand a word and I believe these guys were speaking English. Or, "spakang anglash". They might as well have been speaking in Swahili.
    I don't think I've actually been to Tyler. I live in Mckinney, Texas, next to Plano.
    Don't go. Some things you never need to experience.

GungHo on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    Corning/Elmira/Binghamton, NY: NY is great at three things - pizza, taxes, and deer. Oh my god the deer population is absolutely fucking insane.

I went to Binghamton once. It was like Detroit but not as nice. I was interviewing for a job, and the interviewer told me that when she first moved there she suffered from depression for over a year because it was so shitty. This girl had moved there from Russia.

There are (or were, I haven't lived in that area for a while) a lot of nice smaller towns around that area, and a lot of people go to places like Ithaca or Rochester to hang out instead of Binghamton. It is cloudy a lot, supposedly it has the same amount of cloudy days as Seattle, cannot confirm or deny this but it is one of the 'facts' my mother came up with for getting my family to relocate.

At least you have Wegmans up there.

The three things I miss most about NY are probably Wegmans and good pizza (these are tied) and my grandparents and sister. I know it seems cold to put my family after Wegmans, but man, it's Wegmans.

cabsy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corning/Elmira/Binghamton, NY: NY is great at three things - pizza, taxes, and deer. Oh my god the deer population is absolutely fucking insane.

I went to Binghamton once. It was like Detroit but not as nice. I was interviewing for a job, and the interviewer told me that when she first moved there she suffered from depression for over a year because it was so shitty. This girl had moved there from Russia.

There are (or were, I haven't lived in that area for a while) a lot of nice smaller towns around that area, and a lot of people go to places like Ithaca or Rochester to hang out instead of Binghamton. It is cloudy a lot, supposedly it has the same amount of cloudy days as Seattle, cannot confirm or deny this but it is one of the 'facts' my mother came up with for getting my family to relocate.

The three things I miss most about NY are probably Wegmans and good pizza (these are tied) and my grandparents and sister. I know it seems cold to put my family after Wegmans, but man, it's Wegmans.

Given a choice between a family visit and a Wegman's visit? Let's just say I'll be eating well for the week afterwards.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    -_-

Well I'm not going to say anything about my current place....

But my hometown of Surrey BC is pretty much a big turd with doors every few meters for people to live. We've boasted the highest car theft rate for awhile, got up there with murder for awhile. Now, YAY GANGS TOO. But overall I sitll think its better than all those Vancouver weenies give it credit for (I lived in Kitsilano for awhile... Surrey's not that bad you hipsters)

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm really, really trying to think of something for Ottawa.

There was a poll recently saying that people were upset with public transit. It is frustrating lately but only because it's worse than what it was in the past. However compared to many places in America and quite a few smaller cities in Canada, it's not bad. We have frequent buses on many different routes.

The weather can be annoying but it's not as bad as Winterpeg, so can't really complain.

We seem to be doing alright.

Asiina on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    I'm really, really trying to think of something for Ottawa.

There was a poll recently saying that people were upset with public transit. It is frustrating lately but only because it's worse than what it was in the past. However compared to many places in America and quite a few smaller cities in Canada, it's not bad. We have frequent buses on many different routes.

The weather can be annoying but it's not as bad as Winterpeg, so can't really complain.

We seem to be doing alright.

Are the summers miserable too?

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They're pretty humid and hot most years. I guess that's annoying? I know it's worse in other places.

I'll say that going on vacation to Greece a few years back and finally understanding what a dry heat was like was very strange. Having it be 40C in the sun, but 20 in the shade without the WALL of oppressive heat was something interesting.

Asiina on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They're pretty humid and hot most years. I guess that's annoying? I know it's worse in other places.

I'll say that going on vacation to Greece a few years back and finally understanding what a dry heat was like was very strange. Having it be 40C in the sun, but 20 in the shade without the WALL of oppressive heat was something interesting.

Well, you have that then, while you don't experience the extremes both winter and summer suck. Meanwhile, most places that experience extremes at least get a break on the opposing season.

Sipex on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone said that Seattle's Mass transit and highway system was designed by complete silly geese? Because I would like to say Seattle's Mass transit and highway system was designed by silly geese.

Oh, and our gangs are primarily dumb ass kids who don't know why they are shooting each other. I mean, I get mad when my brother has to bury a friend from middle school who was led astray, but to ask why they are fighting and get "I dunno" as an answer, really makes me want to exchange certain people for some african refugees.

"Okay, Ahmed, from here on out, what is your name?"
    "Lamont Alexander Rudolf Lucas Anderson Ross."
    "Good boy."

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like how people who are complaining about their Canadian cities always end off their airing of grievances with 'at least we're not Winnipeg.'

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, like any good Ottawa resident, I hate Toronto with a firey passion, but this is supposed to be about hating the cities we live in, not giant pieces of self-righteous, rude, new york wannabe, shitholes that we've been forced to visit.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Omaha.

Racially divided, is essentially 3 different cities, and has the third highest black homicide rate in the nation, a lot of which can be blamed on the horrible "no snitching" culture.

The city is also going to need something other than a bus system for public transportation soon, but everyone is just ignoring it.

On the other hand it has one of the best zoos in the nation. The people are generally honest and have good intentions.

But it is overwhelmingly republican crazy once you get out of the main county the city sits in. I'm sure it's about the same in other metropolitan cities, but the white flight effect here is textbook and ridiculous. It also has the most millionaires per capita than any other city in the country. The rich/poor divide directly relates to the racial division.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Right in the heart of downtown Indianapolis (Literally) and I can't complain AT ALL. This apartment was a steal and I love it. 30 min walk from work (Not that bad, considering I could make it a 5min drive if I paid the parking). Indianapolis is a great city if you're looking for cheap living in a city with low unemployment/great job potential.

I <3 my city and my new place.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scarborough: Part of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). There was a small race war my first year of public highschool and there are certain areas of my neighbourhood that after a certain time, white people can't enter because they'll be attacked. Not very violent when compared to American cities but for Canadian standards I'd say it's not so great. It's a pretty boring place to live, with nothing to do and nothing unique to the place. No one visits Scarborough unless they have to, which is probably the biggest complaint you'll get, more than even the violence: it's just dull. If you're careful enough, and luck's on your side, you probably won't get in much trouble. The only good thing about Scarborough is that downtown Toronto's a half-hour transit ride away and Toronto is awesome (Ottawa can suck it). At least it's not Winnipeg.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like how people who are complaining about their Canadian cities always end off their airing of grievances with 'at least we're not Winnipeg.'
    It's ignorance really. Based on a lot of myth as well. The winters are bad but probably not statistically worse than a lot of parts along the same lines in Canada. Calgary had winter again just recently. It's Canada, it's like that.

It's the whole underdog myth too I think.

Lucid on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    It's ignorance really. Based on a lot of myth as well. The winters are bad but probably not statistically worse than a lot of parts along the same lines in Canada. Calgary had winter again just recently. It's Canada, it's like that.

I don't think it has much to do with the winters in Winnipeg, but just that Winnipeg is poorer than must other cities. Same reason why Regina gets slammed.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Long Beach, CA is pretty nice. Fairly large-town, but still small enough that one can find quiet corners. It's far enough from the hustle-and-bustle of Los Angeles, yet close enough to it that if you want to hit the LA nightlife on the weekends, you can.

I live really close to the beach, so it's quite sweet. 10 minute bike ride and I'm on the sands.

Certain parts of Long Beach are nice. I wouldn't go putting Eastside LB on any postcards, though.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I don't think it has much to do with the winters in Winnipeg, but just that Winnipeg is poorer than must other cities. Same reason why Regina gets slammed.

You don't have to justify the Winnipeg comparisons with anything. That's like trying to justify why sh!t is bad.

It just is. Winnipeg is Winnipeg by definition.

Barren, nothing to do, ugly as hell, brutal winters, car sized mosquitoes and blazing heat in the summer. Worst place in Canada? Probably.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scarborough: Part of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). There was a small race war my first year of public highschool and there are certain areas of my neighbourhood that after a certain time, white people can't enter because they'll be attacked. Not very violent when compared to American cities but for Canadian standards I'd say it's not so great. It's a pretty boring place to live, with nothing to do and nothing unique to the place. No one visits Scarborough unless they have to, which is probably the biggest complaint you'll get, more than even the violence: it's just dull. If you're careful enough, and luck's on your side, you probably won't get in much trouble. The only good thing about Scarborough is that downtown Toronto's a half-hour transit ride away and Toronto is awesome (Ottawa can suck it). At least it's not Winnipeg.

Wow, someone else finally mentioned Scarberia. I thought I was going to be the first.

The crime here can get kinda bad though. Stay away from the Warden, Kennedy, or Victoria Park subway station and you'll do fine.

Road work here never fucking happens. Fucking Vic Park is still a shit road to drive on. And all they are doing on the road is replacing pipes.

Wanna pick up a hooker, well go no further than Kingston road. Has some of the worst motels in the city along that road. Ontario housing is along the road as well. But then further down you have Guildwood which is a gated community, very weird.

And yeah, it is pretty boring here.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    uean wrote: »

You don't have to justify the Winnipeg comparisons with anything. That's like trying to justify why sh!t is bad.

Barren, nothing to do, ugly as hell, brutal winters, car sized mosquitoes and blazing heat in the summer. Worst place in Canada? Probably.
    I can`t consider ugly an actual observation. Winnipeg has some of the best greenspace in Canada. There`s two rivers flowing through it. I work with people from many different parts of the world, and one of the most common comments is that there`s such beautiful scenery within the city.

Nothing to do, I guess if you`re an uncultured moron, yeah. There`s a great and large arts and entertainment community and culture in Winnipeg that rival many larger cities in Canada.

The mosquitoes aren`t any bigger than any other mosquito. I don`t know where that comes from.

Brutal winters, maybe if you`re a pussy :p Again though, it`s no better or worse than a lot of Canada.

Like I said though. Pure ignorance really, that above post is a nice example.

It`s not an amazing city but there really aren`t many amazing cities. I may be moving myself after school to venture into better career opportunities. That`s one of the actual weaknesses of Winnipeg. Though many cities are like this as well.

Winnipeg isn`t that poor really either. I mean it has plenty of wealthy citizens. Global network started out in Winnipeg. There`s plenty of new developments happening, just that in my opinion they are usually not what`s needed for long term achievement.

Far from poor though. I can`t even consider Regina in the same league as Winnipeg really.

Lucid on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

My girlfriend used to go to school in Rochester and I was blown away by Wegmans (huge store, great selection, decent pre-prepared food). Pretty saddened to find out there were none really down by our home towns.

But then we moved down to Princeton Junction only to find out that theres a Wegmans five minutes away thats big enough to fucking have its own zip code.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Winnipeg does have brutally cold winters though - not just cold but windy cold... the mosquitos aren't really bigger, there are just way the hell more of them than most other urban centers (2 rivers and a massive flood plain)

Winnipeg does have some very nice things, but some not so nice things... such as most of the north end.

Oh and I almost forgot, they've got these evil fuckers in spades:
    canada-goose.jpg

Phisti on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hate those things.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    uean wrote: »

I can`t consider ugly an actual observation. Winnipeg has some of the best greenspace in Canada. There`s two rivers flowing through it. I work with people from many different parts of the world, and one of the most common comments is that there`s such beautiful scenery within the city.

Nothing to do, I guess if you`re an uncultured moron, yeah. There`s a great and large arts and entertainment community and culture in Winnipeg that rival many larger cities in Canada.

The mosquitoes aren`t any bigger than any other mosquito. I don`t know where that comes from.

Brutal winters, maybe if you`re a pussy :p Again though, it`s no better or worse than a lot of Canada.

Like I said though. Pure ignorance really, that above post is a nice example.

It`s not an amazing city but there really aren`t many amazing cities. I may be moving myself after school to venture into better career opportunities. That`s one of the actual weaknesses of Winnipeg. Though many cities are like this as well.

Winnipeg isn`t that poor really either. I mean it has plenty of wealthy citizens. Global network started out in Winnipeg. There`s plenty of new developments happening, just that in my opinion they are usually not what`s needed for long term achievement.

Far from poor though. I can`t even consider Regina in the same league as Winnipeg really.

Those seem like good points, but you're from Winnipeg so I can't trust anything you'd say. :P

t Fluffy: Ottawa rules, Toronto drools. Also you have smog problems.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I doubt Ottawa has anything to compare to the silcon-enhanced, East European-accented perfection that is the Brass Rail.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    I doubt Ottawa has anything to compare to the silcon-enhanced, East European-accented perfection that is the Brass Rail.

Dude, Zanzibar. A strip club so famous it was in the recent Incredible Hulk movie.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Wow, someone else finally mentioned Scarberia. I thought I was going to be the first.

The crime here can get kinda bad though. Stay away from the Warden, Kennedy, or Victoria Park subway station and you'll do fine.

Road work here never fucking happens. Fucking Vic Park is still a shit road to drive on. And all they are doing on the road is replacing pipes.

Wanna pick up a hooker, well go no further than Kingston road. Has some of the worst motels in the city along that road. Ontario housing is along the road as well. But then further down you have Guildwood which is a gated community, very weird.

And yeah, it is pretty boring here.

Waiting to connect to the RT at Kennedy station makes me more nervous than walking around downtown at night.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor LivingstoneDoctor Livingstone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chavs. Dublin is positively clogged with the sort of vulgar ruffians who devote their lives to petty banditry and hurling obscenities at constables.

Doctor Livingstone on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I go to school in Des Moines, and I like it for the most part. Downtown Des Moines actually feels like a city, with like tall buildings and everything. My school is slightly unfortunate because it is on the border of the bad part of town. I don't go exploring a lot, but Des Moines proper a nice enough town. The suburbs, like West Des Moines and all that, I could take 'em or leave 'em.

I grew up (and currently spending the summer) in Lincoln, Nebraska. I like it. I'd probably would have gone to UNL if I hadn't just spent my entire life in Lincoln, (like, if instead, I grew up in Omaha or Grand Island.) I just wanted to get some distance between me and my parents. Thinking about it for grad school.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seattle is full of people who spend more time wringing their hands over political items than actually getting shit done. And the mexican food sucks and scarce. And we're wholly unprepared for snow. And the mass transit makes the Bay Area look like the paragon of transit infrastructure. State run liquor stores. Bad fashion. Bad tans.

The weather is nice though.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Montrose, CO: If you've ever lived in NY and thought what you really needed was more taxes, or if you've ever lived in KY and thought you needed more racism and a frantic insane love of Jesus, you should move here. At least in KY they like jesus but they still have premarital sex; in Montrose, the only people who aren't saving themselves for marriage are skinheads. They also have state, county, and city taxes, so you pay nearly 9% on most items and pay 3-4% on foods such as milk, eggs, and bread.

All their girls are sluts too. First hand experience.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Am I the only one who finds it amusing when Canadians describe any Canadian city as being "rude"?

What, the folks who live there only apologize fifteen times an hour?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    California.

Jobs are impossible to find and the cheapest possible rent for a tiny hole in the wall in a house you share with 4-6 people is like $450 a month. From May till October, the tourists show up and all the roads are perpetually clogged with traffic.

Gets hot as fuck, too.

This.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Collingswood, NJ

Bigest problems is the usual Jersey ones Property Taxes and Auto Insurance rates.

OTH I can get to work without driving at all, can get to and from Philly via public transit 24/7 and I have a main street in town with lots of restaurants and the like.

Now if only Philadelphia could get their act together <sigh>.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dyrwen66 wrote: »
    Seattle, WA.

Tourists and the multinational corporations tend to jack up average price of goods around town.

I'm stuck in an internet monopoly with Broadstripe because I live downtown and the city has a deal with them, so I'm essentially trapped in the worst cable internet possible and can't manage wimax connections since my unit is closer to below street level. Kind of a weird slow connection to be stuck with..

There's... not much else that sucks here. Great public transportation, since I don't have a car, little pricey housing. Quite a few hipsters and PC centric people, but essentially living in the divide between the gay neighborhood and the poorer downtown-off-shoot areas makes for some good living. I guess it sucks a little that people from Eastern WA can still commute into town and bring their evil beliefs.. heh

I don't think so. Tourism provide hella jobs in the hotel and sightseeing industry and don't consume staple goods like groceries, alcohol, etc I can't fathom a good or service that is exceptionally high due to tourism.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario. It's going to be difficult but I'll try to pick only one sucky thing about this hellhole.

I guess I'll go with the public transportation, where they tore down the bus terminal for one side of the city without a plan A) Where to temporarily have the buses meet up, or B) Where to build the permanent replacement shelter.

Their plan was to have the buses stop nearby at City Hall, which is fine. That would be the temporary temporary terminal. Then they would move the temporary shelter to the permanent temporary shelter. Which is a 2 block length of street with no street lights, no traffic lights nearby for crossing, in the most violent, crime-ridden part of town. Outside of a meth clinic.

They've since reconsidered and are going to keep the buses at City Hall all year round until they decide on and build a new permanent terminal. They should decide by next spring, and have it built god knows when. It routinely hits -35 Celsius in winter. The temporary bus terminal is a large concrete sitting area outside City Hall, with two bus shelters for passengers. And by bus shelters, I mean 3-sided glass enclosures with gaps between the glass panels, the panels and the ground, and the panels and the ceiling. Each big enough to hold 6 people, or 4 people with baggage. At a bus terminal that at last count saw something over 1000 passengers a day.

I'd be more pissed off at this incompetent clusterfuck except I work 3 blocks away, so I won't be freezing to death in the winter.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds it amusing when Canadians describe any Canadian city as being "rude"?

What, the folks who live there only apologize fifteen times an hour?

No French Canadian has ever apologised for anything in the history of ever.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I live in Fargo, North Dakota.

We have no landscape and an annoying sizeable minority of right-leaning nutjobs. We also have a laughably bad public transportation system.

HappylilElf on